PDA

View Full Version : Tyre recommendations please???

tctopcat
29-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Just had my 750 back from MOT... got an advisory on tyres though so need to start shopping...

The store did recommend fitting Michelin Sport Power (I think) - they did say it was dual compound or something... and came in at about 260quid fitted for a pair.

I don't really use her for commuting, mostly weekend fun... also looking to fit in a couple of track sessions next season so want a decent tyre that can cope.

Can anyone recommend a good tyre for a 750 and/or place to buy them?

Cheers, Tom :ukm:

Chappers
29-08-2007, 12:05 PM
See if one of the DD racers have some, I just bought mine off Gilps for £50 :thumbsup:

DD peeps: Zimbo, Harriebird, Tonio600, Domski23 etc

JerryXt
29-08-2007, 01:06 PM
diablos are very popular - I've still got the standard pilots on but when they're knackered, I'll swap them for diablos (they're great on my xt so they should be ok on the monnie too).

That's not because I think the diablos will be noticably better in any way, just because I'd like to see if there is a difference. Remember, tyres are a personal choice and people can only give you their opinion, however expert that may be.

Also, worth bearing in mind that road use is VERY different to track. Mine were all bobbly after the track day but I'd be horrified if they ever got that way on the road.

katana
29-08-2007, 01:18 PM
I quite like conti road attacks. But currently have some ex dd race one on the monnie. Cos they were cheap.

banditloon
29-08-2007, 01:46 PM
Diablos on my 900 at the moment. She ate her way through a set of Diablo Corsas though at around 4000 miles.

My mate has just got some nice Corsa IIIs. Triple compound.. Lovely!! Can't justify putting them on the Monster, square tyres within a week of commuting :thumbsdown:

Guzzirider
29-08-2007, 03:35 PM
If you want a good balance between longevity and grip try the new Bridgestone BT021s- I've done 4000 miles on the set fitted to my Guzzi including a European tour and a track day, and they still have plenty of tread left. Not quite as grippy as the Diablo Corsas I used to run, but last twice as long and don't overheat on the track like the old BT020s used to.

Shauns4
29-08-2007, 04:29 PM
Michelin Pilot Road 2 (dual compound), best tyre I have tried and still going strong at 3500 miles, will easily last 5000 miles and it performs but not really a track tyre.

Big Daft Lad
29-08-2007, 05:04 PM
I quite like conti road attacks.

I'll second that, great feel wet or dry and they last. Cheap too!

tctopcat
30-08-2007, 08:34 AM
Thanks for all the advice... before I was a bit confused now I'm comepletly confused :)

I appreciate what you say Jerryxt about personal preference... seems the pilot road 2 could be a good choice for me... or the bridgestone BT021 (does anyone know if these are alos dual compound?) - my mate just had a set fitted to his 748 and after a day at snetterton is well chuffed with them.

Chappers - How do I find out if any DD racers are selling used tyres?

Cheers, TOm

Chappers
30-08-2007, 09:33 AM
Chappers - How do I find out if any DD racers are selling used tyres?

Cheers, TOm

PM the usernames I mentioned above and I'll also ask around at Snetterton for you this weekend (DD Races) :thumbsup:

tctopcat
30-08-2007, 10:04 AM
Cheers Chappers - I did see a rear tyre being offered on here for free!! a few days back that could hav ebeen collected at snetterton this weekend - I would have snapped it up but am at the BTCC at knockhill this weekend so couldn't get there (Snetterton's only a 45 min drive for me).

I'll PM the names as you suggest... cheers, Tom

Chappers
30-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Cheers Chappers - I did see a rear tyre being offered on here for free!!
I'll PM the names as you suggest... cheers, Tom

That was my tyre but Blah Blah should of received it in the post by now :mand:

I too was meant to be at the BTCC but looking after the DOH DD Team takes priority now, so only managed to make BTCC at Donington this year and it was very very wet :grump:

You going World Renault Series @ Donington on 8-9th Sept? It's free :eyepopping: I'll be there with all the car club.

tctopcat
30-08-2007, 01:57 PM
Thanks Chappers.. goin to Knockhill for work thing so would prefer to go to snetterton... BTCC doesn't do much for me really not enough spills... unless of course you get some the weather you had at donnington :)

Doubt I'll be at the Renault series but thanks for the tip off re free entry... will see what else is on that weekend...

CK & AK
30-08-2007, 01:58 PM
tctopcat - you have reply to your PM :)

Can bring to Snett this weekend for you if wanted - maybe you could get a mate to collect for you?

jerry
31-08-2007, 02:21 PM
I fitted Metzler MEZ4 to my M750 they are fantastic

emmalou
31-08-2007, 04:29 PM
Hello

I got talked into a set of bridgestones, from AMS in paignton
A M S Tyres 233 Torquay Road Paignton, TQ3 2HW, 01803 666555

Ask to speak to any of the guys who know stuff about bikes.

Im new to riding and they are good for confidence and stickability

My boyfreind says you can go really fast on them round corners
They sold him tyres for his silly big BMW tractor bike but he keeps sneaking out on mine because its better
:Furious: DAMMIT:Furious:
sport tourer on the back and sport on the front BT somthing or others - all the guys at ams ride bikes so they know about diablos and other stuff and the bridgestones seem like the best at the moment

tctopcat
03-09-2007, 06:55 PM
cheers jerry and emmalou... i have got metzelers at the moment and they do the job though not really got much to compare them to... CK&AK have kindly offered me a set from their bike for a good price but need to get to rockingham or cadwell over next couple of weeks if i'm gonna get them.

Don't suppose anyone is making a trip form Norfolk way to either of the above meets? There's a big beer in it

Zimbo
03-09-2007, 07:37 PM
cheers jerry and emmalou... i have got metzelers at the moment and they do the job though not really got much to compare them to... CK&AK have kindly offered me a set from their bike for a good price but need to get to rockingham or cadwell over next couple of weeks if i'm gonna get them.

Don't suppose anyone is making a trip form Norfolk way to either of the above meets? There's a big beer in it

From Norfolk?? That's a shame, the entire DD circus (CK/AK and tyres included) has been camped out at Snetterton all weekend!

Chappers
04-09-2007, 07:31 AM

You could possibly PM harriebird and ask nicely if she'll bring back in her van to Colchester where she lives - that's not far from you to go and collect is it?

tctopcat
05-09-2007, 01:48 PM
All sorted... a mate is collecting a set of diablos from CK & AK at rocky on saturday...

At least they'll be no chicken strips on these ones so i'll look like a proper hardcore ducatisti! or is that cheating?!?! :look:

Cheers for your advice... Tom:ukm: