PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, but the Hypermotard does nothing for me!

bigredduke
02-07-2007, 08:33 PM
A number of people in t' club seem to be mightily impressed by the beast, even to the extent of putting money where their mouth are/is and jolly good luck & enjoy I say!

Maybe it's because I am a bit short in the leg department and therefore unlikely to be able to hold one upright, or maybe it's because I haven't seen one in the flesh but I don't find the HM particularly appealing on looks alone.

However, I do think the sport classic 1000s is absolutely stunning, especially in red. Perhaps it's because it reminds me of the first Ducati I ever rode over 25 years ago - the 900ss in blue and silver. I also loved the later black & gold models.

It may be age and therefore nostalgia-related but I reckon I could be persuaded to give up the Monster for one! There are just 3 factors against:
1 I don't like cleaning spoked wheels!
2 I doubt my back would cope with the riding position!
3 Mrs BRD wouldn't allow it!

Oh well, I can always dream! Meanwhile feast your eyes (especially the side view):
http://www.ducati.com/en/bikes/my2007/ModelPage.jhtml?family=SportClassic&model=SCSPORT1000S-07

P.S. I still intend to have a go on the HM on the Monster trackday!

scrumpster
02-07-2007, 08:51 PM
I sat on one and didn't feel comfortable enough, and I'm not sure I could part with my Monster. It would be a great second bike, but I do a fair few miles which the Monster covers with ease and is very comfortable. The looks grow on you after a while. It's not a Monster it's a very different bike and with a completely different purpose - each to their own and sorry but I don't like the look of the Sports Classic it's too bulbous!!!

J.P
02-07-2007, 08:52 PM
I'm sure you'll be kicking off a mighty big discussion on this topic.
I'm personally with you, I saw some HM's at P & H at the weekend and just thought the 'nose' of the bike just a tad pointy and aggressive, almost like one of the cartoon teachers out of the video from Pink Floyd for Brick in the Wall.

scrumpster
02-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Yep tend to agree JP

gjfevans
02-07-2007, 09:08 PM
I can certainly understand the appeal of the MS but for me it would be the biposto I do not like the big faring on the 1000s. That said given the choice of either of them or the monster it would be no competition

JMo
02-07-2007, 09:58 PM
I saw some HM's at P & H at the weekend and just thought the 'node' of the bike just a tad pointy and aggressive, almost like one of the cartoon teachers out of the video from Pink Floyd for Brick in the Wall.

You think that's bad, you should see the nose (with an 's' x) on the new KTM 690SM - now that really is a beak, and bastard ugly! The Hypermotard is positively svelt in comparison!

xxx

gary tompkins
02-07-2007, 10:01 PM
It rates as low on my Ducati wish-list as the Multistrada (pants)

Got F-all to do with seat height either - it's just butt ugly IMO

Chris & Nean
02-07-2007, 10:07 PM
Ducati is a small firm and yet its still trying to keep everyone happy by offering a compleat range of motorcycles, hats off to it for that, I recon that the HM is (and looks like) any another Monster anyway, its a naked and powerfull motorbike like the original Monster and it adds scope for off road fun aswell.

manwithredbike
02-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Maybe it's just my age but i think the classic is gorgeous. I cut my teeth on old triumphs and particularly a racing uk bonneville.

gremlin
02-07-2007, 10:22 PM
I must admit they look great for hooley factor but I do think the front end looks a bit like Plug from the Beano or Dandy! I'd love one but being a short arse with a knackered back puts it out of my reach so to speak.

Scotty
02-07-2007, 10:41 PM
function over form in a way, just look at that ground clearance , speed bumps are your playground

the sport classic is an odd one id say why not buy the original rather than the modern immataion ? im sure theres a load of rose tinted sunglasses type nostalga situation but with old age some sort of sense must kick in and you buy a modern piece of kit for reliability much like the new mini vs old mini / new beetle vs old beetle . i seem to have lost my train of thought again :?

slob
02-07-2007, 10:47 PM
As long as it doesn't have a bloody great radiator on the front....

