PDA

View Full Version : Switching to non-monster bike....help!

Nim
12-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Ok guys....I am ill prepared for the backlash that this post may receive...please all bear in mind that i have just arrived home from the bulldog bash and have not slept since last wednesday night...

Right, the situation is that I am thinking of switching from monster (ive only ever had monsters!) to a GIXER 750.....but dunno! I feel like im cheating on my monster just THINKING about it.

Can anyone give me some impartial advice about their opinions of this??

I do want a faired bike (im lying on the tank once i hit a ton, and find fairings sooo much better)....and had a go on the gixer and found it lighter and easier to handle than my 695.

Cheers!

ps can i still be friend to monsterers even without owning one??

Scotty
12-08-2007, 11:28 AM
umm well since youve had a go errm theres not much else to say realy

i remember i had a go on r kid brother gixer750 but the breif go i had on it i couldnt get my head round going past 10 k reves and hence never actually got it going properly (where as r kid brother constantly bounced my bike off the rev limiter the git)

only other comment i have is licence loosing potential on the road

if your thinking of the track then yeah a cheap to repair track bike is a thought

JerryXt
12-08-2007, 11:34 AM
wait for the 800 whatever 1098! It's going to have loads of power and look damn sexy too. Just next year!

I had a honda for years and I never really understood it. Couldn't work it out, but ducatis feel so 'right'.

Dave G
12-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Also worth looking at the SS range,a very underated bike.

Shandy
12-08-2007, 12:49 PM
A know a bloke that sold his mint 748 and bought a gixer 750, rode the thing 3 times in the time he had it, sold it, bought a monster and now is on here too.

Im trying to think of something nice to say about the gixer but there isnt...lol and he didn't have anything good to say about it either and couldn't wait to get back to the world of Ducati owning after a souless uninsprired dip into owning an uncle bens bike. And not to mention the relentless **** taking we gave him, i mean have you seen the size of the fuel tank!!!

Have you thought about the 749 range, the 848 will be out in january so there may be some good deals on second hand 749's about then, i'm hoping so i really want a 749 Dark to add to the collection and hope to get a cheap one!!!!!

Cheers,

Shandy

JerryXt
12-08-2007, 01:17 PM
Have you thought about the 749 range, the 848 will be out in january so there may be some good deals on second hand 749's about then, i'm hoping so i really want a 749 Dark to add to the collection and hope to get a cheap one!!!!!

Cheers,

Shandy

I know what you mean. The 999 has become generally more appreciated since the 1098 came out.

katana
12-08-2007, 01:31 PM
Try a few faired bikes to see what you like.

PeteD
12-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Well I changed from a Monster 750ie to a K3 GSX-R750 (via a Kawasaki Z750S)....

To be fair I only picked up the Gixxer last week so I'm still getting used to it, but it is a completely different animal to the Monster.

A big change when I went from the Monster to the Z was the lack of V-Twin grunt. It took a little while to get used to having to rev the bike harder but it's very addictive and you get used to having to be in the right gear.

I changed from the Z to the GSXR as I figured it was time to try out a full-on sports bike and with a whole 12 months of riding experience, what better than 140bhp of Suzuki.... the bike goes like a bastard. It's surprisingly grunty even low down and flies up the road at a serious rate when you do let it rev. I like the riding position as it's a lot easier to hustle around corners than a more upright bike.

Yes you'll get the **** taken by Monster owners, but they're just jealous of the genuine 170mph plus top speed ;)

Gadget
12-08-2007, 01:44 PM
You had a go on the 1098 at the Mallory track day. Did it set your heart a fluttering? Did you want more?

You have to try other things to be able to say what you prefer. Try a GSX, a Harley :freak: then maybe try a trials bike of somekind. Then you'll be ready to come back Monstering. First loves and all that.:)

johnnystorm
12-08-2007, 03:00 PM
I had similar thoughts but got myself an ST2. Yeah it's by no means a full on sportsbike but lets be honest, you can whip just about all of Joe Public on the road on a 600 monster. The extra grunt, fairing and range are all appreciated. saves going down the "newer bike, bigger depreciation" route. Another thing, that may or may not bother you is that out of all the bikes I saw today the majority were Gixxers. I suppose they are common for a reason though.

Nim
12-08-2007, 06:42 PM
Hmmmm...i am very appreciative of all your thoughts....in fact, i was thinking a 916....and am hopefully testriding a few bikes tomoro....i definitely want fairings and more of a sports bike. Id love the 1098 or 848 (next yr), but the money is a problem, and i want a faster bike NOW!

offhand, I had a sit on an old 748 and 749 and they were so bloody heavy, i had trouble gettin them off the stand! And ive not had a problem with other bikes.....im not exactly the strongest chica in the world, so lighter is better :)

Zimbo
12-08-2007, 06:46 PM
Yes you'll get the **** taken by Monster owners, but they're just jealous of the genuine 170mph plus top speed ;)

er . . . . nope.

PeteD
12-08-2007, 06:55 PM
er . . . . nope.

I was only messing about... apologies if I sounded like a typical t-shirt and trainer wearing GSXR chav...

Nim
12-08-2007, 06:57 PM
I was only messing about... apologies if I sounded like a typical t-shirt and trainer wearing GSXR chav...

Hey, i wouldnt worry about it....i did 148 on my 695 today (didnt think it was possible!) and would probably be keeping any other bike not too much higher than this :) (Altho i once said id not be likely to do over a ton...soooo....we'll see)

PeteD
12-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Hmmmm...i am very appreciative of all your thoughts....in fact, i was thinking a 916....and am hopefully testriding a few bikes tomoro....i definitely want fairings and more of a sports bike. Id love the 1098 or 848 (next yr), but the money is a problem, and i want a faster bike NOW!

offhand, I had a sit on an old 748 and 749 and they were so bloody heavy, i had trouble gettin them off the stand! And ive not had a problem with other bikes.....im not exactly the strongest chica in the world, so lighter is better :)

When I bought my Gixxer I thought about a 916, but the tidy low-mileage bikes seemed to be holding their value a bit too well - I picked up a tidy 4500 mille 4 year old GSXR for the same price as a 10 year old 916.

But likewise if I had the cash it would be a 1098 parked up outside instead...

Nim
12-08-2007, 07:03 PM
When I bought my Gixxer I thought about a 916, but the tidy low-mileage bikes seemed to be holding their value a bit too well - I picked up a tidy 4500 mille 4 year old GSXR for the same price as a 10 year old 916.

But likewise if I had the cash it would be a 1098 parked up outside instead...

Yeah, that's what i have been finding too. If i had the $$ I would have every bloody ducati i could get my hands on! My slightly murky future plan is to have many bikes and choose to ride different ones depending on my mood....im a girl, so it would have to be a lot of bikes :)

PeteD
12-08-2007, 07:03 PM
Hey, i wouldnt worry about it....i did 148 on my 695 today (didnt think it was possible!) and would probably be keeping any other bike not too much higher than this :) (Altho i once said id not be likely to do over a ton...soooo....we'll see)

That's pretty good going!!! when I had my 750ie I gave up trying after about 125 as I was getting battered by the wind.

I've got a video of the previous owner of my GSXR doing an indicated 186 (genuine 171) down a runway but I've not had it above 110 yet, it's the first bike I've had that intimidates me...

NattyBoy
12-08-2007, 07:05 PM

148 !!! What you running it on - dragfuel ??!!!!

GSXR - dull dull dull. Bloke over the road came over today..his lads got a trciked up 750 Gixer..took a 749S out for a demo and he picks it up saturday. And he was a BIG gixer fan.

Nim
12-08-2007, 07:05 PM
That's pretty good going!!! when I had my 750ie I gave up trying after about 125 as I was getting battered by the wind.

I've got a video of the previous owner of my GSXR doing an indicated 186 (genuine 171) down a runway but I've not had it above 110 yet, it's the first bike I've had that intimidates me...

oh...well, i was thinking of getting one in the hope that it wouldnt intimidate me :). This should be an interesting experience!! It was the RSV Mille and MV Agusta (F4s) that were up there in the list. I thought the gixer might be the more affordable and less scary option (that i am less likely to lose licence or hurt myself on)

PeteD
12-08-2007, 07:06 PM
Yeah, that's what i have been finding too. If i had the $$ I would have every bloody ducati i could get my hands on! My slightly murky future plan is to have many bikes and choose to ride different ones depending on my mood....im a girl, so it would have to be a lot of bikes :)

There was definitely something about owning a Ducati that felt a bit more 'special' than a Jap bike.

I changed my Monster for a Z750S as I did want something a bit quicker, and although it was, as an object it did nothing for me at all.

If I had the cash and the space I'm sure I'd have quite a collection of bikes, but as I tend to be very much a weekend sunny weather biker, the GSXR seemed to fit my requirements pretty well.

NattyBoy
12-08-2007, 07:06 PM
er . . . . nope.

170's the easy bit..im my experience of track days they want to learn to get the things round corners first !!!

PeteD
12-08-2007, 07:10 PM
oh...well, i was thinking of getting one in the hope that it wouldnt intimidate me :). This should be an interesting experience!! It was the RSV Mille and MV Agusta (F4s) that were up there in the list. I thought the gixer might be the more affordable and less scary option (that i am less likely to lose licence or hurt myself on)

When I say it intimidates me, I mean I've not had the bottle to give it full throttle to the redline yet. On my Monster it was easy to do this after every roundabout etc.

With the GSXR it's easy to keep the revs below say 8K and still make very good progress - it feels like a bike to grow in to. I think the low down torque of a Mille or another big twin is more likely to catch you out...

PeteD
12-08-2007, 07:13 PM
170's the easy bit..im my experience of track days they want to learn to get the things round corners first !!!

Agreed completely, my comment was made tongue in cheek. I'm the first person to admit I've got a lot to learn, after all I've only been riding just over a year. I don't want to be the twat doing 150mph down a straight then going round the bends at 30... it all takes time though!

Nim
12-08-2007, 07:13 PM
When I say it intimidates me, I mean I've not had the bottle to give it full throttle to the redline yet. On my Monster it was easy to do this after every roundabout etc.

With the GSXR it's easy to keep the revs below say 8K and still make very good progress - it feels like a bike to grow in to. I think the low down torque of a Mille or another big twin is more likely to catch you out...

That's exactly what i thought...and i REALLY dont wanna get caught out!! Not a good or safe plan to ride a bike I cant handle.

Nickj
12-08-2007, 07:30 PM
Got to admit Suzuki do make nicely balanced and good handling sports bikes. Problem I always had (had?? have LOL) was if the bike will go quick then I'll go along with it, so weak willed on the throttle control biz.
Bit more limiting on the IE as past 100 and something it makes an old shoulder injury hurt.

marchesini
12-08-2007, 07:34 PM

Hi Nim, if the truth be told, I much prefer the 996 / 748 to ride than my Monster (and I'm now on my fourth Monster now!). It just seems right to ride and perhaps I just prefer sportsbikes. I do like to move about on them (hanging off etc) and everything just seems to fit my size shape i.e small, firm and toned :chuckle: :chuckle: Othere prefer the wide bars of the Monster but all I've ever done to all of them is install clip-ons and try to make them handle like a 916.

I know you want something faster but what exactly is it you are after. From our brief conversation at the track day, I would say (in no particular order):
1. faster
2. better handling (goes round corners well)
3. lighter (+ low seat height)
4. looks good
5. makes a nice sound
6. good as a track tool

Now judging by your comments, it also appears that you have the 'need for speed' which is very addictive. My first suggestion (hopefully without sounding condescending, and I speak from very recent experience here) is that you should confine you mad moments to the track. 148 on the road is really not a good speed to be caught at - if you change to a full-on sportsbike, the temptation to speed will be too great and you will find yourself in situations where you will hurt yourself.

Soapbox mode off and I suggest a 748, trackdays and a Ron Haslam Race school - perhaps even a M600 to do the Desmo Due next year if you are really addicted to the speed thing. Myself and Natty both have 748s as trackbikes and they can easily embarrass the bigger Japanese sportsbikes (well, in Natty's hands they can - hell, with Zimbo riding his M600, it can embarrass most Japanese machinery!!) The 748 can be picked up for about £3000 - I even saw an 853 conversion for sale on the DSC site for £3200 - I think it was even road legal with lots of extras aswell. My friend sold his 916 with carbon bodywork for about £3500 so I think there are good bikes out there. The 749 is also an option as some have also suggested.

BTW, any bike will go fast in a straight line - it's the corners where Ducati's are super stable which gives you the confidence to go faster. I'm not an expert in Japanese bikes but my understanding of them is they are a lot more lively and move around more but some prefer to feel that.

I've gone on enough and if you do the Cadwell Park day, I may go as one last hurrah before my licence is ripped up and my offer on my track bike is still open (a lot of ifs I know but I might see you there).

simon

Stu Pid
12-08-2007, 07:46 PM
You know what I had that "I want a faired bike" phase recently and I have tested everything you can think of, $$ aint the real problem, its just, getting a jap bike was like buying a fast ford mondeo, or a focus, or even supporting Man U, there's no soul, no individuality, fair enough you can go fast, but are you really gonna be going fast that much?1000 of people will have the same bike with the same colour and wont take a second look, whereas it seems with a nice Monster, with the sound it makes when you twist the grip coming out of a corner, with the respect it seems to have and you seem to get, its a true motorbike. I stand there looking at my bike like a pervert everytime I go to px it for a newer one and I cant do it.

Its really down to personal taste I know, but, you need to ask what is that you want out of motorbiking really.

Another thing i would like to point out is that "fairing phase" always comes around when ya knackered after a long motorbike jaunt miles away with shiny gixers whizzing past on the motorway on the way home.

JerryXt
12-08-2007, 08:12 PM
I wouldn't recommend an rsv - I borrowed one for a while and it too easy to do silly speeds without realising.

Bit like the rs with a fairing

Zimbo
12-08-2007, 08:36 PM
I wouldn't recommend an rsv - I borrowed one for a while and it too easy to do silly speeds without realising.

Bit like the rs with a fairing

And that is the problem with modern sports bikes. to get any fun from them, at all, you have to be doing triple digit speeds. Mr Plod tends not to be too understanding!

Nim, try some bikes out and get what suits you best. If you want something that's easy to ride and very fast, get a gixxer or similar, lots of people are very happy with them. It's not for me, but you need to get what's right for you. Good luck.

JMo
12-08-2007, 08:51 PM
I agree with Shandy and Natty - go for something like a 749 (S preferably) it's sublime... and Marchesini and Stu Pid offer sound opinions too - I'd put it rather more succinctly: Gixxers (and their ilk) are the equivalent of a 2-wheeled Subaru Impreza... it doesn't matter how technically brilliant they are, they appeal to and are basically ridden by, c**ts...

You have neither a thick neck nor a shaven head... please avoid.

Those are not 'my humble opinions', they are the truth... x

Ta ra

xxx

ps. don't by a particular bike just because you can afford it... wait and get something you can be truly proud of - its not just transport is it?!

pps. there is no way you actually did 148mph on a 695, even if that is what the speedo was reading... x

JerryXt
12-08-2007, 08:56 PM
I agree with Shandy and Natty - go for something like a 749 (S preferably) it's sublime...

...and Marchesini and Stu Pid offer sound opinions too - I'd put it rather more succinctly: Gixxers (and their ilk) are the equivalent of a 2-wheeled Subaru Impreza... it doesn't matter how technically brilliant they are, they appeal to and are basically ridden by, c**ts...

Ta ra

xxx

ps. don't by a particular bike just because you can afford it... wait and get something you can be truly proud of - its not just transport is it?!

pps. there is no way you actually did 148mph on a 695, even if that is what the speedo was reading... x

That is the FUNNIEST thing I've read in ages!

PeteD
12-08-2007, 09:26 PM
I agree with Shandy and Natty - go for something like a 749 (S preferably) it's sublime... and Marchesini and Stu Pid offer sound opinions too - I'd put it rather more succinctly: Gixxers (and their ilk) are the equivalent of a 2-wheeled Subaru Impreza... it doesn't matter how technically brilliant they are, they appeal to and are basically ridden by, c**ts...

That's a bit harsh, I resent that as a Gixxer owner with a shaven head and a reasonably thick neck....

Nim
12-08-2007, 10:10 PM

Ta ra

xxx

Yeah, i thought it was a little faster than i was going too...it was my mate in behind me who told me that. i had myself flat on the tank behind fly screen thinking 'slow down for Christ's sake Nim!!!'. Which i did...for the rest for the journey....

Nim
12-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Thanks for all the helpful comments everyone.....Simon, your points stand out in my head...you're right on every count...spot on!

Im spending this week checking out lots of bikes, but as usual....my heart feels the ducati thump. Altho i still do think a gixer is a great bike, and i promise there will be no acting like a c**t or shaving of the head if i ever get one. Altho, a shaved head could solve alot of 'helmet head' problems :)

gary tompkins
12-08-2007, 10:35 PM

Sorry... couldn't give less of a toss about a GSXR's top speed if I tried

and while we are on the subject...

If the GXSR's such a fantastic bike - why are you still logging on to a monster owners forum? :fou:

Bovvered?

ZZZzz :rolleyes:

JMo
12-08-2007, 10:54 PM
I think what this thread has already reaffirmed is what we already know - that by far the majority of Monster owners care little about top speed (or performance in general for that matter), rather it is all about the way the bike makes you feel, and that (should we care) it impresses others simply by what it is, and not what it can do...

And more to the point perhaps - that a great number of us seem not to care what others think anyway...?

xxx

JMo
12-08-2007, 11:05 PM
Altho i still do think a gixer is a great bike, and i promise there will be no acting like a c**t or shaving of the head if i ever get one. Altho, a shaved head could solve alot of 'helmet head' problems :)

Hee hee - while I admire your best intentions, the problem is, it simply entices you into behaving in such a way (just ask Chris Woods) - there really is no other way to ride those kind of bikes other than to rag'em like a bastard, and hence your stature is soon assured... x

Then next thing you know, it will be a trip to Bikergirlz (or whatever they are called) for some pink one-piece leathers with your name across the back... arrrrrrgh!

As grand master and his chum mel said to each other (via a bike to bike intercom) as they were planning to overtake on a dangerous corner: (white lines) don't do it!

xxx

PeteD
13-08-2007, 05:26 AM
Sorry... couldn't give less of a toss about a GSXR's top speed if I tried

and while we are on the subject...

If the GXSR's such a fantastic bike - why are you still logging on to a monster owners forum? :fou:

Bovvered?

ZZZzz :rolleyes:

Just f*ck off, I made it clear several times above that my comment was made in jest, I'm pretty confident that I'm an intelligent enough guy to not buy a bike for it's top speed; that'd be a pretty clever way to just kill yourself.

And at what point have I ever gone on about how fantastic the GSXR is? I explained that for various reasons, the bike made sense to me.

I actually logged on to the Monster forum to read a private message I'd been sent. While I was on here, I saw the thread discussing changing from a Monster to a Gixxer. Having made this change myself, I thought I would give my opinion - after all she did ask for opinions. Although I don't see why I should be justifying myself to you. Did I make any comments to you about your strange taste in transport?

What is the point in Nim starting this thread if everybody just says "Oh no no no keep a Monster, they're the best bikes in the world" - I loved my Monster, and if I had the time / space / cash for a few bikes, there would definitely be a Monster in my garage, but it isn't the "one bike" for everybody.

Zimbo
13-08-2007, 05:30 AM
Ouch! :eyepopping: :eyepopping:

Stu Pid
13-08-2007, 05:46 AM
ooooh the emotion on this site ooozes at times eh :mand:

sadbiker
13-08-2007, 05:56 AM
The best bike on the road, is the one you are on and happy with. So come on Ladies and Gents don't knock other peoples taste. If we were all the same as someone once said life would be totally boring. How many monsters on this site look identical with the money spent on some !!!!!!

Personally I wouldn't go for the GSXR but thats only because there are loads around, it handles to good and will sit at silly speeds without you noticing (100+), this is one of the reasons I got rid of my ZX6 a few years ago, I was riding around hitting the limiters up to 5th, then sitting on the motorway going home from work and crusing at 130+++ speeds. Bought myself a Hornet 900 to slow myself down and then finally a monster. The only thing I will say is at least I never crashed the ZX6 unlike the latter 2.

My mate has got a GSXR750 and loves it, his misses has a GSXR600 loves that BUT has problems with her wrists which is such a shame. Last year we all did Germany, This year me and my mate did WDW to Italy, much to his discomfort as Ducati is not his thing. Through if the 1098 was at Japanese prices he might have taken one out for a test.

I would say the 750 is the better out of all the GSXR's, less bussyiness than a 600 and more usable power than a 1000 which will get you in trouble.
Just make sure that the sitting position is ok for you and not to much weight on the wrists after a Monster, you can get clip ons to help raise the handlebars a little so there is scope.

benson
13-08-2007, 06:50 AM
Just got back from a weekend away (it's relevant so read on dear readers...) to see my sister. She lives about 250 miles away and it's a journey made most quickly by, you guessed it, motorways and a few miles of the A41...

Usually I'm on the Monster or the Buell - but this is not a journey for them because of the motorway content (boring boring boring) especially if I'm in a hurry to get there, which I usually am because I'm only there for a weekend.

This time however I had the Bandit 1200 which I've been allocated as a hire bike after that little twonk knobbled my hyper (notice - no stars in my spelling!:spin: )

So - the bandito might be like a boat to ride, it's hysterical trying to keep the front end down at times on a fast crack open of the throttle in pretty much any gear but to me this is pretty much the only time where fairing and top end speed counts. The journey was munched into small pieces and spat out with only a fuel stop at 170 miles to fill up. No numb bum, no neck ache. etc...

I had sportsbikes for about 10 years previous to the monster including my much loved but totally underused blade - a thousamd as well as a previous fox eye and latterly the baby 400 of the family - BUT i just don't get the same buzz from the ride of a sports bike. If money were no object then maybe I'd still have one, but interestingly I wanted the hyper as the next bike because it's different, it's unlike anything I've ever rdeen and I need to learn more about riding to ride it well - which is also the appeal and maybe Nim that's where you are now - wanting to try stuff out, different feel, different handling (and stopping tho I defy anyone to outbrake a well set up Ducati...) etc etc - yes there are lots of them out there but if that's what's floating your boat go for it and enjoy. I would recommend taking lengthy test rides on pretty much anything - try the Buell Firebolt, or better still the new 1100 they're about to release. Ride the other Ducs as have been posted about on this thread - just try them out and hell, go with what stirs your heart....

As I have always said -why die in credit???

scrapps
13-08-2007, 08:23 AM
Hi Nim i agree that the best bike is not allways the fastest or the most practical as people have said. also each to there own.( if you want to blend in with all the other jap bikes fine).the best bike for any person I think is the one that you enjoy riding.(unless you need to use for work ect) if it makes you smile when you see it and ride it ,its going to be the right one. even if its jap,german,british ect. p.s. you could get clip ons ect for yours. I did not get on with standard bars but love the clip ons fitted to mine...:D

Chappers
13-08-2007, 08:46 AM

My sentiments exactly Nat but I just think a Gixxer encourages outrageous speeds and boyracer type of riding but I'm not trying to stereotype here btw.

I lost my license for 28 days and it's hard going, if you got caught doing 140mph+ on a gixxer, 916, 695 etc you'd lose it for around 1yr plus have to retake your test...is it really worth it just for a 2min thrill in a straight line :eyepopping:

I thought Nim was pretty new to trackdays etc so quite shocked that she already wants a super fast screaming Jap bike or even a 916 :scratch: Everyone can do 100mph+ in a straightline piece of cake but what happens when you reach the end of that road and there's a corner to take - are you capable of taking that corner with that much speed behind you, have you braked hard enough, are you in the right gear? If not, it's kerb or hedge for you :hissy:

My first bike was the M600 but I got fed up of being left behind and not having the umph to overtake and play catch up without having to constantly go down the gears and rag the tits of it, hence the upgrade to the S2R/M750 - it's got that little bit extra umph but I don't want it for going 130mph in a straight line.

Nim - try the SS range as it's got umph and is faired, I just think Gixxers are very common and worried you're gonna lose your license :( Although, Harriebird (DOH Team) has a Gixxer 1000 as her road bike but it's because it's not too heavy, seat is lovely and narrow so her feet reach the floor just as comfortably as her Monnie.

Before you make any decisions I advise test riding loads of faired bikes and see which is best suited to you, then go sell your Monnie....or maybe keep it :)

Are you likely to be doing long motorway journeys, short blatts around A roads, track days - all depends what type of riding you'll be doing and which bike and make suits you personally.

Each to their own I suppose but just my thoughts - get what you feel is right fro YOU.

Nim
13-08-2007, 12:13 PM
Wow...again, i am so appreciative of everyones advice....BUT, a certain couple of people are being bitchy and out of order which is making me quite sad...the reason that i love this site is because the people are great, and it shouldnt matter if they ride a gixer, monster or anything else....will i be a different person if i ride a different bike?

Anyway, enough of that :)

I agree that the best thing to do is test ride every thingi can get my hands on, and its going to have to be a ducati. also because the insurance on a second hand gixxer is higher than a new 1098! wow...that suprised me!

P and H have nada in at the moment, so im heading down to check out a 748 and a 999 later today. il will let you all know how it goes, altho heart seems to be geatting more set on a 916...bloody difficult to find tho!

PeteD
13-08-2007, 12:28 PM
will i be a different person if i ride a different bike?

My point exactly. I was still a c**t when I had a Monster ;)

Gilps
13-08-2007, 12:50 PM
I've been reading this one with interest so here's my two penneth worth.
I have a Monster S2R 800. It is easily quick enough for the road. I reckon I'll keep up with most sportsbikes on the twisty country roads, simply because you either have to be a god or stupid to get the most out of a Jap sportsbike on a country lane. Of course they are quicker in a straight line but you could train a monkey to twist a throttle.:) On the track its not far off the pace either but it's on the track that the bike you ride makes a lot less diference than how good the rider is. You've only got to look at Natty last year at the UKMOC day with Chris Walker going round him at Edwinas on a GT1000 with Nat on his track bike 748.
If I was serious about track days then I would probably not use a Monster but get something a little more track focussed, R6, Gixxer 750, 748/749R. Just be aware that a bike set up well for the track ain't gonna be much fun on the road.

I also have a 1994 600SS, turned into a DD bike. It's set up for the track and that's all it get's used for. I'm not that quick on it, but if you put any of the front running DD racers such as Zimbo, Domski, Cleggy et al on it then they would beat a Gixxer thou or R1 if ridden by the average road rider. Slob crashed at Malory on a 900 Monster with me in hot pursuit on my 600SS, we had both just passed a Jap sportsbike around the outside at Gerrards and mugged a Fireblade going into Edwinas. There's a cool pic that Julie took of a Gixxer taking a spill at the hairpin, with me looking down at the rider and bike on the deck. He came up the inside of me, I left him plenty of room and it spat him off on the exit. Power is nothing without control and the ability to use it.

And then there's my 998S Bostrom which I absolutely love to bits, mainly for it's looks. Quite frankly it's an animal on the road. It turns in way too quick (I will be getting that sorted out), only feels really right at 90mph+, and really should be on a track, but there's no way it's going anywhere near one. It's not the lightest of bikes either. I think if you are considering a 916 for road use and the occasional track day, I reckon you should steer clear. By all means get one and turn it inot a track only bike but I think they are just too much for everyday road use. Someone on the DSC site was recently selling a 916 track bike for about £1600.

As others have said, the 749 is set to take a huge drop in price when the new 848 comes out early next year. To give you an idea of price, in March Riders of Bristol offered me an 18 month old 999 mono, 4k miles, alarmed, £2ks worth of race exhaust plus original, power commander, immaculate, for £8k. That's sixteen grands worth of bike for half price, 18 months old. Somebody chopped it in for a 1098. The same thing's gonna happen with the 848. If you can get on with the looks of the 749/999, and I for one love it, then I reckon this could well be the bike for you Nim.

Shandy
13-08-2007, 01:10 PM
I've been reading this one with interest so here's my two penneth worth

You get a lot for two penneth from you :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Gilps
13-08-2007, 01:13 PM
You get a lot for two penneth from you :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

You know me, cheap as chips, with the same fat content.

JerryXt
13-08-2007, 01:22 PM
My (female) HR director told me that a lot of women prefered sigles or twins to I4s.

