PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Monster - Poll

CK & AK
07-11-2007, 06:56 AM
Following on from the thread about the new 696 Monster, here is a poll.

As hardly anyone has seen it in the flesh, and nobody has ridden it, this is PURELY on looks from the photos released & spec accompanying

C:)

J.P
07-11-2007, 07:35 AM
All new designs take a while to get used to and this will be no different.
I think they've done the right thing by keeping the basic style the same .
Though I do think they've lost some of the agression of the current bikes, and that pillion seat looks a bit high.

Kato
07-11-2007, 08:04 AM
Its Pants...................

Thumper
07-11-2007, 10:08 AM
After seeing it about a million times I still like it. I dont love it, I just like it at the minute. Cant wait to see it in the flesh and have a go on one.

Blind Alan
07-11-2007, 10:56 AM
Definatley not liking it, it makes me think that they only doing the 696 to gauge reaction to it. If it doesnt sell well, they still have the old style to fall back on. Probably learnt a lesson from the 999.:look:

Julie
07-11-2007, 11:12 AM
it looks like to many other bikes on the market at the moment.

Dave G
07-11-2007, 11:31 AM
I think you need more options.
I dont loathe it enough to say that and dont like enough of it to say its great.
Its a curates egg! - good in places

Nonnie
07-11-2007, 11:35 AM
It's gorgeous.

And that's that!

banditloon
07-11-2007, 11:39 AM
:banghead:

Just had the discussion at work. It's wrong. Very wrong indeed. Then again, looking at the new models in Bike mag, they are all wrong. Something about new bikes, they just don't have that 'grab me by the bollocks' look any more....

Now my old Ninja or the old Monster, that's a different thing :D Off to search for a 1997 ZX600F3 :D

Mand
07-11-2007, 12:40 PM
It's gorgeous.

And that's that!

I love it and I love those pipes.

Mand who is half blind and has mental health issues.
(Please see other thread) :biggrin:

Darry
07-11-2007, 04:40 PM
Very disapointing, Where have the curves gone?

Looks like its been made from lots of different bikes.

...the Duck Billed Platypus of the bike world!

Big Daft Lad
07-11-2007, 04:53 PM
Pass the sick bag! It looks like somebody has skelped the front with a hammer then fitted loads of bits off a Jap bike.

We already have one too many ugly Ducati's! Stop it now!!!

Bodybag
07-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Loving it and you might well see me on one in the new year after a test ride (if its not too small)!! :D

Scotty
07-11-2007, 05:10 PM
I've decided i miss the trellis frame the most, things like silencers and headlights mudguards etc can and will be yours to change in after market parts

whereas the frame or subframe kinda make it less appealing somehow

I like the extra ground clearance
I like the smart car plastic tank covers could/should make it cheaper to crash

I would like to see a picture of the clocks since you look at them whilst riding

I'm not going to vote on this poll its a bit rubbish (most frequently used word at work and seems to be following me home :worried: )

sadbiker
07-11-2007, 05:57 PM
Hopefully a sign off things to come on other models, lets hope that it handles as good as the other monsters.

The Kevlar Kid
07-11-2007, 06:35 PM
Loathe is probably too strong as I do like some elements of it, but I certainly don't love it and wouldn't buy one. The front ends a mess, and the rest of it does look a bit like everything else on the market - in which case you may as well buy something Jap.

I'll have a look at the Bike Show though - looking forward to seeing the 848, it'll be either one of them or a 1098 next year I think.