Chris & Nean
02-07-2007, 10:50 PM
You aint lost your train of thought Scotty, your right on target m8, i wanted too buy a Velocette Thruxton untill i discovered they go for 10 grand, I got much more performance from an S2R at half the price :mand:

Pixx
03-07-2007, 02:03 AM
Personally, I aspire to the current S2R 1000, but love my 695 and need to do more miles before I consider moving "up". What's it like to move about, Scrumpster?
As someone who used to ride a Moto Morini 500 sport, I've been really interested to read the reviews of the new Corsaro. But it's too tall and really weighty, though there is still a distinctive MotoMo look to the engine profile. I would never have believed, all those years ago, that I could possess my very own Ducati. What a blast! Aren't we all lucky buggers!:woot:

Plum
03-07-2007, 08:15 AM
My mate who works at the local stealership, has never made a secret of the fact that he is not a fan of Ducs in anyway....he took the Hypermotard out and is now figuring out how he can get the 7k needed to buy it!! To say he loved it is an understatement!

SazzaG
03-07-2007, 08:22 AM
Each to their own - wouldn't it be boring if we all like the same things.

For example, I'm not that keen on the 1098. It's a nice bike, but faired bikes just don't do it for me.

BFD - one thing I will say is that the short leg thing is as much of a problem as people think - it's quite a light bike. I can ride Roger's KTM supermoto, even though I can only get one foot down, because it's so light.

DavidEJM
03-07-2007, 08:41 AM
Each to their own - wouldn't it be boring if we all like the same things.

So right. The HM is not for me for all the reasons already well made (pointy nose etc) but then I never did get the whole off-road thing. Same with cars, why buy a 4x4 if all you are going to do is drop the kids at school and go shopping?

Now the Sport Classic looks fantastic, I could buy one of those and stick it in the living room just to look at it! Must say though I think the riding position would be no good for me.

Vive la difference

singletrack
03-07-2007, 09:06 AM
I know what you mean bfd - I loved my Monster and thought it was fantastic to look at, but I always found it a bit difficult to ride . I
could have stood it in the living room and stared at its beauty all day but when it came to going out for a ride I chose my Honda instead.

Initially the hypermotard did nothing for me when I saw it in pictures but then when I saw it in the flesh it looked lovely (apart from the front beak) and I thought of the possibility of swapping my Monster.

What I fell in love with was the way it felt to sit on it, the lightness whilst riding and the ability to make it your own - just like you can with the Monster.

I don't really like retro-classics or the riding position on sports bikes and the Multstrada was too high and heavy so for me a Ducati meant "Monster" which I was happy with but was not my ideal bike.

Now, with the HYM, I have found a bike that is fun, easy to ride and is still a Ducati - a win-win situation.

But as Sazza says, the world would be very boring if we all liked the same thing.

MilesB
03-07-2007, 09:07 AM
So right. The HM is not for me for all the reasons already well made (pointy nose etc) but then I never did get the whole off-road thing.

Now the Sport Classic looks fantastic, I could buy one of those and stick it in the living room just to look at it! Must say though I think the riding position would be no good for me.

Vive la difference
My point of view exactly... but then I like the Numpty-strudel too - which shows there really is no accounting for taste.

Blah blah
03-07-2007, 09:42 PM
the HM ... adds scope for off road fun aswell.
Something I'd pay to see !

benson
03-07-2007, 09:50 PM
I think the appeal for me is the difference in terms of the HYM being a totally different bike, unlike anything I've ever ridden and therefore also something to learn about - how to ride it and how to get the best out of it and me - I somehow think I will run out af ability way before the bike does!!!

Will
03-07-2007, 10:22 PM
Can't say that I'm a fan of that HypoRetard thingy either. :scratch:

Melnie Mouse
04-07-2007, 08:22 AM
oopssss try again how do you delete thread?

Melnie Mouse
04-07-2007, 08:23 AM
It's funny reading how everyone likes or dislikes some of the range, we are all different of course, and i think ducati are trying to please everyone by producing 'different' bikes for all sorts of people.

Just cos we like one or two of the Ducati models doesn't mean we have to like 'all' their range, because obviously they are all so different for different people and purposes.

I've ridden the hyper, and wasn't sure i could touch floor, but as long as i sit forward of the seat, i can and because it's light it's not scarey where as the boring bandit i've been riding last week is heavy, i actually don't feel safe on that apart from it's a 4 and i'm a twin person anyway.

I would love the hyper but as many of you said and I agree i think it's a 2nd bike, you get battered about too much on a long journey for it to be enjoyable, but then it's not meant for that is it? It's great on the back roads and even in the wet and gruesome roads at this wet stage it's brilliant, and that's what it's there for, don't make sense having the tank cover with tank bag on it though you can't see the clocks, why on earth would someone produce that for that type of book when you clearly wouldn't go touring on it?

the m/strada yes, but hyper? Hyper is about going down little back roads getting mucky and having fun fun fun!

MilesB
04-07-2007, 11:29 AM
the m/strada yes, but hyper? Hyper is about going down little back roads getting mucky and having fun fun fun!
That's why I got a Strada :D

singletrack
04-07-2007, 11:33 AM
I totally agree Mel - there is no way I would but a Hypermotard if it were my only bike.

I'm lucky enough to have another bike too so can afford the luxury of a back-road bike and an everyday/touring bike.

rich
04-07-2007, 11:41 AM
He who has the most toys wins :D

singletrack
04-07-2007, 12:01 PM
He who has the most toys wins :D

LOL - that'll be me then (or possibly Natty!)

I hope your bike is better now - sure you don't want to change it and get an S2R1000 ;)

Will
04-07-2007, 12:42 PM
The main problem with the 'Hyperetard thingy' is that it's a bit delicate and girly and effeminate looking - what you want is something a bit more manly looking like..... The BMW megamoto :D

rich
04-07-2007, 01:44 PM
LOL - that'll be me then (or possibly Natty!)

I hope your bike is better now - sure you don't want to change it and get an S2R1000 ;)

Bike is fine (cost £1.90p) to fix it
I do like your S2R1000 but i would have to sell mine first.

and i have mixed feelings about that
rich

Melnie Mouse
04-07-2007, 02:23 PM
That's why I got a Strada :D

yeah i do love the multi-strada, that's a good everything bike i think, unless you want an all out out sports bike..

Ducati i really do think do a bike for probably everything, and come on let's face it, there isn't many that cater for Tall people AND short people are they?

My chap is 6.5 and has trouble finding a bike to fit him as he's so long in leg not just long in body, multi-strada fits him fine, he test rode that against v-strom and saw the light! my friend sharon is 5.2 and a bit, can only seem to ride monsters, so you compare those to average jap bikes, either all sporty or either too tall big and heavy....

Humbucker
04-07-2007, 02:52 PM
You aint lost your train of thought Scotty, your right on target m8, i wanted too buy a Velocette Thruxton untill i discovered they go for 10 grand, I got much more performance from an S2R at half the price :mand:

One of the first bikes i rode at 15 at Brands Hatch. My uncle restored one and showed it Festival of a Thousand Bikes. Velocette Venom Thruxton, Silver with Blue faring absolutley georgeous classic bike.

MilesB
04-07-2007, 03:54 PM
yeah i do love the multi-strada, that's a good everything bike i think, unless you want an all out out sports bike..
Ahh no Mel - I got an Aprilia Pegaso Strada :o
Same sort of thing, but even less cylinders ;)

benson
04-07-2007, 04:10 PM
I think it's greaat that we all like different things and that's what makes biking so special in my eyes - the differences between us, the bikes but ultimately a love and passion for being on two wheels. Vive la difference as they say somewhere foreign....:thumbsup:

bigredduke
04-07-2007, 04:43 PM
I think it's greaat that we all like different things and that's what makes biking so special in my eyes - the differences between us, the bikes but ultimately a love and passion for being on two wheels. Vive la difference as they say somewhere foreign....:thumbsup:

Absolutement! If we all liked the same thing, chances are we would all be riding around on HonSuziKawahas!

After all, my wife decided I was worth a try over 23 years ago when I wasn't exactly beating the girls off with sticks! I'm sure she had friends questioning her taste!:scratch:

Mr Cake
17-07-2007, 07:43 PM
The more I look at the HM the more I dislike it, now the initial excitement has worn off.

Dave

benson
17-07-2007, 07:47 PM
I think it must be all that fiddling - making you short sighted!!!:mand: :mand: :mand:

Mr Cake
17-07-2007, 07:50 PM
Hmmm... Maybe. Or perhaps if I were to have a mid-life crisis I'd pick the KTM Super Duke instead ;)

Dave

benson
17-07-2007, 07:56 PM
Well I've earned at least 5 mid life crises so have many an excuse. The super duke is indeed another lovely bike - I just like the Hyper more...

Mr Cake
17-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Aye, thats fair enough! I think the KTM and the BMW are the best of a bad lot because, to be honest (and I like to be), those sort of bikes are all a bit toss.

Dave

Rogerg
17-07-2007, 08:02 PM
well I've done nearly 1000 miles on mine now and still think its a mad as 3 badgers.

Was sorry to see the monster go last night, but a little spin on HM sorted that out.

benson
17-07-2007, 08:12 PM
did you get the mph/kmph sorted out Rog? I've got a week to go - better than Christmas!!!

Rogerg
17-07-2007, 08:19 PM
no its a known problem only affecting UK bikes apparently. Its not a great problem as I only really use the trip to let me know how many miles I've got left in the tank.

are you excited yet? what extras you gone for?

Mand
17-07-2007, 08:22 PM
Well I've earned at least 5 mid life crises so have many an excuse. The super duke is indeed another lovely bike - I just like the Hyper more...

I am still waiting for my mid life crisis and as I plan to live until at least 120 - looks like I will be waiting longer.

I love the Hypermotard and like most things I set my sights on.... that baby will be mine!

Mr Cake
17-07-2007, 08:24 PM
I am still waiting for my mid life crisis
Aren't you in the middle of one now? ;)

x

Mand
17-07-2007, 08:25 PM
Aren't you in the middle of one now? ;)

x

Hell no! :D

benson
17-07-2007, 08:25 PM
Yeah and I guess you get a light too and then a long walk home! I'm ridiculously xcited - insured it today with Ducati and when they e mailed me the over note it all felt very real!

I've just bought black billett reservoir tops for clutch & brake fluid reservoirs (and some for the mosnter too so it doesn't feel sad!) and a red clutch pressure plate, stainless springs and black cups - got my eye on a black clutch cover too on EBAY - there truly is no hope!!!

benson
17-07-2007, 08:26 PM
Hi Mand - mid life crises are very liberating - I urge you to have one NOW!!!!!!

Mand
17-07-2007, 08:29 PM
Hi Mand - mid life crises are very liberating - I urge you to have one NOW!!!!!!

Oooo okay then! Right then, I am off to find my credit card..... ! :chuckle:

fatbloke
17-07-2007, 08:30 PM
Hell no! :D

that was years ago

benson
17-07-2007, 08:31 PM
I do believe you may be cruising for a bruising - but actually no doubt you'd rather like that!!!

Mand
17-07-2007, 08:32 PM
that was years ago

Who rattled your cage? :D

fatbloke
17-07-2007, 08:33 PM
sorry did i type that out loud?

Mand
17-07-2007, 08:34 PM
sorry did i type that out loud?

Yes you did. Terry.... dont forget you are older than me...... x

benson
17-07-2007, 08:36 PM
older and rounder! or was that wiser?

Mand
17-07-2007, 08:38 PM
older and rounder! or was that wiser?

Oh most definitely wiser! :chuckle:

fatbloke
17-07-2007, 08:58 PM
Yes you did. Terry.... dont forget you are older than me...... x

I know a whole year

Mand
17-07-2007, 09:10 PM
I know a whole year

A leap year? :chuckle:

scrumpster
17-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Personally, I aspire to the current S2R 1000, but love my 695 and need to do more miles before I consider moving "up". What's it like to move about, Scrumpster?
As someone who used to ride a Moto Morini 500 sport, I've been really interested to read the reviews of the new Corsaro. But it's too tall and really weighty, though there is still a distinctive MotoMo look to the engine profile. I would never have believed, all those years ago, that I could possess my very own Ducati. What a blast! Aren't we all lucky buggers!:woot:

Oh sorry someone asked me a question and I just seen it!! I have the S2R 800 and I think it's a great mover personally :thumbsup:

Pedro
17-07-2007, 09:15 PM
A leap year? :chuckle:

What? With his little stumpy legs? :chuckle:

singletrack
17-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Yeah and I guess you get a light too and then a long walk home! I'm ridiculously xcited - insured it today with Ducati and when they e mailed me the over note it all felt very real!