She never did tell me why tho :fou:

singletrack
13-08-2007, 01:51 PM
My (female) HR director told me that a lot of women prefered sigles or twins to I4s.

If you can't guess we aren't telling you! :yoparty:

zxebeast
13-08-2007, 02:11 PM

it must be cause they like big thumpin pistons as opposed to weenie ones... :cool:

benson
13-08-2007, 02:20 PM
Ultimately it has the be the bike that makes you smile the most Nim - and not for the reasons alluded to in previous posts! The 749 and 999 will ceratinly be out there at more than reasonable prices come the new year but the bike has to "fit" and the only way to find out whether it does or not is to go and play on the thing...Whatever you get ride safe and happy...

Stu Pid
13-08-2007, 03:48 PM
My point exactly. I was still a c**t when I had a Monster ;)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA as you can see that made me laugh, now thats what I like, good ol' dry humour, :thumbsup:

Bodybag
13-08-2007, 04:21 PM
Hi Nim,

As has already been said by yourself and others, a 748 or 749 are probably the way to go. I've had both this year and would have either of them again. I had a 748s earlier on and now have a 749s. They both have adjustable pegs and other fancy bits on but the advantage the 749 has over the 748 is that in "S" spec the seat and tank unit move forward and backward as well to give a greater adjustment for the riders size. If you try either, get the garage to adjust it for you before you ride it as it'll make a world of difference.

Also thought I'd mention that my '53 plate 749s with 3300 miles on the clock when I got it in May was only just over £5k so a huge amount of bike for not a lot of money. It sticks with GSX-R750's on the straight up to about 130 and outdoes them on the bends. I've had 160 on the clock on mine so they're plenty quick enough. :D

slob
13-08-2007, 05:38 PM
Slob crashed at Malory on a 900 Monster with me in hot pursuit on my 600SS, we had both just passed a Jap sportsbike around the outside at Gerrards and mugged a Fireblade going into Edwinas.

Ahem... slob crashed at Mallory on a 620 Monster with you in hot pursuit on an S2R800! but we had just mugged a CBR1000RR, 999R, S4R and every other bugger we saw!

NattyBoy
13-08-2007, 05:46 PM
Ahem... slob crashed at Mallory on a 620 Monster with you in hot pursuit on an S2R800! but we had just mugged a CBR1000RR, 999R, S4R and every other bugger we saw!

lol !!! Gilps you cabbage !!!

slob
13-08-2007, 06:02 PM

yeah but at least he completed the lap!

gary tompkins
13-08-2007, 06:12 PM
Just f*ck off, I made it clear several times above that my comment was made in jest, I'm pretty confident that I'm an intelligent enough guy to not buy a bike for it's top speed; that'd be a pretty clever way to just kill yourself.

And at what point have I ever gone on about how fantastic the GSXR is? I explained that for various reasons, the bike made sense to me.

I actually logged on to the Monster forum to read a private message I'd been sent. While I was on here, I saw the thread discussing changing from a Monster to a Gixxer. Having made this change myself, I thought I would give my opinion - after all she did ask for opinions. Although I don't see why I should be justifying myself to you. Did I make any comments to you about your strange taste in transport?

What is the point in Nim starting this thread if everybody just says "Oh no no no keep a Monster, they're the best bikes in the world" - I loved my Monster, and if I had the time / space / cash for a few bikes, there would definitely be a Monster in my garage, but it isn't the "one bike" for everybody.

Whatever :rolleyes:

Gilps
13-08-2007, 06:14 PM
yeah but at least he completed the lap!

you gotta be in it to win it. when the flag drops the bs stops, etc.

PeteD
13-08-2007, 06:21 PM
Whatever :rolleyes:

Twat :chuckle:

Gilps
13-08-2007, 06:25 PM

I'm fairly sure I had switched steeds by then, but you may be right, coz if I was on the 600 you would have been chasing me.:D

Gilps
13-08-2007, 06:25 PM

but nobody likes cabbage. Oh, I get it now.:worried:

Headhunter
13-08-2007, 06:47 PM
Can I nominate this as one of the potential threads of the year for the next weekender!

Has everything:

- Info about bikes and not just Dukes
- Banter
- Two guys going head-2-head
- And has kept me and probably many others entertained.

benson
13-08-2007, 06:48 PM
Depends on how long it's boiled for!!!

Shandy
13-08-2007, 06:56 PM
Depends on how long it's boiled for!!!

Nah, cabbage is still rank then :toilet:

benson
13-08-2007, 07:03 PM
yeah - you're right.....

PeteD
13-08-2007, 07:13 PM

All my comments on this thread were meant in a friendly unbiased helpful way.

I resent somebody judging me due to my choice of motorcycle!

When I bought the Gixxer I was aware of the stereotypes, but bought the bike for the following reasons: I sold a 12 month old Z750S for £3500 and didn't want to spend more than a couple of hundred quid more than that on my new bike. Having owned a v-twin and a 4cyl bike, I decided a 4cyl suited me better, so this ruled out a Ducati. I wanted something fast and fully faired. I didn't want a revvy 600 that needed thrashing to go anywhere, and figured buying a 1000 after doing my test just a year ago was daft. Any suggestions on a better bike for me than the GSXR750 gratefully received!

I'm an intelligent, professional, educated bloke, and buying a Jap sportsbike doesn't change that. I always liked the UKMOC as being a friendly, welcoming club, and I'm surprised by the way some people (particularly one with a bike with one too many wheels) have reacted to my comments.

Cash permitting, I'll be looking at an 848 next year, and like I said earlier, if I had the space and money for a few bikes, I'd have a Monster again tomorrow!

slob
13-08-2007, 07:14 PM
I like cabbage, it's crashing I'm not so keen on.

Stu Pid
13-08-2007, 07:21 PM
Can I nominate this as one of the potential threads of the year for the next weekender!

Has everything:

- Banter

Yep, its got my vote

zxebeast
13-08-2007, 07:26 PM

Has everything:

- Banter

yeah vote for it 2 :yoparty:

Shandy
13-08-2007, 07:33 PM
I like cabbage, it's crashing I'm not so keen on.

I dont like either....lol :freak: :dizzy: :biggrin:

Scotty
13-08-2007, 07:54 PM
id rather ride a gixer than eat cabbage
or was that rather eat a gixe than ride cabbage ?

Nim
13-08-2007, 07:55 PM
"Power is nothing without control and the ability to use it.

As others have said, the 749 is set to take a huge drop in price when the new 848 comes out early next year. The same thing's gonna happen with the 848. If you can get on with the looks of the 749/999, and I for one love it, then I reckon this could well be the bike for you Nim.[/QUOTE]"

Gilp....(and i hope i dont offend anyone saying this...) i think i love you!! its true.!! :) you have just put into words what i coudnt quite say...kinda...

I need a bike that's not too much bike for me...ie not to big in size as im small and would then lack the confience to ride it well. Saw a great 749 today, but see your point about the 848.

And i need a bike that is good for road and track. Its not about the top speed for me, its about riding it bloody well and not being afraid of using the top speed well and with confidence when necesary ie on the track.

I know i keep doing this, but thanks AGAIN to all of you helping me out. Without wanting to sound really stupid, this is a huge decision for me (a bit like marriage...not that id know lol) and i really want to make the right one.

Headhunter
13-08-2007, 07:57 PM
All my comments on this thread were meant in a friendly unbiased helpful way.

Don't doubt that in any way. It is good to see a passionate, opinionated and informative discussion in one thread.

I thought both Gary's and your comments (t**t, whatever, just feck off) were hilarious. Not the sort of UKMOC friendly banter we're used to (what, what, what) , but entertaining nonetheless.

PeteD
13-08-2007, 08:00 PM
The 749 is a great bike, and one I seriously considered before going down the c**t route...

I'm the first person to admit that being able to get a bike round a corner smoothly and fast is a lot more of a challenge than hitting silly speeds in a straight line. I don't doubt for a second that a good rider on an M600 would whoop me around the bends - it's all down to practice and experience.

But don't think of changing your bike as getting married - treat it like a shag - there's lots of bikes out there and why tie yourself down to one... you can always swap it for something else if you aren't satisfied....

zxebeast
13-08-2007, 08:01 PM
Gilp....(and i hope i dont offend anyone saying this...) i think i love you!! its true.!! :)

can i add to the list

- Banter

and........... a romantic outcome :)

Nim
13-08-2007, 08:01 PM
Ooo...am i going to win a price for causing the most trouble?? im not sure how cool that is....

Can i collect my reward (a phallic shaped cabbage?) wearing 'see if you can catch my gixer/916/848/749/gilera 125 tshirt?

Nim
13-08-2007, 08:04 PM
[QUOTE.

But don't think of changing your bike as getting married - treat it like a shag - there's lots of bikes out there and why tie yourself down to one... you can always swap it for something else if you aren't satisfied....[/QUOTE]

Thats exactly what i said earlier....i havent had a bike for more than 8 months yet anyways... :) Longer term than most relationships lol, and certainly more stable....fun....exciting...bites back, but only when i know its gonna happen etc etc

PeteD
13-08-2007, 08:06 PM
[QUOTE.

But don't think of changing your bike as getting married - treat it like a shag - there's lots of bikes out there and why tie yourself down to one... you can always swap it for something else if you aren't satisfied....

Thats exactly what i said earlier....i havent had a bike for more than 8 months yet anyways... :) Longer term than most relationships lol, and certainly more stable....fun....exciting...bites back, but only when i know its gonna happen etc etc

Just make sure you are the one doing the dumping, not getting dumped...

Nim
13-08-2007, 08:07 PM
Just make sure you are the one doing the dumping, not getting dumped...

You dont think i already thought of that :)?

Thats why im not buying a 999 or similar

Stu Pid
13-08-2007, 08:10 PM
[QUOTE.

Thats exactly what i said earlier....i havent had a bike for more than 8 months yet anyways... :) Longer term than most relationships lol, and certainly more stable....fun....exciting...bites back, but only when i know its gonna happen etc etc[/QUOTE]

Awwwww, you 2 could get married and have baby gixers, theyll have little shaved heads, and thick little necks and zoom around on their tricycles

crust
13-08-2007, 08:13 PM

Has everything:

- Banter

and a large dollop of narrow minded bigotry

attitudes that keep me from wanting to bother with some UKMOC events

I've got a monster and a 996 (ok, its a bit scuffed at the moment) because sometimes its nice to go FAAAAAAST

Its a massive buzz to wind it on and feel the mid range punch, to feel it keep surging forward, on and on, vision narrowing as the edges blurr, everything focused on the now.

I dont care whether other people like it or not, its anti social, fine by me, I might die, fine, I'll have lived not existed.

Nim, buy the bike that excites you, one that you're going to sit down and have a beer just staring at, one thats going to take you places, have adventures with, one thats going to make you feel alive.

If you want a 916, get one, watch out for the later ones as they are prone to rocker wear, early ones to regulator/rectifier - though this is easily fixed £75.00.

They are stunningly beautifull, I love the looks of my 996, I even wash it.

Have a ride on a GSXR1000, they're brilliant machines (might get one myself if the 996 is a write off)

all the better because you can really **** off people. Watch them scare themselves ****less getting in over their heads in corners, nearly wipe out, then rip the paint off them as you annihilate them on the straights.

Its quite sadistic fun seeing how desperate tiny bike riders are to prove their manhood, all the better if you pretend to hang off a bit.

:)Crust

PeteD
13-08-2007, 08:16 PM

To be fair if you had a trike, you'd feel insecure too....

Nim
13-08-2007, 08:19 PM

I've got a monster and a 996 (ok, its a bit scuffed at the moment) because sometimes its nice to go FAAAAAAST

Its a massive buzz to wind it on and feel the mid range punch, to feel it keep surging forward, on and on, vision narrowing as the edges blurr, everything focused on the now.

I dont care whether other people like it or not, its anti social, fine by me, I might die, fine, I'll have lived not existed.

Nim, buy the bike that excites you, one that you're going to sit down and have a beer just staring at, one thats going to take you places, have adventures with, one thats going to make you feel alive.

If you want a 916, get one, watch out for the later ones as they are prone to rocker wear, early ones to regulator/rectifier - though this is easily fixed £75.00.

They are stunningly beautifull, I love the looks of my 996, I even wash it.

Have a ride on a GSXR1000, they're brilliant machines (might get one myself if the 996 is a write off)

all the better because you can really **** off people. Watch them scare themselves ****less getting in over their heads in corners, nearly wipe out, then rip the paint off them as you annihilate them on the straights.

Its quite sadistic fun seeing how desperate tiny bike riders are to prove their manhood, all the better if you pretend to hang off a bit.

The man has some EXCELLENT points

zxebeast
13-08-2007, 08:26 PM

will you not give any names.... go on nobodys watchin :D

Zimbo
13-08-2007, 08:31 PM

Unfair Pete. Not at all funny.

Shandy
13-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Hey Nim, have a read of this it's from the DML over the water and i think it's the most comprehensive all in the same place kinda guide ive seen on the 916 range with all the good and bad pints from a bloke at Moto Montreal Cycle,

http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=76534.0

If the link doen't work pm me an email address and i'll send the text over it's way to many words to post here.

Cheers,

Shandy

PeteD
13-08-2007, 08:35 PM
True Pete. Very funny. :chuckle:

I guess he did start with the abuse so ok...

Nim
13-08-2007, 08:36 PM
Hey Nim, have a read of this it's from the DML over the water and i think it's the most comprehensive all in the same place kinda guide ive seen on the 916 range with all the good and bad pints from a bloke at Moto Montreal Cycle,

http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=76534.0

If the link doen't work pm me an email address and i'll send the text over it's way to many words to post here.

Cheers,

Shandy

Cheers Shandy,

the link works fine...just had a scan of it, will read properly later...but from all else ive heard, it seems that a 749 mite suit me better...with less problems.

Shandy
13-08-2007, 08:42 PM
Cheers Shandy,

the link works fine...just had a scan of it, will read properly later...but from all else ive heard, it seems that a 749 mite suit me better...with less problems.

No probs, i want a 749 too, just don't buy the one i want ;)

With my 916 in bits and looking like being that way for a while i'm missing superbikesville :grump: although i intend getting some extra rider training before getting back on one as it's a different world from the monster, some courses like JP did sound just what i need :cool:

Nim
13-08-2007, 08:44 PM
No probs, i want a 749 too, just don't buy the one i want ;)

With my 916 in bits and looking like being that way for a while i'm missing superbikesville :grump: although i intend getting some extra rider training before getting back on one as it's a different world from the monster, some courses like JP did sound just what i need :cool:

yeah, i def want to do more rider training when i get a new bike. Ill try not to buy the 749 you want....ill post a pic up if and when i get one!

Gimley
13-08-2007, 08:50 PM
"Its quite sadistic fun seeing how desperate tiny bike riders are to prove their manhood"

Is that a generalist dig at Short Bike riders? :look:

if so, then surely
"then rip the paint off them as you annihilate them on the straights"

is a Big bike rider trying to prove his manhood :D

G

crust
13-08-2007, 09:00 PM

I like Gary's trike, not necesarily my thing but something I can appreciate and admire the time, effort and care thats gone into its creation

:) Crust

Stu Pid
13-08-2007, 09:13 PM

Not taking sides or anything but its all a bit tongue in cheek though really eh, its just a bit of good old banter

Zimbo
14-08-2007, 05:40 AM
Doesn't seem like that from where I'm standing.

zxebeast
14-08-2007, 06:33 AM
i think Gary is one of the most helpful members here n if i thought he had been offended i wud think differently... so far i think hes above it n dont have anythin to prove... i dont think a couple of swear words are gonna change that... i thought they added to the entertainment.. anyway ride free n ride whatever you like :)

AndyG
14-08-2007, 06:35 AM
Have a 620 Monster and a GSX R 750, when you go for a ride on the monster and stop at a cafe, you check the stand is down on the monster, check nothing around it, not in direct sunlight, on the way into the cafe I keep on turning round to check its OK, sit somewhere I can keep i eye on it.
On the GSXR I arrive at the same cafe, much sooner. Leave the bike and go straight in, sit anywhere. But it has to be said on my return I KNOW the GSXR will start, it will get me to my destination, today tomorrow and the days after with little in the way of love and care.
Both great bikes, but oh so different.

Zimbo
14-08-2007, 06:39 AM
i think Gary is one of the most helpful members here n if i thought he had been offended i wud think differently... so far i think hes above it n dont have anythin to prove... i dont think a couple of swear words are gonna change that... i thought they added to the entertainment.. anyway ride free n ride whatever you like :)

Very true. However, taking the **** out of a disabled biker for owning a trike is, in my book, about as low as you can get.
I agree with Crust, Gary's trike is a lovely machine, and I like both the bike and it's rider.

Is this forum moderated anymore by the way? It seems to me that some comments are getting a bit personal. I accept that on Visordown, but I don't believe it is appropriate on UKMOC.

zxebeast
14-08-2007, 06:42 AM
Very true. However, taking the **** out of a disabled biker for owning a trike is, in my book, about as low as you can get.

if pete's comments were aimed in that direction i agree with you

Zimbo
14-08-2007, 06:44 AM
if pete's comments were aimed in that direction i agree with you

It may be that I'm being over-sensitive, but that's how I read it at least.

PeteD
14-08-2007, 06:48 AM

Excuse me, Gary made some pretty crappy comments, which I took offence to! I can understand if my bike isn't his cup of tea, but to stereotype ever Gixxer rider is out of order. His comments suggesting I shouldn't be posting on this forum really pissed me off also when I was just trying to be helpful.

And is this political correctness gone wrong or what? - at no point did I take the **** out of Gary for being disabled, and if it came across that way, then please accept my apologies. If he can have a pop at my choice of bike, I'm damn well going to have a pop back!!

Zimbo
14-08-2007, 06:56 AM
Like I say, I may be being over-sensitive. This is, however, the monster owner's club, not a general bike forum, so you should probably expect negative comments on your choice of bike when compared to monsters - we are after all passionate about them, that's why we're here. Gary is a member of very long standing and is well liked and respected within the club, as is his trike, so don't be surprised if people support him over a gixxer rider, I certainly will. Not having a personal pop, that's just the way I see it.

sadbiker
14-08-2007, 06:56 AM
Peeps need to remember that sometimes when you type something even e-mails, they are only words and can't express emotion, jokingly or not.

Other people could take it the wrong way. It could be good to reread your message before clicking on post, just to make sure you are happy it won't offend others not just the intended person.

I am with Graham on this one, sometimes we can get the wrong take on what is completly harmless / good humour between mates.

As for trikes I seen a few good examples around the South West with disabled riders and have always thought "good one", its great to see some of the engineering that's gone into getting some bikes turned into 3 wheelers.

PeteD
14-08-2007, 07:06 AM
Like I say, I may be being over-sensitive. This is, however, the monster owner's club, not a general bike forum, so you should probably expect negative comments on your choice of bike when compared to monsters - we are after all passionate about them, that's why we're here. Gary is a member of very long standing and is well liked and respected within the club, as is his trike, so don't be surprised if people support him over a gixxer rider, I certainly will. Not having a personal pop, that's the way it is here.

Yeah you were being over sensitive ;) But I can see how my comments could have been taken as bang out of order. I appreciate this is a Monster club - and that certain members will think the Monster is the worlds greatest motorcycle. Some people are able to look at it a bit more objectively, as many replies have shown. I've not asked for one person to 'support' me - I've just given unbiased comments, having owned both bikes. I certainly don't expect to be spoken to like that without having a go back. For a well respected member of long standing, his comments were a bit embarassing...

Headhunter
14-08-2007, 07:09 AM
Pete, the comment did come across badly. Maybe you didn't intend it to be, but as sadbiker rightly points out maybe it should have been re-read beofre posting.

The fact that Gary is a great bloke / fantastic member of this club is secondary. No trike rider deserves the comment you made in any way or form.

PeteD
14-08-2007, 07:11 AM
No trike rider deserves the comment you made in any way or form.

Oh get off your high horse, I've had more abuse on here for owning a Jap bike than I gave him for owning a trike!

sadbiker
14-08-2007, 07:15 AM
Could we have a endex at this point and just get on with the simple virtues of riding bikes, 2 wheels 3 wheels etc.

:spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin:

Nim
14-08-2007, 07:58 AM
Yes.....puurrrrrleasssseeee....i think the whole idea of being on ANY motorbike forum is that we all have a passion for motorcycles, whether its for gixers, ducatis, harleys....i dont care....i respect everyone for what they love, and appreciate advice from a gixer owner. ill be really sad if i become the owner of a different bike at some point and suddenly am told that i deserve to be treated differently (badly?).

Commmmeeeeee on guuuuuyyyyyyyyssssssssss.....lets show some luuurrrrrrvvvvveeeeee....i wanna see everyone holding up 2 fingers (no, not THAT way around) and wishing peace to all jap/italian/english/US bikes...OK??

(Otherwise you'll have me to deal with....and im sure you don't want that...those who have met me know how big and terrifying i can truly be lol)

crust
14-08-2007, 04:03 PM
I agree with Crust, Gary's trike is a lovely machine, and I like both the bike and it's rider.

Is this forum moderated anymore by the way? It seems to me that some comments are getting a bit personal. I accept that on Visordown, but I don't believe it is appropriate on UKMOC.

I'm one of the moderators of this section.

Show me where anyone has taken the **** out of a 'disabled' biker for owning a trike?

Gary's comments were fairly inflammatory and invited a response and he got one.

I'm sure Gary is capable of standing up for himself. If he feels the comment is out of order he can pm me.

I find it sad, the narrow mindedness of some of the posters on here. Nim expressed a preference for a particular bike and an owner responded.

He was then rounded on and insulted. Nice attitude.

Yes, this a Monster site but does that mean we have to be blinkered?

I was hoping this thread would rise above Sun reader level but it hasnt, much as I dislike moderating if Nims warning isnt heeded then the thread lock button will be pushed.

Last thing we need is a scary woman on the loose!

:thumbsdown: Crust

Headhunter
14-08-2007, 04:20 PM
Oh get off your high horse, I've had more abuse on here for owning a Jap bike than I gave him for owning a trike!

Isn't yours higher - being a jap owner and all.

For clarity this is a joke and not a backstab in case it's read in the wrong manner etc etc.

Stu Pid
14-08-2007, 04:28 PM

Show me where anyone has taken the **** out of a 'disabled' biker for owning a trike?

I'm sure Gary is capable of standing up for himself. If he feels the comment is out of order he can pm me.

I find it sad, the narrow mindedness of some of the posters on here. Nim expressed a preference for a particular bike and an owner responded.

I was hoping this thread would rise above Sun reader level but it hasnt, much as I dislike moderating if Nims warning isnt heeded then the thread lock button will be pushed.

WELL SAID, HERE HERE :thumbsup:

Nim
14-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Soooo....in the spirit of me buying a new bike, i have narrowed it down to a choice of 2 749 bikes and standard and a 749s....im chatting about it in another thread, so i wont go on about it here....of course, in about 9 months time ill probably be changing that too, and the thread craziness can start again. I look forward to it :)

and Pete, if you ever wanna go for a spin and swap bikes for a bit, that would be cool too :)

zxebeast
14-08-2007, 04:42 PM
yeah i like ALL motorbikes, n of course that includes trikes too, especially when they r as awesome as Gary's :thumbsup:

n i support everybody's right to ride whatever the hell they want... its the all seein all carin nanny state we have to fight against... not amongst us, lovers of individual freedom... (clappin starts here, thanks) :D

CK & AK
14-08-2007, 05:14 PM
Hi Nim,

Just another burds view - but I really enjoyed the 749 & 999 when I took them out for a test ride when they first came out - both a lot lighter to handle (so more lady friendly) than the 748/9** series. I didnt go for either in the end tho - as my back had a 'reoccurrence' from the past, so brought the M1000 in ealy 2004, and still love it :)

Nim - happy shopping

Charlotte

ps: those who say a M 695 wont do in excess of 130ish - our 2005 620 HAS been maxed out (in 6th gear) topping just over 140:p
We have had 620 road bikes do more than 130 on the road (clocked by 3 x someones who shouldnt have ;) ). However, it is very silly & also irresponsible to try this on the public highway so leave it for a GP track only - we do :D

Nim
14-08-2007, 05:18 PM
Hi Nim,

Just another burds view - but I really enjoyed the 749 & 999 when I took them out for a test ride when they first came out - both a lot lighter to handle (so more lady friendly) than the 748/9** series. I didnt go for either in the end tho - as my back had a 'reoccurrence' from the past, so brought the M1000 in ealy 2004, and still love it :)

Nim - happy shopping

Charlotte

ps: those who say a M 695 wont do in excess of 130ish - our 2005 620 HAS been maxed out (in 6th gear) topping just over 140:p
We have had 620 road bikes do more than 130 on the road (clocked by 3 x someones who shouldnt have ;) ). However, it is very silly & also irresponsible to try this on the public highway so leave it for a GP track only - we do :D

Thanks! I cant wait for new bike....

And im pretty sure i have done 150ish on my M695, but of course its not something i want to be shouting about...(altho, putting it here is pretty much that) :)

CK & AK
14-08-2007, 05:26 PM
duplicated the post!

CK & AK
14-08-2007, 05:28 PM
And im pretty sure i have done 150ish on my M695, but of course its not something i want to be shouting about...(altho, putting it here is pretty much that) :)

time to start a new thread with that little nugget methinks.......

So - you must be on a well kitted up 695, with top mounted steering damper, (the bike WILL shake its head over about 132mph recorded) and have your bike modded with the fuelling changed - maybe an FIM or well set up PC, the camshaft changed to custom, the porting of the valves or bigger valves fitted, and a wee bit more maybe?....perhaps some fairings for the aerodynamics too?
Maybe on a dyno, but otherwise not m'dear :)
On the track about it would see about 140 MAX for a 695 with all the above mods & a very experienced rider on board.
HTH :)

dlloyduk
14-08-2007, 06:04 PM
Hummm-Was going to look at a New Triumfy thingy at the weekend but better not having now read all this! I sometimes bump into Scotty on the hill and he will beat me with his sticks!

gary tompkins
14-08-2007, 06:09 PM

Fair comment Simon,

I'll offer up the peace pipe up the Pete D, and apologise for taking this thread in the direction it went. As for the comments on the Trike (Zimbo & others) I couldn't give a toss TBH.... I thought you would know me well enough by now to realise it takes a LOT more than that to rattle my cage.

Maybe when/if Pete D ever meets me face to face he'll understand why?

Anyway... once again apologies to all concerned... etc... etc

Oh sorry nearly forgot....... :)

Didge
14-08-2007, 06:28 PM
I love the looks of my 996, I even wash it.

Sorry Crust, that's pushing the realms of reality, and I for one don't believe it.
The words 'Crust' and 'washed bike' don't sit too well in the same sentence.:confused:

As for our Gary, he's just a mono-ped on a tri-cycle, but don't P*ss him off, as he may well evolve into something far more dangerous.:worried:

Gary T in the future.......possibly.

http://i12.tinypic.com/5z2o049.jpg

Didge looks around, and buggers off a bit sharpish like.:look:

Nim
14-08-2007, 07:14 PM
time to start a new thread with that little nugget methinks.......

So - you must be on a well kitted up 695, with top mounted steering damper, (the bike WILL shake its head over about 132mph recorded) and have your bike modded with the fuelling changed - maybe an FIM or well set up PC, the camshaft changed to custom, the porting of the valves or bigger valves fitted, and a wee bit more maybe?....perhaps some fairings for the aerodynamics too?

HTH :)

How did you know?? :)

Zimbo
14-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Fair comment Simon,

I'll offer up the peace pipe up the Pete D, and apologise for taking this thread in the direction it went. As for the comments on the Trike (Zimbo & others) I couldn't give a toss TBH.... I thought you would know me well enough by now to realise it takes a LOT more than that to rattle my cage.

Maybe when/if Pete D ever meets me face to face he'll understand why?

Anyway... once again apologies to all concerned... etc... etc

Oh sorry nearly forgot....... :)

Seems quite fair, I'll not be making any further contribution to this thread either. Didn't think you'd be that bothered Gary, but it bothered me, that's all.
Back to normal service . . .

benson
14-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Are we due a race report ZImbo - now that would be quality reading!

PeteD
15-08-2007, 05:08 PM
and Pete, if you ever wanna go for a spin and swap bikes for a bit, that would be cool too :)

Sounds like a fine plan :)

I'll offer up the peace pipe up the Pete D

And I'll happily have a toke on it :)