PDA

View Full Version : is anyone going on the unity ride?

Jacqui
13-08-2007, 12:51 PM
Is anyone going on the unity ride around London next sunday? I see that one of the meeting points is the oakdene cafe at 11:00 am. It looks like fun and it's for charity! :)

Stu Pid
13-08-2007, 02:47 PM
now that sounds like a good one to me, Im up for it, would be good if we could get a group of us to meet from this club. Anyone?

http://unity2.unityride.co.uk/

Its now starting from the Excel Centre near London Airport, just off A406-A13 roundabout

katana
13-08-2007, 02:57 PM
No and in no way involved

Stu Pid
13-08-2007, 03:12 PM
No and in no way involved

sorry, whats that?

katana
13-08-2007, 03:17 PM
That was someone who's not happy about the unity name being turned in to a joke. The original unity ride had a purpose and meaning, this is no more than a pastiche and IMO makes a mockery of the original ride.

Stu Pid
13-08-2007, 03:21 PM
That was someone who's not happy about the unity name being turned in to a joke. The original unity ride had a purpose and meaning, this is no more than a pastiche and IMO makes a mockery of the original ride.

Sorry, you'll have to excuse me but what/who is IMO? and the original ride being to show unity for the people who died on 7/7 ?

Stu Pid
13-08-2007, 03:27 PM
excuse my ignorance once more but surely, anything that spawns into a machine which raises money for worth while charities and causes whilst at the same time providing some enjoyment regardless of the original purpose is a good thing no? or am I missing the point?

Jacqui
13-08-2007, 03:42 PM
I agree Stu, whats the problem Katana? it's a charity ride, how has it been turned into a joke?

katana
13-08-2007, 04:20 PM
IMO is in my opinion.

The original ride was to stand defiant against the terror and fear caused by the bombs. It was to show we aren't scared and we as London bikers will unite and to grieve for the lost innocents who died on that day.

I'm all for charity rides, but why call it unity? Why not rename it as something elseas it does not share the same sentimants and raison d'etre as the original ride. There has been so many names it has had already and IMO is a poor organisation, also the reasons for the ride keep altering. See threads on Visordown and the london bikers for points of few. I have my point of view and opinion and I feel that what i did in the first ride I did to make a difference, this one just seems to jump on the originals name without looking at the reasons we did what we did.

Stu Pid
13-08-2007, 04:52 PM
IMO is in my opinion.

The original ride was to stand defiant against the terror and fear caused by the bombs. It was to show we aren't scared and we as London bikers will unite and to grieve for the lost innocents who died on that day.

I'm all for charity rides, but why call it unity? Why not rename it as something elseas it does not share the same sentimants and raison d'etre as the original ride. There has been so many names it has had already and IMO is a poor organisation, also the reasons for the ride keep altering. See threads on Visordown and the london bikers for points of few. I have my point of view and opinion and I feel that what i did in the first ride I did to make a difference, this one just seems to jump on the originals name without looking at the reasons we did what we did.

Oh dont get me wrong, Im not saying you dont have a point of view, of course not, but isnt that a bit like saying that Live 8 shouldnt of happened as Live Aid had a bit more of a reason and was the original and it could never be lived up to? there are loads of charities that have risen out of one off events. The name "Unity" is just a name isnt it? and if it helps raise money for kids then hey, call it what ya like is my opinion, I dont care. The original served its purpose BIG TIME, at that point in TIME, now, we dont forget, but, we move on, and as I said, out of that momentous, but also sad first UNITY occasion, money is raised giving hope to many young children that wouldnt get it otherwise. Riding on the back of the name UNITY gives the event much more of a chance for success than starting something else from scratch. Next year there could be another massive disaster, are we then going to say "oh you cant use the name Unity, Oh no, no way"?

One more point, there was nothing stopping you, or anyone else doing your own thing for the purpose you feel it was originally meant for.

Again, I know its your opinion, and I am sooo not digginng you whatsoever,, I just dont understand why you would openly degrade an event which has very very good intentions, no matter how badly run it is, or, why it was originally started, its for charidy mate (thats said in the voice of tony blackburn BTW)

katana
14-08-2007, 10:53 AM
Oh dont get me wrong, Im not saying you dont have a point of view, of course not, but isnt that a bit like saying that Live 8 shouldnt of happened as Live Aid had a bit more of a reason and was the original and it could never be lived up to? there are loads of charities that have risen out of one off events. The name "Unity" is just a name isnt it? and if it helps raise money for kids then hey, call it what ya like is my opinion, I dont care. The original served its purpose BIG TIME, at that point in TIME, now, we dont forget, but, we move on, and as I said, out of that momentous, but also sad first UNITY occasion, money is raised giving hope to many young children that wouldnt get it otherwise. Riding on the back of the name UNITY gives the event much more of a chance for success than starting something else from scratch. Next year there could be another massive disaster, are we then going to say "oh you cant use the name Unity, Oh no, no way"?

One more point, there was nothing stopping you, or anyone else doing your own thing for the purpose you feel it was originally meant for.

Again, I know its your opinion, and I am sooo not digginng you whatsoever,, I just dont understand why you would openly degrade an event which has very very good intentions, no matter how badly run it is, or, why it was originally started, its for charidy mate (thats said in the voice of tony blackburn BTW)

Seriously do a search on the london bikers and visordown and see what has gone on. I cant don't want to be accused of trolling on lots of sites about this.

Oh and the live aid live8 thing is a different name. The one has had several name changes before it's even run.

benson
14-08-2007, 11:24 AM
I'm hoping to be around on Sunday but to be honest I'd rather just head somewhere for a nice brekkie (the ace - it will be quiet once they've all left) rather than ride in a long queue of bikes breathing ina lot of CO with an overheating engine (ok given the air temperature that might not be a problem!!!) and donate a tenner to the worthy causes on the webiste - hell I sound like a miserable git!! Aha - maybe I am !!!!! ANYWAY - whatever you all end up doing have a good one and enjoy the great british summer - NOT!!!!