PDA

View Full Version : Dp Open Air Box For S2r

alsduc
05-10-2007, 09:57 PM
How much does a DP open air box and filter cost for s2r. Who sells them apart from duke dealers, ie cheapy price.

Is it easy to fit?

Thanks

Alex

slob
05-10-2007, 10:42 PM
Get a standard lid and saw the top off, that's all the DP one is.
Easy to fit? lift tank, undo 4 clips, replace lid, replace clips, drop tank, job done.
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=11087&d=1191624067

Stafford
06-10-2007, 06:53 AM
Don't do it, or get ready for loads of induction noise. :shocked:
Try someone else's first.

That should rattle someone's cage. :mand:

Dave G
06-10-2007, 07:49 AM
Mine is the same as Slob's:biggrin:
Its a cheap and easy mod,it'll take you an hour.

YoungDucS4R
06-10-2007, 08:02 AM
Go for it!!!
An hour with a hacksaw blade and you get an awesome result.
The induction noise is amazing as you hit 5000 revs and you'll suck the sparrows off the hedges on the way past!!
(if you see what I mean!)

damon
06-10-2007, 08:04 AM
here you go, this is my s2r and the airbox chop, just take you an hour if you wanna be really really neat :)

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u148/haim77/DSC09718.jpg

alsduc
06-10-2007, 08:42 AM
Don't do it, or get ready for loads of induction noise. :shocked:
Try someone else's first.

That should rattle someone's cage. :mand:

More noise, SOLD. Where's my hacksaw?

So when i cut the top of the the air box is there a rib that i follow or something or is it a case of just guessing where to cut?

Plus surpose i have to dump the standard filter and fit a new KN filter?

I'm then looking fit a powercommander to really get the most, can wait!!!!

Should fit well with my other completed mods: FULL TERMIS, DP DE CAT.:biggrin:

singletrack
06-10-2007, 08:46 AM
Yes get a K&N or DP filter.
It will sound great, but don't expect it to run well with open airbox and a decat pipe and termis until you have got a power commander. My S2R didn't like it too much.

Dave G
06-10-2007, 08:52 AM
I havent got a power commander on mine,just had the fuelling checked afterwards. It would probably run better and make more power if I did have one,and I may yet get one when the kids stop leaching all my bike funds towards trivial stuff(like clothes and food;) ),until then I've had no running problems.

alsduc
06-10-2007, 09:01 AM
It will sound great, but don't expect it to run well with open airbox and a decat pipe and termis until you have got a power commander. My S2R didn't like it too much.

Yep thats what i was thinking. I'll order the PC from the states and then do the air and ecu at the sametime so as not to run the risk of having a sick monster.:freak:

Cheers people!

Now off to find me a cheap PC, howdy partner!!!

Stafford
06-10-2007, 09:03 AM
Should fit well with my other completed mods: FULL TERMIS, DP DE CAT.:biggrin:

Try here for the De Cat, a Marving pipe for £155
They also do high flow air filters.

http://www.brspecialtuning.co.uk/Ducati%20decat.htm

Nickj
06-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Don't forget the pipercross filters... K&Ns do have the nasty habit of letting very fine particles through. The pipercross laminated foam layers adds a little extra turbulence to the incoming air that tends to make most nastys get caught up on the way through. Harder to clean though and re-oilings a bit messier!

banditloon
08-10-2007, 12:30 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/banditloon/Monster%20OC/DSC00155.jpg

Sounds lovely, eats anything small within a 2km radius and scares small children and animals :D

Bike is running fine, but will get it dyno'd as soon as funds allow.

alsduc
08-10-2007, 05:44 PM
K&N air filter costs £41 (du-9001) bit more than i was expecting but at least it will last.

See if i can get it cheaper on the net or if anyone here can recommend a place.

neilbaldry
08-10-2007, 06:22 PM
alsduc,

you considered these?

http://www.tpoparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=59&osCsid=ba4cacb359dee252e541122f0d45fd45

slob
08-10-2007, 06:34 PM
http://www.tpoparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=59&osCsid=ba4cacb359dee252e541122f0d45fd45

I remain deeply sceptical about the benefits of those on an injected monster, having spoken to folks in the DD padock about their dynoed attempts to extract a few more BHP and they hardly compete with an hour with a hacksaw and a high flow filter in terms of bang for your buck. I think Markus has pods on his S2R so maybe he can comment with the voice of experience.

S4Rs-Tone
08-10-2007, 06:52 PM

ive, done the dp airbox, decat and pipe de-core, and runs fine without the pc, dp airbox first and probably the best mod in terms of bang for your pound note.

alsduc
09-10-2007, 05:56 PM
alsduc,

you considered these?

Sounds the Dogs Doodars but is it really as good as they claim!?!

As anyone here done that mod, does it go and sound as good as it looks?

Food for thought most deffy, me thinks i need to hold fire on the hacksaw an do further research.

neilbaldry
09-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Sounds the Dogs Doodars but is it really as good as they claim!?!

As anyone here done that mod, does it go and sound as good as it looks?

Food for thought most deffy, me thinks i need to hold fire on the hacksaw an do further research.

Get in touch with Markus. hes got it done, ive got the kit sat in my living room, waiting to be fitted. You could try PM'ing him and asking what its like with the Pods, and a PCIII.

Heres a link to the thread he made with lots of piccies!

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=23752&highlight=pod+filters

alsduc
09-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Cheers matey, will do.

neilbaldry
21-10-2007, 11:44 AM
fitted my TPO's yesterday, and my word! its louder, and from what my bro says (he did all the work, so i let him ride it) under brisk acceleration, the front gets awful wobbly! so under hard acceleration, i can only imagine some airtime for the front wheel! he only rode it round the village (dont sound too yocal!) but i could hear him all the way round (about 3 miles) and i dont think he got it above 4th gear. so once i get the PCII on, hopefully more fun will be had!

Jim66a
21-10-2007, 06:32 PM
Ive got a S2r1000 with a full Arrow exhaust system and was thinking of going the K&N with open airbox route. Is it safe to do it without a power commander? Was worried about going to lean?

willber
22-04-2016, 07:49 AM
Is it OK to run the airbox with the lid off temporarily to see what the sound is like? I was thinking of drilling 25mm holes in the lid rather than cutting the top off but want to see if I like the sound first,

Darren69
22-04-2016, 08:50 AM
If you get one of these you can save your original lid and change it back if you don't like it. Just a thought and they are much neater than you can get with a hacksaw

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-Performance-Racing-air-filter-kit-airbox-96411700B-Monster-S4R-S4RS-1000-/152060500580?hash=item2367831a64:g:EdYAAOSwBLlVA2h s

willber
22-04-2016, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the link I will keep an eye on it. However the moulding does not look much better than I imagine the hacksaw route would look!

Darren69
22-04-2016, 09:15 AM
I think they use a heated blade to cut it so you don't get all the jagged edges, just looks neater IMHO

Dirty
22-04-2016, 02:18 PM
Don't trust that seller!

You could always buy a spare standard lid and experiment with that.

Nottsbiker
22-04-2016, 05:53 PM
Is it OK to run the airbox with the lid off temporarily to see what the sound is like? I was thinking of drilling 25mm holes in the lid rather than cutting the top off but want to see if I like the sound first,

Pull the rubber snorkels out first and see how it sounds like that :)

Zimbo
22-04-2016, 06:39 PM
Should be OK to run it briefly without the air box lid I'd say.
Don't bother drilling holes in the lid, cut it.
It's a common misconception that the main benefit of an open air box and free flow air filter is simply increased access to air for the engine - in fact the benefit is mainly down to changing the resonance characteristics of the air box assembly, resonance being the reflection or dissipation characteristics of pressure waves travelling up through the throttle bodies as a valve opens. A tuned air box will reflect this pressure wave off the air box lid and back down to the throttle bodies, where it arrives just as the inlet valve opens again, helping air to travel through the valve with a performance benefit. Downside is that this timing is only accurate within a narrow rev range - good for race bike engines, not ideal in normal road use.
An untuned or badly tuned air box will cause these shock waves of pressure to arrive back at the throttle body out of sync with the valve opening and may interfere with air travelling down through the throttle bodies, causing performance to be reduced. Road bike air box design tries to minimise the potential of this occurring across a broad engine speed range.

An open air box and free flow air filter allows these pressure waves to travel through the air filter and dissipate, thus not interfering with air flow through the throttle bodies at any engine speed.
Using a standard lid with holes drilled in it, or a lid with the trumpets removed, is likely to lead to the air box tuning design of the manufacturer being compromised with a possible performance drop over a standard air box lid setup as pressure waves are still reflected, but timing of pressure waves is altered.

Nottsbiker
22-04-2016, 07:11 PM
I suggested it for test purposes only ;)

willber
22-04-2016, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the information! Interesting to read about it in more detail. I have remapped the bike this evening with DP ecu map so will test ride the bike first and then look to chop the airbox.

Dirty
22-04-2016, 08:42 PM
Should be OK to run it briefly without the air box lid I'd say.
Don't bother drilling holes in the lid, cut it.
It's a common misconception that the main benefit of an open air box and free flow air filter is simply increased access to air for the engine - in fact the benefit is mainly down to changing the resonance characteristics of the air box assembly, resonance being the reflection or dissipation characteristics of pressure waves travelling up through the throttle bodies as a valve opens. A tuned air box will reflect this pressure wave off the air box lid and back down to the throttle bodies, where it arrives just as the inlet valve opens again, helping air to travel through the valve with a performance benefit. Downside is that this timing is only accurate within a narrow rev range - good for race bike engines, not ideal in normal road use.
An untuned or badly tuned air box will cause these shock waves of pressure to arrive back at the throttle body out of sync with the valve opening and may interfere with air travelling down through the throttle bodies, causing performance to be reduced. Road bike air box design tries to minimise the potential of this occurring across a broad engine speed range.

An open air box and free flow air filter allows these pressure waves to travel through the air filter and dissipate, thus not interfering with air flow through the throttle bodies at any engine speed.
Using a standard lid with holes drilled in it, or a lid with the trumpets removed, is likely to lead to the air box tuning design of the manufacturer being compromised with a possible performance drop over a standard air box lid setup as pressure waves are still reflected, but timing of pressure waves is altered.

Top answer sir, thank you :)

DrD
22-04-2016, 09:22 PM
If you do cut it, leave the leading edge there.
Not so much as to stop the filter getting wet while in rain (it will) BUT to stop water running down the fronmt of the tank while parked in rain and pooling in the air filter or inside the air box.
Water does not compress well if sucked in.
One of the reasons why I have a MWR filter now.