PDA

View Full Version : Computer Help...

Shandy
09-07-2007, 06:46 PM
....now i knew ironing was bad news but while ironing last night (a very rare seen ocourance in my my place) i knocked over a pint of which half landed on my laptop :Furious: :Furious:

Now i did all the rubish from the manual strip parts off blah blah dry out blah blah etc etc then put back together. Now i kinda knew it were knackered as soon as the liquid hit but all i get now is three of the battery check lights flashing nothing else no lights, not even a sypathy beep :thumbsdown:

Its a Dell Latidude D610, is there any slim hope it's gonna survive or is it a call to the house insurance people??? And if it is dead is there any hope of recovering what was on the hard drive???

Why of why couldn't it have been my works laptop, had to be my old one didn't it :fou: :fou:

Cheers,

The muppet know as Shandy, last time i do any ironing i tell thee!!!!!

Blah blah
09-07-2007, 07:45 PM
Now i did all the rubish from the manual strip parts off blah blah dry out blah blah etc etc then put back together...

Yes, what do you want ???!! I don't want any parts stripping off, thank you very much, and I don't think I'll ever dry out:booze:
As for the computor, probably fugged, don't know much about 'em, got an imac...

benson
09-07-2007, 07:59 PM
Me too - I'm a Mac driver but when I had a similar thing happen on an old acer (it was red wine...) I was able to recover the hard drive by removing it and putting it into another housing which wasn't wwater/wine damaged - the hard drive should be OK provided you get it out of the casing and it's not been soaked through! Good luck...and then go buy a Mac....

Sparky
09-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Shandy,

Let it dry out for a few days and hopefully it'll recover, there's a lot of little nooks and cranies were liquid gets trapped.

If it still doesn't work the hard disk can be taken out and plugged into another PC to retrieve the data, assuming the hard disk is not fooked.

Chris

Pedro
09-07-2007, 08:06 PM
You're an idiot......

but we knew that anyway! :chuckle:

Gadget
09-07-2007, 08:15 PM
Did the HDD get wet?
If not I have a USB caddy that it can plug into.
It will then act as a big pen drive and all the data can be recovered.

Keep the battery out of the Laptop and buy some isopropyl alcohol in a spray can. If nothing has shorted you can use it to clean all the electrical parts it may then be possible no harm has ocurred. But if anything has shorted due to beer then you are usually out of luck.

crust
09-07-2007, 08:24 PM
try banging it very hard againt your head

this will dislodge any water still in it

honest it will ;)

guaranteed to make it work, has to be the head, mind.

:twak: Crust

Shandy
09-07-2007, 08:24 PM
I think your all spot on it's fooked, just taken it appart and its all sticky and beer smelling inside, bugger. I'll try giving it a spray with PCB cleaner but i'm not holding up much hope :thumbsdown:

I think the hard drive may have surrived though.

Gadget where do i get me hands on a USB do da that will fit the toshiba disk drive do da ive just yanked out??

Cheers,

Shandy

PS feck off Ped

Shandy
09-07-2007, 08:25 PM
try banging it very hard againt your head

this will dislodge any water still in it

honest it will ;)

guaranteed to make it work, has to be the head, mind.

:twak: Crust

Tried that hurt after a while with the sharp edges, i was more upset i split beer though :worried:

Gadget
09-07-2007, 08:31 PM
http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=373&prepg=2

This company is pretty good.

I use them quite a lot.

Shandy
09-07-2007, 08:52 PM
Cheers Gary, i'll get me one of them on order.

Do i have to make the laptop hard drive a slave by putting a jumper thingy on or will it sort itelf out???

Gadget
09-07-2007, 09:01 PM
You usually only have 1 HDD in a laptop set to master. When in the USB caddy it is still set to master it is an external device and by default takes the next available drive letter. No drivers are needed on mine I have 3 and use them for backups. Very handy when transfering larger files and folders.

Shandy
09-07-2007, 09:31 PM
You usually only have 1 HDD in a laptop set to master. When in the USB caddy it is still set to master it is an external device and by default takes the next available drive letter. No drivers are needed on mine I have 3 and use them for backups. Very handy when transfering larger files and folders.

Thanks mate, sounds like fingers crossed for trying with the box do da when i get one :flag:

bod
09-07-2007, 09:38 PM
Take battery out,put in airing cupboard,leave for three days,hope!

Rogerg
09-07-2007, 09:39 PM
have you got anything you've not crashed?

Shandy
09-07-2007, 09:41 PM
have you got anything you've not crashed?

Yeah your new toy, when was it you said i could have a go :look: :look:

How is the hypermotard???

Rogerg
09-07-2007, 09:51 PM
bonkers - I invaded London village on it today, its awesome in town being so light and narrow. you can turn so much tighter than on the monster and all. And what with the elevated riding position you get a good view of the road ahead.

I getting expert at flicking the mirrors in and out. It is very wide with them both out.

giler
10-07-2007, 08:05 AM
I never throught I would hear about you wasting beer!

Plum
10-07-2007, 09:05 AM
Airing cupboard is a good thing to try first, but as its beer it maybe a bit sticky so may not work the same way as it does with water.

Shandy
12-07-2007, 08:20 AM

Well i'm amazed the laptop may be screwed but the hard drive survived, stuck it in the little £10 box plugged it into another computer and off it went :thumbsup:

All the files are still there although i think i need to reload all the programmes as none of them work where it can't find ddl files whatever the hell they are, but im just happy i didn't loose any stuff by the looks of things.

Cheers for the advice Gadget.

sadbiker
12-07-2007, 09:11 AM
dynamic link library...... Used by programs to run, Your best just getting all your data files off ie .txt .doc and picture files etc.

Sounds like you still got a limp wrist.......

squiffything
12-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Andy if you're gonna junk the old laptop can I put a dibs in for the CAPS LOCK key from the keyboard. The little ankle biters have lost mine at home when they "were not playing" on my laptop as they are not suppose to.

Either that or it was the ghost at our house again.

Shandy
12-07-2007, 10:34 AM
Andy if you're gonna junk the old laptop can I put a dibs in for the CAPS LOCK key from the keyboard. The little ankle biters have lost mine at home when they "were not playing" on my laptop as they are not suppose to.

Either that or it was the ghost at our house again.

Yeah no probs i'll let you know, i was going to give it all a spray with PCB cleaner in the slim hope that it might run again but as the insides smell like a barmaids apron i think its dead.

You kids need more training, if that was me i would have lost a really important key like enter or the space bar :chuckle: :chuckle: