PDA

View Full Version : Monsters do Brands

JerryXt
13-09-2007, 04:08 PM
Just got back from Brands.

Nim, Mand, Scrapps and I did novices, Monstatom did fast! Weather was perfect, no rain, not much wind, about 21 all day.

The Indy circuit is small - about a mile. The fast guys were lapping in around a minute. The main events are Paddock, fast, very cambered, which leads into a massive dip, then Duids - the hairpin, Graham Hill bend, Cooper straight, some other corners (left, right), then Clearways and back to Paddock.

Coming off Paddock fast is like a rollercoaster. You're thrown down onto the tank as you hit the bottom of the dip, then straight up to Druids. Immediately before the corner, there's a bridge - I was braking as I went under the bridge and turned in very late for the corner - it seemed to work because I got a lot of guys there and had much better exit speed. Clearways has a nasty seam where the surface meets and can upset the bike on the power. I only got onto it once, and never again. It's ok to cross, but choose your moment. One guy highsided out of Clearways - too much power getting onto the pit straight. I was breaking for Paddock at the end of the wall running past the pits. I could have gone later, but the track starts dipping there and you can't see where it's going!

So, the day. Sign-on was easy, no problems. They did ask to see full licence. Queuing for noise testing was tedious - Lucrezia did 'around' the limit at 102-103 at 4500 revs (was supposed to be 5500...) but the guys were happy to pass me...

The usual briefing, then novices first out. Three sighting laps, then back into the pits to ditch the instructors and we were off. Everyone in the group were competant and safe, apart from one guy who tried to take me on the inside at Druids and realised very late that I was taking a very different line to him, and another guy who insisted on throwing himself into an aero tuck on the straights and moving all over the place in the process.

The big I4s were all over me out of Clearways on the first session, but subsequent sessions saw most of them happily behind!

Lunch was good for a track, with excellent company!

Sadly, there were a few fallers in the afternoon - Nim among them. I had just taken a GSXR1K at Druids (:D) and came onto Cooper to see the flags out, a monnie on the deck and Nim sitting bolt upright looking VERY p**sed in the kitty litter! I'm sure she'll be along later, but it sounded like someone took her line on the bend, and she decked her pipes changing her line. She was a bit banged about, but looked ok later.

Another guy in the fast group tried to take monstatom at Druids and went off the corner, clearing the gravel by 7 metres before flying over the tyre wall. Nasty.

The crashes lead to a major telling off from the organisers and one more fall meant that the ambulances had to leave the circuit and we couldn't continue until they returned. I had enough by that point and left for the day. Monstatom had a van and is helping Nim back to the smoke.

Thanks to all there for making a great day, and of course to Nim for organising it! If you need anything Nim, just let me know.

Thanks for reading. Enjoy!

Some pics here - VERY slow...

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/jerryxt/BSP_8008.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/jerryxt/BSP_7839.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/jerryxt/Mand.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/jerryxt/BSP_6007.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/jerryxt/BSP_5879.jpg

Gilps
13-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Sounds like most of you had a good day. Sorry to hear about Nim though. Hope you are alright and that the bikes not too beaten up.
I wanted to come down but was too busy with other stuff. Next time though will make the effort.

Zimbo
13-09-2007, 04:48 PM
Nice report, glad you enjoyed it, sounds like you were getting on ok!
Will wait to hear from Nim, sounds like she's found out why most of us run high level cans on track! Hopefully she's not hurt and the bike OK.

CK & AK
13-09-2007, 05:03 PM
Glad you had a good day out Jerry - 2 TD's in a week!

Must catch up when we get back from hols

C:)

JerryXt
13-09-2007, 05:12 PM
Glad you had a good day out Jerry - 2 TD's in a week!

Must catch up when we get back from hols

indeed! I still owe you chocolate! :chuckle:

CK & AK
13-09-2007, 05:16 PM
indeed! I still owe you chocolate! :chuckle:

and the 'interest' - maybe a bockle of vino.... :chuckle:

Book out the last Sat or Sun in Sept Jerry - and keep your fingers xx'd its going to be dry & maybe we can do a run somewhere :D

JerryXt
13-09-2007, 05:19 PM
and the 'interest' - maybe a bockle of vino.... :chuckle:

Book out the last Sat or Sun in Sept Jerry - and keep your fingers xx'd its going to be dry & maybe we can do a run somewhere :D

cool - I'll look forward to that!

Nim
13-09-2007, 08:28 PM
hey guys, im back from hospital with cracked wrist, concussion and the usual scrapes and bruises.....dammit! i still had a wicked day, bikes pretty trashed though...i think it would have been better if there werent so many jap bikes gettin p**sed off gettin overtakin by monsters, and then cutting us all up, but wouldnt have changed the day for anything..am pretty sore tho!

Soooo...if i can get my bike fixed sans insurance, whose up for Brands at end Oct???

slob
13-09-2007, 08:48 PM
Sorry to hear you've joined the club...
at least monsters are fairly crash proof compared with plastic coated sportsbikes.
I guess I'd better bring you some Arnica and Emergency Essence Cream, I owe you that at least.

Mand
14-09-2007, 06:03 AM
Sorry to hear about your crash Nim and I hope you mend soon.

JerryXt
14-09-2007, 06:56 AM
Nice report, glad you enjoyed it, sounds like you were getting on ok!

Thanks Zimbo, clearly not up to the quality of your race reports yet. I think I need a track bike for next year - one with a fairing!

hey guys, im back from hospital with cracked wrist, concussion and the usual scrapes and bruises.....dammit!
Soooo...if i can get my bike fixed sans insurance, whose up for Brands at end Oct???

That's a shame. If you want any help, let me know.

Some of those I4s in NoVices were getting a pasting from us Monsters on the track! :ukm: Even in the fast group - I think monstatom surprised a lot of guys with 100hp more - that's why one tried to go past him at Druids at 100mph...

I'll probably miss Brands in Oct. I told Mrs Xt that I was at a meeting yesterday. She saw through it tho - txtd me to have a safe track meeting... Not too happy when I got home.

J.P
14-09-2007, 07:35 AM
They're very cunning these wives Jerry !

Nim, really sorry to hear about your second expedition into the gravel & I hope you and the bike get on the mend soon. But I'm pretty sure the insurance won't cover the track right ?

Jerry, thanks for the write up, I'm looking forward to next Monday when I do a bit of a whizz round Brands.
Your exhausts. was the 102 db's with the baffles out ?

barbican
14-09-2007, 07:54 AM
am pretty sore tho!

Bad luck on the crash - get well soon

Good to see you're determined to have another go at the jap I4's so soon!

JerryXt
14-09-2007, 07:58 AM
They're very cunning these wives Jerry !

Nim, really sorry to hear about your second expedition into the gravel & I hope you and the bike get on the mend soon. But I'm pretty sure the insurance won't cover the track right ?

Jerry, thanks for the write up, I'm looking forward to next Monday when I do a bit of a whizz round Brands.
Your exhausts. was the 102 db's with the baffles out ?

er, likely more than 102! If you've got some, I'd put them in. You can always slip them out after testing. I don't have any baffles, but I think I'll have some work done to my pipes over the winter and have some put in to keep it at 120. BTW, your Zards look great - very nice!

Re Druids, go REALLY left, start braking about 10 yards before the bridge (tried braking just under the bridge and thought the next person I would be speaking to would be God!), there's a seam of tarmac, turn in there and go really aggressively for a late apex. The next corner is left and has a marshals hut on the right of the track - aim at the hut before turning in. DON'T look at ANY of the gravel or you'll be in it!

Have you done anything to the suspension? I've dropped my yokes about 10mm to make it turn in more quickly and had no issues at Brands. Easy to turn in and no headshake. Rockingham was terrible until I dropped the front.

Enjoy :spin:

BTW, Mand - sorry I didn't get a chance to say hello properly! I DID wave when we were on the track tho :thumbsup:

J.P
14-09-2007, 08:16 AM
No changes to the suspension for me. My front forks are not adjustable like your RS model. Maybe you could lend me your bike ?

Gilps
14-09-2007, 08:31 AM
No changes to the suspension for me. My front forks are not adjustable like your RS model. Maybe you could lend me your bike ?

Yes they are. You can drop the yokes through the forks real easy. You can also change the preload/sag, and compression and rebound on the S4r.
Make a note of where your settings are at the moment and make small changes from there. At many of the track days there is a suspension guy. He will work with you through the day making adjustments after each session if needed. They usually charge about £40. Getting the suspension set up right is probably the best modification you can make to any bike.

J.P
14-09-2007, 08:53 AM
Well, you learn something every day. Thanks Gilps, I'll see if I can find someone to help me.

scrapps
14-09-2007, 08:58 AM
Glad to hear you are ok nim bet you are sore today :( I had a good day bike went well even got past some of the japs (power on early before start straight ) and like jerry seemed to hold tighter line at druids even with low cans.:woot: paddock hill scary as fu## :Furious: I fell asleep in front of tv total drained by end of day (getting a bit old for trackdays). whens the next one......

CK & AK
14-09-2007, 09:01 AM
Thanks Zimbo, clearly not up to the quality of your race reports yet. I think I need a track bike for next year - one with a fairing!

or why not fit a brace to your present one & add a set of TD fairings? :D

Might know where there is a Ducati trackbike for sale...

JerryXt
14-09-2007, 09:35 AM
or why not fit a brace to your present one & add a set of TD fairings? :D

Might know where there is a Ducati trackbike for sale...

Could really do with something I'd feel happy about binning :) The 749 seemed much easier to hang off. Maybe the seat is the right shape, or the pegs a little higher?

...and Lucrezia is getting too pretty for the track!

It WAS excellent fun nailing the track prepped crotch rockets, er, everywhere! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Nim
14-09-2007, 10:13 AM
It WAS excellent fun nailing the track prepped crotch rockets, er, everywhere! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA![/QUOTE]

Nicely put :), yes that was LOTS of fun!!

Thanks everyone for asking about me, you've all made me smile! :spin: ( i thought a spinning face was appropriate here since thats what my face was doing yesterday)

I have to say, I really had a great day and had been told that i was doing pretty well before trashing my bike....people have been asking me what i thought of the day, and i have to say, the only (other) downer was the amount of club racers in the novice group....some of the guys i was talking too after my crash were apologising for cutting me up constantly, and then told me that 5 of them were club racers and in the novice group cos they were showing mates how it should be done....not ideal!

Quite a lot of us were saying this from the first time out cos its hard to keep your lines when you're getting cut up on both sides by better (or worse?) bikers...BUT i still cant wait to go again!!

Zimbo
14-09-2007, 10:38 AM
I have to say I didn't miss a fairing at all, it's just more to damage! It may help a little on the faster circuits like Snetterton or CC but I don't believe it's necessary at Brands.
If you want a dedicated track bike why not buy an ex-DD race bike? A fully prepped 583 can be had for well under £1500 and it feels loads better trashing the IL4s when you've only got 50bhp! I managed to lap consistantly in the '59s with a couple in the high '58s earlier this year on a fairly standard 600 monster, so it can be done . . . :)

scrapps
14-09-2007, 12:15 PM
Yes Nim i know what u mean the people next to us came out in novice group and they looked like a race team (spare wheels tyre warmers all sorts of kit)
it was not run very well as to many fast people in novice group. it seems they put people in any group so they could fill all the places. :fou:

JerryXt
14-09-2007, 01:31 PM
I have to say I didn't miss a fairing at all, it's just more to damage! It may help a little on the faster circuits like Snetterton or CC but I don't believe it's necessary at Brands.
If you want a dedicated track bike why not buy an ex-DD race bike? A fully prepped 583 can be had for well under £1500 and it feels loads better trashing the IL4s when you've only got 50bhp! I managed to lap consistantly in the '59s with a couple in the high '58s earlier this year on a fairly standard 600 monster, so it can be done . . . :)

well, yes, but you have tallent - I don't, but I do have horsepower :D

Nim
14-09-2007, 03:55 PM
well, yes, but you have tallent - I don't, but I do have horsepower :D

and i can run reallllllly fast....

Manda
17-09-2007, 10:25 AM
Cant wait to do next track day next year, was great to see so many monsters there, Nim, hope your wrist gets better soon. x