PDA

View Full Version : trackday mods

scrapps
06-11-2007, 09:06 AM
Having bought a 750ss for doing trackdays:woot: (not wanting to kill the monnie) I have just droped it off for a full service but wot else will i need to get sorted before using on trackdays ? I know i need some better tyres (pilot powers prob) and maybe some better pads for the brakes (single disc) not sure on best pads to get or what else is needed... any advise welcome.. used cheap parts allways needed..(not got a lot of dosh to spare....) :hissy:

JerryXt
06-11-2007, 09:39 AM
I got diablo corsa 3 on mine. There was no thought behind the decision, just 'Pete, could you put some track rubber on please'. His view was that there was no difference between Michelin, Pirelli and Bridgestones once you got to this level.

The only advantage I can see in the Diablos is that they're supposed to warm up very quickly so you don't really need tyre warmers. And they're ok in the cold and wet. Good for November track days then :D

I've got Michelin Pilots on the monster - just the standard ones - and they've worn well. I was always worried about running off the edge of the tyre tho, iven that they've got such a big step.

JerryXt
06-11-2007, 09:43 AM
BTW, get some track fairings too. Yours are too pretty to bin.

scrapps
06-11-2007, 09:51 AM
Yep good idea on the fairing i will look on ebay. got pilots on my m900 and seem good to me. not that fast yet but hope to improve...

scrumpster
06-11-2007, 09:59 AM
I'm sure the DD lads and lasses will come along with lots of good suggestions, as for myself, I have none!!

Gilps
06-11-2007, 10:01 AM
My main concern would be ground clearance. I decked out the cans and pegs at Brands and lost it on Clearways. Apparently these things go round corners best with both tyres in contact with the ground.
You can get decent rearsets from these guys:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ducati-750SS-750-SS-Race-Track-Day-Rearsets_W0QQitemZ280167436582QQihZ018QQcategoryZ2 5626QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ducati-600SS-600-SS-Race-Track-Day-Rearsets_W0QQitemZ280170122584QQihZ018QQcategoryZ2 5626QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Not sure which ones to use though as I thought the 600 and 750 were the same and he lists two different ones. Give him a call maybe. The DD'ers use his stuff as it is cheap and epgs and levers can be replaced real easy.
Next would be the cans. I would fit something a little higher level. The Superlight had high level cans as standard so maybe try to get something for that model. Other than that get a race can like the Viper that I use and get link pipes made up. I paid just over £100 for 1 can.
A longer shock would be good. Either get one made up like my Nitron which is fully adjustable, or try to get hold of the shoch off the injected model. It fits straight in and is about 6mm longer which apparently increases rear ride height by about 1". Put a post up on the DSC site as someone usually has something up for grabs. There was a recent post on there where someone asked for one and 2 or 3 people offered them up.
For brake pads you won't get better than Performance Friction for the track. Give Rich at Louigi Moto a ring on 01761 453366 - mention me.
Might be worth trying to get some clipons with swappable blades. New blades are about £10 each and if you get the right clipons the blades are easy to swap after a spill. Try to avoid the ones where the blade is a permanent part of the clip on.
After that it's just nice-to-have's like quick action throttle, crash bungs.

scrumpster
06-11-2007, 10:15 AM
See I was right :biggrin:

scrapps
06-11-2007, 11:08 AM
Hi gilps and scrumps, My main problem is budget (very small):worried: I would like all mods on gilps list and a few more.. but need to get the most important first. ground clearance not My biggest prob as not got pegs down on the monster yet. i will try to sort it bit by bit over the winter,as bits are found on club sites and ebay ect, so first motor serviced,then brakes and tryes. then others as parts pop up i can afford. I like the idea of standard cans with longer link pipes as it will be a cheaper option than new a set:rolleyes:
cheers for the ideas..

Gilps
06-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Hi gilps and scrumps, My main problem is budget (very small):worried: I would like all mods on gilps list and a few more.. but need to get the most important first. ground clearance not My biggest prob as not got pegs down on the monster yet. i will try to sort it bit by bit over the winter,as bits are found on club sites and ebay ect, so first motor serviced,then brakes and tryes. then others as parts pop up i can afford. I like the idea of standard cans with longer link pipes as it will be a cheaper option than new a set:rolleyes:
cheers for the ideas..

fair enough, but here's my advice for what its worth. The first time that you get the merest scrape from the pegs, brake pedal, or can, then stop riding until you get yourself some ground clearance. I was merrily scraping away until the whole shebang touched down. Then it's game over. Phil C had an off at Brands when his pegs touched down, Matt T lost his at Cadwell for the same reason. There really isn't much ground clearance for what is a semi-sports bike. I reckon for £300 you could get a used ie shock, rearsets and sort the cans. Your first off is going to cost you more than that.
A cheap fix for the rearsets is to fit a plate on the original mount points, drill holes in it and refit the pegs to the plate higher and further back.
If I was to spend any money on a track bike the very first thing I would work on is the suspension, not the brakes or body work. If the thing won't go round corners then everything else becomes an irrelevance.

JerryXt
06-11-2007, 12:23 PM
If I was to spend any money on a track bike the very first thing I would work on is the suspension, not the brakes or body work. If the thing won't go round corners then everything else becomes an irrelevance.

...hence my fleabay bargain has it all there. Except it's yellow.

scrapps
06-11-2007, 12:23 PM
cheers for your advise gilps,:thumbsup: i will be on the lookout for rear sets and will get some as soon as poss.( got all winter to look.) i am still very new to trackday so will be biulding speed and lean angle as i go..I will also be looking for lots of advise on riding skills from people on the way:biggrin:
Hope to learn more at brands on the 18th(with my monster)

Gilps
06-11-2007, 12:30 PM
...hence my fleabay bargain has it all there. Except it's yellow.

That should have cost extra then. 2nd most important mod after suspension is to paint it yellow.

CK & AK
06-11-2007, 01:16 PM
cheers for your advise gilps,:thumbsup: i will be on the lookout for rear sets and will get some as soon as poss.( got all winter to look.) i am still very new to trackday so will be biulding speed and lean angle as i go..I will also be looking for lots of advise on riding skills from people on the way:biggrin:
Hope to learn more at brands on the 18th(with my monster)

Look forwards to seeing you there Scrapps :D - am sure the lads will be willing to impart lots of advice to you.

In the mean time get your new hoops fitted (wont go wrong with Diablos for winter TD's, untill you get tyre warmers etc) order some replacement track fairings & move the rear sets up a tad.
Can advise on more when we meet on Sunday week, along with about 30 others on Ducatis...............

CK & AK
06-11-2007, 01:17 PM
That should have cost extra then. 2nd most important mod after suspension is to paint it yellow.

so you can go slowly like custard...........

C grabs handbag & runs

;) sorry Gilps xx

JerryXt
06-11-2007, 01:33 PM
C grabs handbag & runs...

there's a first :D

Are there really 30 ducatis on the day?

Gilps
06-11-2007, 01:33 PM
so you can go slowly like custard...........

ouch that hurt

NattyBoy
06-11-2007, 02:02 PM
Scrapps. A race track is a different ball game - even an inexperienced track rider will be surprised at how much further you will naturally lean the bike..

Trust me..sooner or later zorsts/pegs WILL go down on a standard ss setup..and next to brakes and tyres then you really should look at ground clearance.

I know your on a budget mate but you'll be spending even more (unneccesary) cash if you do a gilpin and cartwheel yourself into thin air !

Oh..and ducati performance light alloy swingarms...they make a MASSIVE difference...;) :rolleyes: :chuckle:

CK & AK
06-11-2007, 02:15 PM
ouch that hurt

Luv yoo Gilps xx - nasty wicked jibe was meant for JerryXT :D

scrapps
06-11-2007, 02:19 PM
Scrapps. A race track is a different ball game - even an inexperienced track rider will be surprised at how much further you will naturally lean the bike..

Trust me..sooner or later zorsts/pegs WILL go down on a standard ss setup..and next to brakes and tyres then you really should look at ground clearance.

I know your on a budget mate but you'll be spending even more (unneccesary) cash if you do a gilpin and cartwheel yourself into thin air !

Oh..and ducati performance light alloy swingarms...they make a MASSIVE difference...;) :rolleyes: :chuckle:

Yes nattyboy I know i will lean more on track. i have done 3 trackdays and not been near the pegs yet. (thats how slow i am at the moment !)
But i will get some new/used pegs as soon as poss.i will not trackday the ss till next year.(time to look for parts) it has a alloy swingarm on it...?

scrapps
06-11-2007, 02:21 PM
Mmm maybe i will ask santa if he has some rearsets :biggrin: looks like a mod i will be needing:o

JerryXt
06-11-2007, 02:56 PM
Luv yoo Gilps xx - nasty wicked jibe was meant for JerryXT :D

you missed :D

CK & AK
06-11-2007, 03:19 PM
you missed :D

:confused:

Now how did I do that?

....when the target is big & yellowy slow............. :p

JerryXt
06-11-2007, 03:35 PM
all this abuse from someone who paints her race bikes ORANGE!!!!

Still, better slow and go home happy than fast and go home in bits :D

Scotty
06-11-2007, 04:56 PM
just to echo ground clearance 'issue' , the std bike is close to the floor I'm not a track day hero by any means but still managed to scrape something on the public road on a beat up SS :o

scrapps
06-11-2007, 07:52 PM
just to echo ground clearance 'issue' , the std bike is close to the floor I'm not a track day hero by any means but still managed to scrape something on the public road on a beat up SS :o

point taken i will save hard and get some fitted before taking to the track :thumbsup: