PDA

View Full Version : Zimbo's Desmodue report from Castle Coombe

Zimbo
31-07-2007, 10:36 AM
The first official outing of the Dukes of Havoc Road Race team!

I had taken part in the Monster Owners Club trackday at Mallory Park on Friday, taking both the DD bike and my road 900 monster. The DD bike was ready for a new set of tyres, being half way through the season, so I had them changed at Mallory and did a couple of sessions to get them scrubbed in ready for Castle Coombe, completing the day on my road bike.
I was fairly tired when I got home and had an early start on Saturday to get to Castle Coombe so I didn’t bother unloading the road bike (deciding it would make a useful paddock bike at the circuit!), I simply threw all the extra equipment needed for the race weekend (Gazebo, cooking facilities, mattress / duvet etc) on top of the bikes and set off for Castle Coombe at 6 am Saturday morning. It was lovely and sunny on arrival though the grass was pretty wet. I found a large clear patch of soggy grass and staked our claim on it, parked up, unloaded the bikes and equipment and started putting up the lightweight gazebo I had brought whilst waiting for the rest of the team to arrive.
Gilps finally turned up just before eight along with Scrumpster and Chappers, by which time I was sat comfortably in my deck chair waiting for the tea to arrive. Harriebird wasn’t going to make this one, she was stuck home in bed back in Essex with some nasty bug or other.
We got Gilps unloaded, then climbed into our leathers and started the long trek to the scrutineering shed, pushing the bikes up the long hill (scrutineers tend to object to being presented with a hot bike to inspect, and if you burn your scrutineer the chances of your passing are minimal!!). Having passed on both bike and clothing we needed to subject the bikes to noise testing (something Castle Coombe is very strict on, max 105 dB at 4200 rpm) and then signed on at Race Control.
Entries were down for this round (possibly as a result of many injuries at the previous few rounds!) so the two classes (620 injected and 583 carb) were being combined on a single grid, 23 620 class A bikes and 20 583 Class B. This would mean starting well back on the grid as the 620s are much faster, around 63bhp compared to our 50.

Untimed practice was just after 10, half a dozen laps to get used to the circuit. Fuelled up, tyre pressures checked, I took this session very easy, not wanting to crash this early! The circuit is very fast and very bumpy, I had geared the bike for the long straights on 15/45 and I wanted to see how it was on circuit. All seemed well, one crasher but it wasn’t me so I wasn’t at all worried! Time for breakfast!
Timed practice (Qualifying) was just after 12, went a bit faster this time to try to get a good grid slot. Not fast enough though, I found myself 31st on the grid, back on row 8, on a 1.34. Must try harder. At least I was back home safe, unlike fast boys Dom Clegg and Ali Knight who both threw it down the road during the session. Ali’s bike was a bit messy, the 600S fairing pretty much disintegrated and front wheel damaged, turns out he’s broken a rib earlier in the week and was feeling sore to start with! Ali had gone into the back of one of the class A bikes, putting the rider out with a broken collarbone, so that was his weekend over along with the next round at Donington.

Zimbo
31-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Race 1 was called just before 3. Ali’s bike was finally put back together with minutes to spare, wearing just a square foot of fairing at the front with his number on. One sighting lap and form back up, we’re all abreast on the row here rather than the normal being staggered and I’m close to the right which should put me on an inside line for turn 1, the right handed Quarry. Lights on, aim for the gap in front, lights stay on for ever it seems, someone jumps the start badly ahead (which earned him a 10 second penalty), lights out and it’s go go go, clutch dumped and hang on under full throttle through the gears, got away reasonably well, run into a huge jam up avon rise and into quarry, took an inside line but it’s slow due to traffic, careful cos the tyres aren’t up to temperature yet, we all bunch up again at the next chicane, want to carve through on the inside on the brakes but you’ve got to be a bit careful not to have your front wheel chopped off as they sweep across, we all get through safely and start to stream out over the following straight. Got passed by a couple of the faster boys who made poor starts, concentrate on pulling in the bike in front and after a couple of laps got past on the brakes, and the next, there’s a pair of 620 bikes ahead and I sit on their tails but their extra power pulls them away on the straights and I can’t get close enough to get them on the brakes into the chicanes, last lap flag is out, this is hard work, legs are getting tired from the constant moving from one side to the other, no-where to relax on this circuit as even the half mile paddock straight has a couple of fast bumpy kinks, arms are tiring from the maximum effort braking into the chicanes. Bike is at maximum 9000rpm in top early in the straight and held there right to quarry, wonder if it’ll pull another tooth off the back sprocket? Finish safe, 10th 583 home, lap time 1.32. Chappers is waiting with my paddock stand, turn the bike off, she helps me off with my leathers and I collapse sweaty and exhausted!
Finished for the day, we open the beers and start dinner cooking, early night for us!
I wasn't that happy with my day's performance, not carrying enough corner speed as evidenced by the fact that my knee sliders hadn't touched down all day, must try harder tomorrow!

Zimbo
31-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Sunday morning is dry after a night of heavy rain, the Gazebo has collapsed so we put it back up, I’m still fast asleep and have a headache as we form up for morning warm up, ten minutes of fast track action soon clears that and wakes me up and it’s back to the paddock to find the girls have breakfast cooked ready, excellent! Deliberate on changing the rear sprocket for race two, going down one tooth to 44, but I’m worried I’ll lose drive out of the chicanes and decide to leave it as it is, didn’t seem any slower than the others down the straights. We watch the sound of thunder race which a few of our lads are out in, there’s a multi bike accident and Ali is one of the ones down, his second fall of the weekend, bike even more trashed but it’ll get back out on the grid ok, he’s starting to look a bit beaten up though. Fuel up, last tyre pressure check, form up for race 2. Lights on for ages again, when they go out there’s a faller on my front left immediately, I keep it pinned as he’s not in my line. Got a good start but passed round the outside by three bikes into Quarry, I get them back one by one, the last one is Kev Mooney on the second last lap then it’s head down and drive for the line knowing he won’t be far behind, making sure I keep the speed up everywhere and don’t relax or make a mistake, as we hit the last chicane there’s part of the tyre wall spread across the track on the apex so have to take avoiding action, out of the last turn and over the line, Kev is right beside me, I’ve got him by just half a bike length, 0.05 seconds! 10th for me again. Lap time down to 1.31. The faller on the start is none other than Ali Knight, collided with another bike and went down for the third time of the weekend, leaving him with another four broken ribs to add to the one he arrived with. He seems unfazed though, if a little sore, and expects to be well up for Donington in two weeks!

So, no offs for me and two tenth places, not brilliant but it’s all points. I’m left in a comfortable fifth place in the championship and shouldn’t get caught now as long as I keep my head down and don’t fall off! A good team effort in the paddock, Chappers was brilliant as Pit Bitch, well organised and always ready with paddock stands and general help, Scrumps was good company and went shopping on every possible occasion, we didn’t mind though cos she brought back a case of beer, thanks to everyone who popped in and said hi it was great to see you!
Next stop, Donington Park, 12th August!

eonan
31-07-2007, 10:48 AM
As always, really enjoyed reading that. Thanks mate and well done :)

andros
31-07-2007, 10:53 AM
Great write up again Graham, its nice to be able to get to know whats going on in DD and get a feel for what its like to be racing.

I'm not sure I should say it but that AK is one tough fella, I think.

giler
31-07-2007, 10:53 AM
The DD bike was ready for a new set of tyres, .

Me thinks the 900 might be getting somewhere near!!!!!

benson
31-07-2007, 12:34 PM
Great reading Graham!!! And well done too - how did Mr Gilps do?

Chappers
31-07-2007, 12:47 PM
I'm waiting for Gilps to come along and mention about his result on Sunday :yoparty: as he spent most of Saturday with a face like a slapped arse....really wasn't happy about mixing classes which I totally understand and wouldn't of liked myself if I was racing :thumbsdown:

Gilps
31-07-2007, 12:54 PM
Great reading Graham!!! And well done too - how did Mr Gilps do?

Mixed fortunes really.
In the qualifier I lost the front end in Quarry, where so many others fell during the weekend. I was so chuffed as my CSS training kicked in. As the front tucked I cracked the thottle open fully and just relaxed. The bike just picked itself back up and I carried on. I qualified with 3 bikes behind me on the grid.
Race 1 I didn't get a good start. 2 bikes passed me fairly early on, a 583 and a 620, and I spent the next few laps slowly catching up. As I was catching up I got lapped by Hawk and it just threw me completely and the bike behind who I had held off so far passed me too. I finished last behind the 3 guys who I had out-qualified. I was pretty hacked off at that point as my fastest lap in the race was 2 seconds slower than my qualifying time.
In race 2 I stayed ahead of the 620 who had beaten me in race 1 and he didn't manage to get past me this time. The two 583's got ahead of me off the line so I chased them down for the next few laps. I passed the first one 2 laps from home, and the second one on the last lap. I was really happy at that point as I had beaten the 3 guys who finished in front in the first race. And I knocked 2 seconds off my qualifying time.
I need to get more aggressive before and during the race. I'm just too chilled and need to get fired up more. When I get on it I find that I am slowly improving. I've got a long way to go yet though. I'm really loving racing, and team DOH! is on a roll now. A big up to our pit bitches, Scrumpster and Chappers, but not so impressed with the crew chief who chucked in the lamest excuse yet for non-attendance, 2 broken ribs. GWS Slob.
Thanks to all those who came along to watch and support us.

benson
31-07-2007, 12:58 PM
Well done for staying up right Gilps - I'm sure many of us would have thrown it down the road with a tucked up front end! I really admire your guts mate - well done! Actually i think my excuse for not being there is marginally more impressive than broken ribs!!!

J.P
31-07-2007, 01:01 PM
Maybe Gilps you less-than-aggressive-attitude, pre-race, is down to your pit Bitches taking such good care of you both ?
Maybe if they were a little tougher on you you'd be fired up for the race ?

Chappers
31-07-2007, 01:06 PM
Maybe Gilps you less-than-aggressive-attitude, pre-race, is down to your pit Bitches taking such good care of you both ?
Maybe if they were a little tougher on you you'd be fired up for the race ?

Gilps mate....just you wait til Donny - I'm gonna be slapping you about, shouting in your face, not feeding ya etc :on:

Chappers
31-07-2007, 01:11 PM
The back of our t-shirts which I think look really cool...
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l234/Chappers_photos/DukesofHavoc.jpg

giler
31-07-2007, 01:22 PM
The back of our t-shirts which I think look really cool...
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l234/Chappers_photos/DukesofHavoc.jpg

Get the bikes sprayed up like General Lee!

psychlist
31-07-2007, 01:36 PM
Nice write up as always Graeme, I can feel it as if I'm there. Glad Monica is serving you well mate :thumbsup:

Zimbo
31-07-2007, 03:14 PM
Nice write up as always Graeme, I can feel it as if I'm there. Glad Monica is serving you well mate :thumbsup:

Certainly is! She may be a little untidy round the edges but she keeps on going, I've had absolutely no mechanical problems with her at all since I took her off you, I just put her in the van and am always confident she'll go well. She got belts at the start of the year, had the occasional oil and filter change, new fork seals at Assen, race spec clutch springs to reduce slipping, tyres every now and then, and I just adjust the gearing for circuits and put petrol in her! Couldn't ask for more!

slob
31-07-2007, 03:23 PM
plus all those replacement parts we stuck on her.
plus repair to rear brake.
clutch much better since Assen too.

she does seem to just keep going and going no matter what you do to her.

psychlist
31-07-2007, 06:00 PM
she does seem to just keep going and going no matter what you do to her.

She learnt well in her time with me then :dizzy: :dizzy:

scrumpster
31-07-2007, 06:19 PM
Gilps mate....just you wait til Donny - I'm gonna be slapping you about, shouting in your face, not feeding ya etc :on:

He'd better not get too aggressive, he's bad enough as it is!! Chappers, maybe we should tie him up to the back of Suzi and drag him round the paddock a couple of times, that would get him aggressive :D
Excellent report Zimbo and maybe I should write one about an 8 egg omelette al fresco :yoparty:

benson
31-07-2007, 06:23 PM
Our own regular littel Delia - maybe that should be your team name Scrumps! Deeliyaaaahhh!!!!!

Zimbo
31-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Excellent report Zimbo and maybe I should write one about an 8 egg omelette al fresco :yoparty:

You should, perhaps you should do another next time as well. Bit of parsley to go with that madam?? :)

scrumpster
31-07-2007, 06:47 PM
I can do chives in the shape of grass - any good? Benson, Delia hasn't got a patch on me ;)

Chappers
31-07-2007, 07:46 PM
Chappers, maybe we should tie him up to the back of Suzi and drag him round the paddock a couple of times, that would get him aggressive :D

I liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike it! :mand:

Stafford
31-07-2007, 08:15 PM
Me thinks the 900 might be getting somewhere near!!!!!

No Sh*t

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/stafford23/Oiler/DSC02319A.jpg

Zimbo contemplates

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/stafford23/Oiler/DSC02318A.jpg

The boys get round Quarry

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/stafford23/Oiler/DSC02324A.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/stafford23/Oiler/DSC02323A.jpg

Zimbo
31-07-2007, 08:28 PM
It's only worn in the middle, loads left on the edges still :) :) That tyre did a 1.03 lap of Mallory on it's last few turns . . . . :eek: :eek: :eek:
Nice piccys Mr Stafford!

stumpy
01-08-2007, 01:27 PM
Well done lads!!!:thumbsup:

Chappers
01-08-2007, 01:45 PM
Did anyone notice that Graeme no longer has to wear an orange bib :thumbsup:

benson
01-08-2007, 02:04 PM
Sorry for my ignorance - but what's the meaning of the bib?

stumpy
01-08-2007, 02:34 PM

Novice rider!!:cry:

Chappers
01-08-2007, 03:12 PM
Once you obtain 10 signatures (1 per race/weekend) you are no longer classed as a novice and therefore don't have to wear the silly bib :thumbsup:

scrumpster
01-08-2007, 03:35 PM
I liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike it! :mand:

Thought you might and he is obviously a busy man as no comments so far. At least he doesn't have to get on the rack now to be a Bayliss lookalikey ;)

Zimbo
01-08-2007, 03:51 PM
That poor man . . . . :p

benson
01-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Aha - I thought it was something to do with making a mess of his t shirts after Scrumpster's al fresco breakfasts!!!!!

Gilps
01-08-2007, 04:20 PM

messy eater. I've still got to wear mine but Zimbo's been house trained now.

benson
01-08-2007, 04:27 PM
Ah yes but has mein cat???

scrumpster
01-08-2007, 05:11 PM
Thought you might and he is obviously a busy man as no comments so far. At least he doesn't have to get on the rack now to be a Bayliss lookalikey ;)

Chappers and I aren't dead yet then!! :p

Zimbo
01-08-2007, 05:40 PM
messy eater. I've still got to wear mine but Zimbo's been house trained now.

I bet I can still make a great mess though . . . . :)

scrumpster
01-08-2007, 05:42 PM
I think you should have team bibs with a catch tray :D

Gilps
01-08-2007, 09:27 PM
I think you should have team bibs with a catch tray :D

..and a penguin. please. I've always wanted a bib with a penguin on. My brothers had one but I didn't.

slob
02-08-2007, 05:29 AM
..and a penguin. please. I've always wanted a bib with a penguin on. My brothers had one but I didn't.

I think I had one with a pelican not a penguin.

barbican
02-08-2007, 06:03 AM
Allways enjoy your reading your report - must try and get allong to the meet on the 12th

scrumpster
02-08-2007, 07:54 PM

I'll see what I can do :scratch: