PDA

View Full Version : Intermittant starting problem

chas
27-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Hi All

My Monsters playing up Every now and again it will not start ignition lights come on, fuel pump kicks in it makes all the right noises it turns over on the starter but does not start it pops and seemes to bang at but thats all. if i turn ignition off and on a couple of times then try again it starts first time and runs perfectly.

If its the relays that are suspect please can someone tell me why and where to get them

Cheers all I'll Get the beers
:fou:

Scotty
27-08-2007, 07:13 PM
nope because it actually turns over , perhaps new plugs

Scotty
27-08-2007, 07:29 PM
in fact since it starts 2nd go, its maybe just the way you press the button, tr a little less fast idel perhaps ?

chas
27-08-2007, 08:18 PM
no its not me certainly something is wrong with the bike

Scotty
27-08-2007, 08:25 PM
errm is it a vaccume fuel tap ? maybe the tube is perished for that ?

but then i guess your looking at electrical jigery pokery ooh err

chas
27-08-2007, 08:39 PM
Don't know I'll have to have a look which pipe would that be anyway , I bet its one of them under the tank

Chas

gary tompkins
27-08-2007, 10:06 PM
errm is it a vaccume fuel tap ? maybe the tube is perished for that ?

but then i guess your looking at electrical jigery pokery ooh err

Scotty - its an 900ie judging by Chas's log-on, so won't have a fuel tap just like your S4 because EFI bikes don't need one.

Difficult one to call as it's an intermittant fault

Could be a lot of things - such as simple faults like loose/broken wires & connections, or bad earths & switches. Or more serious problems like a dodgy relay, ECU, CDI trigger or coil.

One thing to check is the engine temp sensor fitted to the front pot's cam cover. These have a habit of going AWOL on 900ie's (my own did) causing a poor signal to the ECU. They fool the ECU into reading the engine's either cold or hot, resulting in a rich or very weak mixture.

chas
28-08-2007, 05:16 PM
Thanks Gary

Your correct it is a 900ie and runs perfectly most of the time just this odd starting problem it's done it about six time now so somethings breaking down, is there anyway to check things like the coil,sensers,ecu, relays etc at home, sounds like a dealers job

Chas

PS if someone knows the resistance at a given temperature for the temp senser i could check it with a multimeter

bod
28-08-2007, 05:32 PM
Suspect it would be a NTC resistor ie as temperature drops resistance will increase measure it a a given point(when cold) then check again when the fault occurs and compare readings.

gary tompkins
28-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Thanks Gary

Your correct it is a 900ie and runs perfectly most of the time just this odd starting problem it's done it about six time now so somethings breaking down, is there anyway to check things like the coil,sensers,ecu, relays etc at home, sounds like a dealers job

Chas

PS if someone knows the resistance at a given temperature for the temp senser i could check it with a multimeter

You can check it out (multi meter) but I've no idea of values. FWIW Dave Wood Racing sussed my problem, but when he metered my duff sensor it checked out ok. The motor was a pig to start & running so rich it fouled plugs every few miles, but as soon as he swapped out temp sensor for a new one it ran fine - go figure? :scratch:

BTW - it makes sense to check all the obvious things are ok, such as plugs, HT leads/caps and general state of tune of motor (shims etc..) before chasing the fault elsewhere, or throwing money at it based on pure guesswork.

russ77
30-08-2007, 09:44 PM
Could also be the immobiliser if you've got one. A rental van I had broke down on the M4 at one in the morning coming home from a gig in Reading a couple of years back.

The hire company spoke to us the next day and told us the immobiliser was at fault. The motor turned over, but there was no spark. The van was only a few hundred miles old. Dealer job for the bike probably, unless you're a real whizz with the multimeter and have all the relevant values to hand.

moor-ph0
31-08-2007, 08:21 AM
Hi,
Had the same problem with my M1000. In the end it was the stator that was faulty. For reference the oil temperature sensor mounted on the horizontal cylinder rocker cover should read about 4.6kohms when cold, ie measure in the morning if she's been sitting all night.

http://www.electrosport.com/Images/fault_finding.pdf
Here's a good reference for checking the parts in the charging cct.

Geoff

Petorius
31-08-2007, 10:40 AM
My S4 did this the other evening, never happened before. Turned over and popped a few times then started and ran fine. I put it down to water getting in somewhere as i had washed it the night before.

Kazza
01-09-2007, 08:10 AM
Hi All

My Monsters playing up Every now and again it will not start ignition lights come on, fuel pump kicks in it makes all the right noises it turns over on the starter but does not start it pops and seemes to bang at but thats all. if i turn ignition off and on a couple of times then try again it starts first time and runs perfectly.

If its the relays that are suspect please can someone tell me why and where to get them

Cheers all I'll Get the beers
:fou:

I had exactly the same on my S4R. Got stuck out in the middle of nowhere and was advised by a dealer to swap the relays over to see what happened. When I did, it wouldn't turn over at all. Swapped them back, got the bike started eventually - rode to Italia in Lincoln and got two new relays (which they didn't charge me for). No problem since.