PDA

View Full Version : Damn Job

Gimley
24-07-2007, 07:39 PM
Well. Had a bolt out of the blue yesterday. My company have asked me to go work on a project in Gibraltar......for 2 years..

Great experience for me and I can take the wife as well but ive only just bought my 695.

Anyone know the best way of getting it over to Gib. Dont fancy riding it all the way on my own and im not sure how viable it will be cost wise..

Its either that or I just take it out every 6 weeks when I get back. Dont know how this will affect the bike.

If I were to leave it here what would be the best way to store it knowing that I would want to use it when I come back for long weekends etc.
It would be stored in a metal shed which is pretty waterproof.

Cheers
G

gremlin
24-07-2007, 07:50 PM
I'm sure someone would volunteer to ride it for you! At least it will be a warm rain free posting

David Matthews
24-07-2007, 08:01 PM
According to Route 24 http://www.uk.map24.com/ Calais to Gibraltar is about 1390 miles. That would be a nice trip with a couple of stops on the way. A lot of good roads and lovely biking weather down there.

scrumpster
24-07-2007, 08:05 PM
It would be a lovely trip down to there. I flew in when I went though, the runway is a bit scary!! Not a lot of Gib to ride round but Europe would be your oyster :D

JMo
24-07-2007, 08:25 PM
If I was going to ride down, personally I'd skip France as it's a bit dull, rather take the Portsmouth to Bilbao ferry (36 hours, more like a mini cruise with a cabin etc), then when you get to Spain, head south east along/across the Pyrennees towards Barcelona, then ride the coastal route from there - taking a few days to enjoy the trip?

If you are going to keep it in the UK, then the best idea would be to get a couple of paddock stands (to take the weight off the tyres and stop them flatting) and an optimate to keep the battery topped up - although I've never had a problem with my battery over long periods, plenty of other people on here seem to have... it's a good idea to make sure the fuel tank is pretty empty when you leave it each time (so it doesn't go stale), that way you can simply top up with fresh fuel and enjoy!

xxx

benson
24-07-2007, 08:26 PM
Reckon you should ride it down - or alternatively look at railfreight??? Even if like me you HATE ferries (all that cold water!!!) you could stick it on Eurostar and ride it out the other end!!! About 4-5 days easy riding and your're there!

benson
24-07-2007, 08:27 PM
And I suppose it depends if you have secure storage here in the UK...I'm sure there would be a few of us willing to look after it and ride it a bit for you!;)

Zimbo
24-07-2007, 08:35 PM
I'd leave it behind, not much of Gibralter to ride round as said above! To store it, put it up on paddock stands, fresh oil, full tank of petrol, battery removed, sprayed all over with F365 or ACF-50, dust cover over it, be absolutely fine for years!
Or, sell it and buy another when you're ready - it'll depreciate anyway if you keep it!

Gimley
24-07-2007, 10:44 PM
Thanks guys and gals..

Ive got until September to decide. That is if I accept the Gib role in the first place.
Need to sort out the logistics, and of course the extra dosh, for moving over there. :D

Why does life have to be so complicated ;)

spanish biker
25-07-2007, 02:49 PM
Hi Gimley i know theres not a lot of road on gib but come over the border, hell i can show you some roads to ride, i live a couple of hours from gib, not a bad stretch of road now, if you leave yours in u.k. we could meet up and you could ride one of mine for a bit , i could even rent you one for a small charge.:woot:

Bodybag
25-07-2007, 03:40 PM
I'd jump on the opportunity in an instant. I had the same thing with Airbus a few years ago and spent just over a year in Toulouse. You'll be able to look back in years to come and say "I did that" rather than looking back and saying "I could have done that". Get the ferry from Portsmouth as has already been suggested then ride the rest of the way. I'm sure your company will foot the bill if they're half decent.

Gimley
25-07-2007, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the offer of the rental bike :mand:

Been looking and I think if I were to take a ride down I would get the ferry to Bilbao then ride the rest of the way.

Just found out today that my firm havent even put the quote in for the work we are tendering for but when they spoke to me the other day they made it sound like it was nailed on.
And I also found out how much the quote will be and not sure the Gib government will swing for it so dont know exactly whats going to happen for a month or so yet.
But, as it has got me thinking along those lines, and I know the wife would be up for it, I may just start looking for work overseas.

Heres hoping the Gib job goes ahead.

G