PDA

View Full Version : the 695 .. what a surprise!

Novice
07-09-2007, 03:20 PM
Went to Moto Rapido for a test ride of the monster the other day. They only had a 695 in demo.

what a surprise! It's a brilliant bike. Not lacking in power at all IMHO.

So why pay more for a S2R/S4R???

slob
07-09-2007, 03:52 PM
Why on earth would it be lacking power!?
My 620 makes 60 odd BHP which was still enough to highside me on track the other month.
The roads are full of twits with 100+ BHP bikes and not a clue how to ride them.
Remember horsepower may sell bikes but it's Torque that wins races.

Gilps
07-09-2007, 04:19 PM
Went to Moto Rapido for a test ride of the monster the other day. They only had a 695 in demo.

what a surprise! It's a brilliant bike. Not lacking in power at all IMHO.

So why pay more for a S2R/S4R???

It's not lacking in power. It's just that the S2r has more, and the S4r even more. It depends on what you want from a bike. Plus the S*R range look a little different. I prefer the looks of the S2R but there's many that would disagree. I've ridden the S2r and 695 back to back and the 800 definitely has more poke and I find it more user friendly for it.
There's nothing wrong with the 695 though if that's what floats your boat. Go buy one now.

J.P
07-09-2007, 04:54 PM
The roads are full of twits with 100+ BHP bikes and not a clue how to ride them.

Thank God you don't mean meeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
:chuckle:

slob
07-09-2007, 05:36 PM

I had no idea you'd traded it in for a 'blade JP.

Novice
09-09-2007, 01:22 PM
It's not lacking in power. It's just that the S2r has more, and the S4r even more. It depends on what you want from a bike. Plus the S*R range look a little different. I prefer the looks of the S2R but there's many that would disagree. I've ridden the S2r and 695 back to back and the 800 definitely has more poke and I find it more user friendly for it.
There's nothing wrong with the 695 though if that's what floats your boat. Go buy one now.

What are the differences between the 695 and the S*R range? Apart from the engine .. all I can spot is the exhaust. I quite like the "old school" exhaust setup on the 695.

Is the riding position different?

JerryXt
09-09-2007, 01:47 PM

...or me :D Seriously, a 600 DD race bike with maybe 60hp set lap times 12 seconds quicker than my RS at Rockingham yesterday. The rider was clearly better than me (my second track day), but still not a race god.

Gilps
09-09-2007, 05:01 PM
What are the differences between the 695 and the S*R range? Apart from the engine .. all I can spot is the exhaust. I quite like the "old school" exhaust setup on the 695.

Is the riding position different?

The S*R's have a single sided swing arm, twin side mounted pipes, different bars. But other than that they are very similar.

CK & AK
09-09-2007, 06:16 PM
...or me :D Seriously, a 600 DD race bike with maybe 60hp set lap times 12 seconds quicker than my RS at Rockingham yesterday. The rider was clearly better than me (my second track day), but still not a race god.

A 51.8 hp 583 carbie Jerry, that was knocking 10 seconds off your time (with only a mechanic on board:p ).
The 65hp 620 was knocking even more off - with a old mate of mine that hasnt ridden a twin (ever) and hasnt done any TD's for 4 years - and never at Rocky! :eek:

Still - good to see you & Kato there yesterday mate - your face was one big grin! :D

C :)

JerryXt
10-09-2007, 05:46 AM
A 51.8 hp 583 carbie Jerry, that was knocking 10 seconds off your time (with only a mechanic on board:p ).
The 65hp 620 was knocking even more off - with a old mate of mine that hasnt ridden a twin (ever) and hasnt done any TD's for 4 years - and never at Rocky! :eek:

Still - good to see you & Kato there yesterday mate - your face was one big grin! :D

C :)

YOU CALLING ME FAT! LOL :D I've always said that a decent rider on a lower powered bike will beat a duffer on a high powered one!

CK & AK
10-09-2007, 05:57 AM
You aint a fat duffer Jerry :p - you were really giving that bike some - particularly when you had had the adjustments made on the front

C:)

Chaos Inc.
10-09-2007, 07:12 AM
Remember horsepower may sell bikes but it's Torque that wins races.

I always thought coming first is what won races.?

Mrs Soup
10-09-2007, 11:29 AM
I went to buy a 620/695 and came away with an S2R because I would have spent the difference on high level pipes, lowering the bike, and various other bits of bling that the S2R already had, plus I got the organic/orgasmic single sided swingarm, fatter back tyre and more power.

Seb_uk
10-09-2007, 12:08 PM
I went to buy a 620/695 and came away with an S2R because I would have spent the difference on high level pipes, lowering the bike, and various other bits of bling that the S2R already had, plus I got the organic/orgasmic single sided swingarm, fatter back tyre and more power.

I was in a similar position when I bought my 695 - by the time I'd paid extra for the termis, fly screen & centre stand I could have had the S2R. I do like both bikes, but one thing to bear in mind is the S2R is two or three insurance groups higher than the 695 so will cost more to insure. Also I would imagine that the stacked termi's for S2R probably cost more than the 695 (should you go for them).

Gilps
10-09-2007, 12:24 PM
[QUOTE=Sebuk;223499but one thing to bear in mind is the S2R is two or three insurance groups higher than the 695 so will cost more to insure. Also I would imagine that the stacked termi's for S2R probably cost more than the 695 (should you go for them).[/QUOTE]

The insurance was never an issue for me coz at my age it's so cheap anyway. The Termis should not cost more but I think that they actually do though. The list price for the Termis race cans with ECU and airfilter is over £900 I think. I've seen the 620 ones going for much less. I paid £300 for mine on here though and were perfect condition.

dix
10-09-2007, 04:54 PM
i bought a 695 and i love it i could of had a s2r if i wanted and have probally spent the same as a s2r costs

cause i had a few bits
front screen,gel seat,termis low level,rear cowl

the 695 has enough grunt for me at the moment

my m8 is getting an s2r saturday

each to there own

slob
10-09-2007, 05:52 PM
I always thought coming first is what won races.?

PMSL, yeah that too, torque helps though.

Mr Cake
16-09-2007, 01:49 PM
The roads are full of twits with 100+ BHP bikes
Certainly are :thumbsup:

Dave