PDA

View Full Version : Damn speed bumps!

Seb_uk
17-09-2007, 06:49 AM
I let my mate have a go on my bike yesterday (wanted to show off the new termis!) He's quite a big lad, so when he went over a speed bump the downpipe / under exhaust pipe scraped on the road..doh! I guess the extra weight made the already low ground clearance even lower, and now I have a nice dent & scrape on the pipe. Does anyone know if this is likely to rust as I'm not sure whether the pipe is mild or stainless steel. Anything I can paint / spray on that would stop this from happening? (Was thinking ACF 50, but this would just burn off).

Thanks

Seb

Nonnie
17-09-2007, 07:32 AM
Poor you!

My belly pan will scrape if I ride in to the garage, I have to get the front wheel in then stand up and get the rest in! Over speedbumps, I'd be real careful.

However, yesterday, my neighbours wife reversed over his brand new Ninja, only 30 miles on the clock. She hit the sidestand side and over the other way it went. I resisted the urge to say "Got a chance to buy a decent bike now ain't ya" but declined as he looked like he was ready to kill someone.

Can't help with the question you actually posed though which is a bit rubbish of me. Get your friend to pay anyway!

Mand
17-09-2007, 07:34 AM
and don't let the fat bugger ride it again....

Seb_uk
17-09-2007, 07:43 AM
lol! :)

The strange thing was he was only going really slowly too!

Still I guess due to the 695's low ride height & even lower exhaust it was bound to happen one day. Just another battle scar for the bike!

moor-ph0
17-09-2007, 08:28 AM
Hi,
I believe the pipes are low grade stainless on most Ducati's. For reassurance check with a magnet.

Geoff

slob
17-09-2007, 02:27 PM
It is indeed low grade stainless, the dent will rust nicely with the rest of the pipe and you'll hardly notice it. I've scraped the front header on my 620 several times over speedbumps, with a pillion on and no long term ill effects.

Scotty
17-09-2007, 02:50 PM
ahh theres a trick with speed bumps, i think the police perticulary approve of this method

what you have to do is just the bump combined with a bit of gas to launch the front wheel into orbit so the rear can then gently coast over said bump with out fear of scrapeing the exhaust you can then gently place the fron wheel back on the ground at your conveniance

Seb_uk
18-09-2007, 09:09 AM
ahh theres a trick with speed bumps, i think the police perticulary approve of this method

what you have to do is just the bump combined with a bit of gas to launch the front wheel into orbit so the rear can then gently coast over said bump with out fear of scrapeing the exhaust you can then gently place the fron wheel back on the ground at your conveniance

I guess it must be called the speed bump wheelie...! :)