PDA

View Full Version : Triumph factory Visit

jerry
18-10-2007, 06:10 PM
Ok yesterday i rode up to Hinckley on the Monster 750 a 300mile round trip with 10 other riders to a tour oif the Triumph factory. We were shown round the plant for 3 hours including the machine shops, paint, powder coating , motor assembly and final bike assembly and packing. Triuumph now have 4 factories 2 in UK and 2 in Thailand . a 5th factory will be built in thailand next year. All engines are built in UK then some are sent to the4 Thai factory at AMATA chonburi for the assembly line there which makesd Rocket3 and Bonneville twins for ASIA and Australia. The UK line makes all models SPEEDS 3 , Bonny , Rocket,Daytona etc for Europe , USA etc.
Total production 2007 40,000 bikes from 1200 employees worldwide. by 2012 they will build 80,000 bikes a year. with anothe 8 new models coming online in the next 3 years .

The plant is the most modern bike factory in the4 world the production line in UK produces 180 bikes a day with only 93 workers per shift . Honda need 194.The line is mixed a Bonny may be followed by a 675 or Rocket all is computer controlled it is very efficient.

will tell more soon.

jerry

Shandy
18-10-2007, 07:02 PM
sounds good, i remember the occ lot went there on one of their episodes. Looked really wierd with all different bikes one after the other rolling down the line. :cool:

bigredduke
18-10-2007, 08:44 PM
I've visited a couple of times with students & thoroughly enjoyed it. The guide really knows his stuff & I love seeing things being made!

Incredible, but since the demise of Rover, Triumph is now our biggest home-grown producer of any vehicles in the UK!

Highly recommended visit!

MrsJel
19-10-2007, 07:58 AM
Unfortunately, the guy who runs the tours is finishing this year.

Carole

MilesB
19-10-2007, 11:50 AM
We went last year - absolutely brilliant - highly recommended.
(...and it's free!)

Miles

NattyBoy
19-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Jerry - you've unsuspectingly helped me out big time here. One of my lazy arse sales reps told me there was no opportunity to sell our automotive wiping products here as all production had moved to Thailand.

I've just cut and pasted this to them and told them to pull there finger out there arse !!

Cheers!
Nat

jerry
20-10-2007, 08:59 PM
They did not want to build any Factories outside the UK but could not get planning permission anywhere in the UK to build more factories.

The factory rep also said that by 2010 all after market parts will be banned by the EEC regulations and that to meet EURO 4 regulations on emmisions they probably will have to stop making bikes over 750cc.