PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Dilemma!!

pike
08-09-2007, 06:40 PM
I've recently got hold of a 2001 fuel tank for a monster 900 dark.

is it possible (or has anyone done this!) to modify it to fit a 1999 carb version (my bike). I wanted it to replace my dented original.

Whilst it looks the same initially and will offer up to the bike ok there seems to be a number of major differences:

The filler hole seems massive? with no apparent fixings for the fuel cap?

Inside the tank there is a lot of piping and also some spring clamps which I'm guessing is for an internal fuel filter? The filter on my original is outside underneath the tank.

Finally, there are four metal pipes which come out of the underside of the tank. Is this something to do with the tanks suitability for later fuel injected models? what do they connect to?

Any help/advice would be great as this tank I got for a bargain and is brand new (New Old Stock)

cheers
Pike

CK & AK
09-09-2007, 02:47 PM
I've recently got hold of a 2001 fuel tank for a monster 900 dark.

is it possible (or has anyone done this!) to modify it to fit a 1999 carb version (my bike). I wanted it to replace my dented original.

Anything is possible, but it will need a lot of work...
Best to sell it on & get a carbie tank.
It is possible to put a carbie tank onto an ie (which can be a pain in the **se to do) but doing the reverse is not something I'd like to bother with for the cost of a 2nd hand tank

Whilst it looks the same initially and will offer up to the bike ok there seems to be a number of major differences:
The filler hole seems massive? with no apparent fixings for the fuel cap?

Cos the whole housing is different for the ie ones.
There is an ally housing that sits in there and then the filler cap sits in that - it has to be able to be removed to get at the fuel inection unit - filter & pump

Inside the tank there is a lot of piping and also some spring clamps which I'm guessing is for an internal fuel filter? The filter on my original is outside underneath the tank

You are right - the piping etc is for internal filter & pump for the ie models

Finally, there are four metal pipes which come out of the underside of the tank. Is this something to do with the tanks suitability for later fuel injected models? what do they connect to?

They are 2 x breathers and 1 return fuel line & 1 pump fuel line.
As you ask - they are for the ie models.

Hope this is of help

AK:)

pike
09-09-2007, 06:53 PM
Cheers for that.

Yeah agree, looks like I'll have to stick it on Ebay!

thanks