PDA

View Full Version : How do i get.....

Shandy
13-08-2007, 09:46 PM
........oil out of my carpet???

I've tried that 1001, vanish with oxi action and it's all a load of bollocks :hissy: :hissy:

Yes due to my complete lack of respect for my place i've got some oil spots on the stairs and in the lounge. Now i would move the rug in the lounge to cover those but then id see the burn mark from dropping the iron so thats no good :Furious: :Furious:

Anyone know any good tips for carpet cleaning or some good gear to add to my cleaning arsenal for this house work muppetry??

Cheers,

Shandy

Nickj
13-08-2007, 10:07 PM
Stanley knife?
Dunno, the insane collie stole a car part one day which visited various parts of the house. Some creamish carpet suffered badly, stupid colour to start with. We tried most everything, I have the feeling the pressure washer and some agressive degreaser would probly work!!

scrumpster
13-08-2007, 10:25 PM
Claim on your insurance!! Accidentally brought it in on your shoes!!

bad-yeti
13-08-2007, 10:26 PM
Go to a Dry cleaners and ask them for some solvent, they'll sell you a small amount, dab it on and work towards the centre, then repeat.

Then Repeat.

Then Repeat.

Then have a beer.

Then Repeat.

Etc

Shandy
13-08-2007, 10:31 PM
I don't really want to claim scrumpster, it'll only happen again next month :rolleyes:

I'll probably go with Yeti's plan cheers for that........

........although the idea of a jet wash indoors does have a bit of an appeal, just to see what happens for experimental purposes of course :cool: :chuckle:

Shandy

scrapps
14-08-2007, 07:44 AM
I did the same last year:dunce: and used solvent degreaser (nabed tin from work) sprayed some on cotton rag and wiped off ok. did not take colour out or melt my carpet but test on off cut first if possible..good luck (AMBERSIL FE10 SOLVENT DEGREASER )

squiffything
14-08-2007, 05:04 PM
Claim anyway Andy that extra bit of wonga will all go towards the injured bike fund then clean away with industrial strength degreaser

Blah blah
14-08-2007, 06:07 PM
Could always remove your carpets...

JerryXt
14-08-2007, 06:39 PM
white lightening degreaser - buy it from a bike shop or wiggle.co.uk

This stuff rocks.

scrumpster
14-08-2007, 08:59 PM
white lightening degreaser - buy it from a bike shop or wiggle.co.uk

This stuff rocks.

Blimey, thought that was scrumpy - they rebottled it??!!! :shocked:

The Kevlar Kid
14-08-2007, 09:23 PM
There is one thing that never fails to get oil out of fabrics (as long as you don't mess it about with other stuff first anyway :rolleyes: ) and that's brake cleaner. Spray it on the stain, and then dab off with either sone white kitchen towel, or ideally some white cotton cloth. It never fails me.

We used to use this for getting oil marks out of seat trims etc, and I often have to use it around the house as we have light coloured carpets. Works a treat on oily make-up stains too :cool:

Of course, if you've already scrubbed it in to the carpet too much it may be too late.

Nickj
14-08-2007, 09:38 PM
Sheesh isn't something drinkable so there had to be a use for the stuff.
Do you think the Forests headbanger poison 'GL' a noxious brand of cider would work?

spacemonkey
14-08-2007, 09:54 PM
Spilled gearbox opil in the back of my old Sporty and used a steram cleaner and copious amounts of isopropyl alcohol, but nothing got it out.
Spilled some veg oil/white spirit combo on my hall carpet when mixing up for my Pajero and that ain't showing signs of budging either. Bollards...

sadbiker
15-08-2007, 05:10 AM
Use make up wipes. Those girly things. We have found them to be quite good. even the cheapo asda ones seam to do the job.

JerryXt
15-08-2007, 05:35 AM
Blimey, thought that was scrumpy - they rebottled it??!!! :shocked:

Imagine how clean your insides will be!

Shandy
15-08-2007, 01:24 PM
Right then i'm all set for the weekend,

Jet wash ready,
Some cans of white lightning to drink,
Clean the brakes of my bike with make up wipes,
Use some solvent carpet cleaner to remove my carpets,
Then give up cos none of it's going to shift and just drink some more white lightning :mand:

Cheers all for the advice,

Shandy

PS: i'll probably give the solvent stuff a go and see if that shifts it :flag:

giler
15-08-2007, 01:58 PM
Right then i'm all set for the weekend,

Jet wash ready,
Some cans of white lightning to drink,
Clean the brakes of my bike with make up wipes,
Use some solvent carpet cleaner to remove my carpets,
Then give up cos none of it's going to shift and just drink some more white lightning :mand:

Cheers all for the advice,

Shandy

PS: i'll probably give the solvent stuff a go and see if that shifts it :flag:

Just move into the garage and keep the bikes in the flat!

Pedro
15-08-2007, 04:28 PM
Circuit Board Cleaner should shift it - if you can hang on I'll grab a can from work later this week

sadbiker
15-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Try the cheapie make up wipes you may be surprised, I was.

I had to resort to the cheapies as COR was getting abit annoyed with me using a pack of her posh ones.... But she started it!!!!!!!!!

gremlin
15-08-2007, 08:47 PM
When our Rayburn decided to huff oil all over the house we used washing powder on the floor boards, that worked pretty well, had to be quite strong though. Just got the house back to normal after living in a diesel exhaust pipe and she did it again, bless her! I was black for days, tother half said he always like mucky birds, I don't think it's quite what he had in mind though!

Shandy
16-08-2007, 06:54 PM
Just move into the garage and keep the bikes in the flat!

It's tempting mate but then id have to dust them every now and again along with the telly when i can't see the picture anymore :look:

Circuit Board Cleaner should shift it - if you can hang on I'll grab a can from work later this week

Cheers for that does this mean i really do have to help you move that sofa if i accept it :D Have you got a move in date yet???

Try the cheapie make up wipes you may be surprised, I was.

I had to resort to the cheapies as COR was getting abit annoyed with me using a pack of her posh ones.... But she started it!!!!!!!!!

I think my male ego will not let me go down that isle in boots...lol

tother half said he always like mucky birds, I don't think it's quite what he had in mind though!

ooo that made me laugh :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Pedro
16-08-2007, 07:18 PM
Fookin' right it does! That sofa is bloody heavy!!!

Pick the keys up Monday afternoon if you're about, moving in over the bank holiday weekend.

Ped

sadbiker
17-08-2007, 06:59 AM
I think my male ego will not let me go down that isle in boots...lol

And I thought you were a man of the world!!!!!!!!!

Shandy
17-08-2007, 07:51 AM
And I thought you were a man of the world!!!!!!!!!

Man of the world yes, man of the make up aisle errrrr no :look: