PDA

View Full Version : New bike?

queen_gpants
01-08-2007, 11:50 AM
I am thinking of buying a new bike (well not brand new but newish) and have got my eye on a BMW F650 GS like this....

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j235/queen_gravelpants/RHS2003F650GS.jpg

I'm not sure if I am gonna sell the monster, I'm hoping to keep it for now but just wondered IF I did sell it what sort of money could I expect to get for it?

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j235/queen_gravelpants/Ducati%20Monster/rightside.jpg

Its a 2002 model with the ST2 frame (it was registered July 2003, its on a 53 plate) 900 sie in dark metallic blue with silver frame and wheels.

High level brushed aluminium Marvings (E stamped with removable baffles) the pipework and cans are one piece so they look lovely and sound awesome - I also have the standard cans which were taken off as soon as I bought the bike. I will probably sell the cans separately as they cost around £470 from Spareshack.

It was bought off Diogenes on here in April 2004, it was only 8 months old and had 1700 on the clock.

Full Ducati service history, IF I sell it it will have a full service, belts and valve clearances done and a new MOT and tax.

Mileage is under 5k (cant remember exactly), its hardly been ridden in the last year because I have been ill and its kept in a clean dry garage.

Very clean condition apart from a little bit of engine paint flaking on the front cylinder head (but hey they all get it sooner or later)

It's been well loved and well looked after.

So question is what sort of money could I expect to get for it privately?

benson
01-08-2007, 12:20 PM
Can't help you with the price but I had a 650 GS which I sold to make way for the Hyper...I loved the beemer - did exactly what it said on the tin and was a faithful commute bike for three winters. They're craking little workshorses but I would keep the monnie if you could because to me the beemer lacks character which is such a plus point with the Ducati...

queen_gpants
01-08-2007, 12:32 PM
Did you do any off roading with it Rach?

Thats one of the reasons I want one, I really fancy the dakar or the 1150gs but my little legs wont have it and the 1150 is 250kg too heavy for me !

THe 650 is the right height and weight and I can trick it up a bit, get some spare wheels and knobblies and start having some adventures.

I've just registered on the UKGS'er forum and there's people riding cross country across snowdonia and through rivers and I want to have a go!

The picture I posted is of a bike for sale at the moment on a 03 plate for 2k, I cant buy it till the flat has been sold tho but for that price I could keep the monster it would be silly not too! I can still go out and terrorise car dirvers when the mood takes me then! :chuckle:

JerryXt
01-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Did you do any off roading with it Rach?

Thats one of the reasons I want one, I really fancy the dakar or the 1150gs but my little legs wont have it and the 1150 is 250kg too heavy for me !

THe 650 is the right height and weight and I can trick it up a bit, get some spare wheels and knobblies and start having some adventures.

I've just registered on the UKGS'er forum and there's people riding cross country across snowdonia and through rivers and I want to have a go!

I got the Xt for commuting on - loads more fun than the baby GS and a LOT faster. It might be lighter, which might be useful for cross-country drops. Cheaper too. Ms Thumper here had one too and may be able to offer more advice.

queen_gpants
01-08-2007, 12:53 PM
I'm not buying it to commute on, I have a car for that and besides I'm self employed and my clients would freak at me turning up to a job in leathers!

I'm buying it to off road and do some serious travelling around europe and north africa and have some adventures.

Anyway this post is not about the BMW it's about what price can I get for my monster IF I was to sell it?

katana
01-08-2007, 12:54 PM
That and the aprillia are built at the same factory in Italy.

I found it very bouncy but amusing non the less, try and get a belt drive one. No chains no oiling and alot less hassle.

katana
01-08-2007, 12:55 PM
I'm not buying it to commute on, I have a car for that and besides I'm self employed and my clients would freak at me turning up to a job in leathers!

I'm buying it to off road and do some serious travelling around europe and north africa and have some adventures.

Anyway this post is not about the BMW it's about what price can I get for my monster IF I was to sell it?

Then i would say XT or Something by MZ.