I've just bought black billett reservoir tops for clutch & brake fluid reservoirs (and some for the mosnter too so it doesn't feel sad!) and a red clutch pressure plate, stainless springs and black cups - got my eye on a black clutch cover too on EBAY - there truly is no hope!!!

It's nice to see you have started blinging it up already.
(And the black clutch cover is a MUST!)

Where did you get the billet resevoir tops?

Anne x

PS the excitement doesn't go away once you have got it :biggrin:

SazzaG
17-07-2007, 09:47 PM
I think you need the whole reservoirs in billet, not just the tops.

Rog has decided against the clutch cover for the moment, as what with the different position of the pegs, an open clutch could easily eat his draggin jeans!

Look at me - not even my bike, and I'm already accessorising it....

'Twas a sad day yesterday - we are back to being a single monster household. Dixxie isn't quite used to the freaky looking thing sharing her garage. Mind you, the garage is getting a new roof. 10 years it's leaked, then as soon as the HM arrives, we get it fixed. Hmm.

David Matthews
17-07-2007, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by Pixx
As someone who used to ride a Moto Morini 500 sport, I've been really interested to read the reviews of the new Corsaro. But it's too tall and really weighty, though there is still a distinctive MotoMo look to the engine profile. I would never have believed, all those years ago, that I could possess my very own Ducati. What a blast! Aren't we all lucky buggers!

I took the Morini Nine and a Half out for a spin while my bike was being serviced. I cracked it open as soon as I got on the open road and was surprised how quickly it took off. It was very loud and lively and I liked the high wide bars. It was only when I read about it afterwards I realised it was not a 950 but actually 1180cc and 117bhp! The Cosaro must be a powerful beast.

singletrack
17-07-2007, 10:01 PM
I think you need the whole reservoirs in billet, not just the tops.

Rog has decided against the clutch cover for the moment, as what with the different position of the pegs, an open clutch could easily eat his draggin jeans!

Look at me - not even my bike, and I'm already accessorising it....

'Twas a sad day yesterday - we are back to being a single monster household. Dixxie isn't quite used to the freaky looking thing sharing her garage. Mind you, the garage is getting a new roof. 10 years it's leaked, then as soon as the HM arrives, we get it fixed. Hmm.

Yes Sazza - I noticed that the clutch is very close to the footpeg, but isn't a problem for me with leathers or my goretex trousers.

The reservoirs are plastic so I guess they will need to be replaced as well as the covers. It might have to wait cos I decided to go for the termis after all :biggrin: They are being fitted at the first service next week.

I am glad the garage is getting a new roof - we can't have the beautiful HYM getting rusty.
Our garage will be monsterless next week as Andy's S2R1000 is going to a new home soon. :(

benson
17-07-2007, 10:30 PM
I've just gone for the tops being billet because that's the look I prefer - I think Slob called it utilitarian chic and who am I to argue?:chuckle: Had the lot in bling on the monster so time for a change...They were on EBAY - different colours available too, I just went for the black - I'll find you the guy I got them from and post it up.

Well done for the Termis - I'd be keen to hear how they sound and of course see how they look - I'll be waiting a while for new exhausts simply because I'm pretty much out of credit now!!

Happy new garage to Saz & Rog and happy continued riding to Singletrack - think we need a Hyper get together at some point!!!:thumbsup:

Melnie Mouse
18-07-2007, 08:06 AM
Ahh no Mel - I got an Aprilia Pegaso Strada :o
Same sort of thing, but even less cylinders ;)

yeah actually i've got a friend Richard who's got one of these he quite likes it, not sure what he wants to get next but he said it certainly does him for the moment...