Blah blah
07-11-2007, 07:00 PM
Blurgh... 'orrible, they're just trying too hard

gary tompkins
07-11-2007, 08:27 PM
I'll reserve final judgement until I get back from Milan

but at the moment it's very much :thumbsdown:

Mand
07-11-2007, 08:29 PM
I'll reserve final judgement until I get back from Milan

but at the moment it's very much :thumbsdown:

You may think differently GT if it had three wheels.... :mand:

Rusty35
07-11-2007, 09:07 PM
I have some photographs taken from the Milan Motor show if anyone is interested! I was sent them today from Markus at P&H. You may have seen them; they have an Italian chick astride the Bike with leather slacks on! They are 360 shot's but none of the clocks. Markus said something a little worrying like it was quiet due to the new legislation like most Bikes. Surely it would have not lost the traditional Monster sound, cans or no new cans? If you want the pictures send me an email and I will forward them from work in the am as I am going to gorp at the site for a little be longer and then decide if I will be laying down my deposit on Sat or going for the S2R. It smell's a little like the Aprillia Shiver to me...?

Rusty35
:yoparty:

Darry
07-11-2007, 10:53 PM
Loving it and you might well see me on one in the new year after a test ride (if its not too small)!! :D

I saw what you did with your Monster... I really don't value your opinion! :woot:

Darry
07-11-2007, 10:56 PM
I have some photographs taken from the Milan Motor show if anyone is interested! I was sent them today from Markus at P&H. You may have seen them; they have an Italian chick astride the Bike with leather slacks on! They are 360 shot's but none of the clocks. Markus said something a little worrying like it was quiet due to the new legislation like most Bikes. Surely it would have not lost the traditional Monster sound, cans or no new cans? If you want the pictures send me an email and I will forward them from work in the am as I am going to gorp at the site for a little be longer and then decide if I will be laying down my deposit on Sat or going for the S2R. It smell's a little like the Aprillia Shiver to me...?

Rusty35
:yoparty:

That should make the bike look better ;)

neilbaldry
08-11-2007, 12:29 AM
I saw what you did with your Monster... I really don't value your opinion! :woot:

oooooh! check you!!! lol hilari-arse!

BoozyBOB
08-11-2007, 12:37 AM
there is something just not ... !! ... there
some good points but the bad points are too many...then again in the flesh it might be ok... i will save judgement..:dizzy:

jerry
08-11-2007, 04:33 AM
I think it looks aweful , 1098 alao looks crap just a clone of a Yamaha R1 , no individuality , i think Ducati have lost the plot now they are run by accountants not engineers with passion.

damon
08-11-2007, 06:08 AM
I dont exactly hate it, it could be better looking donr get me wrong but it wouldnt take alot to give it the face lift it needs, new light maybe, set of pipes, seat cowl etc,,,,,,,

check out the gallery here

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/ducati-monster-696/475865/

Guzzirider
08-11-2007, 06:28 AM
Bland, lacking in inspiration, smacking of "we thought we had to update it but did not feel brave enough to be radical". I think even Ducati have a lack of confidence with this model- just putting their toe in the water to see what happens with one engine size while the rest of the range stays as is.

This the land of mountains, sexy women, Verona, Florence, brilliant architecture, great pasta, Maserati, fine wines, the Cistine Chapel and designers that normally have a strong pulse and a twinkle in their eye.

Let me ask this question- is this the work of a passionate designer who enjoys beautiful things, rides very fast on his way to work on twisty mountain roads, takes a 2 hour lunch break to shag his beautiful mistress and drink 2 bottles of wine before going back to his drawing board in the late afternoon full of inspiration and ideas?

Or is this bike desgned by a man who drives sensibly to work in his German car, does not take a lunch break because he wants to impress his boss, drinks fizzy water and takes his inspiration from looking at new models at the Tokyo show and listening to Celine Dion on his IPOD?

Ducati is the company that brought us the original beautiful 750SS, the groundbreaking 916, the original and innovative Monster, the mental Hypermotard- but what the hell is this thing- a Honda?

Rant over!

Thumper
08-11-2007, 07:09 AM
Is it just me or does it look like it finally has a decent (ok huge) amount of ground clearance? There, thats a good thing! :)

I wanted fully adjustable suspension though and it still aint got that.

I've got the biggest ever pros and cons list here and its growing by the day! Wonder what other colours its gonna come in, how much its gonna be, when its gonna be OTR.

I've decided I dont like the headlight, it looks like an FZ1's headlight. The exhausts definately will need replacing with megaphones. It needs a nice screen too. And some flatter black renthals. And some better mirrors and indicators. It also needs a single sided swingarm. And a seat cowl. And a longer front mudguard. The headlight looks too low and now I dont like the subframe, I want an all trellis frame. I dont want digital clocks either. I want 2 big dials, white dials as well, they look cool.

Now look what you made me do, I'm picking it to pieces now :chuckle:

eonan
08-11-2007, 07:12 AM
Or is this bike desgned by a man...

More likely a committee! A resounding thumbs down from up here :thumbsdown:

JerryXt
08-11-2007, 09:24 AM
... and designers that normally have a strong pulse and a twinkle in their eye.

Let me ask this question- is this the work of a passionate designer who enjoys beautiful things, rides very fast on his way to work on twisty mountain roads, takes a 2 hour lunch break to shag his beautiful mistress and drink 2 bottles of wine before going back to his drawing board in the late afternoon full of inspiration and ideas?

Do you know me?

craigie
08-11-2007, 07:48 PM
I think it looks pretty good, not amazing but these days you have to go pretty high in the money stakes to get that. If it is a 5 grand bike its ****in grand, radial brakes, **** off swingarm. Everyone changes the cans anyway, little stubby Akras like the KTM Superduke would look pretty good.
I think it is an evolution and covers what people do to Monsters anyway, tail chop, high levels, DP mirrors.
If I had any pennies I'd buy one, from the pics, who knows in the flesh.

nambduke
08-11-2007, 08:18 PM
Resounding NO!:thumbsdown:

Hate the stubby cans. Frame isn't exactly a work of art...the intersection is very disjointed. Don't like the steeply angled seat......

Think the current and earlier versions of the range still have the essence of 'COOL' as they resemble the :cool: original....the new version has lost that simplicity of design and form......To be considered against the KTM just shows Ducati is copying :dunce: instead of coming up with something original again....

Regards,
Mark 'I'm happy with my M1000ie' Nambduke

gary tompkins
08-11-2007, 08:25 PM
You may think differently GT if it had three wheels.... :mand:

Hmmm... you know me too well ;)

It's not very pretty though :freak: If that bird (leather strides & silly boots) flashed her baps, I'd still be staring at that joke of a headlamp :eyepopping:

rosco572
08-11-2007, 08:50 PM
hi all
have ducati just done another 999 disaster? why the love affair with geometric shapes? i find curves much more appealing to the eye and the hands! any thoughts?:eek: :eek:

MilesB
10-11-2007, 02:15 PM
Looks like its been made from lots of different bikes.

...the Duck Billed Platypus of the bike world!

Darry you plonker - the original Monster was the original parts bin special - with the engine, frame, suspension and wheels all from other bikes - the only 'new' bits were the tank, saddle and a couple of bits of plastic.

Plus it was supposedly called a 'Monster' becuse the factory staff thought it looked Monstrous - as in ugly/gawky, etc. What a difference 15 years makes!

This one appears to have been designed from the ground up.

I note at thos point 37 out of 53 like it, but only the people who loath it have posted comments...

Miles

MarioMOB
10-11-2007, 05:48 PM
I, Mario, have been at the EICMA at the presentation, see the pictures:
http://www.ducatimob.be/01c0c393ee0dfea36/ducatinews/00000099e111b9303/index.html

Hope you enjo it...
Ciao
Maroo

andros
10-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Some really good pictures there Mario, thanks,

There are definately some bits I like and at least the tank looks contemporary but still quite familiar shape, but that chunky tubing on the frame just does not look right and I just do not like that like.

craigie
10-11-2007, 06:29 PM
Resounding NO!:thumbsdown:

.....To be considered against the KTM just shows Ducati is copying :dunce: instead of coming up with something original again....

I wasn't comparing the bike to KTM, I was suggesting that the cans you can buy for a KTM may look good.

