PDA

View Full Version : Who knows where to find GOOD racing leathers in small sizes

Nim
17-09-2007, 03:38 PM
The alpine stars i had on when i crashed were c**p and after comparing them to others, had no padding in the right places (eg hips)

I really want to have some really good and protective leathers for next track day and general riding, but am having no luck finding any!

Many brands dont do small sizes in racing leathers (ie with better protection, knee sliders etc) even though they do them as standard for blokes.

Anyone got any ideas?? the only one i found that fit me were a spidi 1 piece for £700 in bright torquoise.....i thought two piece would be more useable on an everyday basis.

oh, and small gloves with good protection....

Ive tried on everything i can find in the inner and outer london (and essex) area, and no luck :(

Thanks!

Zimbo
17-09-2007, 03:46 PM
Had you considered Made to Measure?

http://www.solocorse.co.uk/

Give them a call, speak to David, say I recommended you, and see how much they'd charge for made to measure one or two piece, I bet it's a lot less than £700 and you get to design it as well if you want. Guaranteed perfect fit. I've got a set of their leathers and they're good quality, very soft, good protection.

banditloon
17-09-2007, 03:47 PM

I've just bought some Joe Rocket gloves from Infirmity at Chelsea. £69 for small. Plastic moulded knuckles, padded finger protection, good long wrist protection.. and yes they are small size :D

http://www.ladybiker.co.uk/

Have you tried that site??

Good luck on the search Nim :thumbsup:

Nim
17-09-2007, 03:49 PM
I've just bought some Joe Rocket gloves from Infirmity at Chelsea. £69 for small. Plastic moulded knuckles, padded finger protection, good long wrist protection.. and yes they are small size :D

http://www.ladybiker.co.uk/

Have you tried that site??

Good luck on the search Nim :thumbsup:

thanks thats great, ill check it out....i have kiddie sized hands so i would have said 'are you sure theyre small?' lol!!!

i thought of made to measure, but have not got zillions of pounds to do this...altho will bear it in mind. thanks!

Zimbo
17-09-2007, 03:52 PM
Edited - see above. The price may surprise you.

Nim
17-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Edited - see above. The price may surprise you.

Thanks for that info, you're a star!!!!

slob
17-09-2007, 03:57 PM
http://www.girlsbike2.com/

Nim
17-09-2007, 03:59 PM
http://www.girlsbike2.com/

Thanks, but i find them really overpriced, altho nice bunch of ladies! :)

In fact, they ar the ones that had the spidis that fit me for 700 squids

crust
17-09-2007, 04:53 PM
Give Mike a ring at MW

Their made to measures are great. They were one of the first into armour and do fully CE leathers.

He'll do whatever you want, extra pockets, reinforcements, whatever

M W Leathers
Address : Rear of 18 Barking Road, East Ham, London
Postcode : E6 3BP

Telephone : 020 8471 3933
Fax : 020 8471 3933

Really good quality, strong, tough gear. I used his stuff as a courier lasted years, my mates in the courier trade still use his gear.

:)Crust

JerryXt
17-09-2007, 04:54 PM
there's a lovely woman who fitted my leathers years ago and is still at it. If you get some that are close, she'll make them fit perfectly.

ah, the memories - blonde, six foot, playing with my legs... I've got her card somewhere

Later....

Gilps
17-09-2007, 06:23 PM
Had you considered Made to Measure?

http://www.solocorse.co.uk/

Give them a call, speak to David, say I recommended you, and see how much they'd charge for made to measure one or two piece, I bet it's a lot less than £700 and you get to design it as well if you want. Guaranteed perfect fit. I've got a set of their leathers and they're good quality, very soft, good protection.

I'll second that recommendation. Harriebird wears his leathers and they look like good quality gear. I'm going to be getting them to make some trousers for me for the road.

I had my race suit made by Harpers leathers in Southend. Made to measure, excellent quality, £550. They are Wolf leathers as Harpers used to own the brand before selling it to the current owners. I've crashed in them loads and they are excellent.:mand:

singletrack
17-09-2007, 06:28 PM
I'll second that recommendation. Harriebird wears his leathers and they look like good quality gear. I'm going to be getting them to make some trousers for me for the road.

I had my race suit made by Harpers leathers in Southend. Made to measure, excellent quality, £550. They are Wolf leathers as Harpers used to own the brand before selling it to the current owners. I've crashed in them loads and they are excellent.:mand:

I phoned Harpers about making some leathers for me but they weren't interested - I guess they hadn't got enough wolf skins for my fuller figure.

gremlin
17-09-2007, 06:33 PM
I got mine from Just Bikers, admittedly a few years ago, but they're really comfy, have extra padding on knees and hips. They are also thinsulate lined which in the summer is a bit too much but wintertime they're great. I'm only 5'1 and size 8 and when they were ordered they asked how long I wanted the leg so they could get the zips right around the ankle. They were only around £70. Hein Gericke have a sale on at the mo and they do little sizes, I got my jacket from there and I think they can alter them too.

Nickj
17-09-2007, 06:49 PM
http://www.toywebb.net/prod2016.htm small enough?

JerryXt
17-09-2007, 06:53 PM
wicked - I want one of those!

Gilps
17-09-2007, 06:59 PM
I phoned Harpers about making some leathers for me but they weren't interested - I guess they hadn't got enough wolf skins for my fuller figure.

I'm surpised at that Anne. Making leathers is what they do for a business so why they wouldn't want to make some for you is beyond me. They made mine in February this years so maybe something has changed at their end. Did you speak with Phil Harper in Southend or the shop in London?

