PDA

View Full Version : Pinky Meets Project Twin Spark

Thumper
30-10-2007, 11:02 PM
So today was lovely and sunny and I needed some winter boots, some new sliders and had to collect my leathers from GLF Accessories in Flitwick.

So Pinky fired up lovely after not being started for 2 weeks and we went for a nice ride.

2 hours after my arrival at MJK Leathers in Flitwick I heard the distinctive sound of a Ducati. Went outside to find this:

http://www.thumperzone.co.uk/images/Ducati/mjk1.jpg

http://www.thumperzone.co.uk/images/Ducati/mjk2.jpg

http://www.thumperzone.co.uk/images/Ducati/mjk3.jpg

http://www.thumperzone.co.uk/images/Ducati/mjk4.jpg

Anyone that reads MCN (or is on the Ducati Sporting Club site) will recognise the bike:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/mcn/2007/October/october8-14/oct1007roadtestducati1000ssgallery/

The only changes that John has made to the bike since the article has been an Akropovic exhaust which is quieter than the megaphone.

The bike is awesome, the riding position is really extreme and its a real racer. John rides it on the roads though with its daylight MOT and will only put it away for hibernation at the beginning of December. It really is a stunning bike for a "bitsa".

Was really nice to meet him and I think he had a soft spot for Pinky :cool:

Stafford
31-10-2007, 07:11 AM
Really good looking bike and the red one as well.:spin:

gremlin
31-10-2007, 09:19 AM
Who hasn't got a soft spot for Pinky! That really is a good looking bike. Not many people change exhausts for quieter ones though, so I daren't think how raucous the other ones were.

Thumper
31-10-2007, 09:23 AM
hehehehehe awwww thanks :o

His megaphone pipe was tested at 109dbs, slightly window shattering and very "nick me", not sure what my megaphones are but theyre loud! His Akrapovic is still loud though, you gotta have a loud Ducati, its the law!! :D

giler
31-10-2007, 10:47 AM
hehehehehe awwww thanks :o

His megaphone pipe was tested at 109dbs, slightly window shattering and very "nick me", not sure what my megaphones are but theyre loud! His Akrapovic is still loud though, you gotta have a loud Ducati, its the law!! :D

Ooh, we need someone with a noise meter!
Loudest Monster could be a new category at the next weekender.
Would love to find out how my 2 into 1 meg rates.

J.P
31-10-2007, 10:58 AM
That's a bloomin' good I dea Giler

giler
31-10-2007, 11:00 AM
That's a bloomin' good I dea Giler

Thanks I'll let the missus know I do actually have some!

neilbaldry
31-10-2007, 11:10 AM
could do something at the marham day next summer aswel. due in part to the EP (environmental protection) lady in charge here has a DB meter and she rides a trumpet triple.

Thumper
31-10-2007, 11:29 AM
Ooooooooo nice idea I like it!!

I'll just run mine with no pipes so I can be the loudest :biggrin:

neilbaldry
31-10-2007, 11:41 AM
[QUOTE=Thumper;229677]

John rides it on the roads though with its daylight MOT and will only put it away for hibernation at the beginning of December. QUOTE]

daylight MOT huh? interesting............. i would like to find the ins and outs of what this entails/ comprises of.

Thumper
31-10-2007, 11:55 AM
Numberplate with reflector, brake light, speedo, horn - thats it :)

gremlin
31-10-2007, 12:11 PM
Tother half moans about my cans, says they give him a headache, I don't notice it on board. They are quite noisy which is perfectly ok in my book, that's what Dukes do.

Will
31-10-2007, 12:17 PM
http://www.thumperzone.co.uk/images/Ducati/mjk3.jpg

Where did you get that cool swirly plate from?

giler
31-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Numberplate with reflector, brake light, speedo, horn - thats it :)

Brake light and speedo not needed - if your brave!
Used to have motoxer on the road like that, was always getting pulled though!

neilbaldry
31-10-2007, 05:03 PM
yeah, i tried to google 'daylight mot' and just got search results from other bike forum threads....... so its legal to have mine like it is at the mo, and to only ride during the daylight hours?

giler
31-10-2007, 05:16 PM
yeah, i tried to google 'daylight mot' and just got search results from other bike forum threads....... so its legal to have mine like it is at the mo, and to only ride during the daylight hours?

If you are running indicators I think you'll need to tape over them.
Then just tell the tester you are putting it in for a daytime mot.

neilbaldry
31-10-2007, 05:49 PM
If you are running indicators I think you'll need to tape over them.

i have got an all in one LED brake light / indicators thingy.

Then just tell the tester you are putting it in for a daytime mot.

i have an '06 bike, so does that mean im in the clear until my first MOT?

crust
31-10-2007, 06:30 PM
sniff, sniff

yup, that old can of worms has been opened again.

Neil, before you go riding off gleefully light and indicatorless google - construction and use regulations.

Whilst your bike might have a daylight MOT, its age means it wont comply with C & U, a clued up traffic copper could have a field day if he needed to fill his book.

Sits back and waits for the inevitable, my mate etc, I used to blah blah

:) Crust

CK & AK
31-10-2007, 06:37 PM
sniff, sniff

yup, that old can of worms has been opened again.

Neil, before you go riding off gleefully light and indicatorless google - construction and use regulations.

Whilst your bike might have a daylight MOT, its age means it wont comply with C & U, a clued up traffic copper could have a field day if he needed to fill his book.

Sits back and waits for the inevitable, my mate etc, I used to blah blah

:) Crust

Is, as usual the right answer from Mr Crust.

Surrey & Hants boys in blue have been mugging up on this - as have other forces where many go off roading too.

Whilst anything may pass an MOT, it may not be actually legal on the highway.

Whatever people did in the past, its what is legal NOW that counts :)

C:)

neilbaldry
31-10-2007, 07:20 PM
to be honest, i'd never heard of this 'daylight MOT' before today, in this thread actually. and my bike is already garaged for the winter, so ive gotten away from this autumns police crackdown, and i dont intend to inflame the plod again next year either!

can of worms has been closed UTFN