PDA

View Full Version : POLICE Stoppng Bikes Highway London

Darry
15-11-2007, 08:32 AM
Just counted 25 Cops (mostly Bike) stopping bikers on the Highway in London E1 (nr Tower Hill). So be warned.

Not sure what they're looking for, probably Plates/cans/tax etc... Looked out window and 2 were checking bikes over while the other 23 were standing around chatting and taking photos of each other! Now there's a good use of my taxes!

Darry.

J.P
15-11-2007, 08:50 AM
One of the bike cops I did my training with works the MET and said a while ago that Wapping Hiway was becoming a real problem as far as rider safety. Long road, always choca with traffic and lots of bikes overtaking, ESPECIALLY AROUND TRAFFIC ISLANDS, because they don't want to sit in traffic on their side of the road before they get past them.

A good few unintended collisions and a death or two.
They said they'd have to do something about it soon. Maybe that's today.

Darry
15-11-2007, 09:10 AM
One of the bike cops I did my training with works the MET and said a while ago that Wapping Hiway was becoming a real problem as far as rider safety. Long road, always choca with traffic and lots of bikes overtaking, ESPECIALLY AROUND TRAFFIC ISLANDS, because they don't want to sit in traffic on their side of the road before they get past them.

A good few unintended collisions and a death or two.
They said they'd have to do something about it soon. Maybe that's today.

Hmm, that's a possiblity, but I've been told be a collegue that they were stopping ALL bikes earlier.

And why stop bikes only... the collisions were most likely to have been with cars/trucks, so how about stopping them to give them some bike education.

The easiest solution to rider safety, is let us use the Bus lanes!

Darry.

Diego
15-11-2007, 10:19 AM
Must be some kind of directive. Since last night I saw police stopping (mostly scooters) all over the City and North London.

I mean more than usual....

What annoyed me the most they were blocking traffic on shoreditch high street during rush hour grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

cinders
15-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Hmm, that's a possiblity, but I've been told be a collegue that they were stopping ALL bikes earlier.

And why stop bikes only... the collisions were most likely to have been with cars/trucks, so how about stopping them to give them some bike education.

Darry.

We can now use bus lanes in plymouth, so I might be spreading unless we are the pilot scheme for the rest of the country :)

gremlin
15-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Considering how the collate the accident rate we're on a losing wicket. Any off is included, so putting your foot in a pothole and dropping your bike is deemed as bad as a collision. Come the revolution! It's a pity they don't round up anti-social cyclists as well, running red lights, riding on pavements doing illegal turns etc. Surely all the laws on discrimination etc could be used against them, after all we do seem to be targeted more than any other group.

slob
15-11-2007, 10:15 PM
We can now use bus lanes in plymouth, so I might be spreading unless we are the pilot scheme for the rest of the country :)

There are a number of pilot schemes in London too, A13 and A23 are the ones I use regularly but I don't there's much danger of it spreading because that would involve politicians making a decision that actually made a difference, far better to spend another few million quid of taxpayers' money continuing the study than actually change anything. "Look progressive, remain electable but FFS don't rock the boat!"

Paivi
20-11-2007, 12:47 PM

Darry.
There aren't any bus lanes on the Highway, but plenty suicidal riding... Cars & trucks have pretty well nowhere to go on that overcrowded road with narrow lanes.

I do that commute daily and am constantly wondering how some of the fellow PTW riders are still alive.

Checking papers, plates & cans is pretty pointless for that, though. What they should be doing is place cameras along the route and make the bikers watch the footage of their antics so they could see how insane some of their manoeuvres were.

Another thing that should be done is to ban trucks & container lorries from riding through downtown London during the rush hour.

Darry
20-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Another thing that should be done is to ban trucks & container lorries from riding through downtown London during the rush hour.

Now that's a good idea!

slob
20-11-2007, 04:14 PM
The last thing this country needs is more cameras!
An operation to stop all passing bikes for one day every couple of years is hardly a substitute for traffic officers 'on the ground' on a daily basis.
All these cameras are doing nothing to stop the mobile phone users and drivers who simply don't have a clue, that try to kill me every day.

gremlin
20-11-2007, 09:26 PM
It may do if they snapped the wotsit doing it and sent a NIP through the post.

ladybird
20-11-2007, 10:02 PM
i heard it was to catch all them naughties with no tax or licences
(but probably they all went the other way)