PDA

View Full Version : Monster trackday

CK & AK
26-07-2007, 05:54 PM
To those who have already gone - and to those going soon or in the morning - have a great day :cool:

Keep it shiny side up please everyone :)

No doubt Zimbo & Gilps will fill in the rest of us already at Castle Combe tomorrow night with the derrings-do of the days exploits :D

Zimbo
26-07-2007, 07:21 PM
No doubt!!!

gary tompkins
26-07-2007, 08:59 PM
Ditto to that CK

Won't be there to spectate as planned - but will be thinking of you all at Mallory on Friday. Hope weather holds fair & everyone enjoys themselves.

I think :ukm: is owed a dry day after the washout at Arrow Mill in May :hissy:

benson
27-07-2007, 05:08 PM
Totally top day out - and really great to see so many old and new faces too.

Sadly Slob had an off, he'll mend but he'll be sore for a while - wish you better m8 - big hug and lots of love for a speedy heal...

Scotty
27-07-2007, 05:13 PM
need more more mroe details of everything wasit the traditional bakeing hot sunshine ?

Julie
27-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Broken ribs = slob x

Scotty
27-07-2007, 05:36 PM
ouch :( dont make him laugh , which corner ?

benson
27-07-2007, 05:52 PM
Edwina's at speed and heroic angle of lean! Baking hot sunshine sadly was not ours for the day - more like fine drizzle and wind!!!

Shandy
27-07-2007, 05:53 PM

Edwina's, hope you heel quick slob...

Great day out :thumbsup:

JerryXt
27-07-2007, 07:18 PM
What a fantastic day. Thanks to Terry for putting this together for us and to everyone there for making the day so safe and successful.

For me, this was my first monster club meet and my first experience of a trackday. It was great to meet so many enthusiastic monster owners from all over the country - London and Norf. Thanks to the ferret fanciers and whippet worriers for your great company!

For the riding - wow. Just riding in a safe environment was great, but having the instructors there to show us how to get the best from the track without endangering other people or myself was incredibly valuable.

Finally, thanks to lucretzia for looking after me and corrupting me so thoroughly. BWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH :devil:

Enjoy, Jerry.

Nonnie
27-07-2007, 08:39 PM
Slob?

Hurt?

No No No. Having an Amy Winehouse moment.

I'll send bandages, calpol and a nurses outfit for Thuli.

Seriously, hope you're OK.

xx

Zimbo
27-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Edwina's at speed and heroic angle of lean! Baking hot sunshine sadly was not ours for the day - more like fine drizzle and wind!!!

I think that's a bit misleading benson, a light breeze and the very occasional spot of light drizzle, most sessions bone dry.

Nonnie
27-07-2007, 09:19 PM
Ah but you didn't dispute the heroic leaning angle.

Gooooood job Slob.

gary tompkins
27-07-2007, 09:27 PM
Sorry to hear about Slob's off - hope both bike and ribs are not too bad?Hopefully no one else came a cropper on the day, and managed to enjoy themselves. Pity about the weather at Mallory, as it's been pretty good here today TBH. Stayed dry, sunny and breezy with only light rain from about 8pm onwards.

gary tompkins
27-07-2007, 09:31 PM
I think that's a bit misleading benson, a light breeze and the very occasional spot of light drizzle, most sessions bone dry.

Ahh... I see the weather wasn't that bad after all - good news :cool:

craigie
27-07-2007, 10:52 PM

or even sigh gently, which session? Hope he got a few in....

STORMIE
28-07-2007, 03:27 AM
Just like to say thankyou to Terry for arrangeing a great trackday and Monster meet. SLOB get better soon mate.

It was my first track day and i can defently say it wont be my last, theres something about scaring yourself to death on every lap that makes you want to do it more and more.

Nice to see so many excellent Monsters and beautiful Ducatis.

We had a great day, weather good to fair, blinking good track, nice to let the S4RS stretch its legs.

Gilps
28-07-2007, 04:59 AM
Absolutely awesome day as usual. Many many thanks Terry. As usual, a cracking job well done.

