PDA

View Full Version : ducatis Unreliable ,Rubbish!!

S4 MAD
03-07-2007, 04:24 PM
me and better half took a week out touring around cormwall landsend etc etc
but i think out of 8 days we only had about 2 days dry ,the rest of weather just poured down and was exstremely windy wich ment about 800 miles ish of the 900miles we did was in torrential rain . my bike and better halfs little monnie buttercup never gave us a minute of trouble .:thumbsup:

paulyh
03-07-2007, 05:09 PM
I totally agree, I've just come back from a week in France and Germany on my S4, I did 1700 miles and most of those were in the rain which on the whole was torrential! I am happy to say the bike didn't miss a beat!!:woot:

nik_the_brief
03-07-2007, 05:42 PM
Absolutely...

I covered 1,200 miles in France in the space of 6 days on my 10 year old Monnie without it missing a beat. Calais to Bordeaux - the pretty way down there via Normandy on Route Nationales then a straight 550 mile 90mph+ blast up the peage to Calais again without stopping except to fill up with fuel.

All it needed was an oil top up and the chain adjusting when I got home.

sadbiker
03-07-2007, 07:16 PM
Just done 2874.9 miles door to door, visited France did the alps (Petite St Bernard Pass), Italy (WDW) Rimini , Austria alps, Germany Bernkastlen Kau near Trier, Luxembourg didn't put our Feet down, Belgium and back to France to come back home. Just Finished washing it. The wheels were black now white again. Bike never missed a beat all the way.

David Matthews
03-07-2007, 07:46 PM
Just done 2874.9 miles door to door, visited France did the alps (Petite St Bernard Pass), Italy (WDW) Rimini , Austria alps, Germany Bernkastlen Kau near Trier, Luxembourg didn't put our Feet down, Belgium and back to France to come back home. Just Finished washing it. The wheels were black now white again. Bike never missed a beat all the way.

I am still finding my way regarding fuel consumption on my S2R1000, I have read that the tank range isn't very high on this model. Did you have any worries about getting to the next fuel stop?

sadbiker
03-07-2007, 08:02 PM
The worst was when the light started Flickering at 89 miles, Filled up at about 105. This was going Flat out into a headwind through germany and luxembourg.

Personally when touring abroad I tend to look For a petrol stop From 100 miles, this should give hopeFully up to about 120-130 beFore conking out and pushing. Lucklily I have always Found a garage in time.

David Matthews
03-07-2007, 08:18 PM
Thanks for that, I am hoping to do a bit of touring on the continent at some point

crust
04-07-2007, 04:10 PM
Also just back from WDW in Rimini

3000 odd miles, very odd with a few detours here and there

three Monsters, only one problem and that was as a result of a modified undertray wearing through a wire and shorting it.

Nothing to do with my fat arse crushing it at all ;)

Sorted in 10 minutes, sotted by Pedro :pedro:

other than that nothing

and yes it rained for hundreds of miles, though the other side of the Alps it was brilliant

:)Crust

katana
04-07-2007, 04:51 PM
Ducati in reliable shocker.

Mine did the elephant rally and back only issue was a puncture.

Oh and that was with badly adjusted valves and a lose cam pulley.

MrsJel
04-07-2007, 07:08 PM
Don't like to tempt fate - 8700 miles 1 year, no probs. Been through just about every weather, starts first time every time. Most reliable Ducati yet.

Better look out for ladders, black cats and other things - cant type now with fingers crossed.

Carole

scrumpster
05-07-2007, 05:51 PM
I must just be incredibly unlucky then :chuckle:

Shandy
05-07-2007, 06:33 PM
Nothing to do with my fat arse crushing it at all ;)

Yeah right, your living in a dream world :chuckle: :chuckle:

Anyway is time for another giraffe while bowling before shooting each other next to the cheapest hotel in France?? :cool:

On the reliability front if Ped's and crust's old nails can both make it Italy and back, some of it in right ****e weather then anything is possible :thumbsup:

crust
05-07-2007, 07:45 PM
Having withdrawal symptoms

so I've stacked six cans of lager on top of each other

and am going to chuck my helmet at the telly

:)Crust

sadbiker
06-07-2007, 09:46 AM
More reliable than shandys wrist...........

Well mines just been dropped off for its 6k service (gulp) should find out later how reliable it was,,, the only issue I had in italy was the E45, one hell of a bone shaker expecting a few bolts will need tightening up.

bad-yeti
06-07-2007, 10:33 AM
I've broken down 3 times on my S2R in 3000 miles :-(

In all fairness I suppose I should point out that each time was due to running out of fuel :D

banditloon
06-07-2007, 11:56 AM
I'm still on the Isle of Wight at the moment. Speedo broke on the first day here (damn Military Road is bumpy as fook!!), so I have no idea how many miles have been covered (averaging a full tank of petrol everyday..... 13 days so far.... 1300 miles ish then!!). Apart from the speedo and the indicator filling up with sand, the old '93 Nessie is still going strong! Rain, wind and hail hasn't given her any problems. Last day today, maybe she'll break down now and give up!!!

"I DONT WANT TO GO HOME!!!!!"

:chuckle:

MilesB
06-07-2007, 12:11 PM
4 1/2 years and 18,000 miles, only issue was the low fuel sensor didn't work when I got the bike - warranty job. Oh and warping front brake disks - Brembos both times, so not actually Ducati's fault.

Miles

Pedro
06-07-2007, 07:01 PM
Take one 1993 Monster 900 and go to World Ducati Week = 2553 mile round trip, and turning over 35,000 miles in total in fourteen years.

The bike ran beautifully (ok it used a bit of oil but at 14 years old that's to be expected) all through the trip. The only "moment" was on a very rain soaked French motorway when the open airbox and filter got completely soaked and it coughed when opening the throttle. As soon as the roads dried a little, all back to normal.

Ped

SazzaG
06-07-2007, 07:07 PM
I.... 13 days so far.... 1300 miles ish then!!)

Crickey, you must have covered each road at least 10 times! Or are now very dizzy, and will soon fly off the island at a tangent....

banditloon
09-07-2007, 12:35 PM
Crickey, you must have covered each road at least 10 times! Or are now very dizzy, and will soon fly off the island at a tangent....

I did.. I think :chuckle:

Basically, I was on holiday, I bought the Monster for that reason (£28 return on the ferry compaired to £200 ish for my old Transit van!!). Out nearly everyday on the old beast and must of covered the A3054 and A3055 about 10 times :chuckle:

Only two things went wrong in the end, the speedo (which I'll look at this weekend) and my RST leathers broke!

johnnystorm
09-07-2007, 03:32 PM
I'll not say anything so as to keep the positive vibe! ;)