PDA

View Full Version : Air Cooled? Water Cooled?

fatbloke
05-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Which is the best ?

The answer is right here

katana
05-07-2007, 01:18 PM
Aircooled and 851-888 frame.

JerryXt
05-07-2007, 01:30 PM
since you closed my thread :twak: I've got to vote watercooled!

fatbloke
05-07-2007, 01:35 PM
Hi Jerry
Not closed really just added to
we've never had a poll on this subject (incredibly)
So I've sort of moved it sideways due to your
excellent prompt.

JerryXt
05-07-2007, 01:39 PM
Hi Jerry
Not closed really just added to
we've never had a poll on this subject (incredibly)
So I've sort of moved it sideways due to your
excellent prompt.

LOL! No worries. Serious tho, I'm interested in why? Not just 'cos I've got one'.

BTW, katana - that's my ideal monster - after the rs obviously!

nik_the_brief
05-07-2007, 01:41 PM
Aesthetically - airocooled every time. Maintenance-wise air-cooled again.

Performance-wise obviously the ugly one wins but I'm dead happy with my aging 900 so I vote air-cooled.

fatbloke
05-07-2007, 01:45 PM
We're all entitled to our own opinions its just that all
those who's opinion is water cooled are best are wrong.

In my opinion

nik_the_brief
05-07-2007, 01:50 PM
We're all entitled to our own opinions its just that all
those who's opinion is water cooled are best are wrong.

In my opinion

Agreed. (ten letters or more required!)

scrapps
05-07-2007, 01:51 PM
Air cooled...... who wants to see that ugly plumbing... not me

Bodybag
05-07-2007, 02:09 PM
Watercooled. If I wanted to ride an antique design I'd have bought an old Triumph!!

nik_the_brief
05-07-2007, 02:21 PM
Watercooled. If I wanted to ride an antique design I'd have bought an old Triumph!!

Ahem - I think the word you were looking for is 'classic' not 'antique'! :chuckle:

J.P
05-07-2007, 02:23 PM
Can I vote twice ?
Once for the air cooled versions looking better
and a second time for the waterr cooled one I'm getting.

sadbiker
05-07-2007, 02:37 PM
The other day I had best of both worlds riding my aircooled bike back through some of the worst rain ever, the bike suddenly become watercooled with out any additional pipeing. temperature went as low as 58 degrees.

Only problem is its weather dependenant and rain is not to everyones taste.

Seb_uk
05-07-2007, 02:40 PM
Aesthetically it's definately air cooled.
Having said that, my dream bike is an S4RS in ivory with a red frame. Now, if only I had a spare ten grand.........!

bad-yeti
05-07-2007, 02:41 PM
In my personal opinion I prefer the Watercooled look, it seems to fill the bike out more and make it more, erm....butch.

Plus loads of more parts for your money (edit: To go wrong)

DesmoDom
05-07-2007, 02:53 PM
Obviously we're not entitled to our opinion, seeing my reply has been removed.
Anyway, there's no such thing as better (or worse), cos everyone bought what they wanted, so the question answers its self, don't it. Or should the poll be, "Everyone who's owned both types, which one do you like the most"
Coz that's the only real way you are going to know.

Bollox, I've got involved when I said I wouldn't

Baz

JerryXt
05-07-2007, 03:08 PM
Obviously we're not entitled to our opinion, seeing my reply has been removed....
Baz

We got hijacked by the moderator. :drunk:

bad-yeti
05-07-2007, 03:13 PM
"Everyone who's owned both types, which one do you like the most"

Hmmm, well I've bought an S4R Senna, and am selling the S2R as a result, I prefer the S4R in every respect.

That's my answer. :idea:

Shandy
05-07-2007, 03:31 PM
Ford Cortina raidiator.......very wrong.

Air cooled :D

fatbloke
05-07-2007, 03:40 PM
Obviously we're not entitled to our opinion, seeing my reply has been removed.
Anyway, there's no such thing as better (or worse), cos everyone bought what they wanted, so the question answers its self, don't it. Or should the poll be, "Everyone who's owned both types, which one do you like the most"

Bollox, I've got involved when I said I wouldn't

Baz

Baz your post has not been deleted its on the original thread
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=23435

J.P
05-07-2007, 03:40 PM
The Ford Cortina Is A Classic.

Guzzirider
05-07-2007, 05:24 PM
130rwbhp makes it a no brainer- watercooled for me!!!

(I secretly prefer the look of the aircooled bikes but would miss the kick at 7k revs of the S4Rs).

claicerrig
05-07-2007, 07:17 PM
I hate the anti Rad movement your all hoseist the lot of you

Long live the RADIATOR :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Blah blah
05-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Who gives a flying thingy if it's water or a air cooled, as long as it's a Monster ???
but then again, just voted air cooled !

DesmoDom
05-07-2007, 10:03 PM
Thank's Terry, I stand corrected, I wasn't removed. :thumbsup:
Still not gonna vote though, coz I like both.

Baz

gary tompkins
05-07-2007, 10:50 PM
Air cooled for me all the way :thumbsup:

NattyBoy
06-07-2007, 08:09 AM
This is a stupid poll and I will be putting your new watch on ebay in protest....:mand:

queen_gpants
06-07-2007, 08:56 AM
Definitely air cooled for looks, Leigh's S4 was an awesome bike but that bloody radiator even with the fancy carbon bits on the ends looked so wrong.

Only downside of having an air cooled bike is the time it takes to warm up from a cold start, 10 minutes sitting there twiddling my thumbs whilst my neighbours are cursing me for waking them up, thank god I dont commute anymore !

Still at least if you get stuck in traffic you don't have to worry about overheating !

markus
06-07-2007, 11:01 AM
Air cooled all the way!!!!!!!

Wouldn't stop me having a water cooled one tho (as a second bike of course)

nambduke
06-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Has to be aircooled!

I'd rather look at something which is pleasing on the eye with adequate performance.

I hate plumbing!

Regards,
Mark Nambduke

MilesB
06-07-2007, 12:04 PM
Water cooling has it's place, but not (in my opinion) on a Monster. It just spoils the purity of the design.
Of course someone will now point out that that the original Galuzi concept was to use a water cooled engine...

Miles

NattyBoy
06-07-2007, 02:19 PM
the original Galuzi concept was to use a water cooled engine...:D

yeharrr
06-07-2007, 03:47 PM
I like my coffee with caffeine in, and my bike with umph.
I liked my v.max with the v boost trick up its sleeve and I like my S4 with its 916 engine.
So, water cooled, but only for the va va voom.

bigredduke
06-07-2007, 09:24 PM
I couldn't say which version of the monster is best simply because I have only had experience of a water-cooled jobby, namely an S4R. I love the grunt that it has but I must admit, I think the air-cooled engine looks less encumbered and more attractive, especially close up. Clearly, the appearance of an engine is less important on a fully-faired machine than on a naked one.

So I suppose for performance wc (although I would be kidding myself if I thought I got even close to using all of it regularly) but for looks ac!

The above should explain why I haven't voted!

gjfevans
06-07-2007, 11:20 PM
The thing I like most about my water cooled beast is just that. How much of a beast it looks. The water cooled Monsters live up to their name far more than their air cooled cousins. The whole thing looks like its been shoe horned into the frame and that it should not really be there, its appeal is in its uglyness, its so bad its good. The same is true of the Speed Triple that fact that it has all of its guts exposed is strangly attractive (I would not say the same about a woman)
A Monster by name....a Monster by nature:yoparty:

Shandy
06-07-2007, 11:58 PM
Looking at the pole results so far i think....

......case closed m'lud :cool:

Chris & Nean
07-07-2007, 12:38 AM
There’s something pure and raw about a motorbike, everything is in view and what you see is what you get, all the engineering is on display and much more so than when its in “cars” for example, where lots of it is hidden behind body panels, Burt Hopwood said something like this in a book he wrote about the British motorcycle industry, in the book he describes how the industry ultimately crumbled when faced with foreign competition, the book was called (What Ever Happened To The Great British Motorcycle Industry), in it he goes on about being a young engineer and walking along broad street in Birmingham in the 1920’s and looking through the plate glass at cars and motorcycles up for sale in the showrooms, he said he appreciated the engineering he could see in the bikes right from chromed domed nuts and coil spring supported saddle’s to cooling fins in the engines, he could actually see the engineering in the machines, he said this attracted him to join BSA or some such company, Bert ended up being a main player in the world of motorcycle design.

An air cooled engine has a kind of rawness about it I think, if you spit on it or **** on it, it sizzles when its hot, also it has a sort of purity as well, especially if you consider that just beneath the root of those cooling fins of the ally barrels there’s pistons running in very hot oil.

I remember reading that h2o is a quite incredible substance and that it is the best option for use in extreme heat exchange situations like nuclear reactors, its good in domestic heating applications too but I’m glad my bike uses mere air cooling, its got purity and simplicity and rawness.

fatbloke
07-07-2007, 05:07 AM
Looking at the pole results so far i think....

......case closed m'lud :cool:

according to the database 75%/ 25% is the ownership in UKMOC
didnt really need the poll then

Guzzirider
07-07-2007, 10:30 AM
I've always preferred to be in the minority rather than part of the herd!

walkingpictures
07-07-2007, 11:37 PM
Which is the best ?

The answer is right here

Doesn't matter Tel,me old mate,as long as it is a Monster :thumbsup:

Kimbo

JerryXt
08-07-2007, 07:09 PM
I've always preferred to be in the minority rather than part of the herd!

...the minority at the front :chuckle:

jerry
08-07-2007, 11:34 PM
cant vote as I have one of each type and love them both, The S4 is more powerful and Sexy but of couse more complicated, and the M750 is just classic and loads of satisfying fun.

makemdan
11-07-2007, 10:45 PM
3 airs & 1 water but only one of these is a Monster and its air AND oil cooled.

zxebeast
12-07-2007, 10:09 PM
monsters were not designed to have a BBQ grill hidin that beautiful horizontal cylinder.

:D

DesmoDom
13-07-2007, 08:39 AM
Right !!!, How many of you who think liquid cooled Monsters are the spawn of the Devil and should be destroyed, would say No ! if they were offered one for free. Come on be honest, how many "only air cooled for me" hypocrites are there in this club.
:D :D :D

Baz

NattyBoy
13-07-2007, 08:46 AM
monsters were not designed to have a BBQ grill hidin that beautiful horizontal cylinder.

:D

See above;

Of course someone will now point out that that the original Galuzi concept was to use a water cooled engine...

zxebeast
13-07-2007, 11:59 AM
Right !!!, How many of you who think liquid cooled Monsters are the spawn of the Devil and should be destroyed, would say No ! if they were offered one for free. Come on be honest, how many "only air cooled for me" hypocrites are there in this club.
:D :D :D

Baz

well baz. offer us 1 and let us think about it :D

i will probly say yes but between a carbed m900 and an s4/sr4 i take the m900 any day.

See above;

well nattyboy i dont think its the best argument to say that it was galuzzi's original idea and was then SCRAPPED. n for good reason.... maybe that's why it has become such an iconic design...

enjoy your monsters (even if the watercooled ones):biggrin:

NattyBoy
13-07-2007, 12:01 PM
will probly say yes but between a carbed m900 and an s4/sr4 i take the m900 any day.

---You'd have to catch it first ;)

zxebeast
13-07-2007, 12:20 PM
will probly say yes but between a carbed m900 and an s4/sr4 i take the m900 any day.

appreciate the advice. yeah im plannin to catch an m900 at some point. :chuckle:

giler
13-07-2007, 12:36 PM

Swap you this weekend?

DesmoDom
13-07-2007, 04:17 PM
Look, what's not to love. :D :D :D

Baz

No it's not on offer, before anyone asks !!!:p

claicerrig
13-07-2007, 05:05 PM
Where`s me Dark Glasses :cool: :cool:

Needs more Carbon fiber i think :p

DesmoDom
13-07-2007, 10:09 PM
No more carbon, but there's lots more on there that could be polished and maybe get the frame chromed :idea:

Baz

Guzzirider
13-07-2007, 10:29 PM
I've had the pleasure of riding a 750 and 900 aircooled Monster- and I enjoyed them both.

But the S4Rs makes them feel very effeminate- there is nothing like the kick you get from that animal of a motor- and it brakes and handles better too even though its a bit heavier.

For me, the ridng experience will always outweigh aesthetics- its a motorbike not a sculpture.

DesmoDom
14-07-2007, 07:40 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself !!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Baz

p.s. Guy, I'm still on the lookout for a 850T3 / Cali to restore, looking to spend around £1000 - £1200, or less, as long as it runs and in mostly there :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: