PDA

View Full Version : Washing My Monster

toogoodlookin
28-08-2007, 05:43 PM
Hi all

This might sound like a very silly question and forgive me as im a complete newbie to motorcycling, wanted to know if anyone had any advice on products and procedures to keep my monster looking like it just rolled out of the show room.

Thanking you in advance

slob
28-08-2007, 05:51 PM
...by hand, avoid the jetwash at all costs.

Nickj
28-08-2007, 06:04 PM
I pressure wash mine, but don't use the "WHOOOOSH OMG the paints coming off" mode expect on particularly stubborn sticky crud, mind I do pull the all connectors afterwards to keep them nice and lubed.
Experience says as long as the connectors are good you can virtually run the motor underwater with no problems!!
For the best way to retain a showroom condition totally blemish free I'd suggest a reinforced shelf indoors and mount the bike as a piece of art :biggrin:

Scotty
28-08-2007, 06:22 PM
ride it a bit afterwards to dry it out

paulyh
28-08-2007, 06:38 PM
I use Autoglym motorcycle cleaner, just spray it on, leave for a minute, give it a scrub then rinse off. After drying what I can with a leather i then give it a real good spray with a water displacer such as WD40 or similar, this drives out any moisture from the bits you can't reach (make sure you avoid the brakes though!!!):woot:

I agree with Rob, avoid the pressure washer if you can, it will put water where you don't want such as in to headstock bearings where all you want is grease!:(

gary tompkins
28-08-2007, 07:04 PM
Muck-off or Gunk + assortment of brushes + bucket + warm soapy water & hose pipe... provided ban isn't in force.

Oh and plenty of elbow grease - not available in tins unfortunately ;)

As others have said steer clear of mega-pressure washers...

... unless you have a fetish for replacing bearings, or like watching your engine/frame/wheels paint vanish in front of your eyes :look:

Nickj
28-08-2007, 07:16 PM
HAHAHAHAHA Elbow grease in tins is available from this errrrr emporium of goodies
http://search.bedroompleasures.co.uk/search.aspx?oscsid=0000e0bdd8faae6bc897294c2944021 e&keywords=elbow+grease&x=0&y=0

JerryXt
28-08-2007, 07:43 PM
Muck-off - great stuff for crud. Oddly, I get mine from my bicycle shop, but I would never use it on one of my bikes because it's supposed to be bad for paint and carbon. Use on wheels and suspension but wash off immediately.

Autoglym for everything else and the polish everywhere painted including the wheels - brake dust just washes off. There's some kind of light oil for the engine and other metalic parts - brake disks excluded :D

Headhunter
28-08-2007, 07:59 PM
Autoglym wash and polish + autosol for metal parts. However, one day ridden/parked in Central London and she's back to her dirty ol' self.

bod
28-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Fairy lip squid in hot water (but then I don't polish mine) Oh and dont wash it while it's hot you get stains!

slob
28-08-2007, 09:09 PM
Fairy lip squid in hot water (but then I don't polish mine) Oh and dont wash it while it's hot you get stains!

NEVER USE WASHING UP LIQUID!!!

Most brands use salt as a thickener, it will promote corrosion like nobody's business.

...you can always tell the car drivers who save a 25p a year by using in their wash bottles... rusting bonnets!

Half Man Half Mole
29-08-2007, 04:53 AM
This site may be of help.

http://www.ducatisuite.com/detailing.html

Mike

Guzzirider
29-08-2007, 05:54 AM
I'm a muck off fan too. First I hose the bike down to wash off all the loose dirt and grit. Then I spray muck off all over, then leave it to soak while I make a cup of tea. You can actually see the grime breaking down and running off while the muck off does its job. Then out with the bucket and sponge to give it all a thorough wash. I use autoglym wheel cleaner for brake calipers and wheels- strong stuff so make sure you rinse it off properly and don't leave it on there for ages. When its dry, I use autoglym polish on the paintwork, buffed up nicely, and autosol metal polish on the shiny bits. If I'm really keen I'll use armour all on the plasticky and rubber bits, remembering to give the seat a good wipe or it will be as slippery as an eel in KY!

JerryXt
29-08-2007, 08:22 AM
...remembering to give the seat a good wipe or it will be as slippery as an eel in KY!

hahahahah - like when I applied teflon waterproofng to my gortex trousers and fell off just trying to sit on the bike!!!!

Scotty
29-08-2007, 09:00 AM
i wouldn't use muck off on anything annodised

bod
29-08-2007, 08:25 PM
NEVER USE WASHING UP LIQUID!!!

