PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Tacho or Speedo failure

Nickj
27-08-2007, 12:47 PM
How many people with 2001 onwards IE series have had their tacho's become erratic or fail totally?
Typical scenario will be the dial initially sweeping, maybe with some twitches or not performing a full sweep of the face. It may also talk to itself when the ignition is turned off. In 'use' it might occasionally work, the indicated revs might fall at a relatively steady speed or it might just do nothing. I'd be interested to know if yours has failed, and if there was any condensation in the clock units at any time before it failed, as ammo to use.

Why? Mine has given up and I'm looking for a fix.
My first try was a mail to Ducati Italy who suggest that it's Ducati UK's problem and they should be able to supply 'all parts' for this series of bike. Ducati UK suggest buying new clocks HA!! I think not sunshine, not for a component that should have a serviceable lifetime that matches the machine or a reasonable proportion thereof and under 6 years is nothing like anyone would consider 'reasonable'.
A few tests leads me to the conclusion that it's the driver motor assembly that's failed rather than a component on the circuit board proper. Incidentally the same motor drive is used for the speedo side so one should fix all.

Currently I'm asking Magneti who made the clocks entrails for a part or source of parts.

Nickj
27-08-2007, 01:52 PM
Just mailed Magneti and Cc'd in Ducati SPA and Ducati UK.
As I'm feeling a bit fiesty today :nash: (I might be being overly aggressive on this) I threw in:

"Ducati are very happy to sell a new complete unit but are obviously unable to source down to the electronics component level. Further they are unlikely to agree (due to cost implications) with myself and other owners that this fault in the tachometer (speedometer or both in some cases) which I would expect to be a unit that is designed to last for the machines service lifetime or a reasonable proportion thereof to be considered being of acceptable merchantable quality in terms of it’s durability (1). I do not feel that under 6 years, and under 400 hours runtime is what could be considered a reasonable service lifetime."

(1) Refers to the sales of goods act 1979 section 14 paragraph 4 item 4 regarding durability of goods.

Kinda fun one that. If a few people have had these clocks fail then...
If Ducati say it's of merchantable quality and durability then they could be construed as saying they don't expect their bikes to last more than a few years. If they say it is then if enough people (sales were about 500 all models and I think about 200ish IE's in UK for 2001) can demonstrate it patently isn't then it wasn't of merchantable quality to start with and then it could be up to them to fix.