PDA

View Full Version : Grass roots racing........

Shandy
31-08-2007, 05:59 PM
Ive been thinking of getting into some grass roots racing, not keen on DD or any type of bike racing really, i've been toying with giving this a go,

http://www.blmra.co.uk/

Probably group 3 if i go for it, has anyone on here had a go at such stupidity and is it as much fun as it looks???

Cheers,

Shandy

Scotty
31-08-2007, 06:24 PM
looks tireing, and i bet it still isnt cheap however i think the whole lunacy of the idea proberly makes it a bit more social

id be tempted

i remember seeing this on country file once, do you run a team rather than 12 hours solo ?

SazzaG
31-08-2007, 06:39 PM
I think it's pretty cheap to take part, but if you want to win you probably need a bit of money. The club was originally set up because a bunch of blokes in Wisborough Green wanted to get into motorsport, but didn't have much money.

The 12 hour race takes place just down the road from us. It used to be 24 hours! You can run it as a team, grand prix style. Worth going to watch, especially if it's a bit wet!

JR
31-08-2007, 06:46 PM
I have got a 30cc (I think) Briggs and Stratton lawn mower engine rotting away in my garden if you want to build something - yours for free!

scrumpster
31-08-2007, 08:34 PM
Wouldn't tractor racing be more up your street? ;)

Nickj
01-09-2007, 12:00 AM
Funnily enough I know a few people who do or used do this kind of racing. This is really serious stuff, you get people like Derek Bell (Yep, that one) go play from time to time, I was told once that Derek Warick also turned up at one event where some deeply aggressive racing went on between the two. Lucky the blades were off apparently!!
Derek B and Justin are always a bit on the competitive side, they're quite handy on dirt bikes too and always came to an annual stubble race the Red Lion Racers used to stage in Portsmouth.

gary tompkins
01-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Sounds like a giggle - just promise me three things

1. You won't paint the mower yellow

2. You make sure it's properly tied down to the trailer

3. You tell us know when/where you race so we can...

A/ cheer you on *

B/ take the p1ss *

delete as applicable*

;)

Shandy
04-09-2007, 05:36 AM
Sounds like a giggle - just promise me three things

1. You won't paint the mower yellow

2. You make sure it's properly tied down to the trailer

3. You tell us know when/where you race so we can...

A/ cheer you on *

B/ take the p1ss *

delete as applicable*

;)

1. Sorry mate it has to be yellow!!!!!
2. Will do, it might be on the roof rack yet :eek:
3. Both will be applicable and yes i will let everyone know if i do get into it :flag:

squiffything
04-09-2007, 05:51 AM
If you want to get into racing cheaply then this could be right up your street http://www.2cvracing.org.uk/ go on you know you want to :)

Nickj
04-09-2007, 02:33 PM
Plenty of scope for mods there, ideal for them with a monster mind set
http://www.ptsdevelopments.com/customracingbelglgpic6.htm IMHO needs some conspicuous carbon fibre LOL
Saw some french dune racing with 2CVs and one or two 4WD mud pluggers in my landie days