GWS Slob. I was right behind him when he decided to get off. I'll be dining out on that one for ages. Most spectacliar.

Scrapps and Gary - you are what the club is about. Mates helping out mates. For those that don't know, these guys ran Slob's bike back home for him and put it in his garage whilst Slob dossed around in a hotel for the night living it up. His plasma TV may be missing when he gets home, gut hey, they're mates right.:chuckle:

Got to me y'all again. Got to dash, off to Castle Doom.

Dave in USA
28-07-2007, 05:43 AM
Pictures anyone?

SazzaG
28-07-2007, 06:21 AM
Top day out!

My third visit to the track day, having ridden at the first one, and spectated last year.

I have to say though, Mallory is a long way to go there and back in a day from Sussex! And I managed to find all the rain on the way home - still, the Hypermotard did me proud, and the hand guards kept my hands toasty warm (even if the rest of me wasn't).

Great to see everyone. Gilps, your pit bike is a scream! In fact, it seems to be almost the only bike I took pictures of!

Jen desperately tries to stoppie the pit bike.

http://www.rogandsaz.co.uk/Mallory/Jen.jpg

"Who needs a touring bike" say Benson and Scrumpster

http://www.rogandsaz.co.uk/Mallory/Benson.jpg

Insert your own caption here...

http://www.rogandsaz.co.uk/Mallory/Pedro.jpg

Julie
28-07-2007, 06:36 AM
2 Cd's of photos of everyone on the track for sale for £8 and an SAE - PM me for details

The money will go to Vista.

benson
28-07-2007, 07:05 AM
Yes yes yes - I'm a Piscean - I exaggerate - but sunny it wasn't! :chuckle: Last I heard Slob & Thuli were heading to the bar!!!! I still maintain my heroic angle of lean statement !:roger:

NattyBoy
28-07-2007, 07:07 AM
Great day (the family come and had a great time - particularly my little lad and daughter coming on gilps streetmagic with me - thaks mate !) and so glad the weather held out after the was out at Anglesey last weekend..!

1098 was awesome, and Hypermotard too (although the lack of ground clearance was a bit surprising - I destroyed a peg, brake pedal and right hand toe silder :eek: ) - and lost the front on it round gerards which could have been messy :eek:

benson
28-07-2007, 07:07 AM
Caption - "I waashed it on 90 - was that too hot???"

scrapps
28-07-2007, 07:27 AM
I would like to thank terry for another brill trackday, (my second and not my last) good job for booking the weather. and I hope slod heals fast. I was glad to help return his bike for him,I know he would have done the same for me or any other member who needed help. (thats why the ukmoc is so good all its members look out for each other) look forward to seeing some pictures hope someone got some pics of me and they make me look faster then i was ??

benson
28-07-2007, 07:31 AM
Scrumps took a picture I think and actually Scrapps I thought you were very fast! So pleased the bike is in the garage - top blokes - and as so many have said, that's what makes this club such a special place...

Julie
28-07-2007, 07:40 AM
I would like to thank terry for another brill trackday, (my second and not my last) good job for booking the weather. and I hope slod heals fast. I was glad to help return his bike for him,I know he would have done the same for me or any other member who needed help. (thats why the ukmoc is so good all its members look out for each other) look forward to seeing some pictures hope someone got some pics of me and they make me look faster then i was ??

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=23782

I hope i got a photo of you as well...

Gadget
28-07-2007, 07:43 AM
A brilliant day out. Thanks Terry. :thumbsup:
A better bunch of people would be hard to find.
Get well soon Rob, hope you don't take too long to heal.

I had a really good time and met some more wonderful people.

