PDA

View Full Version : Rossi move to Ducati?

Mand
09-11-2007, 11:59 AM
Just heard this on the radio......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/motorbikes/7086898.stm

gremlin
09-11-2007, 12:11 PM
Bliss! No more divided loyalties, just hope Ducati can afford him.

Will
09-11-2007, 12:26 PM
Just heard this on the radio......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/motorbikes/7086898.stm

Would Stoner allow it to happen?

neilbaldry
09-11-2007, 12:28 PM
great news! tho who would make way for him? Stoner or Melandri? or maybe run a 3 bike team of megastars?

DevilBoy
09-11-2007, 12:35 PM
I used to like Rossi.

Now i just think he's a whinging cry baby.
He was outclassed this season. Simple.

If he wants to throw in the 'Better Bike', or 'Better tyres' card, just look at every season he's won. He's always been on the better bike and tyres.

He's just having a moan because he has to try hard now, instead of walking it.

Having an all star Ducati team is a bad idea I think. I like backing the underdog.

Pedro
09-11-2007, 12:50 PM
He wasn't outclassed this season, just look at the other Yamaha riders results to see how crap the bike was. Rossie spent the year riding it beyond normal limits just to try to be competitive. There is no doubt that Stoner on the Ducati/Bridgestone combi was the worthy champion but the Yamaha/Michelin combi was off the pace.

Any sportsman given a chance to use better equipment would fight for it as Rossi has done to get the Bridgestones. Pedrosa, Hayden and others tried but failed.

Mand
09-11-2007, 12:53 PM
He wasn't outclassed this season, just look at the other Yamaha riders results to see how crap the bike was. Rossie spent the year riding it beyond normal limits just to try to be competitive. There is no doubt that Stoner on the Ducati/Bridgestone combi was the worthy champion but the Yamaha/Michelin combi was off the pace.

Any sportsman given a chance to use better equipment would fight for it as Rossi has done to get the Bridgestones. Pedrosa, Hayden and others tried but failed.

I agree with my southern softy friend, he is a class act. He was unlucky to lose the championship in 2006. Very unlucky.

DevilBoy
09-11-2007, 12:57 PM
Well michelins where doing well at the end of the season. Fair enough the bike was naff, and you could tell they where suprised by the other bikes (Duc and Honda), which is why they chucked the kitchen sink into every race.

But Rossi has had it too good for too long. Switching companies to prove how ace he is etc. Its about time someone showed him that he ain invincible (i.e. last year), and he can and will be beat.

Stoner is going to get better and better I think.
Than i'll probably start hating him eventually too! :gay:

Mand
09-11-2007, 01:02 PM
I was beginning to dislike Casey by the end of THIS season, I was bored to tears with him winning and I support Ducati! I just hope to god it is more exciting next year. COME ON JT!!!! :bunny:

We need an ENGLISH man to win, even though he will be on a Yam and the chances are slim.... :D

fatbloke
09-11-2007, 02:35 PM
Switching companies to prove how ace he is

successfully!!

this is the first year Rossi has finished a series out of the top 2 since 1996!!

weather you like him or not, on a bike he is a fecking genius.

IMO if Rossi and Stoner raced on the same bike, tyre's etc Rossi would win, but I dont think
we've seen the best of Cassey yet.

neilbaldry
09-11-2007, 02:36 PM
to be honest, i cant wait to see what Sylvain Guintoli can do on the satellite Duc. its always funny watching Europsort and listening to Toby and Julian rooting for him!

and when it comes to Rossi having it easy. T'is true. Until Hayden won in 2006, Rossi pretty much walked it every year. yeah hes got alot of talent, but hey, having the best bike/tyres combo helps alot!

Tho i bet he could take the Desmo development program alot further in a few seasons than whats been done already

Kato
09-11-2007, 02:40 PM
NOooooooooooo not that over-rated over-hyped wingeing little tosspot I hope he stays on the rice burner.......If ducati must have another Italian rider then it has to be mighty MAX B

neilbaldry
09-11-2007, 02:42 PM
i dont think JT will have a great year on the tech-twat Yamaha. i mean, a satellite team, not on Bridgestones? was he not watching what an awful season Yamaha had (both factory and privateer teams?)

i felt sorry for Colin Edwards.

gremlin
09-11-2007, 02:48 PM
I'm with Pedro, Rossi had useless machinery this year but still managed to get in top three and had said machinery finished the last race he would have still been second. How can anyone say it was all down to Stoners superior talent, he couldn't keep the bike on the track up till this year. Yes it was good to see a Duke winning and yes it was good to see Rossi have to work for every point but he did pretty well considering he had two engines fail, and tyres shred way before everyone elses. Hayden had a better set up etc and he finished way down the field. I would like to see Rossi and Stoner on the same bikes and see who really has got the talent.

banditloon
09-11-2007, 02:57 PM
if ducati must have another Italian rider then it has to be mighty MAX B

WHAT!!!! :thumbsdown:

That's very wrong... I'd rather have Pedtosa on the Ducati then the ultimate moaning, tempremental, toys out of pram Italian....

Actually Biaggi sounds like my bike......

neilbaldry
09-11-2007, 03:03 PM
isnt Biaggi with sterilgarda in WSB for next year?

farl
09-11-2007, 03:55 PM
Yes, http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/02112007/58/season-2008-biaggi-joins-sterilgarda.html

Should be good!

Kiwi
09-11-2007, 04:23 PM
Bliss! No more divided loyalties, just hope Ducati can afford him.

can they afford not to have him?

Thumper
09-11-2007, 04:25 PM
I support Colin Edwards and I felt sorry for him this year. There was clearly a tyre problem and some bike problems which saw both Edwards and Rossi suffer.

I personally detest Rossi, I think hes an amazing rider but hes so arrogant and I am bored of his whinging whether its justifiable or not. Edwards just takes it on the chin, picks himself up and carries on. At least Edwards still has his dignity, Rossi has lost a lot of fans this year with his moaning. I am on several forums and this is the hot topic and a lot of Rossi supporters are now turning against him.

I doubt very much Rossi will go to Ducati, it would be handbags at dawn between him and Stoner.

On the subject of Stoner I think hes really matured this year and hes a good young talent. Yes he had a great bike and good tyres but a lot is still the rider and he rode well.

I look forward to neat year, my 2 favourite riders on the same team JT and CE!! Woohoo, go Team Tech 3 Yamaha! (and Ducati) :biggrin:

gremlin
09-11-2007, 04:58 PM
Yup, Colin is a sweetie and he and JT will be a good team, no egos both hard workers. Just hope the bikes do them justice.

Mand
09-11-2007, 06:47 PM
and when it comes to Rossi having it easy. T'is true. Until Hayden won in 2006, Rossi pretty much walked it every year.

And if my memory serves me well, I believe Rossi fell off at the last race and got back on his bike. Hayden won the championship by default. (and where was that "champion" :rolleyes: this season??) I've been watching the GP for a few years and I can't recall Rossi making a habit of chucking his bike down the road, except for breaking his hand in 3 places in qualifying!

Love or hate him, he is a legend.

I did like the way a certain Mr. Bayliss won the last race of that season. :D

bigredduke
09-11-2007, 07:16 PM
I don't think Rossi is arrogant at all. He loves winning & is naturally disappointed when he falls short. Whenever I have heard him interviewed after a race where he didn't win, he usually has been philosophical and honest about his or the bike's shortcomings.

I would love to see him on a Ducati but didn't Gerry Burgess move with him from Honda to Yamaha? That could be problematical.

Scotty
09-11-2007, 07:21 PM
I don't think Rossi is arrogant at all. He loves winning & is naturally disappointed when he falls short. Whenever I have heard him interviewed after a race where he didn't win, he usually has been philosophical and honest about his or the bike's shortcomings.

I would love to see him on a Ducati but didn't Gerry Burgess move with him from Honda to Yamaha? That could be problematical.

he's not in such a strong position to make such demands this time though

gremlin
09-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Rossi is amazing and I do think his team let him down this year, taking nothing away from Colin Edwards because I have got a soft spot for him but if they had the same spec bikes why wasn't he challenging Rossi. I'd love to see Stoner do as well as Rossi on that bike. Last year there were all the problems with chatter and this year it just didn't have the same power, and the tyres were awful. You can't win races with a bad bike, and Stoner had a really good bike which flattered his talents. Yes Stoner has had a good season and I hope it continues because we need new blood but Rossi is still a better rider and has proved he is consistant over so many years. I'd love to see the pair of them on Ducatis because they'd wipe the floor with the opposition. Hopefully Stoner will be a worthy successor to Il Dottore when the time comes.

crust
10-11-2007, 12:22 AM
love it

when Rossi wins, he is the best rider ever

when he loses, its the bike or the team or the tyres

up till this year he's had the best tyres Michelin could make on saturday night, Colin Edwards - whos been Michelins top tester for a few years wasnt given the Yamaha ride as Rossi's team mate because of his abilities as a racer, his results prove that.

Surprise, surprise, Rossi's not on Michelins, bye bye Colin, as a reward you get the Tech Trois ride

Dont think tyres are the be all, look at Casey Stoner, last year he could hold onto the front, this year, decent tyres ta da

or how about Tony Elias, spent all season asking for a front tyre, no where, he gets the one he wants for Portugal and he beats Rossi, on a customer Honda

never mind putting him on a Ducati, put him on a customer bike without the most successfull race engineer ever

:) Crust

Duncan
10-11-2007, 09:18 AM
At the end of the day the stats say it all.

Rossi multiple world champ.

Hayden champion in 2006 with the lowest wins and points total of the Moto GP era.

Stoner 2007 World Champ with one of the highest points totals of the Moto GP era. This points total is similar to that of Rossi when he was on the Honda which coincidentally was the best bike on the best tyres at the time.

Like it or not, the stats tell the story. Rossi and Stoner both the real thing. Hayden was a champion by default. If Capirossi hadnt have been injured for 3 races mid 2006 then he would most likely have been world champ with Rossi 3rd.

gremlin
10-11-2007, 03:16 PM
I think they ought to have a masters competition like they do in showjumping (they have to swap horses). Each rider has to try the others machines on every track, it then proves without a doubt who is the best rider. I'd hazard a guess that a certain Mr Rossi would do pretty well.

Stuart42
11-11-2007, 08:15 AM
Hi all

I personally think it would be great for Rossi to join.

Don't get me wrong I like Casey but Rossi is still the better.

I know a lot of people say he's moans when he loses but come on hands up all those who have been out for a ride with their mates and if you're not the fastest you 'were stuck behind slower traffic', bloke pulled out in front of me etc.

We're all guilty of coming up with some excuse or other for being not quite as fast. Also there's the other side to admitting you weren't as fast. Teams might not want to employ you, also the competition won't see you as a threat.

The only downside is that when Rossi wins for Ducati the winning shirts which you can buy at your dealer will cost 46 quid instead of the bargain 27 that Stoner's costs, count your lucky starts Cappirossi didn't win.

Cheers
Stuart

ricky
11-11-2007, 09:00 AM
If you ask any random person in the world if they can name a motorbike racer nearly everytime you will get 'ROSSI', the man is a legend, but we that follow bike racing forget how long he has been around because he is still young!! He will be talked about by generations and i think next season could be his most impressive yet, look at Formula 1 this year....... a rookie in a good packge lifts the bar, next year it will be even better and i bet the old and bolds will be back with all guns blazing!! same in moto gp!!!

But rossi on a Ducati?? I bet corse merchandise will fly out the door!:thumbsup:

Thumper
11-11-2007, 09:26 AM
I think they ought to have a masters competition like they do in showjumping (they have to swap horses).

Thats a good idea, now lets stick John Whitaker on a Ducati and see how he does :mand:

ricky
11-11-2007, 10:13 AM
I think they ought to have a masters competition like they do in showjumping (they have to swap horses). Each rider has to try the others machines on every track, it then proves without a doubt who is the best rider. I'd hazard a guess that a certain Mr Rossi would do pretty well.

well look what happened when they stuck him in a WRC car or a F1 car!! he kicked butt!! :yoparty:

crust
11-11-2007, 10:40 AM
well look what happened when they stuck him in a WRC car or a F1 car!! he kicked butt!! :yoparty:

well until he got to the first stage, then he stuck it in a ditch, threw a strop, got a lift home without a word to the team, sponsors, anyone

ok, he's very good but not as good as his followers make him out to be

if he goes to Ducati, though why they'd pay the huge sums he demands for losing, dont expect to see any Ducati corse stuff with Rossi on it, he wont allow it

or expect to see him and his team mate on the same spec bike, he wont allow it

its this side of him I dont like

would he have won as much as he has if his team mates had the same equipment or tyres he has?

he will be talked about for years but so was Agostini until another rider got equal equipment

:)Crust

ricky
11-11-2007, 10:47 AM
jeepers crust you not a fan then?? :eek:

god i wish i had rossi's life though!! and now he gets the best ducati in the world to play with......... jammy git!!!:mand:

crust
11-11-2007, 11:28 AM
its not that I'm not a fan, I think he could the best rider of his generation

he's certainly got a flair for marketing and a team behind him who are very good at exploiting that marketability

he's a master of media manipulation and the phsycological wind up

possibly the second most complete 'sportsman superstar' after Beckham

other riders have just got on with the job and sadly now thats not enough, they have to arrange some increasingly pathetic display to celebrate

if Stone did the pantomime antics, gurning to the camera, he'd be a god, instead an fantastic victory is being diminished by a carefully orchestrated campaign

its the first time a non Japanese factory has won for thirty years, Ducati is minute compared to any of the japs, stoner has ridden superbly all year, under enormous pressure but kept his cool and not made mistakes

anytime anyone threatens rossi's winning he's rubbished

look at Hayden, he rode a development bike, often testing new parts up until final qualifying, it broke, the clutch was rubbish, Pedrosa got the Lions share of the teams attention, he rode his heart out, didn't whinge and won the ultimate challenge for a motorcycle racer, his bike wasn't good enough to win but he didn't give up and through a strop or demand different tyres or rule changes

rossi mania means that now everyone rubbishes his victory

the cult of personality is blinding people to other riders achievements

I'm a fan of racers, the other crap is a distraction

oh, and the ducatisti seem to have short memories, before they were winning he wasn't interested about riding for them, too much team politics and PR work

do we want him jumping on our bandwagon now that he's losing and a new generation of talented racers are coming through?

