PDA

View Full Version : S4R Rev counter fault

Stafford
15-09-2007, 04:22 PM
Is there anyway of resetting the needle to align with the zero on the rev counter. Just had a look at an 04 S4R that has a working rev counter but it points almost to the 6 o'clock position instead of somewhere near 8 o'clock. As I say it works but you're at about 3500 rpm when the needle gets to zero.

New clocks are £328 from Riders. Any thoughts?

Trent
15-09-2007, 05:29 PM
I had a similar problem with the speedo on my wifes bike. (M620s ie)

I unscrewed the back and took the front off the clocks, then moved the needle back to it's correct position. (Turned the needle fully round till it gets to it's stopper, then "tweaked" it a little bit further.

It seemed to work OK and hasn't happened again since...

Don't forget that the needles drop below 0 when you switch the key off, so don't set it to exactly 0. (You can tweak it back and forth till you get it back to the right position...)

I don't know if there is an automated way of doing it...

Good Luck!

Nickj
15-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Ah the curse of the bum clock system resurfaces again (and again and again) it's a design materials fault. The servo motors for the speedo and tacho lack the durability required for their purpose. The drive sensor tracks are prone to damage
If an individual writes to Ducati they'll maybe offer a discount as it's out of their 'official' warranty period (but not their legal liability period for sale of goods that have proven durability problems which is 6yrs under the sale of goods act) of some kind and off you go. I did start a strand a few months ago http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=24288 asking who'd had or was suffering with this problem; it seemed that no one had suffered this apart from me as no one responded to it.
Why did I make the post, the reason? well if more than a handful had responded from the UK then together with other evidence available from all of the world there's was a good case to make that these units are a pile of cack, well the clock servo part anyway. (From a simple search it looks like reasonable % of these units were replaced under warranty in '01-02).
Getting numbers together that showed a lack of durability would have made a very low cost replacement much more likely..
No one did so get your money out and buy a full price new one, cant say I didn't try.

You might try writing to ducati Technical [technical@ducatiuk.com], they'll maybe offer a discount to an individual but it's still expensive.

Stafford
15-09-2007, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the advice nickj but I havn't bought the bike........... yet???
Interesting idea trent, but I'd like to know it was right before I buy really. If it was mine of course I'd be straight in there having a poke around.
I realise the needle will drop below the 0 but not so far as it points south, so I think something else is at fault.
The owner is going to see if he can get it fixed and get back to me.
Thanks guys
Stafford

Nickj
15-09-2007, 09:21 PM
Must admit the engine says when to change, never was much of a clock chaser

Stafford
15-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Must admit the engine says when to change, never was much of a clock chaser

Indeed very true neither am I, but if I was selling you the bike you'd recognise it as a fault and either expect it fixed or a reduction in cost equal to the fix.

Nickj
16-09-2007, 11:42 AM
Nice little bargaining chip there

spm23
17-09-2007, 07:58 AM
I had a set of clocks replaced under warrenty after 60miles. Turned the bike on one day and the milage was displaying 8000. The current set don't fill me with confidence either. The rev counter needle dances about like Jade Goody on speed, wobbles about all over the place, jumping +-500rpm in an instant. These "new" Ducati clocks are a piece of crap.

sadbiker
17-09-2007, 09:23 AM
As mentioned Stafford, I have had one set changed under warranty, due to speedo showing 180 mph. As for reliability CORs 620 which I suspect is identical other then the face colour has been going for 5 years with no issue. The mileage even goes above 17K.

If he can't get it resolved, then bargain. After all you will only end up with the same problem if you come to sell later on. When you go for that nice new S4RS...

Stafford
17-09-2007, 09:47 AM
Funny you should mention the S4RS sadbiker, as there is a nice one at MotoRapido. (just awaiting a trade in price on mine)

But what was you mentioned about the engine history on the S4R?
Something about it being the same as the S4RS.
Cheers
S

sadbiker
17-09-2007, 11:42 AM
Funny you should mention the S4RS sadbiker, as there is a nice one at MotoRapido. (just awaiting a trade in price on mine)

Cheers
S

The new S4R I believe has the same engine as the S4RS.. Just none of the bling bits...

JerryXt
17-09-2007, 12:48 PM
The new S4R I believe has the same engine as the S4RS.. Just none of the bling bits...

...but you need the bling :D Look out for a nice used one then someone else can pay for the bling bits.

barbican
17-09-2007, 12:57 PM

Cheers
S

Are you buying new or S/H?

sadbiker
17-09-2007, 01:30 PM
...but you need the bling :D Look out for a nice used one then someone else can pay for the bling bits.

Bling as in the brakes and suspension, and the odd CF bit... As in bling I mean nice and shiney and maybe a bit posey... But comes with it so why not.