PDA

View Full Version : 620ie Dark...hopefully

Danstable
24-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Hello all, I'm hoping to enter this Monsterous world in the next few weeks having spent 3 months on a 125 Vespa....and am now hooked on two wheels!

I've got my eye on a single caliper 2004 Dark 620ie, love the looks and the sound. Have found a great deal on tuition for my test, just need to find out what I'm going to be hit for by the insurance co (MCE at the mo from memory).

I understand the 620 is injected rather than carbed like the 600, does this make for smoother riding and easier winter use? Also, what does the 'S' that I some times see mean...620 iSe or Sie....can't remember!

I don't much like the look of the single caliper, is a double caliper upgrade costly....and worth it for the money? Also want to chop the tail and perhaps fit a funky rear light and indicators.

Finally, I plan to do some longer journeys, is a fly screen a good investment, i.e. do they keep some of the wind off?

Thanks in advance, I look forward to seeing more of you all :)

Dan

andros
25-09-2007, 06:48 AM
Hello and welcome. I started off on a 620 and have to say its a very good choice of next bike for you. The 620 with having fuel injection is very smooth and none of the icing problems of carbs.

I suspect that it would probably not be worth upgrading to twin calipers but someone else may be able to offer some more advice on this.

Good look on your learning.

JerryXt
25-09-2007, 06:49 AM
Hi Dan, welcome to the club! I'm no expert on versions of monsters, someone will be along in a few who does know tho.

Re second caliper - it IS expensive, probably not really worth it IMHO for London riding. I have an S4Rs and a Yammy Xt. The RS has some of the best brakes around, and the Xt has a single disk up front. I run excellent tyres on both and now I know how fast I can stop on the RS, I'm really pulling the lever hard like you're supposed to on the Xt. The stopping power on one disk is more than you'll ever need. Guys race 600s on a single disk.

Fly screens are ok and keep some of the blast off.

DON'T CHOP!!!

Enjoy!

Danstable
25-09-2007, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the welcome but I'm intruiged.....why not chop?! Is it just a purist thing or does it have a detrimental effect on something?

Is there anyone in the Cetral/East London area who could take a look at a bike with me? I have no idea what I'm looking for and obviously can't take it for a test ride.

Cheers,

Dan

JerryXt
25-09-2007, 07:31 AM
no, it's a purist thing! Chopping is a bit like being a druid. All wrong :D

Sorry, it's sunny and I've got the Rizoma catalogue open - brings the worst out!

See if Katana is free - he's a helpful bloke and hangs around your way.

Danstable
25-09-2007, 07:48 AM
I don't have access to the member list so can't find Katana....any chance you could draw his attention to my plight?!

pete
25-09-2007, 07:24 PM
Before you spend your hard-earned you may like to check-out some bikes for sale on here - for example:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=24329&highlight=Pete

Got 2 discs and a screen (Dart flyscreen, not the wobbley Ducati one) for starters and it's the best colour :D

You won't need someone in the know to help check it over either !

Better pics available if you are interested. Price negotiable.

Cheers,

Pete

Danstable
25-09-2007, 08:28 PM
Hmmm....tempting! From what I know that seems like a good price too (although your lower price is still £700 more than the one I've been to see).

If I'm honest, yellow isn't really my colour, I prefer the mean and moody black....and I don't have a handbag to match!

CK & AK
25-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Dan, for a first bike (I'm not counting the vespa :p ) I'd reckon that Pete's is a good deal at about the price he is asking - better spec all round than the dark

When you've crashed/dropped/bumped it (everyone does at some point with a first 'big' bike) then plan on changing the colour, as there isnt much to get re-painted). At least with the dark evenings coming in, you wont be missed by grannies popping out for bingo midweek when you come home from work - with a yellow bike ;)

C:)

Danstable
25-09-2007, 08:55 PM
Dan, for a first bike (I'm not counting the vespa :p ) I'd reckon that Pete's is a good deal at about the price he is asking - better spec all round than the dark

When you've crashed/dropped/bumped it (everyone does at some point with a first 'big' bike) then plan on changing the colour, as there isnt much to get re-painted). At least with the dark evenings coming in, you wont be missed by grannies popping out for bingo midweek when you come home from work - with a yellow bike ;)

C:)

Good points but I can't stretch to more than £1,800 really, I've got a great deal on my test/tuition but the insurance has come as a bit of a shocker. Need to fund it all out of what I get for my 3 month old Vespa GTS 125 with 2,200km on the clock. I recon £2,300 is realistic, maybe a shade more.