PDA

View Full Version : brakes

zerocool
28-07-2007, 07:27 PM
Hi there . A question about brakes.
I have a 98 600 dark with single disc at the front. I know already that if i want to improve it i could put braided lines, but for that i have to wait a bit more. Anyway i ve been changing my front pad really often like every 5/6 weeks because i worn them relly fast. Now, before a guy that i know was doing it for me ( scooter mechanic) but since he put the spring in my brembo front caliper upside down i stopped his services. Last change was with essential rubber. Since i changed it they feel spongy and they are really noisy. As well at really low speed my front ,under braking ,shake a bit.
Any suggestions?
And how do i stop them from squeeking?

Scotty
28-07-2007, 07:47 PM
5 or 6 weeks ~:?????

sound like the caliper might be binding a bit or sumit

is it constantly squeeking ? is the disk hot even when your not useing the break ?

zerocool
28-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Squik only since tha last change 2 weeks ago and the caliper and disc have been checked and they are fine. Squik only when i brake hard or when i m really slow braking

zerocool
28-07-2007, 07:56 PM
Sorry how do i check for the hot disk?

Scotty
28-07-2007, 08:30 PM
ride for a few miles and stop with the rear break

id say put you hand near rather than on the disk if you didnt use it it should be stone cold

zerocool
28-07-2007, 08:35 PM
I done that the around 2 months ago because they put my spring caliper upside down on the front and was not working and i have to go to the shop to fix it. Was fine then.
The disc is been checked by rossocorse and they said that is fine . I will bring it there for a service too.
Any idea for the squeking because became louder everyday

Scotty
28-07-2007, 09:21 PM
err msqueeling is possibly due to a missalignment of the caliper and disk however this should be taken care of by the floating / semi floteing disk

its not some thing to worrie about reakly its a sign that its all working

many break cleaners for the car market as used to stoop squeeling actually contain wax type products to muffel the sound (so dont do it, just use ipa if you fancy wipeing any part of the breaks)

you could take thecaliper off the fork leg and put it back on (threadlock it on again)

is it a different brand of pad you have i nthis time ?

zerocool
28-07-2007, 09:34 PM
I dont know which brand they put . next time i will ask for a particular one to rossocorse.

mad_turnips
29-07-2007, 01:26 AM
if you test you disc as he said dont forget to take your gloves of first

russ77
30-07-2007, 09:48 PM
If it's a high-pitched squeal you're getting when you apply the brake, pop out the pads, clean them and the disc with some brake cleaner and apply some copper brake grease to the back of the pads. You can buy both of these from motor spares and bike shops. The grease comes in little sachets.

If you're experiencing more of a judder, the disc may actually be warped, which will mean a new disc, sadly. Does the lever pulse when you apply the brake lightly? If so, it's bad news I'm afraid.

Scotty
31-07-2007, 08:10 AM
but not that bad disk rebuild kits arnt that expensive

uh 'they' say copper slip is bad for the seals on calipers and you sould use silicone grease ~:?

katana
02-08-2007, 10:35 PM
Or just bring it over to me after work.

You know where i live now don't you?

zerocool
03-08-2007, 08:20 PM
I would like to but after my crash on monday is a write off. Waiting for the insurance to solve it and for the moment riding a courtesy bike ( hornet 600). thanks anyway