Nim
17-09-2007, 07:07 PM
http://www.toywebb.net/prod2016.htm small enough?

Perfect, im ordering them in every colour so i can match them to my nailpolish :)

marchesini
17-09-2007, 10:46 PM
The alpine stars i had on when i crashed were c**p and after comparing them to others, had no padding in the right places (eg hips)

I really want to have some really good and protective leathers for next track day and general riding, but am having no luck finding any!

Many brands dont do small sizes in racing leathers (ie with better protection, knee sliders etc) even though they do them as standard for blokes.

Anyone got any ideas?? the only one i found that fit me were a spidi 1 piece for £700 in bright torquoise.....i thought two piece would be more useable on an everyday basis.

Ive tried on everything i can find in the inner and outer london (and essex) area, and no luck :(

Thanks!

Hi Nim,

sorry to hear of your off but you survived and lived to tell the tale.

Re the leathers, I have a set you can have - cheap(ish). Dainese, same size as ones you borrowed at Mallory with a back protector and worn knee sliders (very important). You can try them out first / borrow them if you like and go from there.

If interested, let me know

simon

ps: attached are some pics of them in action (you may recognise others in the pics;)). They have magnets in the knees to pull your knee closer to the tarmac and are very aerodynamic. In fact, since I stopped wearing these I have definitely got slower - ask FB and natty or maybe that's just age?

singletrack
18-09-2007, 04:41 AM
I'm surpised at that Anne. Making leathers is what they do for a business so why they wouldn't want to make some for you is beyond me. They made mine in February this years so maybe something has changed at their end. Did you speak with Phil Harper in Southend or the shop in London?

I spoke to the shop in Leigh on sea (is that Southend?)

They didn't seem to want to make the effort to make made to measure for a lady. Apparently they needed a pair of leathers almost my size to make the pattern from, and didn't have any at the time.
They were going to phone me back when they got some in - but never did! I wasn't going to chase them if they couldn't be bothered.
Hopefully I will be able to buy some off the peg ones next Spring.

Gilps
18-09-2007, 05:48 AM
I spoke to the shop in Leigh on sea (is that Southend?)

They didn't seem to want to make the effort to make made to measure for a lady. Apparently they needed a pair of leathers almost my size to make the pattern from, and didn't have any at the time.
They were going to phone me back when they got some in - but never did! I wasn't going to chase them if they couldn't be bothered.
Hopefully I will be able to buy some off the peg ones next Spring.

Blimey, that's not good at all. They have an unusual way of working. They take a look at you, get you into a set of leathers roughly your size which they have the patterns for, then work out where they need to add on or subtract. If they don't have any leathers to start with then they are a bit stuffed really. I had arranged to meet Phil at the Excel show earleir this year so when I got there on the last day of the show they had sold all the leathers they had brought and had nothing for me to try on. They eventually managed to rustle up a set from somewhere in the back of a van I think. I was not amused.
The customer focus does seem to be a bit lacking initially. Not good really, but the end product is excellent, and they managed to turn mine round in one week.
Yes Leigh on sea is what I was referring to as Southend.
The link Graeme put up earlier to solo corse is good. I've seen his stuff and do like it.

Kato
18-09-2007, 07:13 AM
Nine Lives
13B Morris Road,
Northcamp
Farnboro
GU14 6HJ

01252 523232

These guy's are the dogs danglie's will make anything you want many racers use them and they are quick well worth a call, they do boot repairs as well... way better than solocorse IMO

Zimbo
18-09-2007, 07:30 AM
Nine Lives
13B Morris Road,
Northcamp
Farnboro
GU14 6HJ

01252 523232

These guy's are the dogs danglie's will make anything you want many racers use them and they are quick well worth a call, they do boot repairs as well... way better than solocorse IMO

Price?? Hideout and BKS will also make you leathers, many racers use them too and the product is excellent, but they're well over a grand a set . . .

JerryXt
18-09-2007, 07:59 AM
Nim, did you give Sondel a call? Last time I was there they had some really small looking stuff. My lovely red suit (still not sure, but it's growing on me) was a bargain and I had free boots - Kato, I know, there's a reason they were free!

http://www.clownstuff.com/YELRED.JPG

Nim
18-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Hi Nim,

sorry to hear of your off but you survived and lived to tell the tale.

Re the leathers, I have a set you can have - cheap(ish). Dainese, same size as ones you borrowed at Mallory with a back protector and worn knee sliders (very important). You can try them out first / borrow them if you like and go from there.

If interested, let me know

simon

ps: attached are some pics of them in action (you may recognise others in the pics;)). They have magnets in the knees to pull your knee closer to the tarmac and are very aerodynamic. In fact, since I stopped wearing these I have definitely got slower - ask FB and natty or maybe that's just age?

Thanks simon, that would be great, but they were quite a bit too big and im a little paranoid due to fall, so want them to be a close fit (but not to close that i have to lifted onto my bike :))

do you want to remind me of size anyways just in case? i like the whole magnet idea....

ps...whats your opinion on monster on track?

Zimbo
18-09-2007, 02:43 PM
ps...whats your opinion on monster on track?

It's pointless telling you what a monster is capable of on track Nim, better to show you.
Have a look at some of these vids, anything on board with Paul Martin (583 monster) or Claire Domoney (620 monster) should give you some idea.

http://www.kapitalmototv.co.uk/?c=desmodue

You'll need the latest quicktime plugin installed to view them
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/