Or do the BMW offroad day, expensive but get to ride BMW's to see what you like.

benson
01-08-2007, 12:59 PM
I did Celeste - through Epping forest on the road tyers and they were actually more than capable for the tiny tiny bit of mud I went through!!!

queen_gpants
01-08-2007, 01:01 PM
I did Celeste - through Epping forest on the road tyers and they were actually more than capable for the tiny tiny bit of mud I went through!!!

ha ha ha ha thanks hun !

JerryXt
01-08-2007, 01:22 PM

Ouch! <picks self up off floor/>. Monnie looks pretty.

queen_gpants
01-08-2007, 01:28 PM
Ouch! <picks self up off floor/>. Monnie looks pretty.

LOL sorry Jerry I wasnt being spiteful honest!

I do appreciate peoples advice but I just want someone to give me a rough idea of what they would pay for my monnie if I sold it.

I've made my mind up about the BMW, hubby is getting the 1150GS which I would love but short legs and heavy bike are not a good combination for off roading, my neoghbour has one as well so already made my mind up in that respect but I have a terrible habit of keeping bikes that are just gonna sit there and gather dust and its a waste and takes up too much space in the garage.

Having said that tho, I do have a hooligan streak in me and need to go out and have a fast blat every once in a while and I know the BMW wont satisfy that so chances are I'm gonna hold onto the monster, I'm just testing the waters really.

Chappers
01-08-2007, 01:42 PM
Well, I've tried looking on Parkers to get a rough price for your bike but it doesn't recognise there being a 900 on anything more than a 2001 plate :scratch:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/motorbikes/used-prices/Valuation.aspx?plate=67&deriv=4181

I'd probably say about £3000 as standard with average mileage but I'm no expert.

KEEP IT! :thumbsup:

Kato
01-08-2007, 01:44 PM
I know of a imaculate 51 plate S I.E with 3,800 miles on the clock full DSH a One owner machine!! thats up for £3,795, hope that gives you a clue what to ask for...

queen_gpants
01-08-2007, 01:51 PM
Thanks for that guys, it does help.

I have the same problem Hayley with insurance, the 2002 900 sie was different to the 2001 model as it had a newer frame from the ST2/4, different suspension - the 01 has Ohlins whereas the 2002 has Showa, I have to insure it as a monster 900 metallic which is probably wrong but there you go !

If I can only expect to get around 2800 I'm keeping it, its such a fabulous bike I couldnt bring myself to sell it for that so sod it I'll have 2 bikes, I'll just have to buy a house with a BIG garage!

benson
01-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Glad you aren't parting with it Celeste and I think you'll have a laugh with the beemer off road - it gets consistently good write ups - my legs were about 3 inches too short for the daakar but the gs was just as good and once the ABS is uncoupled you'll be locking the wheels and having fun with the rest of them!!!

queen_gpants
01-08-2007, 02:23 PM
I'm a bit disappointed my legs are a tad too short for the dakar, the lower seat is 830mm which is 3cm higher than the monnie which I think is pushing it a bit comfort wise and the 1150 GS is 870mm so definitely out of my league but having seen some of the mods people have done with the 650 I think I'm in for a lot of fun :D

We're off to a dealer in Oxford on Friday to try some out so I will sling my leg over a few and see what feels comfortable, I might be pleasantly surprised.

I've lost the buyer for my flat which I'm a bit peed off about so its on the market again but fingers crossed it will sell quickly, soon as its sold its a new BMW for me and one for Leigh :spin:

benson
01-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Sorry to hear that about the flat - at this rate you'll be coming to Derbyshire with us!!!

queen_gpants
01-08-2007, 02:27 PM
Yes possibly, I think I might have been a bit hasty cancelling, we'll have to wait and see!

benson
01-08-2007, 02:31 PM
Well we can squeeze you in if you still want to come!!! No worries either way - just let me know at some point! I've got another recruit so we're back up to 14 in total I think...

Take it wasy and see you soon,

Rach
xxxx

katana
01-08-2007, 03:38 PM
Vines in Guilford seem to be good.

Regarding second hand prices at the moment are low, people aren't buying second hand bike while owners do over value their pride and joy.

Julie
01-08-2007, 03:53 PM
We have a GS650 (when i say 'we' i mean Ruth...)

Anyway its a fantastic bike - so much so i have concidered selling my monster to buy a GS as well. Ruth has not done any off roading with it - But i was in teh pyrennese last week doing an off road comp and many GS's 650 were in this and they were fine off road.

If you do buy one - do think about doing that off road day in wales with the GA650's. In fact you could do that before you buy then you know which one you like.

I wheeled the GS on sunday and i also rode the Hyper at the monster track day and i have to say i'd rather ride the GS as its a sooper bike. We bought a new tent and roll mats and sleeping bags - it all fits on ruths bike really easy.

She has all the luggage and means we can just hop on the bikes and go anywhere! i really love her bike.

I have to really spend some time myself thinking about my monster and do i keep it or sell it to buy a GS as i want something different out of bikes now! I want to travel and tour and i need the right bike.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j87/Julie-horne/bits048.jpg

kaysee
01-08-2007, 04:05 PM
She has all the luggage and means we can just hop on the bikes and go anywhere!

Thats exactly what happens with me when Pen and I travel. My 1150GS is loaded to the gunnells and the monster is devoid of luggage:worried:

Julie
01-08-2007, 04:09 PM
Thats exactly what happens with me when Pen and I travel. My 1150GS to the is loaded to the gunnells and the monster is devoid of luggage:worried:

Yes ....maybe i wont sell my monster! Just let ruth the pack horse carry all the stuff!?

proto
01-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Long time no speak, glad to see all the regulars are doing well.
Hate to crash the party but I too have a BMW F650 :mand: In fact there's two in the garage at the mo, as my son has parked his there whilst he's working up in London. Both early Funduros, a 96 (mine) and a 94 (his)

Bet you haven't seen one this colour before! The red one is my son's, parked up in Spain somewhere.

Top bikes, use mine for hacking around, but surprisingly good fun. need to be thrashed and they are a bit vibey (at least the early ones are) but great bikes. I have heard it said that the carb motors are better than the Fi jobbies, but that might be bollocks.

You good folk had a look at http://www.f650.co.uk/

or The Chain Gang (http://f650.com/phpBB2/)

You probably won't be pleased to hear I'm thinking of buying another Ducati. An early half faired 750/900ss would be first choice but still considering a Monster.

Take it easy folks. Enjoy your riding. :)

queen_gpants
02-08-2007, 06:50 AM
Well thanks for all the comments about the 650 guys, funnily enough Kaysee PM'd me on the UKGS'er forum and said that Ruth had bought a 650, so thanks for the feedback Julie.

It's good to know that other monsterers also have these bikes and really rate them. Like you Julie I've decided I want something a bit different from biking, having lost my friend BJ recently and another friend seriously hurt, I feel the time has come for me to slow down a bit and try something different.

I'm not going to sell the monster, I dont need to financially and I think I would always regret it if I did, it's so different from the 650 and I like the fact I can go out for a fast blat on that or something more sedate on the 650.

The picture I posted at the start of this thread is a 03 F650 GS for sale on the GS forum at the moment, its a tidy looking bike with full BMWSH, a few Wunderlich extras, 44000 miles and its 2k so I'm off to look at it tomorrow or Saturday and hopefully it will be mine :D

We're definitely going to do the BMW training down in Wales, I've just got to wait till I'm fully recovered from my op, don't want to fall off and end up undoing all the good work the surgeons have done!

Julie
02-08-2007, 10:28 AM
Well thanks for all the comments about the 650 guys, funnily enough Kaysee PM'd me on the UKGS'er forum and said that Ruth had bought a 650, so thanks for the feedback Julie.

It's good to know that other monsterers also have these bikes and really rate them. Like you Julie I've decided I want something a bit different from biking, having lost my friend BJ recently and another friend seriously hurt, I feel the time has come for me to slow down a bit and try something different.

I'm not going to sell the monster, I dont need to financially and I think I would always regret it if I did, it's so different from the 650 and I like the fact I can go out for a fast blat on that or something more sedate on the 650.