I'd rather see Dovizioso, a real racer, he's done fantasticaly on an underpowered Honda, not whinged, just ridden his heart out, a joy to watch an underdog giving it his all, a racer not a pantomime clown

:) Crust

Pedro
11-11-2007, 12:04 PM
Dovi would be ace on a duke

Mr Cake
11-11-2007, 03:15 PM
I'd rather see Dovizioso, a real racer, he's done fantasticaly on an underpowered Honda, not whinged, just ridden his heart out, a joy to watch an underdog giving it his all, a racer not a pantomime clown
Interesting seeing as you could have used Bradley Smith as an example. Oh God sorry, he's not Italian is he!? Not everything Italian is triff and brill!

Why is it that Marco was allowed to switch tyre companies for the '07 season without anybody moaning? Or that Sylvan Guintoli's switch to Ducati hasn't sparked any controversy. Its because Rossi is still the best rider out there and you know it.

do we want him jumping on our bandwagon
Whats all this 'our' stuff? How amusing. Rossi wants a fast bike so he can do the business again. You can't blame him for that. He's not bothered whats written on the tank. If Ilmor were doing well he'd want to go there, so don't think its just because it is Ducati. His current team sorry, 'we' will build him a fast bike for next year, not to worry.

Dovi would be ace on a duke
Are KTM back in it now?

Dave

crust
11-11-2007, 03:54 PM
Interesting seeing as you could have used Bradley Smith as an example. Oh God sorry, he's not Italian is he!? Not everything Italian is triff and brill!

Why is it that Marco was allowed to switch tyre companies for the '07 season without anybody moaning? Or that Sylvan Guintoli's switch to Ducati hasn't sparked any controversy. Its because Rossi is still the best rider out there and you know it.

Whats all this 'our' stuff? How amusing. Rossi wants a fast bike so he can do the business again. You can't blame him for that. He's not bothered whats written on the tank. If Ilmor were doing well he'd want to go there, so don't think its just because it is Ducati. His current team sorry, 'we' will build him a fast bike for next year, not to worry.

Are KTM back in it now?

Dave

You really think Bradley Will be in MOTOGP in 2008?

Dovi will be there next year, it will give him a year to learn then progress to a full factory team.

I'd love to see Bradley Smith on a Ducati, but straight from a 125 to a full factory Ducati, cant see it happening.

Gresini switched to Bridgestones before they were the best tyre and he didn't threaten to retire if he didn't get them, he might have stamped his foot, cant say.

As for Guintoli going to D'antin, personaly I think he's earnt more than that but there you go. Certainly nothing controversial there, bloke does well on a privateer bike on Dunlops, then gets a better (?) ride, why would that spark controversy.

I hope JT does as well and gets a better ride as a result of it.

As for Rossi being the best, not according to the record books, they show to him be second last year and third this. Thats a fact, live with it.

As for him going to Ducati, my personal view is that he needs it more than them, instead of going for a populist but ultimately unsuccessfull move, I'd like to see them looking to the future with a younger rider.

As for next year I'm sure he'll have a fresh set of excuses, 1st, 2nd, 3rd - ooh look a pattern forming

:)Crust

David Matthews
11-11-2007, 04:15 PM
I'd love to see Rossi as Stoner's team mate on a Ducati. I think Rossi would be quicker, especially on the tighter circuits. I would certainly make an effort to watch more races.

He seems to be under the microscope regarding what he says and how he says it. He's a trmendous asset to MotoGP and more wider ranging aspects of biking. My only criticism is the way he acted after his last corner incident with Gibernau, I think other riders may have been penalised for the incident, but that was a couple of years ago.

gremlin
11-11-2007, 04:32 PM
The thing is, love him or hate him Rossi is good for biking, he's got people interested in two wheeled sport. Even my mum is a fan now and watches WSB as well as GP. Stoner has the potential, but up till now he hasn't exactly been consistant. Not many riders can bring a bike home in the top three with the tyres down to the webbing. It's been fantastic watching a tiny team take it to the big boys and thrash them but I think it would have been interesting if Rossi had had better equipment. Roll on next year! We'll have JT to cheer on.