PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pressure Switch

Buzz
09-07-2007, 06:00 PM
If, like me, your oil pressure switch fails every three months or so (I'm on my forth), then you're probably buying new ones from Vauxhall (or at least you will be if you've searched threads on this subject).

The original 'alternative' GM part number quoted is usually: 90534902

These were superceeded by (the equally cr*p and unreliable): 55354325

Been to Vauxhalls today to buy my next batch and the parts Guy laughed. "We've been selling these by the bucket load" he said. "They're so bad they've finally designed one that works" :chuckle: :chuckle:

NEW alternative GM part number :93190643

You still have to replace the washer, but the new one fits as before, has the same switching pressure range, and is a trendy BLUE instead of black. £5 each (I bought two - old habits die hard!).

Buzz
09-07-2007, 06:15 PM
Now all I've got to do is find cheap alternatives to the neutral switch (my second just failed - £32 from Ducati) and the rear brake switch (again, my second has just packed in).

Add to the list above the side stand switch relay (bypassed when it failed) and starter solenoid (replaced), and the fuel level warning sender (works MOST of the time, but shows empty sometimes when I've just filled up) and you wonder where Ducati source their electrical stuff from :thumbsdown:

gary tompkins
09-07-2007, 07:19 PM
My last oil pressure switch only cost £6 - and that was a pukka Ducati one. Given that it has so far lasted 18 months, and that in 12 months you've got through 3 (crap) Vauxhall ones at £5 a pop the Ducati one actually works out cheaper?

Thanks for the tip but I'll stick with the "expensive" Ducati alternative :rolleyes:

crust
09-07-2007, 08:14 PM
I'm amazed, never had any of these problems on my 94 900

you sure you havent got a regulator problem?

Once a year, I take each connecor apart and give it a good squirt with WD40

:confused: Crust

Pedro
09-07-2007, 08:17 PM
Me neither, I've only changed one in four years and that's cos a stone hit and broke the plastic

Zimbo
09-07-2007, 08:48 PM
Again, my M900 is, as far as I know, still on it's original switch (1995) and the 2001 race bike one still works perfectly too!

craigie
09-07-2007, 09:43 PM
Mine kept going because it was 'blowing' or something. The rings were wrong on that model and the engine was going to eat itself, I too had thought it was bad batch of switches but it was just a bad batch of engines, hence 'not a ducati'.

bod
09-07-2007, 09:45 PM
Hmm........... mines starting to leak for the last couple of weeks ,good job I work at a Vauxhall dealership:)

Buzz
10-07-2007, 06:07 AM
I'm amazed, never had any of these problems on my 94 900

you sure you havent got a regulator problem?

Once a year, I take each connecor apart and give it a good squirt with WD40

:confused: Crust

It's not actually an 'electrical' problem with any of these failures. It's the mechanical working of the switches themselves. I take Garys' point re. the oil pressure switch (although I suspect they're made by the same people), but the rest of the stuff on my list is genuine ducati.

I've taken failed neutral and rear brake switches apart (just out of interest) and couldn't believe how 'cheaply' they were made (rough tin contacts running in plastic channels with return springs that look like they're out of a biro).

And yes. I keep them all very clean and spray regularly with contact cleaner then WD40...

jerry
10-07-2007, 10:04 AM
Ducati use a lot of FIAT Marrelli electrical parts, the ECU is a FIAT unit as are many other bits , cam belt wheels ,and some sensors and special tools.