PDA

View Full Version : Monster (New Model Being Tested)

desmo
20-09-2007, 11:24 AM
According to MCN yesterday, the new Monster has been spotted being tested near the factory & MCN were asking people to keep their eyes open & try to take some piccies.

In another article in the paper, they were advertising the Excel show in London & saying that the new Monster would be displayed there, but they didn't mention the bike show at the NEC.

Sounds interesting, especially to me, as I had intended buying 2x new Monsters in the spring.

Waiting for the piccies in anticipation :mand: :mand: :mand:

Desmo.

giler
20-09-2007, 11:49 AM
Mmm, worries me a little.
Wonder how far they will deviate from a classic design we all love.

gremlin
20-09-2007, 01:39 PM
If it goes the way of most new designs it will be more angular, which will be a shame cos I like the rounded shape, it's a bit more cuddly if you know what I mean. That sounds really girlie! I do like the aggressive shape of the KTM Superduke but they've alway been that way and really masculine but the monster does suit us girls as well which alot of bikes don't do.

JerryXt
20-09-2007, 01:50 PM
there were rumours of the aircooled style being retained, but the watercooled monsters would be phased out in favour of 1098 engined beasties. Presumably these would be styled more like the KTM superduke.

Mr Cake
20-09-2007, 03:58 PM
but the watercooled monsters would be phased out in favour of 1098 engined beasties.
Which I'm guessing is still liquid-cooled :scratch: :rolleyes: This is no different to what Ducati has done with Monsters of the past. All of the liquid-cooled engines they've used in Monsters have been from the sports (9**) range. They have never built a liquid-cooled engine to be specifically used in one. And why would they? They're some of the laziest engineers I've seen :rolleyes:

Dave

Anf
20-09-2007, 04:32 PM
I hope they go down this route

http://www.naulapaa.com/vehicle.html

I would seriously consider one

damon
20-09-2007, 05:13 PM
I hope they go down this route

http://www.naulapaa.com/vehicle.html

I would seriously consider one

That looks awesome, man if ONLY they come out with something like that and then i can save myself blowing money on a 848 :woot:

JerryXt
20-09-2007, 05:36 PM
Which I'm guessing is still liquid-cooled :scratch: :rolleyes: This is no different to what Ducati has done with Monsters of the past. All of the liquid-cooled engines they've used in Monsters have been from the sports (9**) range. They have never built a liquid-cooled engine to be specifically used in one. And why would they? They're some of the laziest engineers I've seen :rolleyes:

Dave

...watercooled would be a new range, visually different from the monster possibly to address the KTM / Benelli / MV Brutale

Mr Cake
20-09-2007, 05:40 PM
Ah right, got yer. That would be nice but I can't see them doing it. Is the Hypermoturd liquid-cooled?

Dave

NattyBoy
20-09-2007, 06:03 PM
I was fortunate enough to go to a meeting at the world presidents bash in June with Claudio Domenicali and the CEO new Gabriele Del Torchio in attendance and they were questioned systematically about the new monster.

We were told that the new monster is (obviously) critical to the companies fortunes and the new design would be an evolution of the existing shape..much like the 911's development over the years (if you look at the latest water cooled model it has obvious similarities to the original 1950's design).

I am not expecting the new monster to be a radical departure...and I think the factory have learnt by there mistakes with the 999 shape !

Mr Cake
20-09-2007, 06:09 PM
Claudio Domenicali and the CEO new Gabriele Del Torchio
Those names sounded heavy, Nat. I don't blame you for dropping them ;)

I think the factory have learnt by there mistakes with the 999 shape !
Quite true.

Dave

JerryXt
20-09-2007, 07:06 PM
...but feel the quality! IMHO, although the 1098 is a stunner, when you get close, the finish is nowhere the same as the 999.

Still, this is a Monster forum... :)

jerry
21-09-2007, 01:19 PM
I dont like the 1098 it has no character , could be a Yammy R1 and the finsish is crummy,

giler
21-09-2007, 01:27 PM
I dont like the 1098 it has no character , could be a Yammy R1 and the finsish is crummy,

Yeah but no but yeah but - 1098 engine in a monster:woot:

crust
21-09-2007, 02:15 PM
Those names sounded heavy, Nat. I don't blame you for dropping them ;)
Dave

they're pussycats

he walked out of their meeting with a smile on his face

his meeting with Signore Limoncello on the other hand ;)

:twak: Crust

JerryXt
21-09-2007, 03:09 PM

ah yes, but you'd have to have a radiator, then no-one would talk to you again!

Pedro
21-09-2007, 03:17 PM
Just heard on the grapevine that there will be an S4RS Evo next year - a retuned 1098 motor....!

jerry
23-09-2007, 03:52 PM

Yes my thought exactly .

barbican
23-09-2007, 04:06 PM
Anyone make anything out on this?

http://www.motoblog.it/tag/binetto

slob
23-09-2007, 05:19 PM
Anyone make anything out on this?

http://www.motoblog.it/tag/binetto

yeah three bikes on test at Binetto, two with high-level pipes one with medium-level, Headlight is lower like the 'Brutale'. Swingarm is box section ally, chassis looks totally new and not like the old lattice(although motor manufacturers are famous for covering new kit in cardboard and gaffer tape to disguise the actual shape from prying photographers). No info on engines.

barbican
23-09-2007, 05:54 PM
Thanks

I get the box section swingarm - as a design que from the 1098, and the different styles of exhausts, but cant believe they'd drop the latice so as you say cardboard and tape

seby
23-09-2007, 06:05 PM
here more informations

http://ducatimonsterclub.it/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=101&topic=6986.0

Nickj
23-09-2007, 08:02 PM
Cardboard and tape wouldn't be very rigid and definitely only be good for sunny days, frame would go all soggy else.
Header pipes are a bit aggressively curled and I'm not convinced that elliptical wheels would catch on.
Could be anything couldn't it, an overbored C90 in a frame with real forks and wheels. Customised Yam V... I'd wait and see myself.

DavidEJM
23-09-2007, 08:54 PM
........... I'm not convinced that elliptical wheels would catch on.

Well, they'd catch on the mudguard if nothing else :)

That design study from earlier in the thread is the way to go! Obviously Monster but with enough update and a renewed aggression. Lovin' the lights too.

Nickj
23-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Liked those too David, plently of scope for some nice cool mods

Blah blah
24-09-2007, 05:51 PM
Nice to see it's still got the tea tray !!!

desmo
24-09-2007, 06:03 PM
More info here.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/mcn/2007/September/sept24-30/sept2407newducatimonsterspiedtesting/

Desmo.

Dave G
24-09-2007, 08:16 PM
Not sure that actually IS the new monster,it could also be the scrambler model thats been talked about.
Need to wait and find a bit more info I suppose.

Thats a hell of a big swingarm for a streetbike too:scratch:

http://www.motoblog.it/post/9795/prototipo-ducati-monster-in-pista-a-binetto

Heres the blog MCN stole the photo from only to put their logo over :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

kaysee
25-09-2007, 06:56 AM
Dont get all excited, you are reading MCN. More Complete Nonsense.:D

gremlin
25-09-2007, 08:47 AM
But sometimes they're not far off what actually comes out so I guess the jury is out. I just hope it doesn't go all bony looking, I like the aggressive look but it's not for me, I love the Brutale but it is fairly rounded I guess it's a Kate Moss versus Nigella type thing to put it in bloke type terms. I can't think of any male comparisons. Brad Pitt v Sean Bean I suppose!

Seb_uk
25-09-2007, 08:56 AM
I hope I'm wrong, but I can feel another 999 disaster coming on...... :( If they change the design of the monster too much then they might as well change the name too as it won't be a monster anymore. And if they get rid of the round headlight I may burst into tears! I was planning on getting a S4RS in two and a half years when I've finished paying for my 695, but now I don't know if it will still be available, at least in anything resembling it's current form!

JerryXt
25-09-2007, 09:08 AM
But sometimes they're not far off what actually comes out so I guess the jury is out. I just hope it doesn't go all bony looking, I like the aggressive look but it's not for me, I love the Brutale but it is fairly rounded I guess it's a Kate Moss versus Nigella type thing to put it in bloke type terms. I can't think of any male comparisons. Brad Pitt v Sean Bean I suppose!

I think that's why they're not putting the 1098 engine into a Monster shape - they want to retain the classic monster shape for people like us, but also attract the KTM SuperDuke / Brutale / Tuono market who want something more aggressive looking.

Personally, the shape is one reason why I bought a Monster.

giler
25-09-2007, 10:00 AM

Definately Nigella over Kate any day!!

barbican
25-09-2007, 10:09 AM
Definately Nigella over Kate any day!!

Yep I'd like to see that - good call