PDA

View Full Version : Where to get some parts from

gods_dad
02-10-2007, 07:35 PM
Hi there,

I am new to the forum and the Ducati world and what better introduction than a few electrical problems?!

I have recently bought a Monster 600 (2001) from my brother and it began to be a pain to start. It would start fine sometimes, but other times, you would get nothing on the starter button, but it would push start ok. The Neutral light would come on, but pushing the starter button just gave nowt, not even a click or dimming lights, just nothing. I prodded around and checked the voltage across the small connector that goes into the starter solenoid and was only getting 2.5ish volts. I bought a new battery (It needed one anyway) and found I was still getting the same. After reading up on this forum, I prodded the relays a bit and found that the voltage suddenly jumped to around 11.8v or so and when plugged in again, it started! Yippee!

I therefore think it is a problem with the relay (The ignition on I think). It's a yellow relay with the following code on it: PA66 GF30. Does anyone know where I could get a new one?

Also, I took the tank off and removed the sender for the fuel light as it was constantly on. I was going to try and pick up one of these too. There is one on eBay at the moment, but it seems to have 2 more wires than mine does which would go into the petrol tank? Seems a bit strange. If anyone could let me know where to get one of these too, that would be ace and a rough price would be handy too.

Finally, the bike does not have a rev counter which I find odd and a little disconcerting. I notice earlier (Or is it later) Monster 600's seem to have one. Is it at all easy to retro fit and it is worth it?

Very many thanks in advance for any help!

Tony

Scotty
02-10-2007, 07:56 PM
from my brother

that was your first mistake ;)

new relay cheap as chips from a dealer if ya dare make the treck to glasgee

the rev counter humm tougher one the computeriesed new fangeld clocks work of the ecu so if yours is a carbed beastie thats a no no, there is a dp revcounter you might pick up on ebay for the carbed generation but i dont think its rated too highly (fickel electronics) so you might be better off with an aftermarket gizmo of some sort , a proper responce might be allong soon like

uh welcome to 't :ukm:

i would like to take this opertunity to poch you for another forum though :look:

http://www.ducati-upnorth.com

:look:

katana
05-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Try a search on starter relays.

banditloon
05-10-2007, 01:29 PM
Finally, the bike does not have a rev counter which I find odd and a little disconcerting. I notice earlier (Or is it later) Monster 600's seem to have one. Is it at all easy to retro fit and it is worth it?

Very many thanks in advance for any help!

Tony

You'll need an aftermarket rev counter. The later models of the Monster have the rev counter as standard, but us poor folks with the earlier Monsters don't get such a luxury. There was someone on ebay making a rev counter/idiot light gizmo in Italy, but I can't find it on there at the moment.

I've got the aftermarket LED trickery rev counter on my 900, and some say that they are a bit tempremental, but (touch wood effect desk) mine hasn't had a problem so far. Then again I'm replacing the clocks on my 900 for an analog rev counter and speedo, as soon as the post office workers go back to work and find my parcel!

Steve Willmott
10-10-2007, 09:46 PM
The starter relay is a very common fault. Pull the yellow cover off it, inside there are a pair of contacts. Give them a clean with some fine emery or wet & dry, blow the dust off & refit the cover. Do mine once a year, no problems. My monster is a '96 model still on the original relay.

banditloon
11-10-2007, 04:07 PM

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ducati-Monster-speedometer-REV-METER-REV-Counter_W0QQitemZ110179377492QQihZ001QQcategoryZ10 448QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Rev counter on Ebay for sale :D

dunlop0_1
11-10-2007, 06:21 PM
+1 on the yellow relay. Came to my 748 last sunday and all the ignition lights were on and the key was in my hand. Damp inside and on the contacts of the relay. Less than a tenner for a new one. Bought 2 just in case.

:mand: :mand: :mand:

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q289/dunlop0_1/IM001178.jpg

Nickj
11-10-2007, 08:06 PM
That looks rather neat Loon, something like that in the newer series clocks would look rather cool

banditloon
11-10-2007, 09:03 PM
That looks rather neat Loon, something like that in the newer series clocks would look rather cool

I just received my clocks today from Germany. Just need to work out what all the little wires do. Oh and sit down and work out how to fit it ;)