It's an update of a current bike, Hyper thing is something original, no?

Frankly it's not that different from current monster, visually it is still better than the rest of the competition.

Guzzirider
10-11-2007, 07:29 PM
The more I see it the worse it gets!

JerryXt
10-11-2007, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the pics Mario. I liked the bike until the model got off. Then somehow it lost something :fou:

seby
10-11-2007, 10:15 PM
today i have been in milan

i don't like the new monster

seby
10-11-2007, 10:56 PM
do u like it?

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/6710/1100tricoloreon0.jpg

Blind Alan
11-11-2007, 12:49 AM
do u like it?

No, it seems to have lost its swinging arm.:eyepopping:

Thumper
11-11-2007, 09:24 AM
Typical, I cast the new Monster off and buy an S4 and now it gets sexy gold multi spoked wheels, a single swingarm, tri-colour and some nicer exhausts!!

That one looks hot!!

craigie
11-11-2007, 01:55 PM
do u like it?

Now surely more of you like that? It's gorgeous.

neilbaldry
11-11-2007, 03:03 PM
do u like it?

if only.............................

you have to admit tho, to have kept the basic shape of the bike the same for 15 years, and for it to consistantly be Ducati's best seller did they really need to totally change it?

Mand
11-11-2007, 04:16 PM
Now surely more of you like that? It's gorgeous.

I love it and it still seems to be winning in the poll.... :)

barbican
11-11-2007, 04:58 PM
If the pole is representative then Ducati have a winner on their hands at least in style terms - now we need our presidents to get Ducati to arrange for UKMOC members to be early test riders:D

Pedro
11-11-2007, 05:07 PM
I shall badger Ducati UK MD at the show, worry not

seby
11-11-2007, 05:51 PM
eh eh eh

we work on new series
i hope mother ship like the idea :)

CK & AK
11-11-2007, 09:28 PM
2008 prices are already out (on Moto Rapido site, are quoting £5,500 - but looks like the 696 wont be in the UK till late March or early April tho according to dealers who went to the factory this week

Pedro
11-11-2007, 09:38 PM
It's growing on me. And am I the only one who thinks it's odd that most of the comments are negative but the poll says the majority like it?

gary tompkins
12-11-2007, 10:49 AM
Been to Milan

Seen the new monster up close & it's still crap :cry:

However sat on the naked 1000 Sport Classic, and think I'm in :heart:

singletrack
12-11-2007, 10:55 AM
It's growing on me. And am I the only one who thinks it's odd that most of the comments are negative but the poll says the majority like it?

I guess that's because most people are like me - I think the bike is fairly good looking and (like the Hypermotard) will probably look even better in real life.
So I ticked the "I like it" box, but didn't bother to make a comment - I will reserve full judgement until I have seen it in the flesh.

singletrack
12-11-2007, 10:56 AM
Been to Milan

Seen the new monster up close & it's still crap :cry:

However sat on the naked 1000 Sport Classic, and think I'm in :heart:

That's disappointing, Gary. I hoped it would look even better in real life.

nambduke
12-11-2007, 11:17 AM
Looking at the poll trend, I think Ducati have another 999/1098 bike issue. Traditionally, people don't like change even if the replacement bike is good. No one doubted the 999 was a good bike, but it didn't give generate the emotion of the 916 because of its styling. In contrast, most people like the 1098 as it had 916 styling (even if it does have japanese lights!!)

But, with only 50% in this poll definitely confirming they like the new Monster, Ducati are in danger of lossing big sales in a bike they still rely on for income. With 35% stating they definitely don't like it and the rest stating they aren't bothered, it's already a Marmite bike! Probably future sales will go to other Ducati models, GT has already mentioned the classic range....others in the forum mentioned the hypermotard. This leaves a decreasing number buying the new Monster range.......

I'll be looking at the sales figures next year to see where the new model end up!

Regards,
Mark Nambduke

neilbaldry
12-11-2007, 11:45 AM
Probably future sales will go to other Ducati models, GT has already mentioned the classic range....others in the forum mentioned the hypermotard. This leaves a decreasing number buying the new Monster range.......

but saying that, looking alot more like a jap bike, with the reduced service costs, and the supposed 5'500 grand asking price, you might see alot of people who would otherwise have bought the Japanese offerings move over to the Desmo side.

if i was in the hunt for a Ducati now, i would go with a Sport Classic.

squiffything
12-11-2007, 12:22 PM
Looking at the poll trend, I think Ducati have another 999/1098 bike issue. Traditionally, people don't like change even if the replacement bike is good. No one doubted the 999 was a good bike, but it didn't give generate the emotion of the 916 because of its styling. In contrast, most people like the 1098 as it had 916 styling (even if it does have japanese lights!!)

But, with only 50% in this poll definitely confirming they like the new Monster, Ducati are in danger of lossing big sales in a bike they still rely on for income. With 35% stating they definitely don't like it and the rest stating they aren't bothered, it's already a Marmite bike! Probably future sales will go to other Ducati models, GT has already mentioned the classic range....others in the forum mentioned the hypermotard. This leaves a decreasing number buying the new Monster range.......

I'll be looking at the sales figures next year to see where the new model end up!

Regards,
Mark Nambduke

Mark you've hit the nail on the head. People who love Ducati and thought they would go for the new Monster will now think twice about it and choose one of the other bikes .......

at a much bigger price tag than the £5,500 sort of figure the monster is being estimated at. What a brilliant marketing ploy by the men in the suits :)

sadbiker
12-11-2007, 01:32 PM
Mark you've hit the nail on the head. People who love Ducati and thought they would go for the new Monster will now think twice about it and choose one of the other bikes .......

at a much bigger price tag than the £5,500 sort of figure the monster is being estimated at. What a brilliant marketing ploy by the men in the suits :)

Or does it open the bike up to others who wouldn't have looked at the monster before because they felt it was to old school looking for their tastes. The 1098 due to its looks has appealed to more, but the biggest turn off tends to be the so called "unreliablity" and cost's of servicing.

This poll I supect is showing the views of people who love the look of the current model and is interesting that a higher percentage do actually like it so far. What Ducati need to do is sell it to the people who before have gone for things like the Hornet, the Bandit and the SV's.

desmo
12-11-2007, 02:22 PM
Will wait till I have seen it in the flesh before I say if I if ilike it or not, but looking at the photos, I think the biggest mistake Ducati have made is with the half trellis & half aluminium frame.
Perhaps they have done it as a weight saving measure? But I think Ducati as with most european manufacturers have traditional features that you always associate with that brand.
I always associate Ducati with a full trellis frame & a V-twin engine, anything other than that to me is getting too Japanese.
Not that I have anything against Japanese bikes cos over the years they have produced some great bikes & some truly awful ones as well.

It's a shame Ducati hasn't stuck to it's traditional frame design, cos I think that as the Monster 696 evolves in the future there is a danger that it will look like every other budget bike on the market.

Desmo.

J.P
12-11-2007, 02:36 PM
Or does it open the bike up to others who wouldn't have looked at the monster before because they felt it was to old school looking for their tastes. What Ducati need to do is sell it to the people who before have gone for things like the Hornet, the Bandit and the SV's.

I think you're absolutely right Sadbiker.
What we (as Ducati owners already) are forgetting is that Ducati are a growth company looking to increase sales globally. Something they've managed to do with the 1098. Yes, the styling is enw and different but we would think that, we already own one. The money men are looking for those new bikers who would choose something else. On reading lots of the Naked bike reviews over the last year is that the 695 entry level doesn't do particularly well and I think Ducati are trying to branch out and appeal to a wider audiance.

JerryXt
12-11-2007, 03:10 PM
That's a good strategy, but historically any company that fails to listen to it's customers goes the way of the dodo.

J.P
12-11-2007, 03:53 PM
Tastes like chicken I'm told.

JerryXt
12-11-2007, 03:57 PM
you stockbrokers! Are you popping down to Brands on Sat? Or do I remember correctly that you're busy?

J.P
12-11-2007, 04:08 PM
Will be in the Alps for the weekend staying with a friend. Alas without bike.

gary tompkins
12-11-2007, 07:56 PM
I couldn't get near it on Saturday, but the crowds thinned a bit on Sunday and I got these shots...

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/GeeTee_album/PICT0087.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/GeeTee_album/PICT0088.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/GeeTee_album/PICT0089.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/GeeTee_album/PICT0090-1.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/GeeTee_album/PICT0091.jpg

Nonnie
12-11-2007, 08:05 PM
Excellent pictures!

I still love it. Cant afford it but I love it.

I'm sure I still have a kidney left. How much for a retina?

neilbaldry
12-11-2007, 08:29 PM
so GT, you still not a fan, or has seeing it in the metal changed your opinioin at all?

the only thing i really like alot are the mirrors!

neilbaldry
12-11-2007, 08:32 PM
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/GeeTee_album/PICT0090-1.jpg

is that a digital dash i see??

CK & AK
12-11-2007, 08:36 PM
Yes - goes the same way as all the new models out :)

neilbaldry
12-11-2007, 08:45 PM
it is very slightly growing on me, but i still like the SR series better.

the front fender looks like its been nicked from an MTS.
the frame should be all one colour, that would make people 'less offended' thats its not a proper trellis jobbie.
the swing arm looks pretty nifty, very race-like, but i wouldve prefered the 'zorsts to be low, rather than hi-mounted.
bring back the old round headlight! - and for that matter, the healight fairing!

DavidEJM
12-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Don't know enough about this sort of thing, but is it possible that, like with the 695 and SR range, the Monster range will be split? Will there be a new SR range of top range monsters leaving the 696 as an entry level bike?

If there was, maybe it would be more like the mocked up tricolor earlier in this thread with single sided swingarm and more sporty styling.

My personal opinion is that I like most of it (frame is questionable) and it seems more likely to appeal to bandit/hornet buyers and I suspect that's where Ducati is aiming.

Combatxe2
13-11-2007, 06:47 PM
said it in the other thread and ill say it here, i think it looks great, a good modern take on the monster format. sure does not look like the old one.....but isnt that the whole point of a new model????? also whats with people saying it looks jap bike like?

looking at the current crop of japanese 600cc naked bikes it looks much more italian than japanese....if anything it looks like ducati have been sneeking a look at aprilias design book...

if it brings more people into the bike world then bring it on i say.

Mark

sadbiker
14-11-2007, 07:01 AM
said it in the other thread and ill say it here, i think it looks great, a good modern take on the monster format. sure does not look like the old one.....but isnt that the whole point of a new model????? also whats with people saying it looks jap bike like?

looking at the current crop of japanese 600cc naked bikes it looks much more italian than japanese....if anything it looks like ducati have been sneeking a look at aprilias design book...

if it brings more people into the bike world then bring it on i say.

Mark

It does make me think of the Shiver, just hope I see more of these monsters on the road than the Shiver which I haven't seen any of yet.

sadbiker
14-11-2007, 07:15 AM
Mate here, who has a faired SV, likes the look of it, would prefer a white stripe. Loves the exhursts. The only thing is he needs a faired bike so maybe (yes I know the puriest's will hate this ) Ducati need a bikini fairing model along the lines of the Japanese - S 's of this world.

barbican
14-11-2007, 08:31 AM
The only thing is he needs a faired bike so maybe (yes I know the puriest's will hate this ) Ducati need a bikini fairing model along the lines of the Japanese - S 's of this world.

A merging of the Monster and Multistrudle - Hmmm

tufty126
14-11-2007, 08:41 AM
Looks like the Yamaha MT03 at first glance. I don't like the headlight.

sadbiker
14-11-2007, 10:03 AM

Maybe but of neater lines as to be honest the multistradia doesn't do it for me on the frontal looks side.

And rather than have a different model can't they do as honda, Susi and yamaha do and utilise the same bike but adjust the handlbars and light for the top fairing!!!

andros
14-11-2007, 11:27 AM
I too would like to see some sort of small fairing, might help the looks a bit and extend its use as a bit more of an all rounder.

The original monster did look very good with and without a fairing, but this new one just does not have the classic lines.

neilbaldry
14-11-2007, 11:30 AM

they woldnt wanna do that now, if they have binned the ST3. the Multi is their only comfy distance bike now.

barbican
14-11-2007, 07:08 PM
they woldnt wanna do that now, if they have binned the ST3. the Multi is their only comfy distance bike now.

Yes but the new monnie with optional fairing higher bars & foot rests already said to be lower it could be a good platform, have to wait for the road tests

Blah blah
14-11-2007, 07:27 PM
I've just had a look at GT's pictures, and (my screen) I could only see the middle without scrolling side to side. The middle is growing on me, I think it's the ends that let it down.

Throw the cans and the headlight in the bin and get some proper shaped ones, and I could be persuaded...

gary tompkins
14-11-2007, 07:35 PM
so GT, you still not a fan, or has seeing it in the metal changed your opinioin at all?

the only thing i really like alot are the mirrors!

Nope still don't like it, and hate the mirrors almost as much as fugly headlamp. Which only goes to show it takes all sorts i suppose?

I dare say it'll look better with different cans, headlamp & maybe a small screen.... but the point is you shouldn't need to arse about like that to make it pretty. If I owned one i'd find myself wanting to change lots of stuff straight away. The prospect of opening my garage door to see that friggin headlight staring at me makes me cringe... Jeeez :freak: The original monster was a great design out of the box, and adding bling and custom features often improves it - but at least it looked right from word go. The photo shop tricolour posted earlier proves how simple it would have been to design a modern monster, that would have sold like hot cakes.

I'm sorry but Ducati have missed the mark by a mile IMO, and as for dropping the 800 from the SR range all together? :fou:

Gotta say the stand that most impressed me at Milan was Aprilia. Loads of new models, and some innovative designs which will appeal to a huge number of buyers. It made all the hype surrounding the "new monster" seem a little sad TBH.

David Matthews
14-11-2007, 07:46 PM
I see we have had just 11 less votes on this poll than there were to vote for our new president.

It's good to get an informed opinion from someone who has seen the 696. From all the photos I've seen I'm not keen on it which is a shame as I love to see Ducati leading the way both on the track and with their road models.

colin ellis
14-11-2007, 11:07 PM
Is it me? The number plate holder looks so long, and so low that if you fitted little wheels on it you could use it as stabilisers.
Overall, I think it's a bit of a dogs dinner. Why the duct tape across the headlamp, did someone drop the lamp and break the glass!

russ77
16-11-2007, 11:10 PM
I fear change.

Seriously though, how many people here own a Monster that is still "stock?" Very few of the new model will look like the photos a few months after purchase.

The current look has never been everyone's cup of tea, and this new model will no doubt appeal to more young buyers - people who want a Bandit or Fazer with a lot more soul. However, it's hard to imagine anyone still riding round on one in fourteen years time and still being as devoted to it as we all are to ours. The original design was timeless (despite being essentially a desperate parts-bin special - that worked). The new one is of an era and will not age as well.

It had to happen eventually. We all used to ride "future classics." Now it seems they are "classics." Should I go out and buy a waxed jacket and goggles this weekend then?

Mand
18-11-2007, 04:27 PM
Should I go out and buy a waxed jacket and goggles this weekend then?

Most definitely and then you need to buy a Davida helmet. :D

Shauns4
18-11-2007, 04:44 PM
80 bhp from an air cooled 700cc (almost) twin, must be good, if they bring out an 1100 version I'll have one!

everything has to change sooner or later and it looks good to me.