PDA

View Full Version : California Superbike School....thoughts??

Nim
05-08-2007, 09:23 PM
So i was checking out the various schools, and i saw on another site that this one was recommended....what do any of you think?

Its bl*@dy expensive, but i guess worth it?

Since i have no job at the mo, i thought id give the credit card a good beating and try improve my riding :)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated here!

Scotty
05-08-2007, 09:27 PM
errm all depends what you want to be good at in a way good trakc rideing ? - superbike school

good at road rideing perhaps some advanced rider training

also maybe some reading errm ive heard of some keith code book's which could well be worth a read before a superbike school

and on the bok front theres that road craft that the police 'endorse' or something

id also comment that there are conflicting views on how to ride 'better' so personally id take reverything with a pinch of salt / hear everything out then make your own mind up

Scotty
05-08-2007, 09:29 PM
in fact its kinda of an open questio nin a way

what do you want out of life

humm well maybe not that open , what do you want out of rideing your bike ?

personally id go for 'having fun' what that exactly means im not sure though

so much so ive not been enjoying my rideing much this year and i think its because ive been 'trying too hard'

i wish i could relax more i ride much better then like

Chappers
05-08-2007, 09:30 PM
Myself and Red were only disgussing this yesterday, we're looking at doing some sort of riding course that shows us how to approach corners/bends/twists more confidently and flowing as we have a habit of slamming on the anchors and bricking it round a corner in the wrong gear :look:

Red did mention California but I thought that was more for 'racing' style of riding :scratch:

Gilps
06-08-2007, 04:47 AM
I did levels 1 & 2 back to back earlier this year. There is some useful stuff in there but a hell of a lot to take in. It actually slowed me down for a while, and I think it still has, as there is so much to think about before it becomes natural. My advice Nim is do a few more trackdays, get the instructors to take you out for free and maybe think about CSS next year.
CSS does work for both road and track, but I think that you have to be ready for CSS too. In hindsight I could have probably left it until next year, but it has stopped me crashing on track. I now know why I lost the front at Brands earlier this year, and it saved my arse at Castle Combe last week when the front went again and I recovered it, so money well spent I suppose.

Guzzirider
06-08-2007, 06:19 AM
I'm doing the Hottrax academy next Monday because I want to improve my track skills. Its just an add on to their usual day so probably is not as intensive as the California Superbike school but its onlt £39 extra so I'll give it a go.

Nim
06-08-2007, 04:06 PM
Thanks everyone.....i think that more track days is the way to go for now.... i find that due to near death accident a few years ago, i tend to be a little nervous on occasion and therefore prob dont ride as well as i should....

more track days HERE I COME.....

Nim
06-08-2007, 04:07 PM
Myself and Red were only disgussing this yesterday, we're looking at doing some sort of riding course that shows us how to approach corners/bends/twists more confidently and flowing as we have a habit of slamming on the anchors and bricking it round a corner in the wrong gear :look:

Red did mention California but I thought that was more for 'racing' style of riding :scratch:

Lemme know what you guys plan to do and mayeb ill joint you if its near london (cos thats where i live!)....thats my problem too!

Chappers
06-08-2007, 04:59 PM
Lemme know what you guys plan to do and mayeb ill joint you if its near london (cos thats where i live!)....thats my problem too!

Will do, Red is in Peterborough and I'm in Manchester but I'll travel to where ever as not bothered.

queen_gpants
06-08-2007, 05:18 PM
Definitely do some trackdays, book yourself into the novice group, take your time and go at your own pace, it's not a race afterall.

There should be instructors, make use of them, they're free and they're not just there to teach you how to get your knee down! They'll give you advice about cornering, braking, all sorts.

Trackdays are a great way of getting to know your own limits and your bikes, the more you do the more confidence you will gain and eventually you will be able to put this into practice on the road.

I've done about 30 now and I love them, I'd rather spend my cash on one than the CSS.

Advanced courses are good too, most schools will have lessons where you can go out one to one with an instructor for a couple of hours with intercoms, I know a few people who have done them. There are also the IAM courses which get a very good rating.

David Matthews
06-08-2007, 05:29 PM
The Hopp Rider Training that I mentioned in another thread has a good reputation. They cater for all abilities and are less intensive than California Superbike School.

http://www.hoppridertraining.co.uk/

Nim
06-08-2007, 05:48 PM
The Hopp Rider Training that I mentioned in another thread has a good reputation. They cater for all abilities and are less intensive than California Superbike School.

http://www.hoppridertraining.co.uk/

cheers for that :)

i have checked them out and they look great

gjfevans
06-08-2007, 06:20 PM
There is a DVD in this months Fast Bikes showing how Califonia School work, it may help you make a decision

Nim
06-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Rock n roll....ill check it out. altho i just spend 160 squid booking another track day (brands) so it may have to wait (till new plastic card thing with little numbers comes through the hole in my front door next week :))

TP-996
06-08-2007, 07:24 PM
So i was checking out the various schools, and i saw on another site that this one was recommended....what do any of you think?

Its bl*@dy expensive, but i guess worth it?

Since i have no job at the mo, i thought id give the credit card a good beating and try improve my riding :)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated here!

Hi Nim,

Yes the CSS is not cheap, but the level of instruction is very high. Of course it is, I'm one of the coaches! :D

The CSS teach skills that can be applied to the road as well as the track such as visual and bike control skills and you're taught that how specific actions that you make on the bike affect the bike and how to recognise them. There's loads more to it, as some people here who've done it will attest.

We also offer other programs in conjunction with some of the magazines that may benefit that aren't the same sort of level. If you're interested I'm more than happy to have a chat over the phone. If you are drop me a PM with a number and I'll give you a call tomorrow?

Cheers

Tony

Nim
06-08-2007, 07:34 PM
Hi Nim,

Yes the CSS is not cheap, but the level of instruction is very high. Of course it is, I'm one of the coaches! :D

The CSS teach skills that can be applied to the road as well as the track such as visual and bike control skills and you're taught that how specific actions that you make on the bike affect the bike and how to recognise them. There's loads more to it, as some people here who've done it will attest.

We also offer other programs in conjunction with some of the magazines that may benefit that aren't the same sort of level. If you're interested I'm more than happy to have a chat over the phone. If you are drop me a PM with a number and I'll give you a call tomorrow?

Cheers

Tony

Hey Tony, that would be great! I will PM you now!

TP-996
06-08-2007, 07:44 PM
Hey Tony, that would be great! I will PM you now!

No worries, Your inbox is full so I can't reply!

Got your number so I'll give you a buzz tomorrow.

Ciao ciao

Gilps
06-08-2007, 08:07 PM
No worries, Your inbox is full so I can't reply!

Got your number so I'll give you a buzz tomorrow.

Ciao ciao

Hiya TP. Are you on commission? I didn't realise you lurked on here too. And what's that about with your signature. Talk about hanging on to former glories.
Seriously Nim, Tony has been known to talk some sense. He gave me some good advice earlier in the year which quickened me up a little.

TP-996
06-08-2007, 08:25 PM
Hiya TP. Are you on commission? I didn't realise you lurked on here too. And what's that about with your signature. Talk about hanging on to former glories.
Seriously Nim, Tony has been known to talk some sense. He gave me some good advice earlier in the year which quickened me up a little.

Gudday Gilps :D

I haven't been on here for ages but I got a nudge to check this thread.

As for past glories, I'm trying to line something up ... watch this space ;)

Don't call it a comeback! :D

CK & AK
06-08-2007, 08:30 PM
Don't call it a comeback! :D

as long as its not anything else eh? ;)

ello TP :D

TP-996
06-08-2007, 08:52 PM
as long as its not anything else eh? ;)

ello TP :D

The cheek!

:twak:

Guzzirider
17-08-2007, 05:51 AM
I'm doing the Hottrax academy next Monday because I want to improve my track skills. Its just an add on to their usual day so probably is not as intensive as the California Superbike school but its onlt £39 extra so I'll give it a go.

I did 3 sessions on this academy then dipped out and joined the regularly track day group. Far too many riders on the track, too many different abilities on track at one time and basically complete chaos -riders 4 abreast all taking different lines being overtaken by faster guys.

Will give CSS a go I think.

singletrack
17-08-2007, 06:29 AM
I'm hoping to do CSS on 2nd October - I want to improve my speed and confidence into corners. I just need to get some full-zip leathers first.

Edit:

Oh pooh I,ve just checked and it's fully booked now:scratch:

slob
17-08-2007, 06:55 AM
I'm hoping to do CSS on 2nd October - I want to improve my speed and confidence into corners. I just need to get some full-zip leathers first.

Edit:

Oh pooh I,ve just checked and it's fully booked now:scratch:

Always worth ringing and talking to someone, if you're available for short notice cancellations.

singletrack
17-08-2007, 07:42 AM
Always worth ringing and talking to someone, if you're available for short notice cancellations.

Thanks Slob - I have just done that. Fingers crossed someone else can't make it on 2nd.

crust
17-08-2007, 02:05 PM
have a good read of these peoples website

if you've ever seen police motorcyclists 'making progress' then you'll know how smooth and fast they are whilst being safe at the same time.

why not get trained by the same people?

http://www.rapidtraining.co.uk/e/home.htm

and reasonably local to you as well

:) Crust