PDA

View Full Version : First ride on 749s

Nim
16-08-2007, 10:01 PM
So...i thought it might be a plan to actually have a go on one of the bikes i am so hung up on buying....and for all of your information...it was, for want of a better word, weird.

I only had 20 mins on it around country roads and around a small town... fairings and dry clutch very unusual for me....as was the fact that i was on tip toes (just!) so didnt feel quite so stable when coming to a stop on gravelly coutry roads with potholes/cambers etc

it was a 2004 749s....for some reason better known to someone else, i am hoping a 2005 or 2006 may be slightly different. Only one way to find out!

oh yeah, handle bars too far away....at least on later model i should be able to do some adjusting to make that better?!?

Nickj
16-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Hey Nim course it's different LOL whatcha expect, but you'll adapt fast and be fast (probly much faster than you're expecting!!)
Bars probably feel too far away, too much monstering, your arms'll stretch out in a few days, don't imagine your legs will grow tho!!
It'll be fine and you'll love it

slob
17-08-2007, 04:42 AM
How long will your driving license last?

Gilps
17-08-2007, 04:56 AM
It's the mono version that has the adjustable seat, forwards and backwards. The Biposto doesn't.
The bars being far away, well it's a sportsbike, that's how they are. You need to learn to let the tank take your weight.
It's very different to a Monster. It's taken me a while to get used to my 998, still not there yet really but I'm loving it more each time I ride it.
The downside to sportsbikes for shorties like us is that even though they may have a low seat height and narrow seat, the fact that you are pulled forwards over the tank means that your bum comes up and your legs come with it, hence the tiptoes. I slide off either side of the seat at lights etc.
You really need to go ride the Gixxer now to get a real comparison.

Chappers
17-08-2007, 07:10 AM
If you take the new Gixxer out you'll find your feet reach the floor perfect as the newer one has a narrower seat which means shorties like me and you can get our feet down :mand:

JerryXt
17-08-2007, 07:34 AM
Brett at my pushers told me that a lot of guys fit clip-ons which raise the bars by half an inch and makes the bike more comfortable.

Nim
17-08-2007, 08:45 AM
Ok...thanks guys :)

im going to try and get out on the gixxer, but the 749 is just SOOOOOO PRETTY. of course, its not all about that...hang on, im on a ducati monster site, of course its all about that ! well, some of it ...:)

Shandy
17-08-2007, 09:00 AM
It's worth trying to get a longer test ride on both bikes to get a better feel for what there like over all different types of road. The riding position will be completely different as your changing from a sit up back straight kinda bike to a hunched over leaning forward superbike hence the bars being so far away. It took me a while to get used to the 916 as it such a change in position from the monster, i found i had to grip the tank more with my legs to get the weight off my wrists once i got my head round that it was much better.

Shandy

PS: get you high heels on that'll sort reaching the ground :chuckle:

Nim
17-08-2007, 09:20 AM
PS: get you high heels on that'll sort reaching the ground :chuckle:[/QUOTE]

you think i havent thought of that ? :)

Nim
17-08-2007, 09:41 AM
[QUOTE=Gilps;220513]It's the mono version that has the adjustable seat, forwards and backwards. The Biposto doesn't.
QUOTE]

Excuse my ignorance...but does that mean that that the 749s (2007) wont have the adjustable seat?

Gilps
17-08-2007, 10:16 AM
[QUOTE=Gilps;220513]It's the mono version that has the adjustable seat, forwards and backwards. The Biposto doesn't.
QUOTE]

Excuse my ignorance...but does that mean that that the 749s (2007) wont have the adjustable seat?

Not at all. The Mono or single seat version has an adjustable seat, back and front to accomodate different height riders. The Biposto or dual seat version doesn't. Worth checking though as this may change year on year. The Mono is the better looking of the 2 in my opinion, but no good if you want to take pillion. Some people buy the Mono and then convert it to a Bip when they realise they need a pillion seat, but this is costly as the standard mono subframe wont take the weight so will need to be changed. If you want the option of pillion but prefer the look of the mono, then buy a bip and convert it with a mono seat unit.
As Shandy says, blag a test ride and stick 50-100 miles on it. My first time out on the 998 I thought to myself "this is not much diiferent to the Monster in terms of performance and handling". 30 miles into the trip it started to make sense. I opened it up a bit more and was blown away by it. Truly awesome. But I still love my Monnie for real world biking.
Spend some time making the right decision and you won't regret it. But you still should buy a black 749S Mono with white number boards really.:thumbsup:

Nim
17-08-2007, 10:45 AM
Spend some time making the right decision and you won't regret it. But you still should buy a black 749S Mono with white number boards really.:thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

yes i agree!!! what i could do is keep my monster and then get the 848 on finance when it inevitably comes out next year :)

but im def going to get some serious testing on bikes onver the next couple of weeks!

zxebeast
17-08-2007, 11:02 AM
yes i agree!!! what i could do is keep my monster and then get the 848 on finance when it inevitably comes out next year :)

but im def going to get some serious testing on bikes onver the next couple of weeks!

hi Nim that sounds tight. why rush into buyin a bike when u cud be testin a new one every week... n still keep ur monster :D

Nim
17-08-2007, 12:54 PM
hi Nim that sounds tight. why rush into buyin a bike when u cud be testin a new one every week... n still keep ur monster :D

well....if i get another bike, my monster will have to go! im going to take a break now and stare at my bike for a while (not that im weird or anything) and make some life decisions.

Darry
17-08-2007, 01:53 PM
Nim,

How about this mod to help with the feet not on the floor problem? :biggrin:

Darry. :running:

http://www.discountbicycles.co.uk/accessories/stabilisers/stabiliser12-20.jpg

JerryXt
17-08-2007, 02:09 PM
Darry, you are one brave man!

Darry
17-08-2007, 02:42 PM
Darry, you are one brave man!

Not really, she's only little! :chuckle:

DevilBoy
17-08-2007, 03:18 PM
I'm seriously looking at getting one of these bad boys. Insurance is the same as my S4.

I'm a bit worried I'm gonna miss the big grin factor on a 749 though...
It aint gonna pull like a train is it!

Gilps
17-08-2007, 03:37 PM
I'm seriously looking at getting one of these bad boys. Insurance is the same as my S4.

You're gonna have to learn to rev it. That's where the fun is apparently. Wring it's neck.

Nim
17-08-2007, 03:43 PM
Not really, she's only little! :chuckle:

But i still have longer legs than you....lol

Nim
17-08-2007, 03:46 PM

you know what......gilps has a point, gotta learn to rev the hell out of it....id say that cud be fun.....i think you can love a 749 in a different way to a monster...yeah, i can see it.....lemme know if you're looking for one cos ive done lots of research now!

crust
17-08-2007, 04:57 PM
I hated the standard riding position of my 996, the reach to the bars was too far and too low.

It put way too much weight onto my wrists

I fitted helibars which raised the handlebar position by 1 1/2" and brought it back about the same amount.

Made it a load more comfy.

The height can be adjusted by lowering the bike without affecting the steering suspension if done properly.

:) Crust

Bodybag
19-08-2007, 08:08 PM

I got rid of my S4 and am now on a 749S Monoposto. Totally different way to ride but at the same time still has that lazy V-Twin grunt. You just have to remember to use the full rev range. Mine goes to about 11k before the limiter kicks in I think (not 100% sure as I never look at the rev counter when I'm screwing the nuts out of the bike!!) :D

PeteD
20-08-2007, 12:57 PM
You really need to go ride the Gixxer now to get a real comparison.

If you'd like to meet up some time and see what you reckon to the Gixxer you're more than welcome to pop up and have a go some time....

Nim
20-08-2007, 02:54 PM
If you'd like to meet up some time and see what you reckon to the Gixxer you're more than welcome to pop up and have a go some time....

really? that would be great.....altho we'll have to figure out a time i can get up to where you live...am i right in thinking not far from milton keynes? my geography is sh** so, i could be completely wrong :chuckle:

PeteD
20-08-2007, 03:14 PM
really? that would be great.....altho we'll have to figure out a time i can get up to where you live...am i right in thinking not far from milton keynes? my geography is sh** so, i could be completely wrong :chuckle:

Yep not far at all from MK, if coming up the M1 then rather than coming off at J14 you come off at J15 - 20 mins further at the most.

Nim
20-08-2007, 03:30 PM
rock n roll....maybe PM when you know you're free? thanks!!!