PDA

View Full Version : Hotel in Bologna?

gcwebbyuk
14-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Planning a trip to the Ducati Museum and Factory next August (my 30th :spin: ).

Can anyone recommend a hotel to stay in? (no need for bike parking etc)

Done a search on Expedia - Hotel Touring looks good - but any other recommendations would be appreciated.

seby
14-10-2007, 02:45 PM
i have been there, i`m italian so i don`t need an hotel :)

the factory is quite far from the city centre so u need a pubblic transport or a taxi...
on expedia u can find a good hotel, better not near the railway station...
its very interesting in front of the factory u can find a big ducati store where the prices are so good!!!

gcwebbyuk
14-10-2007, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the info on location.

That was going to be my next question - are parts cheaper out there than over here?

Have a little shopping list of bits I want to fit to my S4R when I get it, for instance open clutch cover and pressure plate etc, ie. stuff I could bring back in luggage.

How far is the airport to the centre? Is it easy to get there?

seby
14-10-2007, 02:54 PM
well the airport is not to far from the factory...
the best thing is to shipping in uk
it cost 50 euros about 35 quid

y u can `t put in your luggage?

there is a bus from the airport to the city centre it is cheap

what do u want to buy there?

gcwebbyuk
14-10-2007, 02:59 PM
Well my shopping list includes smaller mirrors, the clutch cover and pressure plate, so they would all fit in my rucksack!

seby
14-10-2007, 03:03 PM
which smaller mirrors?
cluch cover and pressure plate u can fin on the web...it is easy

gcwebbyuk
14-10-2007, 03:04 PM
Yeah I can see them on the web etc, but just wondered if it would be cheaper to pick up while I am out there...

seby
14-10-2007, 03:10 PM
try rizoma
but it is not cheap
the best deal there are in the leather suit ecc ecc

gcwebbyuk
14-10-2007, 03:12 PM
Will do

Thanks for your help :)

seby
14-10-2007, 03:14 PM
or there is my italian forum where u can find second hand staff

CK & AK
14-10-2007, 03:15 PM
The Ducati store is mostly clothing, nick-nacks, some bikes (new & 2nd hand) but very few bling bits for bikes.

As seby says - its rather cheap for clothing - leathers/boots/gloves & helmets etc :)

Best way to go, is cheap flight into Forli, get a hire car & stay in Bologna in the centre (will dig out the hotel we stayed at). Keeps anyone happy that isnt 'into' the bikes as much as you, as lots of shops in town - and some really good restaurants :)
Do go round the museum and take in a factory tour - easy to get to if you have your own transport

C

seby
14-10-2007, 03:17 PM
yes the trattoria (restourants) are fantastic there
but carefull most close in agoust

gcwebbyuk
14-10-2007, 04:51 PM
Argh was planning a package through expedia, just me and the wife, and basically staying 3 nights, using one day for the Ducati factory/museum and the other days to just chill out and wander round.

Bit worried about the closures in August, we did notice on the Ducati Museum site that they are shut till the 26th August for Summer Break, so we would be going after this, hopefully that means places will be back open again!

Paivi
14-10-2007, 05:24 PM
Factory visits are at 11am and at 4pm and last about an hour; you've got to be there around 15min beforehand. You'll need to book the tour in advance, as the groups are limited in size. The museum is within the factory, and there's a small shop, too. The big shop is further up the road (walking distance); as you exit the gates, you turn right and go to the end of the road, it's opposite you.

As for parts, my clutch lever costs £17 in the UK and €10 in Italy (about £7), so on any expensive items, you're bound to save, even if you sent them by post, as the Italian post is reasonably priced (I had to send all my stuff home, as after my crash, I couldn't attach the panniers any longer; two panniers full of stuff cost just £30 to send, and they got to London before I did about 3-4 days later).

I stayed at the Hotel Amadeus (http://hotelamadeus.hotelsbologna.it/?source=-hotel+amadeus+bologna) in Borgo Panigale, about 10min walk away (or two on the bike) from the factory; this is the official Ducati hotel, so ask for a Ducati discount. I got a huge discount, as Ducati Bergamo (who fixed my bike after my off) booked me a room. It's about 15m by taxi to downtown but in a housing area, so there's nothing to do or see and the hotel is quite clinical, but for anybody going to the factory by bike from the UK, this hotel is brilliant, as it's straight off the motorway.

Pedro
14-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Have stayed in the Hotel Novocento in the centre, flipping nice but not the cheapest.

seby
14-10-2007, 05:43 PM
i was there in late august...so many trattorie are closed...i been there in the past and they are wonderful
u can taste now torteddi di zucca (pumpkins pasta) and bolognese souce

why u don`t go now?? it is cheap just for a week end

gcwebbyuk
14-10-2007, 05:51 PM
Plan was to go for my 30th birthday next August

pastaman
21-02-2008, 07:38 PM
I was very interested in this information as well. My son's just bought an ageing Monster. I want to drive to somewhere in the Bologna area in August, for a family holiday, and to pay our respects at the factory.
I'll do a separate new thread in a few moments. Can anyone suggest where we could search for reasonably-priced self-catering accomodation?