PDA

View Full Version : Warning - Unscrupulous Member

yusaf1
23-09-2007, 05:38 PM
I saw the thread for a new metallic tank for sale on this site and thought it would look good on my bike. I read the comments left by the seller and other members to make sure it would fit. I liased with the seller and told him the year and engine size of my bike to which he responded that this tank would fit any air cooled injection bike.

I met up with him, asked again about the fitting and his response was the same, yes it will fit.

I paid him in cash and off I went a happy camper.

Guess what.....it didn't fit by a long shot.

After a week of contacting this member by pm on this site, message on mobile and landline....nothing! No response back.

Regards
Yusaf.

Scotty
23-09-2007, 06:28 PM
[diplomatic mode on]
perhaps it would have been more prudent (i dont even know the meaning of that word) to ask for help contacting said 'member' about said purchace ~:?

[diplomacy off]

name and SHaMe , ShaMe him/her do it do it now
you can pm me the dirt i wont tell honnest

orr to make a game of it maybe we should have a guessing game

was it..... wheeler deeler dellboy himself ? ;) only jokeing hes a true profeshonal

Kiwi
23-09-2007, 06:54 PM
perhaps it would have been more prudent (i dont even know the meaning of that word) to ask for help contacting said 'member' about said purchace ~:?

I think he had tried that option

PM the details to any body whom requests them would possibly be the best option

naming people on a forum is not in the interests of either the forum or your own interests, these things have a tendancy to back fire

Also report the individual involved to a moderator, you may not be the first person to have had deals turn pear shaped.

gremlin
23-09-2007, 07:30 PM
Doesn't sound like any of our regulars, everyone I've come across so far has been more than helpful and any bits have been sent and have been just right. Could be that said member is on holiday or out of country or whatever, perhaps another pm and obviously this thread may do the trick.
There was something similar on vmax site, a great wailing and gnashing of teeth and the guy at the centre had been on holiday and hadn't realised there was a problem. Discretion is the better part of valour in most cases. I know it is hard to cope with at the time but things usually sort themselves out.

Nickj
23-09-2007, 07:33 PM
Being charitable it's possible the mystery person is away somewhere but you would expect a txt message to get through. Last time I was in far distant lands I did get a few but only replied to family stuff as it was relatively expensive.
Few months ago I scooted off for a weekend forgot the mobile needed a charge, so it was dead for four days.
If the person did post here regularly then a look and see if there's anything recent might indicate if they're actually around.

Personally I'd be pissed off and do something like hammer the mobile with texts, probably start with a service like http://www.textmagic.co.uk/ (there are cheaper) and fire off a few hundred.
Also call lots, probably hourly when I was working a night shift for a full 24 hours, maybe longer.

Scotty .... prudent, isn't that something to do with prunes?

yusaf1
23-09-2007, 07:59 PM
the member at question was logged on at the time of my original post. I sent him a pm asking why he was choosing to ignore my attempts to contact him....still no response

slob
23-09-2007, 08:04 PM
the member at question was logged on at the time of my original post. I sent him a pm asking why he was choosing to ignore my attempts to contact him....still no response

Showing as 'logged in' isn't 100% reliable, as Gremlin says he could be on holiday.

yusaf1
23-09-2007, 08:10 PM
not too sure about the holiday issue, I've been trying to give the benefit of the doubt but hard to do so when he's been logging in and out all evening.

crust
23-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Oi, people

Last time we had these sort of allegations it turned out to be entirely innocent so lets be sensible until we know for sure

Yusaf1

pm the persons Name along with some details to Benson, she can get in touch as acting president and maybe resolve the matter amicably

In the mean time, in what way dosen't it fit?

:) Crust

JMo
23-09-2007, 09:08 PM
As Crust says, why/where doesn't it fit exactly?

If it's the tank I think it is (it's not rocket science, use the search facility... x) then it ought to (physically) fit? - however, the problem might be the mounting hinge - the plastic tanks (as fitted to later bikes) have a different hinge to that on the metal ie tanks, and the positioning is slightly different... otherwise the tank clip and the rubber pads that sit on the frame are the same...

I know this, as I fitted a plastic tank to my 2002 M620ie which originally had a metal tank (of a similar vintage to the 'Metallic' ie tanks) - I really can't see it wouldn't fit the other way round, as the heads are the same shape and the battery is in the same place?

xxx

Nickj
23-09-2007, 09:23 PM
Might be interesting to compare two tanks side by side and see just what the difference is. They don't look massively different if at all but the frames did change didn't they so mounting and maybe some angles are different.
Anyone got an answer?

Scotty
24-09-2007, 03:37 PM
awe and i so wanted a lynch mob

umm the diferences in tank has always curbed my semi desire to buy one of the airbrushed tanks from the carbed bikes

yusaf1
24-09-2007, 04:01 PM
The day after I posted this he came back from holiday.....silly me for jumping the gun!!!! Another instance of something being sold the day before going away...

With the tank in hand I have simply found out that it fits any fuel injected monster with an upright large butt cell battery NOT the gel type.

He has come back to me saying it was my fault and tough luck.

I apologise for bringing this to the attention of others in trying to help someone not having a similar loss of faith and many pounds.

Regards

slob
24-09-2007, 05:14 PM
Ah well, stick it if the 'For Sale' section, maybe you'll make a few quid.

singletrack
24-09-2007, 06:36 PM
It's a shame it doesn't fit, yusaf.

It doesn't look like he tried to rip you off - just did not know it would not fit.

I hope you manage to sell it and get the part you need. Someone must need that tank.

gary tompkins
24-09-2007, 08:13 PM
Not sure if this is an option :scratch:

Have you considered swapping the battery over?

Paivi
24-09-2007, 10:23 PM
Not sure if this is an option :scratch:

Have you considered swapping the battery over?

Why should he, after all the expense he's gone through already? The vendor TWICE said it would fit, and it didn't. OK, not because of the bike design but of the battery design. Very bad form from this seller, he should accept the tank bag. People like that are exactly the reason I never buy anything off anybody but a dealer.

nbatty3
25-09-2007, 09:06 AM
bang the tank on ebay it'll sell try and describe it well part no. on the bottom and a few photo's you never know it might bring profit?
good luck!