PDA

View Full Version : registration plate size

bigredduke
08-11-2007, 08:23 PM
Just been doing a bit of research on another matter & came across the Association of Chief Police Officer (ACPO) of England, Wales & Northern Ireland Motorcycle Enforcement Strategy For England, Wales & Northern Ireland document.

As far as I am aware, ACPO policies dictate how Police Forces should conduct themselves in particular situations.

On page 5:
• Registration plates, the test to be applied, if not easily legible from 20.5 metres, prosecution and inform DVLA.

Whilst accepting that this is a technical offence, there are concerns regarding the misuse of registration plates on motorcycles.

It is well recognised that there are many technological advances in automated detection and enforcement equipment, most of which rely upon remote reading of registration plates.

It is difficult for enforcement agencies to differentiate between the individual who wishes to make a fashion statement or enhance the appearance of their machine from one who is deliberately attempting to avoid detection for criminal purposes.

It is with this rationale that it has been decided not to focus on the technicalities of the size of the plate or font size to comply with current legislation, but to apply a simple test of legibility, based upon the standard eyesight test for riders and drivers.

Another section that caught my eye was at the top of page 7:

It is recommended that where road checks are utilised care must be taken not to unnecessarily delay motorcyclists. The checks should be well resourced and focussed on specific issues. Motorcyclists should be told why they are being stopped and generalised trawling for offences is not recommended.

A high visible presence and instant intervention is more effective than covert monitoring or remote camera detection and justice by post.

interesting eh?
here is the link:http://www.acpo.police.uk/asp/policies/Data/motorcycle_enforcement_strategy_website.doc

Might just be worth printing out & keeping about your person, in the event of being stopped by the fuzz for a small plate!

Do be aware that this is dated June 2006 & is due for review January 2008.

Bodybag
08-11-2007, 09:00 PM
You print that off and keep it in your pocket if you want but I can already predict exactly what will happen if you pull that out and start waving it in a coppers face...

:(

Thumper
08-11-2007, 09:18 PM
It is recommended that where road checks are utilised care must be taken not to unnecessarily delay motorcyclists

Darn tooting. Like I told a cop the other day "can ya hurry up with my £60 fine and rectification notice, my noisy illegal ASBO exhausts are getting cold" :mand:

neilbaldry
09-11-2007, 01:00 AM
so, recently, coppers have seemed to be looking for any excuse to book yer, with directions seemingly coming from the powers that be. and with this, it seems the powers that be have directed a totally different protocol.

is this a case of 'its not that the govt. keep this a secret, its just they dont spell it out for you'??

you so know you'd get beat down if you try and tell the fuzz how to do their job!

although quoting the above references in a court of law after getting pulled for a small plate and getting a fine (and contesting it) could force the police to change their tact.

Kiwi
09-11-2007, 05:58 AM
You print that off and keep it in your pocket if you want but I can already predict exactly what will happen if you pull that out and start waving it in a coppers face...

:(

If you have a justifiable reason for fitting a smaller plate ask them to write the ticket out and that you look forward to defending it in court

I got a ticket for an illegal plate once when I to court the plods refused to provide any evidence for the prosecution as I had far stronger evidence to defend my case and they were worried about losing their case and creating legal precident which would open the doors for everybody to use the same method to defeat their ticket

JerryXt
09-11-2007, 06:41 AM
I was told by the previous owner of old yella that number plate size will be an mot issue next year.

Thumper
09-11-2007, 07:38 AM
OK, sensible reply from me now ;)

On 2 occassions I have been stopped for plate size and both times been let off.

The first was my XT660X, it had ultra high level arrow exhausts which "burnt the numberplate officer" so I was let off for having a small plate.

The second was my CBR400, its a small bike and there isnt enough space between the original indicators to fit a standard size plate, again I was let off after he got his tape measure out.

I reckon its got to be a very justifiable reason to have a small plate to be let off but at the end of the day in 7 years of riding I've only been stopped twice for plate size and all my bikes have small plates. I go for 8x6 as its not silly small but neat and tidy for the bike.

JerryXt
09-11-2007, 09:19 AM
hehehehe - my Xt doesn't burn the number plate, just anyone standing behind it :D

BANG :flamed: :devil: BBWWWWhahahahahahahahahaha

neilbaldry
09-11-2007, 11:20 AM
ive got a 7x5.

but with my hi-level zards and tail chop, nothing bigger will fit. thing is, when i got stopped, the coppers knew it had been chopped and told me to rectify it. the buggers...........

Bodybag
09-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Tell 'em to get stuffed. That'll work about as well as waving the ACPO guidelines in their face!! :D

Thumper
09-11-2007, 04:09 PM
hehehehe - my Xt doesn't burn the number plate, just anyone standing behind it :D

BANG :flamed: :devil: BBWWWWhahahahahahahahahaha

:yoparty: hahahahaha nutter. My arrow pipes burnt my numberplate and my aftermarket indicators! Maybe I mounted em too high :o

madgaz
10-11-2007, 08:58 AM
my plate is 6x4 1/2 and im gna change it but i dnt no what to change it to becoause if the plod stopped me i would'nt hav no excuse but it will look stupid with any bigger on :devil:
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee219/madgaz_bucket/HPIM0510.jpg