The picture I posted at the start of this thread is a 03 F650 GS for sale on the GS forum at the moment, its a tidy looking bike with full BMWSH, a few Wunderlich extras, 44000 miles and its 2k so I'm off to look at it tomorrow or Saturday and hopefully it will be mine :D

We're definitely going to do the BMW training down in Wales, I've just got to wait till I'm fully recovered from my op, don't want to fall off and end up undoing all the good work the surgeons have done!

Do make sure it comes with luggage as that can cost loads of money if bought after and you have to get different keys. Ruths keys fit all the lockable luggage.

queen_gpants
02-08-2007, 10:31 AM
It comes with BMW top case and I also have a Oxford expandable seat pack so thats enough for me and the 1150 GS Leigh is hoping to get comes with luggage too so that should be enough, I think!

Julie
02-08-2007, 10:36 AM
It comes with BMW top case and I also have a Oxford expandable seat pack so thats enough for me and the 1150 GS Leigh is hoping to get comes with luggage too so that should be enough, I think!

Just to give you an idea we paid £3500 for ruths mint 650. It came with the top box and panniers full service history. She needed to get a new back tyer wen she got it. It had 10k on the clock.

It really is a gem of a bike i really want one! I love it so much.

Its like a mix of my ducati and my KTM all in one.

Good luck on saturday.

Let me know how you get on

Julie
02-08-2007, 10:37 AM
Oh and its an 03

queen_gpants
04-08-2007, 06:19 PM
Wooohooo got myself a new bike, another one to add to the collection ! :biggrin:

It's a lovely 2003 F650 GS, full BMW service history (the seller has every bit of paperwork from new), a nice few extras, luggage and a good price, I'm well chuffed.

I pick it up in the week

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j235/queen_gravelpants/newbike.jpg

JMo
04-08-2007, 10:12 PM
Congratulations! - it looks a cracker!

Do think carefully about taking it off road though - yes they are capable in the right (strong) hands, but they are still a big bike, and more suited to dry dirt roads than full on Welsh byways...

I don't want to sound like a doom monger, but if you take it off road be aware you will drop it - it's inevitable... so be prepared for that (and the associated rectification costs/gaff tape application x).

If you've not ridden off-road before I do recommend having a go on someone elses (hired) bike first to get to grips with the principles - the BMW course is expensive, but does offer similar machines to your own (although I understand their fleet are pretty much all the new Xchallenge bikes now)...

Good luck, and if you want to take that bad boy out in Wales let me know and I can show you some great trails x

xxx

queen_gpants
05-08-2007, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the advice Jenny :)

Don't worry I'm not planning on off roading all the way home from the sellers house ;) I'm going to learn how to do this properly and take my time.

Once Leigh has a BMW too we are going to go and do some sort of off road course, start off on the easy stuff and take it step by step.

First thing I'm going to do is buy some engine bars, some decent clothing and boots and I am well prepared for dropping it, with my stubby legs it's inevitable! lol

The nice thing about the UKGSers forum is that there are plenty of people willing to show novices the right way of doing things and in fact they're planning a ladies off road picnic once the ground dries out from all the flooding so that should be fun :)

Julie
06-08-2007, 04:58 PM
YEAH! it looks lovely (ruth wanted a black one!)

We have just come back from a weekend in the lakes! Camping for some of it - ruths bike was really loaded up and she said it didnt affect the handling at all.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j87/Julie-horne/The_Lakes_August_2007_072.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j87/Julie-horne/The_Lakes_August_2007_041.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j87/Julie-horne/The_Lakes_August_2007_024.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j87/Julie-horne/The_Lakes_August_2007_007.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j87/Julie-horne/The_Lakes_August_2007_056.jpg

queen_gpants
06-08-2007, 05:05 PM
Nice pics Julie, amazing how much stuff you can load onto these bikes isn't it! :p

I pick mine up tomorrow evening and during the day we're off to a BMW dealer to look at an 04 F650GS dakar for Leigh :) He's hoping to PX his multistrada for it and to do the deal before the weekend so we can both ride up to Doni for the DD.