This is what the UKMOC is all about. :D

nbatty3
28-07-2007, 08:00 AM
GREAT STUFF ONE AND ALL!!!
probably the friendliest track day ever!!!
i'm definatly up for more ukmoc days!! i think there was 5 fallers in total i hope they all are ok been there, i know it hurts, gutting about the bike too
! best regards too you all!!
good work
(i'll be back!) :o)

Grib
28-07-2007, 08:50 AM
Hey everyone. This was my first experience of the UKMOC and it was fantastic :) Great bunch of people, the usual perfectly run trackday care of No Limits and I've got lots of bumps and bruises to show for it!
I came out in sympathy with Slob and threw myself up the track off my 900SS at the Bus Stop. Very battered and bruised and a torn ligament or two in my thumb :( Still, up to then it was lots of fun, hope to get on next years one too....and stay on preferably :)

JMo
28-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Let's hope the enthusiasm shown here has the momentum to continue to carry this event forward, and we do see another UKMOC trackday in the future...

I know Nim is trying to get a bunch together and join a day at Brands Hatch later this year perhaps - but I for one would hope that the annual UKMOC day specifially for club members can still continue - as the first timers and even the old hands have said, there is a certain something about the UKMOC track day that makes it special for everyone...

xxx

Grib
28-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Pics are up; http://80.176.91.142/performanceart.php

Some of them are quite good too, just ordered this one:
http://80.176.91.142/mainpics/90/521190.jpg

NattyBoy
28-07-2007, 03:00 PM
You were on the floor as I came out of the hairpin Grib - what happened ?

Grib
28-07-2007, 03:24 PM
You were on the floor as I came out of the hairpin Grib - what happened ?

I wish I knew! One second I was happily pootling out the hairpin, next I was on my face on the track :dizzy: Looking at the tyres, it was definiely front end as the rear tyre doesn't have any strange marks on. Either tucked it on the brakes into the Bus Stop or it had done a little wheelie out the hairpin and I'd landed it with the brake on and washed it out. Happened so fast I really don't know. Don't even recall touching the brake.

bigredduke
28-07-2007, 07:25 PM
I was a bit apprehensive about this but lots of people had said how much fun it was, so I thought I would give it a go. I was really nervous before the first session, despite the fact I have been riding on the road for many years.

Thinking about it after the event, I have mixed feelings. On the one hand I really enjoyed the day, the atmosphere and meeting up with some great people. Glyn, Roger & Jerry were brilliant companions. Out on the track, after the couple of laps it took me to settle down, I was surprised how much grip there seemed to be (although I suspect I was never anywhere near the limit), but also how bumpy it was in places. I couldn't get the hairpin right and the lefthand downhiller leading to the start/finish line was rather disconcerting because of the apparent surface differences, I couldn't decide whether to take it tight or wide. On Gerrards, there was a clear line nearly halfway across the track which made the bike feel as though it was on a tramline, so you had to be clearly on the inside or outside of the bend. There were also a couple of patches about 3/4's of the way round which I thought were best avoided.

Although the groups were not huge, I really didn't like bikes coming past me on both sides at some points and found myself glancing over my right shoulder on many occasions before moving across to the right. I was really worried about tipping in to a corner and colliding with someone coming up the inside.

I really felt that I needed lots of space around me and hated coming into a bend amongst a gaggle of other riders. I think if there had been just a handful of bikes on the track at a time, it would have been more comfortable but I realise this is not possible.

Although I felt I was riding well within my ability, I was genuinely terrified of binning it. The thought of trashing my bike was just too horrible to contemplate! Bizarrely, when each session ended, I was filled with a sense of relief that I had got around unscathed, but I was also painfully aware that each time I went out, the odds were somehow narrowing against me!
I was chatting to Benson at one point (I covet your lovely red Ducati jacket Rachel by the way!) and she made a pertinent point in that, if you get more confident, do you keep going faster until the inevitable happens or do you just pootle around well within your comfort zone. I'm not sure I know the answer!

Anyway, my knee-sliders remain as pristine as the day they came out of the box and they are likely to remain in that condition!

Would I do another track day? On balance, probably not, but then again, seeing some of the pictures...........

JMo
28-07-2007, 07:37 PM
Those are fair points BRD - but to address a couple of your concerns...

At the rider briefing I'm sure you are told just to look ahead and concentrate on your own line - that it is up to the person behind to make sure it is safe (and give you plenty of space) to overtake...

As I always understood it if people were cutting it fine (especially in the novice group) then you are quite at liberty to ask the instructors to 'have a word'.

Also, the answer to avoid the bunching is to either a) be faster than the main pack, or b) ease off and let them get a little way ahead - then enjoy the space you've created for yourself?

There is a c) as far as Didge is concerned - I think you can imagine what that is x

I must admit, watching this years event, there did seem to be more bunching than in the past - I thought the marshalls at the pit lane staggered the starters each session?

Anyway, hope it hasn't put you (or anyone else) off for good...

xxx

JerryXt
28-07-2007, 08:29 PM
Would I do another track day? On balance, probably not, but then again, seeing some of the pictures...........

Who do you think you're kidding Paul, you loved it! Seriously tho, most of the people we were riding with were good to be on the track with and very safe.

I was very lucky to meet you and the guys and you made the day enjoyable and fun. Thanks mate :drunk:

gjfevans
28-07-2007, 11:03 PM
My first track day also and I too was a little apprehensive but once out there it was fantastic. I know I am not the best rider in the world and watching some of the other folk out there I know I am not the worst but seeing what the bike is capable of has inspired more confidance in me and my machine, I will certainly be doing another one.
As for the folk there you couldnt ask for a better bunch, even Jerryxt turned out to be OK, although I think the beer helped with that:booze:
Roll on 2008

YoungDucS4R
29-07-2007, 09:02 AM
I too was a track-day virgin and must say that I did enter into it with a certain amount of trepidation, but after the first couple of laps of the opening session Im now well and truly hooked!!:banana: :banana:
In fact Ive just been browsing the MCN pages to find out where and when the next No-Limits event is!

Ragged and chicken-strip-less tyres are the order of the day for me from now on!!

Big up for all those there and hope to see you all again at the next one!!

Cheers:booze:

Nim
29-07-2007, 09:17 AM
Let's hope the enthusiasm shown here has the momentum to continue to carry this event forward, and we do see another UKMOC trackday in the future...

I know Nim is trying to get a bunch together and join a day at Brands Hatch later this year perhaps - but I for one would hope that the annual UKMOC day specifially for club members can still continue - as the first timers and even the old hands have said, there is a certain something about the UKMOC track day that makes it special for everyone...

xxx

i had more fun than i have ever had in my life and want to do more NOW!!! But i think ill never have as good a time without the monster lot, so roll on next year!! ill be the first to book my place...and maybe by that time ill be more confident and enjoy it even more!

i will be booking a novice day at brands today or tomorrow, so ill put a post up and let people know...would be great if a few monsters can join me. i might even get some knee sliders JUST IN CASE, cos at mallory i managed to get some good wreckage in on the ole toe sliders (yay!). Kinda scared me tho....i think i def need some pointers before i get back on a track

Julie
29-07-2007, 10:01 AM
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j87/Julie-horne/Monster_Trackday_Julie_Horne_200-14.jpg

Thumper
29-07-2007, 11:07 AM
Hi there,

I just want to say thank you to Terry for organising such a great day and for fitting me into the novice group only a few days beforehand.

I had a great time on 'pinky' my lil M600. Several mouths have been permanently shut with regard to Ducati reliability and the "state" of my Monster.

I hope everyones OK that had an off, I got more nervous everytime I saw the ambulance go out :eyepopping: :(

I'm definately going to be taking the Monster to another trackday as it went so well!

Thanks to all the chaps and chappesses that came over and talked to me it was nice to meet such a friendly group of people.

Look forward to the next one :mand:

benson
29-07-2007, 12:55 PM
I love the pinky bikey Tumper - a good purchse and nice to meet you too.

Thumper
29-07-2007, 04:01 PM
:biggrin: Thanks Benson!

Here is the linky to the photos I took, hope ya like them:

http://www.thumperzone.co.uk/events/mallory.htm