PDA

View Full Version : chuggging along below 3000

ladybird
23-10-2007, 06:15 PM
i'm sure i saw a thread round here, but can i find it? nope.

noticed more today than usual.

anything less than 3000 and it seems like she is going to cut out - 1st and 2nd gears def.
slip in to neutral (which has been tricky recently - so something else to attend to soon) and no problem.
feels like it's all jiggery
bit of a problem now am riding slowly round wet leaf/ice/ mist covered mini roundabouts at approx 10-15mph

so i'm spending a lot of time on and off the clutch

not sure if it is related to the new cans or a by product of the accident or if she was doing it anyway (3months and no monster wiped my brain dump)

also noticed that strong stink of petrol when i've parked up at home

:confused:

paranoia on the rise

crust
23-10-2007, 08:04 PM
Its a Ducati not a Harley so it needs revs

running a 900 at low revs will eventually be costly, that snatching and jerking is not doing your engine any favours.

If you need to go slowly on a regular basis go for a bigger rear sprocket or one tooth smaller on the front, no more though it wears the front of the swinging arm.

As for the smell of petrol, have a look at the back of the tank, at the bottom on the left as you sit on it.

They are notorious for the tank leaking at the pivot. Its easily fixed and there's loads of threads on here about it.

:)Crust

ladybird
23-10-2007, 08:07 PM
so it's just being normal then?

jerry
23-10-2007, 08:07 PM
its EFI so TPS needs to be spot on or it will be poor at low revs and stall a lot

ladybird
23-10-2007, 08:12 PM
its EFI so TPS needs to be spot on or it will be poor at low revs and stall a lot

:blink: i'm not up on my acronyms and abbreviations. wut? :chuckle:

crust
23-10-2007, 08:25 PM

non tech speak:

its 'electronic fuel injection' so the 'throttle position sensor' needs to be spot on

Theres a sensor that lets the computer know how open the throttle is, so it can adjust the amount of fuel to inject.

It is normaly set at a service, but even if its spot on, at those revs a 900 is going to be unhappy

:)Crust

ladybird
23-10-2007, 08:36 PM
:)
thanks

crust
23-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Give this guy a ring, he seems to be well recommended on the DSC and is local, should be able to set the Throttle Position Sensor or give the bike service

http://www.md-racing.co.uk/

:) Crust

banditloon
24-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Mine does this when it requires new plugs. Anything below 3000rpm and it runs like a bag of spanners (and sounds a lot worse!).

ladybird
24-10-2007, 12:39 PM
Mine does this when it requires new plugs. Anything below 3000rpm and it runs like a bag of spanners (and sounds a lot worse!).

now that i can check myself :) if i had the strength to get any of the beggars out and a plug-spanner...

what colour should they be again...

banditloon
24-10-2007, 01:03 PM
what colour should they be again...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/banditloon/Plgnorm1.jpg

Not mine, I would like to add though.

ladybird
25-10-2007, 11:25 AM
heh, okay things were a bit worse on the way home
so went via the shoppe on the way in

yes, am running a little rich - hence the neat petrol smell

having the chain tightened by a large muchness <!> and lubed
has helped the chugging sensation quite a lot (funny that)

clutch is still playing silly buggers have twirled the nob round to 1 from 2 and that has helped too. the damn begger does not want to go into neutral when stationary....

_must_ fix scottoiller

_must_ remember to do basic maintenance and make sure i have the right tools and all that ****

(should really know better after 12 years of riding)

banditloon
25-10-2007, 01:29 PM
It's amazing what routine maintenance does to a bike ;) :chuckle:

ladybird
25-10-2007, 02:12 PM
i think i need a routine maintenance gimp *ahem* buddy (with tools)

Nickj
25-10-2007, 06:20 PM
Would you be supplying the gimp suit or would a person applying for the post need to supply their own??