I'm hoping the weather is gonna improve a bit now so we can plan some weekend trips over the next few weeks, I am itching to go out and have a play! :spin:

Julie
06-08-2007, 06:12 PM
Nice pics Julie, amazing how much stuff you can load onto these bikes isn't it! :p

I pick mine up tomorrow evening and during the day we're off to a BMW dealer to look at an 04 F650GS dakar for Leigh :) He's hoping to PX his multistrada for it and to do the deal before the weekend so we can both ride up to Doni for the DD.

I'm hoping the weather is gonna improve a bit now so we can plan some weekend trips over the next few weeks, I am itching to go out and have a play! :spin:

Interesting that leigh is PX his Multistrada - ruth was going to buy one of those instead of teh GS - but was put of by the big servicing charges. Plus teh 620 didn't look as nice as the 1000.

A new front tyer fr ruths GS cost just over £30 last month! Fitted! now thats a bargin.

queen_gpants
06-08-2007, 06:18 PM
He's only had the MS 4 months, he loves it but there are niggles with things like the unreliable fuel guage and like you say service costs.

Parkers PX price is about £500 on the 1000DS which is more than the price of the dakar so we're hoping it will be a straight swap with the BMW dealer chucking in a couple of extras or some cash back :)

My 650 is due for a service end of the month, cost £250, peanuts compared to the monster which is due a full service with valves and belts cost £530!

Has Ruth got the Tourance tyres fitted?

Julie
06-08-2007, 06:24 PM
He's only had the MS 4 months, he loves it but there are niggles with things like the unreliable fuel guage and like you say service costs.

Parkers PX price is about £500 on the 1000DS which is more than the price of the dakar so we're hoping it will be a straight swap with the BMW dealer chucking in a couple of extras or some cash back :)

My 650 is due for a service end of the month, cost £250, peanuts compared to the monster which is due a full service with valves and belts cost £530!

Has Ruth got the Tourance tyres fitted?

She has Metzeler Tourance fitted.

Her 12k service which included the MOT and tyer was £300. We couldn't belive it! All at the BMW dealer near us. I love my monster but when i see what servicing can cost and what her bike does AND that its the same age as my bike AND the engine paint isn't flaking off AND hers still looks so mint condition it makes me wonder if i should sell my monster....

Dave in USA
06-08-2007, 07:20 PM
Woo Hoo!!!

Looks great Celeste :woot:

benson
07-08-2007, 07:01 AM
Hi again Celeste, the bike looks great!

I loved my GS too and it was cheap to run - the 18k service was a couple of hundred quid and the only thing that needed looking at for the MoT were the fork seals which were both replaced. I couldn't fault the bike at all - good workhorse and it was black. Three years of living outside meant the engine paint flaked a bit but that was pretty much it! The commute was effortless pretty much into town each day and it was reliable as a reliable thing (except for when the starter switch needed replacing at 6 months which was just one of those things but with a ducati you get to be fairly ambivalent about such niggles!)

I hope you both really enjoy the bikes - they're good fun. Here's to better weather for the rest of the summer!!!

queen_gpants
08-08-2007, 07:20 AM
Picked up the bike last night, had to ride home from Bury St Edmunds in torrential rain, thunder and lightning but did I care....NO! I was quite happy doing 80-90 through rivers of water, crap visibility and the bike loved it!!!!

I have never ridden such a comfortable bike, fantastic riding postion with great visibility, really responsive on the throttle...for a single cylinder 650cc bike its got loads of grunt. I had no problem sitting on the motorway doing 70-80 and then if I wanted to overtake I just simply opened the throttle and off I went, didnt have to drop a gear.

At one point after gettting soaked (I had taken the waterproof lining out of my trousers :dunce:) I decided I needed to speed up a bit to get home as I was getting cold and Leigh who was following in the car couldnt keep up as I was doing 95mph!

Got home wet and cold but with a huge grin on my face and I was really surprised by that :thumbsup: anyway I'm going out again today to try out some twisties this time and a bit of town riding but so far the bike gets 10/10 :D

Also on the plus side Leigh bought a F650GS dakar yesterday which we pick up on Friday, so we'll be doing the long scenic route to Donington on Saturday!

Julie
08-08-2007, 07:47 AM
Picked up the bike last night, had to ride home from Bury St Edmunds in torrential rain, thunder and lightning but did I care....NO! I was quite happy doing 80-90 through rivers of water, crap visibility and the bike loved it!!!!

I have never ridden such a comfortable bike, fantastic riding postion with great visibility, really responsive on the throttle...for a single cylinder 650cc bike its got loads of grunt. I had no problem sitting on the motorway doing 70-80 and then if I wanted to overtake I just simply opened the throttle and off I went, didnt have to drop a gear.

At one point after gettting soaked (I had taken the waterproof lining out of my trousers :dunce:) I decided I needed to speed up a bit to get home as I was getting cold and Leigh who was following in the car couldnt keep up as I was doing 95mph!

Got home wet and cold but with a huge grin on my face and I was really surprised by that :thumbsup: anyway I'm going out again today to try out some twisties this time and a bit of town riding but so far the bike gets 10/10 :D

Also on the plus side Leigh bought a F650GS dakar yesterday which we pick up on Friday, so we'll be doing the long scenic route to Donington on Saturday!

ACE News! all Hail the GS 650!

You'll both love them and you can go all over the world now off and on road - brilliant.

The kind Mr gilps gave ruth the BMW tank bag part of the luggage and its bloody brilliant!

Will you get the BMW side panniers?

queen_gpants
08-08-2007, 07:56 AM
I understand now why you're considering the 650 over the monnie, its a great bike :)

I'm not bothering with panniers for now, I have the top case and I have an expanding tailpack and I'm going to get a tank cover and tank bag so that will be more than enough for me. Leigh hasn't got any luggage with his so he can get the panniers.

Julie
13-08-2007, 06:16 PM
How's the GS family?

Have you both got them now - post some photos.

Julie
15-08-2007, 05:54 PM
You got any photos yet?

queen_gpants
16-08-2007, 06:38 AM
You got any photos yet?

Not yet, too busy riding it! :spin:

I've done over 800 miles on it the last week, any excuse to go out and play, I even went out in the rain yesterday just for the hell of it!

Leigh picked up his Dakar last Friday and he's raving about its the best bike he's ever had too, much better than the multistrada.

He's such a jammy s*d, it's an 04 bike, the dealer had it marked up as 4500 miles but when we picked it up it had actually done just over 2k, its showroom condition and he paid £4500 for it, such a bargain!

We're both perusing the Touratchec and Wunderlich catalogues now picking out nice bits for wedding anniversary and xmas pressies! :chuckle:

So I think we've been converted!

Just got to decide what to do with the monster now?

Julie
16-08-2007, 11:25 AM
Not yet, too busy riding it! :spin:

I've done over 800 miles on it the last week, any excuse to go out and play, I even went out in the rain yesterday just for the hell of it!

Leigh picked up his Dakar last Friday and he's raving about its the best bike he's ever had too, much better than the multistrada.

He's such a jammy s*d, it's an 04 bike, the dealer had it marked up as 4500 miles but when we picked it up it had actually done just over 2k, its showroom condition and he paid £4500 for it, such a bargain!

We're both perusing the Touratchec and Wunderlich catalogues now picking out nice bits for wedding anniversary and xmas pressies! :chuckle:

So I think we've been converted!

Just got to decide what to do with the monster now?
If you can afford to keep the monster then keep it - but the GS will do everything it says on the Tin.

Glad you like them.

Will
16-08-2007, 11:55 AM

Welcome to the GS club - I've got a 1200GS but have ridden the 650 a few times as a loaner and it's a great all round do anything and everything bike.

singletrack
16-08-2007, 01:12 PM
I used to love my 650GS, but I made the mistake of getting a lowered one - and found it a bit too low when going over ramps etc and it was uncomfy on long rides because my legs felt a bit cramped.

The 650GS is a great bike - but I can't wait until they bring out an 800GS with a twin engine. That might be the ideal tourer/commuter for me. Fingers crossed that it appears next year.