PDA

View Full Version : Disposing of old helmets

rudders
29-08-2007, 08:11 AM
I've two helmets that are past their best...

One is 7 years old, belongs to my girlfriend and has been used less about half a dozen times as a pillion.

The other is my regular helmet for 5 years that I've now replaced.

What's the best way to dispose of them? Is it OK to just throw them out with the rubbish? Can they be put to better use?

JerryXt
29-08-2007, 08:41 AM
I take the view that I only have one head and I need it - bin old helmets. I let my kids smash them with hammers so that the local kids don't re-cycle them.

Or, you could drill holes in it and make it into an urban hanging basket...

katana
29-08-2007, 08:57 AM
Or give it to the ambulance service to practice removing them/cutting them off?

Scotty
29-08-2007, 09:02 AM
i just recently slung two old helmats in the bin , at arms length, they were very mouldy. eurgh

Chappers
29-08-2007, 09:07 AM
I sold an old helmet on Ebay clearly advertised as 'damaged/dropped' and some arty person bought it for £20 for a project and then I sold my Ducati Corse helmet on there too clearly advertised as 'damaged/dropped' (I'm a clumsy person alright :hissy: ) and some Ducati enthusiast bought it for £30 to put in a cabinet with all his other Ducati Corse stuff - otherwise smash it to bits and put in the bin or remove the visors/inner padding and flog them on Ebay if you wanna get some pennies :)

Nickj
29-08-2007, 09:25 AM
I used to smash them up with a big woodsmans axe, it was very satisfying if suprisingly difficult!
I had thought of chopping one up to leave a thin sliver and frame it, I do get some odd ideas LOL

Kill them, they've moulded to your head and useless to anyone else

kaysee
29-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Use them as hanging baskets in the garden.

banditloon
29-08-2007, 01:48 PM
Cut the straps out, then smash them! Good for stress relief :D

Rockhopper
02-09-2007, 09:00 AM
Best bet as has already been mentioned is to give them to St John Ambulance or similar so they can practice their removal techniques.

spacemonkey
04-09-2007, 06:37 AM
In the Good Ole Days you could take them down the gun club for some redneck fun... Ever seen what a 44mag does to a helmet?