PDA

View Full Version : The Future

benson
29-07-2007, 12:51 PM
You will no doubt have read by now that Terry has stood down as club president and there is a meeting on the 18th August to discuss the future of the club. I've been a member of this wonderful community for nearly 5 years and know that it wouldn't be the place it is if it wasn't for Terry, so I will be going to the meeting with the strong belief that we don't want or need a club run by committee - we need a club very much in the spirit of what we have now, nothing wrong with wanting to make improvements where possible but the shape and feel of the club to me at least is totally what I want.

So - if you want to have your two penneth this is the thread where I would suggest you spend it - all views welcomed - after all collectively we make this place what it is, even if the leadersip is changing then the spirit should be retained and strengthened...

Gadget
29-07-2007, 01:15 PM
I've been a member of this wonderful community for nearly 5 years and know that it wouldn't be the place it is if it wasn't for Terry, so I will be going to the meeting with the strong belief that we don't want or need a club run by committee - we need a club very much in the spirit of what we have now, nothing wrong with wanting to make improvements where possible but the shape and feel of the club to me at least is totally what I want.

I couldn't agree more. I like the club the way it is run now.

benson
29-07-2007, 01:26 PM
Thanks for your comments Gary - and see you soon!

Julie
29-07-2007, 02:23 PM
I think anyone should be allowed to attend the meeting not just reps and mods!?

benson
29-07-2007, 02:44 PM
Sorry Julie - I thought that was the suggestion and I agree - just got the wrong message!!! I've changed the Essex post too to make sure I don't confuse the issue!

barbican
29-07-2007, 03:14 PM
we need a club very much in the spirit of what we have now, nothing wrong with wanting to make improvements where possible but the shape and feel of the club to me at least is totally what I want.

Completely agree!

Nickj
29-07-2007, 03:18 PM
It makes it more difficult to manage a bigger meeting without formalising it much more where you have a wider attendance, which is slightly at odds with the more anarchic associative feel (it's the best description I came up with) of things at present. A small number of 'mates at a pub' works, a room full is a party and won't. Having said that I'd be interested to see what happened but probably would keep quiet unless there was something particular that I felt moved to say.
I think the current structure seems to work but does need a few strong figures to keep things rolling along and apply little prods when they're needed. It maybe that some kind of formal structure should exist in the background that could provide a safety net for future similar problems. Not a clue how that would work or be organised though.
Possibly those interested in trackdays could get together organise some trackdays, those with a 'social bent' organise some open a few 'events'; but neither using fixed or elected people. Just post a 'who wants to help with ....', but have some rules/guidelines to use.
I have done/suffered a few years in a formal bike club(s) and I'd make the observation that where you have a local territorial club it's difficult to get people together for regular meetings. Non-territorial clubs or organisations are positive nightmares to run.

Coming from someone who cobbled up a full business plan for 'Aardvarks are Us' the franchised solution to ant infested lawns; I was really bored at the time OK, but it is a stunning plan LOL this may be worth ignoring!!

slob
29-07-2007, 03:21 PM
Too right! Terry has done an unbelievable job of steering this club in the 4 years I've been a member. The last thing I'd want to see here is the kind of dissent that's been going on in another club lately.

benson
29-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the comments all - I will do my best to take these to the meeting on the 18th - whilst I think the meeting should be accessible to all I do think there needs to be a caucus (I wish I could spell..) to take things forwards.

bigredduke
29-07-2007, 04:10 PM
I have been a monster owner for just over 2 years now (my first ever Ducati although I had fancied one for over 25 years, just never managed until recently) and joined UKMOC shortly afterwards. The fact that is was subscription-free was a real attraction simply because it didn't imply any real commitment yet ironically, many members are committed to the cause in real and practical ways.

I have met so many terrific new chums through the club and attended quite a few events and enjoyed many rideouts as a result. On the downside, it has caused me to spend far too much money on mods & extras but c'est la vie! as they say in Italy.

What I really appreciate about the forum is that it is mercifully free of posts slagging each other off and the lack of puerile, immature posturing and attention-seekers. The willingness of members to help out others even if it means some personal inconveniences is so evident.

Because of this, I feel that whatever happens, the people involved will continue to run the club in the best interests of all members.

I must finish now 'cos I'm filling up!:cry: