PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy front brake...

Headhunter
15-10-2007, 07:59 PM
Has anyone ever experienced this with their front brake?

They're well run in and far from needing replacing, however, I need to pull the brake lever quite far back before it kicks in. If I do this a couple of times in quick succession. No problems at all. Brake feels as tight as a Cuban rolling a cigar.

For the love of god, I can't tell whether the brake fluid level is low but when I do press the brake and watch the fluid inside it's as if there is air in it - pushes the fluid up like a volcano exploding. That innuendo wasn't intended!

Then if I hold of braking for a 100 metres or so the problem kicks back in again.

Being a numptie on the technical side does anyone have any idea what it migth be? Tightining a few bolts or possibly topping up the brake fluid?

Pedro
15-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Sounds like it needs bleeding to me to get rid of trapped air

barbican
15-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Sounds like they might need bleeding - Start there before mucking around with seals/slaves/etc. If the fluids a couple of years old it'll need changing anyway.

slob
15-10-2007, 08:13 PM
As others have said, full fluid transfusion.

Headhunter
15-10-2007, 08:17 PM
Cheers guys. Looks like I'll have to take it to Ray, as that's beyond my abilities.

Is it something which is fairly quick to do or does it take a bit of time because the fluid is farly thick etc?

slob
15-10-2007, 08:20 PM
Cheers guys. Looks like I'll have to take it to Ray, as that's beyond my abilities.

Is it something which is fairly quick to do or does it take a bit of time because the fluid is farly thick etc?

15 minutes, just pump it through.

Headhunter
15-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Cheers Rob. :thumbsup: Just got to keep it off the bike, I guess.

Jon.

Shandy
15-10-2007, 08:38 PM
full fluid transfusion.

I recomend a weekly full body fluid transfusion of beer to keep the senses sharp.......

.............and oh yeah bleed the brakes through too, won't take RC any time to sort, all that riding round london must cane the brakes constantly!!!

Headhunter
15-10-2007, 09:40 PM
I recomend a weekly full body fluid transfusion of beer to keep the senses sharp.......

I like to make a daily top up followed by a full transfusion at the weekend to make sure all the useless ones are killed off.

I tell you mate the miles are clocking up. I'm only a couple of months off the next big service (24k). She's def becoming an ol' workhorse.

Shandy
15-10-2007, 09:56 PM
I like to make a daily top up followed by a full transfusion at the weekend to make sure all the useless ones are killed off.

I tell you mate the miles are clocking up. I'm only a couple of months off the next big service (24k). She's def becoming an ol' workhorse.

Good man, keep killing those senses :cool:

That's more miles than on my old '95 600, yeah yeah i know i'm a fair weather lightweight......lol

banditloon
16-10-2007, 11:18 AM
My 900 does this too!! It's fun, grab front brake lever... nothing, grab the lever again stops like I've hit a brick wall (before I hit the brick wall). So far I've changed the pads, cleaned the calipers, checked for any leaks and done a brake fluid change and for the past 1000 miles or so, it's been fine :thumbsup:

The old pads that were on the outside of the discs were fine, the inside pads where just a few millimeters from reaching the metal though!

eddie munster
16-10-2007, 01:02 PM
no problem with the brakes but my clutch done it for a bit...bleed and top up sorted it out...feathering the clutch out with a learner caused mine :P