PDA

View Full Version : S2R 800 Vs Bandit 1250

desmo
26-06-2007, 03:06 PM
Ok, bit of an odd comparision I know, but seeing that the Monster is a bit pillion unfriendly & I occassionally take my son to the BSB meetings I was toying with the ideal of keeping the Monster & buying the new Bandit 1250 (Naked version) during the winter.

My local friendly dealer let me test a brand new (350 mls on the clock) Bandit 1250 faired version as that's all they had, but the riding position is exactly the same as the unfaired, I took it on an 80mls test which included motorway, fast A roads, smaller A roads & B roads in changable conditions from perfectly dry to soaking wet.

Boy, does that Bandit have some stomp, max torque of 80 lbs ft @ 3750 rpm.
The gearbox is silky smooth, but somewhat redundant when on the move as more or less any gear will do, you can trickle along in 6th @ 30 mph with only 1500 rpm showing & it picks up as smooth as you like, amazing really seeing that the tickover speed is 1100 rpm.
At all speeds the engine is smooth & completely unstressed.

The brakes, were massively powerfull, so much so that 1 finger was enough, bad riding I know, but they were so powerfull I was nervous of overdoing it in the wet, even though it has ABS as standard, but I suppose with a pillion & bit of luggage they would probably feel ok.

The Bandit is 217 kgs but doesn't feel it, I had no problems with slow manoeuvres, holding it at lights etc, it also steered though the bends very well & at no point did it attempt to run wide.

But, I had absolutely no feedback whatsoever from the tyres / suspension, it made for a smooth ride, but on my Monster I can feel every road undulation & bump which is how I like it, I find it gives me the confidance & a feeling for what the tyres are doing, the bandit made me nervous of throwing it into a bends as I could feel nothing.

Also, because of the lack of feeling & the massive power being available at such low rpm, it made it a bit dodgy powering out of the bends, especially when the roads were wet, it would have been very easy to have spun up the rear & fallen on my ass, another problem with this as well is that the throttle action is very light & the revs rise very fast, sometimes hitting a bump in the road is enough to accidently open the thottle a small amount, which could be dodgy in a bend on a wet road.

As a commuter & tourer the bike would be good & with a pillion & some luggage added I am sure the brakes & lack of feel from the tyres / suspension would be much improved as at about £5200 new it is brilliant value, but ultimately it was fairly bland to ride solo & for the odd occasion that I do take a pillion makes it not worth it for me as I would much sooner go out on the Monster.

Desmo.

singletrack
26-06-2007, 03:34 PM
Why don't you try out one of the new hornets - good fun, and will probably take a pillion well.

Zimbo
26-06-2007, 03:35 PM
An SSie is fairly pillion friendly, well worth a try out!

barbican
26-06-2007, 07:41 PM
For the price of the Bandit you could get the higher torque S2R1000 and have a custom seat made for pilions

Chris & Nean
26-06-2007, 08:48 PM
I thought that learning to ride my S2R800 was quite difficult desmo but your description of riding a 1250 Bandit sounds even more scarey, i wonder if you can ultimatly "gell" with the Bandit though and feel at one with it and not intimidated by it, for sure you can with the S2R, but then the question of becoming bored with an S2R crops up, but how could that happen anyway? the ducati is loads of fun, so many options and possibilitys, aint we spoilt? :D

benson
26-06-2007, 09:03 PM
Buy my F650GS and then I can buy a hypermotard!!! :spin:

Seriously tho, the Hornet looks rather nice in its new incarnation and would be a good old hoot too....