PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Sussex!

gcwebbyuk
17-09-2007, 12:54 PM
Hi All

I test rode a Ducati Monster S4r on Saturday, wasnt planning too, had just test ridden an R6 and found it very cramped and a bit manic, so went for a ride on the Monster - I fell in Love/Lust for it! :devil:

My previous bike was an 01 Honda CB600F Hornet. Which I loved, but had to sell to fund a car for work.

I had considered the Monster 695, but since riding the S4r, I know it is the bike for me!

Few questions though:
1) What benefits do you get with the S4RS over the S4R, i know that you get Ohlins suspension, but are the wheels different too? How much an improvment is it over the S4R?

2) How much would a set of Termis cost for this bike? I have seen two sets in the Ducati Accessories catalogue, both have a pic of an airfilter and a chip with them, but in the text only the Race Kit mentions them.

3) How much am I looking at for Servicing - rough prices, as I know everywhere is different.

4) I noticed that the clutch was very heavy, and I heard about a slave cylinder kit to make it lighter - how much is this?

Many Thanks

Hope to be riding one soon!!! :yoparty:

barbican
17-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Hi All

I test rode a Ducati Monster S4r on Saturday, wasnt planning too, had just test ridden an R6 and found it very cramped and a bit manic, so went for a ride on the Monster - I fell in Love/Lust for it! :devil:

My previous bike was an 01 Honda CB600F Hornet. Which I loved, but had to sell to fund a car for work.

I had considered the Monster 695, but since riding the S4r, I know it is the bike for me!

Few questions though:
1) What benefits do you get with the S4RS over the S4R, i know that you get Ohlins suspension, but are the wheels different too? How much an improvment is it over the S4R?

2) How much would a set of Termis cost for this bike? I have seen two sets in the Ducati Accessories catalogue, both have a pic of an airfilter and a chip with them, but in the text only the Race Kit mentions them.

3) How much am I looking at for Servicing - rough prices, as I know everywhere is different.

4) I noticed that the clutch was very heavy, and I heard about a slave cylinder kit to make it lighter - how much is this?

Many Thanks

Hope to be riding one soon!!! :yoparty:

1) You get some CF parts on the RS which are plastic on the R, Wheels I think are the same - How much better? the RS is way beyond my skill as a rider, and not having ridden the 4R I couldn't say how different it is, someone on here probably can - I got the RS because at the time the 4R didn't have the 999 motor which it now does, and because I would have lusted after the ohlins etc and bought them anyway at more cost - Ride both of them analyse it carefuly against the kind of riding you do --- then buy with your heart!

2) I had the full system installed for £1400 not sure what the slip on set costs, but there are many after market alternatives. Both Termi's come with filter and chip but I think only the full system eliminates the catalyser and O2 sensors thus making the bike easier to adjust the fueling with PC3 etc (which I havn't done). Full system made a big difference, its now sweeter at low RPM's pulls very hard from 3.5-4k and goes mental around 7k. There are so many options here that you should have a chat with some of the others and also decide if its ultimate performance - noise or looks that you want. Do a search on the site for some good pics. You can also get a stubby termi pipe that slips on to the cat which sounds awsome.

3) 07 bikes are cheaper since service intervals are longer - if you are buying new and want to use your dealer for warranty reasons etc, talk to them about what they will charge given your anual mileage, some are flexible. I've only done 3500 since April 06 and spent about 250 on servicing, because of the mileage I don't think everything was done, but the service record is all stamped up and the bikes running well - next year will be more because of belts and valve gaps etc, so I expect 2-300

4) Don't know - someone else will. I don't do a lot of town riding and I've got used to the clutch as it is, but I think they're about £100

By the way welcome to the world of Monsters and UKMOC whatever you get will be great cos there's no crap ones but Black is best and faster than Red:ukm:

eddie munster
17-09-2007, 01:54 PM
you can get larger slave cylinders on ebay from 20 quid up...i got used to mine too however...check out http://www.spareshack.com/ for some alternatives to the termis...

S4Rs-Tone
17-09-2007, 02:03 PM
hey barbican 103 well done.

barbican
17-09-2007, 02:17 PM
hey barbican 103 well done.

Yup - 103 and all bollox!!

Manda
17-09-2007, 02:52 PM
Hello from another Sussexite. Good choice of bike!

gcwebbyuk
17-09-2007, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the info!

I agree with you on the ohlins stuff, I was always considering replacing at least the shock on my old Hornet for Ohlins, and probably the fork internals - even though I probably didnt need to, its just a bit of bike bling!

With regard to power gains from Termis, I dont think I would want for more power, there seemed a shedload available and its so much more obtainable being a V-Twin (L-Twin) than my old inline four, so its purely for a bit more noise and looks. Are any other exhaust manufacturer as good for noise on Ducatis as Termi? I have seen a video clip on YouTube of an Arrow setup, but it looked very out of place compared to the Termis.

Thanks once again!

gcwebbyuk
17-09-2007, 05:11 PM
Oh another question, what are they like for taking pillions? Wife used to come on the back of the Hornet a fair amount, but the seat looks pretty tiddly and uncomfortable - that may be a blessing in disguise as it means she wont be telling me to back off by jabbing her knees into my ribs if she isnt on it!

barbican
17-09-2007, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the info!

I agree with you on the ohlins stuff, I was always considering replacing at least the shock on my old Hornet for Ohlins, and probably the fork internals - even though I probably didnt need to, its just a bit of bike bling!

With regard to power gains from Termis, I dont think I would want for more power, there seemed a shedload available and its so much more obtainable being a V-Twin (L-Twin) than my old inline four, so its purely for a bit more noise and looks. Are any other exhaust manufacturer as good for noise on Ducatis as Termi? I have seen a video clip on YouTube of an Arrow setup, but it looked very out of place compared to the Termis.

Thanks once again!

Some of the bikes I've heard at meets sound better than my termis! I'ts all a matter of taste. Stu69's stubby Termi is very nice, Zard and Sil also - get along to some meets and listen to them. The fit on the termi full system is also a little suspect, so check this out at the same time.

Get J.P. to post a piccie of his new high level jobbies, they look nice too

barbican
17-09-2007, 05:50 PM
Oh another question, what are they like for taking pillions? Wife used to come on the back of the Hornet a fair amount, but the seat looks pretty tiddly and uncomfortable - that may be a blessing in disguise as it means she wont be telling me to back off by jabbing her knees into my ribs if she isnt on it!

Wife made me get another bike because she didn't like the pilion seat on the monster and I didn't tell her about and the corbin or sargent seats that look better than the standard job. Not to mention custom ones.

Pilion grabhandles were designed for some species other than humans.

I have got a Monstrack back rest I could sell you if you like!

Now I've posted this there will be loads of people saying they're happy on the back, but in truth its not the monnies strong point, so get someone to take you on the back of theirs and see what you think

Look at the "Corbin on fleabay" thread earlier today

JerryXt
17-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Welcome - there's a mine of info here!

One thing to bear in mind with the pipes is that Termi's don't invalidate the warranty - every other pipe does tho. Having said that, ProTwins - my pushers of all things Ducati - may have been able to keep the warranty intact with other makes.

Has anyone else heard the rumour that Ducati might ditch Termi's for AK as preferred after-market pipe?

Re slip-ons, they cost about £800 and include the ecu and air filter kit. They look like the same 'silencer' as used on the full system. You can buy a cat eliminator, which removes all the nastiness under the bike and removes a load of weight too.

Torque is SOOOOO much better with the cat gone. I said the same about not needing more, but I'd bet you'd want it BAD if you tried it back to back :)

IMHO, the bike has a little too much torque and power for much pillion work.

SazzaG
17-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Welcome welcome, fellow Sussexite!

I'm your friendly area rep, so I hope to see you out and about once you've got your new monster.

I've been pillion on my monster a couple of times, and I'm not a huge fan. The hubbie's Hypermotard is much more comfortable! The best way to deal with the pillion problem is to get her to go out and get her own bike. Worked with me!

Saz

Nickj
17-09-2007, 07:04 PM
Remus do some nice pipes, the stamping on my original say they made them too only shows they make dogs as well!
Got arrows on mine, bit too quiet with mutes in but just enough some people look. Cracking with them out, lots of people look well more jump LOL

Nickj
17-09-2007, 07:08 PM
Oh don't do pillions, suspension needs resetting to cope which is a PIA and you have to ride to their comfort zone.
Sides we're happy talking to ourselves :)

jerry
18-09-2007, 03:52 AM
The heavy clutch you can get used to it build muscle eventually but pain first, good choice of bike, i have older S4

Termis are crap compared to other makes Akrapovic, Leo Vince , Silmoto all better finished and sometimes cheaper I have a set of termis and a set of Silmoto , the quality difference is amazing considering the Termis are more Pricey.

Danny
18-09-2007, 05:14 AM
At last, someone in my neck of the woods......hi

gcwebbyuk
18-09-2007, 12:08 PM
Out of interest - what sort of tank range do you guys get from an S4RS?

Gadget
18-09-2007, 12:10 PM

Less than triple figures.

JerryXt
18-09-2007, 12:37 PM

tank range? This is a motorcycle forum

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/images/LAND_Type-96_Tanks_lg.jpg

oh, the petrol kind! About 60 in town or up to 120 on fast A roads - depends how heavy you are with the throttle. I've had more than 20 miles on the warning light tho, so I think it's set to go off early.

Manda
18-09-2007, 02:18 PM
I got 117 miles out my S4R the other week when it ran out of fuel!

gcwebbyuk
18-09-2007, 02:23 PM
OK next possibly stupid question:

Is it worth even considering keeping the bike on the road with just a cover or is a garage a 100% must?

I kept my Hornet outside on the road with a decent cover on it, but although I loved it - I dont think it was as much as I will love my Ducati!

squiffything
18-09-2007, 02:54 PM
It depends on how much you love the wife / partner and whether you can get her to go under the cover instead of the bike :)

It is a lovely bike and therefor nickable it will also suffer from the rain so you have to make that choice. Take Marcus as an example his lives in his consevatory

Danny
18-09-2007, 04:49 PM
OK next possibly stupid question:

Is it worth even considering keeping the bike on the road with just a cover or is a garage a 100% must?

I kept my Hornet outside on the road with a decent cover on it, but although I loved it - I dont think it was as much as I will love my Ducati!

I guess it also depends very much on what part of Eastbourne your living in...

gcwebbyuk
18-09-2007, 05:41 PM
Upperton area so pretty safe.

Was more worried about the bike getting damaged by the elements really.

barbican
18-09-2007, 06:26 PM
Tank range on mine about 80 to the light comming on wouldn't chance more than 10 to 15 more than that

If you keep it outside the insurance might get a bit steep.

gcwebbyuk
20-09-2007, 05:56 PM
Went back to the motorcycle dealership today to have another look at the S4R i took out on Sat, but they have sold it! They only had a couple of S2R left.

Am gutted they dont do the S4Rs in the titanium, as it think it looks the dogs danglies! Think I will be getting the S4R and saving the 2K in difference between it and the S.

What I did spot while I was there was a Hypermotard, which looked lovely with Marchenisi wheels with red rim tape and an italian flag half way round the tape. Is this an option on the Monster? If so I want it!!!