PDA

View Full Version : recommend me tyres for a 93 monster 900

Edcase
19-07-2007, 04:40 PM
My new steed has been dry stored for 11 years, so despite the tyres being as new, they are being changed as they are bound to be 'off'.

The bike will be used for a mix of commuting and weekend ride outs, maybe a trackday here or there.

Also in terms of sizing can I increase the rear from the 170x60 to say a 180x55?

I also note pirelli have a £40 cashback offer, how are the corsa III's?

finally, anywhere particularly recommended in south london?

thanks
ed

zerocool
19-07-2007, 04:53 PM
I wanted the pirelli diablo III but when i went to essential rubber (east london) they told me that they dont do the sizes that i was after for my monster (600 dark 98).
I asked them a solution for commuting in london ,so wet etc.etc.etc, with good grip and the occasional track day.( that as soon i sort out my kit i will do) .They offer michelin pilot power on the back and pilot power 2ct on the front. Apparently the mix that they done is perfect for me so far.
They look apparently the same and the only difference is in the compound.
I just put clipon on my bike and i must tell that i love this new tyres when cornering(previous one were pirelli diablo).
Hope this help:yoparty:

Kato
19-07-2007, 05:07 PM
Do a search this subject has been done a thousand times, most people think pirelli daiblo's are the dog's in what ever form my personal fav's are diablo III's

spacemonkey
19-07-2007, 07:18 PM
In London, the best place is FWR tyres near the Oval, Kennington
http://www.fwr.co.uk/
They are simply the cheapest for quality tyres.
I spent 5 years commuting around london on my 93 900 and most of that time was on Avon Azaro STs. Forget super sticky sports tyres as they won't get hot enough to work at their best- sports touring tyres will work best around London. Also my Azaros are good for 10k miles a pair...

Yes, you can run a 180 tyre on the back but the bike will not be as quick steering or 'flickable'. The 175 Azaro looks fine actually..

gary tompkins
19-07-2007, 07:37 PM
Yes, you can run a 180 tyre on the back but the bike will not be as quick steering or 'flickable'. The 175 Azaro looks fine actually..

I agree - the monster does (according to popular opinion) handle's better on a 170 rear, but many owners swap to the 180 because they prefer the look of a fatter rear end. Also 180's are usually cheaper if bought paired with a suitable front, as it's the combination most sportsbikes use. The 170 is a less commonly used size - so harder to blag a deal on.

I would predict any tyre would be a big improvement on the 11 year old originals, bearing in mind tyre developement has progressed a long way in that time. My own early 600 came fitted with rock hard 5 year old Dunlop D205's, and to say they were lethal in the wet was putting it mildly :on: A set of new Dragon evo's sorted the handling instantly, and I've always made sure I have decent rubber on since.

Pirelli Diablo's, Avon ST's and Michelin Pilot's all get top marks from me :thumbsup:...

...Oh and the 205/40/17 Tornado Alpha's on the trike work well too - but they probably don't count in this survey ;)

Spike
19-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Got pilots on my 93 900 great on the track, Have you booked in for the track day on the 27th then or is this a bit short notice

Zimbo
19-07-2007, 10:44 PM
Diablo Corsa IIIs work very well oon the M900 but are probably a bit overkill for comuting and weekend rides, standard Diablos would do as well or better and last longer too.

I run a 180 Corsa rear and have not noticed any drop in handling performance, road or track.

spacemonkey
20-07-2007, 07:38 AM
I forgot that if it has the original tyres on, which it very well might have, they are the dreaded Michelin AM89s and absolutely useless even when new!

On mine, I did notice the difference going up to 180, then back down again the next time. It wasn't tyre wear either as the tyre was replaced due to a puncture. I was running Michelin Hi Sports at the time and when I needed a new one quick, they didn;t have any 180s left in stock so back to 170. I have always had 170s since. Ok, so in London you're rarely going to get full lean (can still go mental though..) so your biggest concern is to get a good dual compound tyre to try to even out the wear as you will spend most of the time upright when giving it stick, and fronts will wear out the same due to manic breaking. All the time...

And don't forget the loud cans/open airbox to scare the tourists out of the way and let Cabbies know you're coming.