Most brands use salt as a thickener, it will promote corrosion like nobody's business.

...you can always tell the car drivers who save a 25p a year by using in their wash bottles... rusting bonnets!

Make's my bike sparkle though and is kind to the hands Don't use a cheaper brand of washing up liquid though, as mine manages to wash a futher 30 bikes than other brands before it runs out:)

In jest:) Actually I use Vim and a hard scourer pad,gets rid of all thouse flies!

banditloon
30-08-2007, 09:22 AM
Muc Off.. Evil stuff, eats anything plastic!! Make sure you don't use it on headlights, clocks and exhausts. It'll eat the plastic and just leave everything looking crap!

Cleaning stuff in my garage, Muc Off. Some car wash soapy stuff, couple of sponges, bucket, Muc Off brushes. Autosol polish, T-Cut, Peek Polish, Blue Job polish... (something going on with a polishing fetish.. Maybe I should buy a Hardly Dangerous...) Glass cleaner, WD40 (good for getting chain lube off of the swing arm!), lots of elbow grease and GT85 to clean the carbon fibre bits. Oh and some Pledge for that Rosso Corse polished bike look ;) Sorted!!

And yes, sometimes I do have a clean and shiney bike..

barbican
30-08-2007, 09:33 AM
GT85 to clean the carbon fibre bits. ..

Whats GT85 - and why do I need it for CF? Ive just been using normal stuff and polish :look:

toogoodlookin
30-08-2007, 09:47 AM
Thanks guys i really appreciate your advice,

Just trying to decide whever i should invest in a disc lock etc or just stick to my big chain, alarm and immbo.

banditloon
30-08-2007, 10:23 AM
Thanks guys i really appreciate your advice,

Just trying to decide whever i should invest in a disc lock etc or just stick to my big chain, alarm and immbo.

All of the above... The more deterrents the better :thumbsup:

banditloon
30-08-2007, 10:24 AM
Whats GT85 - and why do I need it for CF? Ive just been using normal stuff and polish :look:

GT85 is like WD40 but in a red tin. I just get a better clean look from GT85 than from Pledge :chuckle:

squiffything
30-08-2007, 11:49 AM
Just your common old ordinary Boot Polish but it does limit you to a black bike (I don't think Ducati did a brown one) but then again is there any other colour?........

OK I jest please do not use boot polish to clean your bike just use it on your boots. I use the car shampoo by Autoglym and their tar remover stuff for stubborn bits. It comes up lovely and shiny everytime :)

banditloon
30-08-2007, 11:57 AM
Just your common old ordinary Boot Polish but it does limit you to a black bike (I don't think Ducati did a brown one) but then again is there any other colour?........

Cherry red polish for my DMs ;) :chuckle:

russ77
30-08-2007, 09:11 PM
I spent two quid on a gallon of car shampoo about three years ago. It's still going strong, since I religiously never wash my car. I wash the bike twice a year, whether it needs it or not.

Rinse thoroughly to get rid of any salt in the winter, chamois off the water on the painted bits, get a belly pan to hide the really grubby areas. Out of sight, out of mind. Get a Scottoiler so you never have to worry about lubing or adjusting the chain but surrender yourself to having a perpetually dirty rear wheel.

Water on hot parts is not such a good idea, detergents and waxes on hot parts are a really bad idea. The fizzing is cool though.

I find that if you go for a ride in August in the UK, it's bound to rain. Leave the cover off the bike for a couple of hours when you get home and nature's jetwash works its magic.

DevilBoy
31-08-2007, 10:16 AM
Wicked article here that tells you how to get a valet like clean :

http://www.visordown.com/articles/view/give_your_motorcycle_the_professional_valet_touch/1412.html

I wouldn't spend the recommended £70 on products though! :fou:

Zimbo
31-08-2007, 10:37 AM
One point worth considering, car shampoos often contain some wax type substance, which is being applied to your brake discs and pads when you use it to wash your bike. Specific motorcycle shampoos don't, and are therefore preferable.

scrumpster
31-08-2007, 11:31 AM
I always use Muc Off and never had any probs with any plastics or metals!!

banditloon
31-08-2007, 11:49 AM
I always use Muc Off and never had any probs with any plastics or metals!!

I think it's mainly an Aprilia problem ;) Especially RSV Factory things :chuckle: That get covered in oil from my Monster :D

stoppit&tidyup
31-08-2007, 12:52 PM
keep water away from the clocks and anything electrical, my bike has been very ill since it got wet. (maybe i shouldn't have chucked a bucket of water over it)