PDA

View Full Version : Sluggish starting

DefTrap
05-08-2007, 10:29 AM
My, new to me, m750 is a sluggish starter. By that I mean pushing the starter turns the engine over once, just. Okay, it starts fine, just makes me wonder what would happen on a cold day? Is this normal? Battery is, supposedly, less than 6 months old, seems ok.

Scotty
05-08-2007, 10:40 AM
umm still sounds like a weak battery break out the multimeter and check the voltage, and when its running just to see if the reg/rec is nackered or not

Nickj
05-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Mine was doing the same, it usually starts first time so kinda crept up on me.
The previous owner had kept the battery on one of the optimiser chargers and only used the bike as a sunny evening visit the pub tool so hadn't noticed any problem.
Once started the volts came up nicely and were stable as revs increased so rectifier was good which left the battery as the culprit. Measured out at about 12.2-.4 V after a reasonable run good indicator of no charge or stuffed battery.
Leaving the battery (probably 5yr old original) out of the bike for just over 24 hours resulted in a voltage reading of a gnats whisker over 0 V :eyepopping:

Getting a new one was a pain, it's a mount on its side sealed type. New one is much nicer and the motor actually spins on the button, previously I think it turned one piston past TDC maybe even both on a really good day, just enough to fire up the engine.

Nickj
05-08-2007, 06:25 PM
BTW got it from MDS batteries, next day delivery.
Call as the bike list seems to miss the 750IE, only has M750's which have a 'normally' mounted battery.
Its a non vented battery type. You fill it with acid (supplied), has a wick type material between plates, seal it up , quick charge and you get instant starter motor frenzy/nirvana