PDA

View Full Version : Monster virgin!

minnie_minx
16-08-2007, 06:46 AM
Hello all!

I think I hit a midlife crisis. After years entertaining myself on jap sports bikes I had a sudden urge to ditch my beloved zx6 and try something new. Thought long and hard and decided I fancied a big naked V. Being vertically challenged it became a straight fight between a Monster S4R and a Buell Lightening......

Went on t'internet, saw a Monster. She was red with a black stripe with black wheels (don't like cleaning!) - yum......

Went to showroom and bought it!

The guys at Ducati Wolves did a nice job lowering the suspension for me. Bought carbon bits for her too. They even delivered her to my house (blooming rain). Took her down the road (bit wobbly - like learning to ride all over again!). Got back. Found nail in tyre - arse. Husband rode her to good tyre place in Shifnal (Sticky Jim's). He finally got back with large grin - he's jealous of my baby!!! :biggrin: He also had a crisis and swapped his gsxr for an Aprilia Tuono.

Finally went out on long ride to Wales last week. Oh my God. She's fabulous! OK, so everything vibrates and the clutch is a bit heavier than I'm used to, but the noise, the brakes, the midrange, the handling, the noise. I reckon that I'm just as quick through the twisties but slower at top end (which is what I wanted by going naked).

Sorry about the War and Peace like epic - just wanted to enthuse about my Duke. Now I understand the Ducati thing, don't think I'll be switching back to sports bikes.

Thanks for listening.

MilesB
16-08-2007, 06:55 AM
Finally went out on long ride to Wales last week. Oh my God. She's fabulous! OK, so everything vibrates and the clutch is a bit heavier than I'm used to, but the noise, the brakes, the midrange, the handling, the noise. I reckon that I'm just as quick through the twisties but slower at top end (which is what I wanted by going naked).
It's called character ;)

Welcome to the Club. I must say I'm envious of your location - Shropshire is beautiful and you can do rideouts all through the Welsh Marches. Of course now you've got a Monster you'll be enjoying the ride so much you wont notice the scenery...

Miles

benson
16-08-2007, 07:04 AM
Welcome to the club! I made the switch similarly a few years ago, finally relinquishing the 'blade and buying a Buell to keep the monster company! You won't regret it at all - they are great bikes!

Chappers
16-08-2007, 09:12 AM
Welcome :ukm:

I love it when I spot another lady joining the site :woot: :yoparty:

Hopefully see you at some events :D

funkidiva
16-08-2007, 12:21 PM
This is good news as Im thinking about swapping my VFR for a Monster. Am shopping around for one at the mo. I was thinking of going for a CBR and sticking to sports bikes originally but I struggle with the height of some of them whereas Monsters seem a perfect height.

minnie_minx
16-08-2007, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome.

You're right, Shropshire is the best. Moved here from Birmingham 3 years ago and don't regret it one bit. The roads around here are fab, and Wales only a short hop. Got to watch out for unmarked cars and camera vans - very unsportsmanlike :thumbsdown: Usually people warn you if they've passed one coming in the other direction. Also the odd sheep and cows going for milking. Oh, and tourists driving slooooowly and making unexpected turns/stops.

Hope to get involved in a few events soon too.

Nice to hear from other ladies into their bikes.

minnie_minx
16-08-2007, 12:38 PM
This is good news as Im thinking about swapping my VFR for a Monster. Am shopping around for one at the mo. I was thinking of going for a CBR and sticking to sports bikes originally but I struggle with the height of some of them whereas Monsters seem a perfect height.

By the way, the S4R is a higher seat height than the other Monsters. I'm only 5 feet tall with size 3 feet and I needed about 2 inches taken off the height - with my stature I need all the inches I can get!!!!!

My bike has a ride height adjuster on the rear suspension. The boys shortened it and dropped the front forks a bit to level it out - also bent the side stand a bit and pulled the bars back. Also had the seat cut down a bit by an upholsterers - you'd never know looking at it as they did a really good job. They charged me an hours labour and £70 for the seat - much cheaper than buying a new shorter rear shock like I did for my zx6-r. You still have as much fun on these with the bonus that they're more comfy, you're more upright so you can move your body around easier and they're full of character.

Good luck with finding a new bike. You won't regret it! But I might be tempted to keep the VFR as a track bike.......

benson
16-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Keep the vfr as you say - they are greatbikes...

And why not come and join us on the mini weekender mid September - it's to Tideswell in Derbyshire 14-17th and we've rented out a huge barn with plenty of sleepng space and a hot tub!!! I'm Benson - London and Essex rep by the way, or Rachel by any other name!

Happy monstering!

benson
16-08-2007, 12:47 PM
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=20731&page=11

Here's the link to the mini weekender - £109 for three nights plus food and beer - can't be bad!!!!!

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

singletrack
16-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Hi Minnie and funkidiva

welcome to :ukm:

Chappers
16-08-2007, 01:16 PM

Welcome to you too :biggrin:

minnie_minx
16-08-2007, 01:33 PM
[QUOTE=benson;220351]Keep the vfr as you say - they are greatbikes...QUOTE]

Yeah, especially when one overtakes you on the outside of a corner...

Happened to me on a track day at Snetterton. Guy passes me on outside at Sears. Spent the straight laughing into my helmet - cheeky bugger!!! He even apologised to me in the pits bless him. I thought it was hilarious being overtaken by a 400, especially as I was as cranked over as possible (checked my tyres in the pits - scrubbed right to edge!!)

Thanks for the link for the event. Will have a look!

gremlin
16-08-2007, 08:44 PM
Welcome from another of the vertically challenged lasses! Don't know what type of monnie you're after Funki but there's a red 900 with MOT going for around £1000 in Norfolk. Don't think it's been advertised yet so you could nip in before anyone else gets it! It will lower really well too, I'm tiny and could get tiptoes down on one.

funkidiva
20-08-2007, 08:27 AM
Think I want either a 750 or 900 monster preferably in red. Didnt realise you can get them lowered so much either, like Minnie Minx did. If I could afford to keep a Monster and my VFR I would, plus I have no garage space either so its one or the other unfortunately.

Its great that you organise events on here too like this mini weekender coming up.

benson
20-08-2007, 03:01 PM
The 900 i a peach - I have had mine for about 5 years now and although sometimes I hanker after the 1000ds engine I still love the grunt of the 900 and its simple beastly nature!

The mini weekender is simply one of a whole host of events you can hook up with - hope to catch you soon :ukm:

minnie_minx
21-08-2007, 06:40 AM
Hi Funky

Either 750 or 900 will be very different to your 400. I found my S4R light years away from my 600 sports bike. Still getting used to it - riding fast isn't the problem it's riding slow as it pulls so strongly from such low revs (not like an inline 4 where you have to wait until about 6000rpm for things to get interesting!). Had to recalibrate my right wrist to keep front end down!

Judging by your pic, you probably won't need it lowering anyway - I owned a zxr400 which is about same height as your VFR and i couldn't reach the floor properly on that either (tip toes only - I'm 5 foot with size 3 feet!). Your best bet is to find one and sit on it - you may get away with just taking a bit out the seat.

Have fun

Minnie