PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me...............

CK & AK
07-08-2007, 12:59 PM
somewhere on the coast to stay for a couple of nights.
Not got lots of dosh, but ok for smallish hotel I'd hope.
Pref within Southern England from Cornwall to Kent, from S.Wales to Norfolk.

Ideas anyone???? :confused:

C:)

DefTrap
07-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Southwold area, Suffolk coast.
- Nice and unspoilt quaint seaside town
- Blummin lovely beer :booze:
- B&B rather than hotels - I can rec. a lovely one on a farm for 60 quid for two. Hotels are way more expensive for IME a lot less.

CK & AK
07-08-2007, 02:11 PM
D'y know, someone has just mentioned exactly the same place on Visordown ;) Not having been there before, is it a 'flat sea' front, or a craggy cliffy place? - as am looking for the latter if poss

Only reason I mentioned Hotels, is I really want to be looking at the sea when I go night-nights :D and there isnt many B & B's right on most sea-fronts.

Fanks, keep 'em comin :cool:

DefTrap
07-08-2007, 02:22 PM
D'y know, someone has just mentioned exactly the same place on Visordown ;) Not having been there before, is it a 'flat sea' front, or a craggy cliffy place? - as am looking for the latter if poss

Only reason I mentioned Hotels, is I really want to be looking at the sea when I go night-nights :D and there isnt many B & B's right on most sea-fronts.

Fanks, keep 'em comin :cool:

I know, I'm on VD n'all. :)

The Suffolk coast has both (as a lot of it is being washed into the North Sea). Southwold is kinda craggy on the front, Aldeburgh is kinda flat (nice little town, mind). You're right about the Hotels s'pose, just that you get far more at your B&B for your money.(I'm not including GuestHouses here, that's a different matter altogether). To be fair most Seafront hotels and B&Bs are going to be chocka at this time of year.

psychlist
07-08-2007, 03:56 PM
We've got a spare room and it's only 3 miles to the nearest beach :on:

Nonnie
07-08-2007, 04:19 PM
Southwold is brilliant!

It's got a pier and a mechanically genius amusement arcade type thing half way along it. I don't know anywhere to stay though.

You can go on an RIB for £16, total bargainium.

Fabulous pubs, excellent food.

We are about 16 miles away from there but I am shortly returning to the Motherland with the little leprachauns for our Summer Shindig.

It's always windy in Southwold though. Aldeburgh is terribly upmarket, went there for my Hen weekend, which either shows you that NO it is not terribly upmarket or we managed to evade capture. Plenty of b and b's there, fabulous chip shop and quite a lot to see really for a small place. Not far from Snape where there is shopping, tea shops, concert hall and river trips.

Else head up North Norfolk, Hunstanton is OK but shuts at 10pm, Sherringham, Cromer and so forth are seriously dull. Pretty but dull. Nice roads along the North Norfolk coast if you taking bikes though.

Hope you have fun whatever you decide to do!

benson
07-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Southwold is fab and the sea is lovely and the rides out on the rigid inflatable are great fun indeed to catch the waves!!! Aldeburgh is more upmarket but as nonnie said, we brought the tone several tones lower with incredible ease and weren't asked to leave!!!

Hastings and St Leonard's have plenty of sea front hotels and B&Bs but are a bit chavvy from memory!!!

Wherever you go have a lovely time and happy biking.
xxx

Kiwi
07-08-2007, 05:50 PM
southampton alcantara guest house

clean tidy reasonably priced excellent breakfast

owner is / was a ducati fan and would probably arrange secure overnight off street parking

Nickj
07-08-2007, 06:29 PM
Ahh Yep towering crags there for sure :D Nice and close to the Southdowns, IMHO much better than the coast and lots of interesting roads to try... A few good pubs too but not sure about HSB, whats the word on that psych?? Gales always did a good brewery tour :drunk:

Nickj
07-08-2007, 06:30 PM
<< Would have offered as we were virtually on the coast till the floods subsided hehehe

kathb
07-08-2007, 07:58 PM
Have a look on www.smoothhound.co.uk to find hotels b&bs etc for wherever you fancy going.

Bodybag
11-08-2007, 03:50 PM
There's a couple of hotels I can highly recommend in Alverstoke on the outskirts of Gosport. Just across the harbour from Portsmouth.

The Alverbank Hotel. Used to be a royal hunting lodge.
The Old Lodge Hotel. In the village centre next door to an old church.

Both very nice. I've stayed at both and the service is excellent. You have all the sites and sounds of the maritime museums:

The Submarine Museum - Gosport
Explosion, The history of Naval Firepower - Gosport
HMS Victory - Portsmouth
The Royal Marine Museum and D-Day museum in Southsea.

Portsmouth and Southsea are accessible via the Gosport-Portsmouth ferry and if you're not interested in all that lot, the beach in Alverstoke is nice and a couple of miles long with views straight across to the Isle of Wigget!! :D

Oh and Gosport is also home to Europes largest private marina if you like sailing boats (Camper & Nicholson).

Duncan
11-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Knowing the pair of you, why not try Alcatraz, nice coastal location, free bed and board and great views of San Francisco.

walkingpictures
11-08-2007, 11:09 PM
Southwold is brilliant!

Fabulous pubs, excellent food

Agreed,I have drunk in every pub in Southwold :thumbsup: great place

Kimbo :drunk:

gremlin
17-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Southwold is wonderful, Aldburgh has been used as a base for Colin Forbes books and you can stay in the Brudenell Hotel which is mentioned. North Norfolk there's a lovely hotel at the end of Holkham Hall drive and opposite the drive to the beach called the Victoria, does really good food apparantly or try Byfords in Holt which is a dear little town not far from the coast easy reach of Cley and Blakeney it's advertised as a posh B&B but the owner is a lovely chap. Or nearer Hunstanton there is the Hoste Arms in Burnham Market. The North Norfolk coast road is really good if you're biking it so many pretty villages and pretty good coastline and lots of places selling top notch seafood.

walkingpictures
17-08-2007, 11:37 PM
Only reason I mentioned Hotels, is I really want to be looking at the sea when I go night-nights

Charlotte,surely you should only have eyes for Alan when you go night-nights :) long time no see hun

Kimbo xxxx