PDA

View Full Version : Flaky paint disease - advice please

JerryXt
02-09-2007, 05:33 PM
Disaster (ok - minor disaster) - I've just finished cleaning the bike and I've noticed that the engine paint has started to flake at the bottom of the sump. Given that this bike is a year old, just passed 2000 miles and has only seen water when it comes on a brush, this is, er, unexpected.

Short of taking the engine out and having it re-painted, what should I do? Will Ducati honour this under the warranty? How long IS the warranty?

Hope you had a good weekend.

Thanks in advance!

slob
02-09-2007, 05:38 PM
Unless I'm mistaken warranty is 2 years.
If someone try to tell you it's not covered shout and scream and threaten to sue until you get it sorted.

YoungDucS4R
02-09-2007, 05:48 PM
Get a warranty claim in straight away!! It runs for two years from new.

I had exact same problem with my S4R and persued a successful claim when the bike was one year old, mainly on the strength of photo's I took and sent them as I lived 200 miles from the dealer I bought it from new.

Ducati agreed to replace the water pump cover and clutch housing but stressed it was a gesture of goodwill rather than warranty issue, probably to avoid admitting inferior product. They blamed the environment that us Brits use our bikes in for the cause of flaking paint!!

I too have an '06 S4Rs now and am keeping a good eye out for similar flaking, but have not found any yet. I think the coating on the newer Tesi engine is of a better quality.

G.

JerryXt
02-09-2007, 06:12 PM
excellent - thanks guys. I'll get on to my friendly Ducati authorised dealer tomorrow. Good excuse for a spin :D

farl
04-09-2007, 02:22 PM
Same problem. It's a 2 week job so mine's going in after the sun goes! The dealer said they had another 1 do to too.

JerryXt
04-09-2007, 03:03 PM
2 weeks! Bugger! I just spoke to Pete at PvTwins and although he wanted to see it, he didn't give me any hassle - expected, but good all the same.

banditloon
04-09-2007, 05:25 PM
Oh what I would give to have some paint left on my engine to flake.....

;)

Hope you get it sorted without any hassle Jerry :thumbsup: